What's new

Why is the Egyptian military negotiating Hawkeye E-2D advanced early warning aircraft

The SC

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Canada
e-2d-advanced-hawkeye_77683.jpg

Egypt is currently in advanced negotiations with the United States regarding a possible purchase of advanced Hawkeye E-2D early warning aircraft.

The E-2D provides broad battlefield awareness, especially in the field of information delivery, battle management, and air and missile defense operations.

The E-2D Advanced Hawkeye is the latest version of the E-2, which features an all-new suite of avionics including the new AN/APY-9 radar, radio array, mission computer, integrated satellite communications, flight management system, and improved T56 engines. -A- 427A, a glass cockpit and the possibility of mid-air refueling.

The radar:

The APY-9 radar features an active electronically-scanned array, which adds an electronic-scanning to the mechanical rotation of the radar. The E-2D includes missions for the co-pilot to act as the "Tactical Fourth Operator" (T4O), which can reconfigure the main cockpit display to show radar, IFF, link 16 (JTIDS)/CEC and access to all acquired data.

The E-2D conducted its first flight on August 3, 2007. On May 8, 2009, the E-2D used the Capability Collaboration System (CEC) to engage a land cruise missile with a standard SM-6 missile launched from another platform in an integrated test of the fire control system. . These two systems will form the basis of the Naval Integrated Fire Control – Air Combat (NIFC-CA) when introduced in 2015; The US Navy is considering adding other systems to the NIFC-CA network in the future.

Detecting stealth planes:

The E-2D is the Navy’s primary means of defending against low-observable cruise missiles, ballistic missiles and enemy aircraft. And, indeed, given the capabilities of its UHF-band radar, the E-2D may be the Navy’s trump card against future Russian and Chinese stealth aircraft.

Historically, UHF radars had accuracy and detection problems that made them ineffective for accurate targeting and fire control; Northrop Grumman and Lockheed claim that the APY-9 radar has solved these shortcomings of the APY-9 using advanced electronic scanning and high digital computing power via adaptive time/space processing. Under the Navy's NIFC-CA concept, the E-2D can direct fleet weapons, such as the AIM-120 AMRAAM and SM-6 missiles, at targets beyond the range or capabilities of the launcher.

Egypt will be the third operator of the E-2D version outside of the US:

Last year, the US State Department approved the sale of three E-2D Advanced Hawkeye aircraft and equipment to France for a total of $2 billion..to be delivered in 2026.

France will become the second foreign recipient of the E-2D version after Japan, which plans to purchase 13 aircraft in total to replace the same number of E-2C ground aircraft in the JSDF Air Force. So far, Japan has received four E-2Ds, three of which arrived in Japan in March 2019 and March 2020, and one in the United States for crew training.

https://www.defense-arabic.com/2021/08/05/كشف-الطائرات-الشبح؟-لماذا-يتفاوض-الجي/

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/th...lane-can-detect-stealth-fighters-51023944fcbe

Do you happen to know at what altitude it operates

Do you happen to know at what altitude it operates

Real altitude is classified, otherwise they would be giving it's most volatile defensive information. I bet you 25K is actually very low for where it actually can fly high enough. It also has other forms of self defense parameters that include EW and outside dedicated assistance.

However, I think this is only one of several way the EGY military is using the US aid to procure US aircraft since they have no interest in purchasing any more diluted F-16s. The US is unfortunately ion a path were it will eventually lose Egypt as its primary customer for military purchases. It should also see other better forms of AWACs IMO.

The real altitude is not known ..read more than 25,000ft ..
Real altitude is classified, otherwise they would be giving it's most volatile defensive information. I bet you 25K is actually very low for where it actually can fly high enough. It also has other forms of self defense parameters that include EW and outside dedicated assistance.

However, I think this is only one of several way the EGY military is using the US aid to procure US aircraft since they have no interest in purchasing any more diluted F-16s. The US is unfortunately ion a path were it will eventually lose Egypt as its primary customer for military purchases. It should also see other better forms of AWACs IMO.
AWACS fly very far from any danger so SAMs are nothing to to worry about in general.

That is what I was thinking and I asked it again but than again I didn't clearly get your message you said vaguely over 25ft which is correct and they didn't wanna give it's exact altitude to bypass defenses and it would be to valuable informations to share. The question was technically answered because it is over 25.000 FT without putting limit or specific range on it.. How could have I overlooked that and as they say sometimes the devil is in the details. You technically responded correct in the first attempt but I didn't catch it properly..

AWACS do fly high to avoid all interceptions from defense systems. I would say above 100.000 FT and perhaps even higher than that

With a two-generation leap in radar sensor capability and a robust network enabled capability, the E-2D Advanced Hawkeye will deliver critical, actionable data to joint forces and first responders. These advances provide warfighters with the necessary situational awareness to compress the time between initial awareness and active engagement.

Back
Top Bottom