What's new

Why is China called the longest continual civilization?

Whats are you talking about?.......you still have your culture and heritage.
The muslims ruled for just under a thousand years and they must have done the worst job ever in history of wiping out your "ANCIENT HERITAGE AND CULTURE" as it still exists.

These emperors are not good Muslims, its like claim Hitler as a good Catholic. They would kill there brothers, fathers, etc for power.. And take over smaller Muslim empires for resources..

Its like claiming the Pope in the medieval era a "Christian". Its not Christian to eradicate non-Christians(pagans), and its not Muslim to kill and wipe out whole cities. Its all politics and power..

Indian culture is I think also a continual civilization..

Shiva_Pashupati.jpg

harappan-pashupati-siva.gif

ELEPHANTA_CAVES2.jpg

Shiva_Murdeshwar_Karnataka.JPG

indus_god.jpg

985146266_f1e03f51c3.jpg

IMG_5385.jpg

Last edited:
Its in Pakistan right?????
P.S=Its being rebuilt...... with the help of S.Korean govt........also it has more to do with buddhism then hinduism..........(and we all now who was responsible to the eradication of buddhism frm the subcontinent...hindus).

from where buddhism comes from any idea??who's the founder of buddhism ?? who's GAUTAM BUDDHA ??

---------- Post added at 11:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

The Oldest Religion

Pakistan has a 9000 year old recorded history starting with Mehrgarh civilization and then followed by 5000 year old indus valley civilization

Pakistani 5000 year old indus valley civilization predates the chinese civilization

Pakistan is a cradle of civilization

Note: There is a difference between ancient india and present india.
Ancient india corresponds to present day pakistan which today bharat has hijacked to steal pakistan's 9000 year old glorious civilization. We dont have any shared history with present day india before 13 century/

You stole it from Indian history books.
Secondly, it was overrun by the Aryans.
Indus Valley Civilization disappeared long time back. No question of Pakistani civilization!

Pakistan has a 9000 year old recorded history starting with Mehrgarh civilization and then followed by 5000 year old indus valley civilization

Pakistani 5000 year old indus valley civilization predates the chinese civilization

Pakistan is a cradle of civilization

Note: There is a difference between ancient india and present india.
Ancient india corresponds to present day pakistan which today bharat has hijacked to steal pakistan's 9000 year old glorious civilization. We dont have any shared history with present day india before 13 century/
sure china can be called China called the longest continual civilization and pakistan can be called longest decaying civilization.

i see it this way, china has always been "chinese" in that each era succeeded the other without china losing itself or ever being colonized what what we would not consider chinese today, the invaders became chinese not the other way around our languege is spoken understood and use widely today. egypt were conquered by greeks then romans, they didnt become Egyptian, their gods are not worshiped any more, our are, their languege was even lost for a time and not used today, ours is continually in use. in india, multiply invasions happened and it was only unified twice(even that was incomplete) before the british. the british certainly didnt become india nor did they learn hindu in favor of english thus this is a discontinuity. in contrast, how many peoples managed to conquer china? mongols and Manchurians, both dynasty followed Chinese traditions of rule and promoted Confucian values and learn chinese rather than china learning their languege, they added to our history and culture rather than take away. Manchurians lost their own language in the process. more mongols live in china today than Mongolia, era had its own distinctive successor state(despite multiply kingdoms they all fought to become or as the single legitimate ruler of all china).

to sum it up,

our language is still used after unfication(as oppose to egypt or Babylonians and india has many many languege(not unified)

were never taken over by peoples who are not consider your people today

each era had it own successor state(as an example Indian kingdoms did not fight for/as nor represented all of india, our three kindoms did for instance)

traditions from thousands of years past still followed today

Pretty much how I see it as well. China's strong cultural and ethnic identity is the one constant in its history. One historian described China as a "sponge", whatever people set to conquer China, in turn is culturally "conquered" and ends calling themselves Chinese.

Pretty much how I see it as well. China's strong cultural and ethnic identity is the one constant in its history. One historian described China as a "sponge", whatever people set to conquer China, in turn is culturally "conquered" and ends calling themselves Chinese.

Well dont worry about it, because China has awesome empires like Han, Tang, Song, etc.

Han empire being the best. :victory:

Last edited:
Only the stupid things like foot binding, drugs and illiteracy for women.

India on the other hand has many wonderful traditions such as female illiteracy, dowry, honor killings, domestic abuse and burning widows.

I overlooked this post and am just posting a reply, so here it goes:

1. Female Illiteracy:

While not in great numbers there are certain female writers from erstwhile who have written great books like Molla who has written Ramayana and she is from South India and many others. Also if u see there are modern examples of Queens like Jhansi bai if u consider Queens for your count.

All said and done one has to understand that the ancient India is an agrarian economy and how many males do u think would be educated leave aside females? This point has bearing on another of your points, so keep this in mind. One has to understand that treating women and second rate is not something unique to India, while it is not something to be appreciated it happened.

Dowry:

One could dig lot of information on the origins of this phenomenon if properly taken up, I will speak of the state where i come from and i think this will hold good for all others too. You see as i said above the agrarian India was interested in field work than education and here one needs lot of man power and this is known to everybody. Elders have said this and some written materials in my mother tongue have also brought this up, it seems at first when marriages were done the wife coming in was an asset to the grooms family as it adds one person more for work and the girl's family looses one worker, so believe it or not the groom used to reimburse the girl's family with either money or rice or other produce. Infact as recently as 70 to 80 years back some marriages happened where the grooms paid for marriage to bride's parents. However this reasoning is specualtive to certain extent for sure.

Over the period this practise went on to change in many forms, i think the sex ratio must have been playing its part.

It is heartening that many a person now realizes the mistake in this and they are changing. So one can never find out why the practise started and with natural time passing decayed in to present form.

Honor Killings:

This seems to be a recent invention and there were never such things going in our history i can say for sure.

Domestic abuse:

Don't say this does not happen in China!!! it has been found to be prevalent in each and every country of this world.

Burning widows:

Do u know that there are no such things going on for atleast a century here in India?? The genesis of this practise was because of an understandable one though it turned in to a nightmare over the years as the basic reason for it vanished.

As foreign invasions over India increased it was found that abduction of women and young women and the usual abuse that follows. The huns and then muslims etc invaded , the woman rather than get abused chose to jump in fire.

This was abolished almost a century back though.

So now u decide and tell me what u think mister.

ALL the F*cking problem lies in the Pakistan's History book

listen to this and you will understand when Pakistan came into world map?
LISTEN CLEARLY WHAT he says at 3:50 ...:hitwall: history books my god...

Last edited by a moderator:

Very true.

But this is not what makes China unique; our thread is titled Why is China called the longest continual (should that be continuous?) civilisation? Strong cultural identity is available elsewhere; the ability to absorb a wide variety of culturally diverse invaders is emphatically available elsewhere.

What is the unique factor?

Your description was not a fair one to China and the Chinese, as it seems to emphasise ethnicity; if ethnic integrity was to have been the dominant characteristic and differentiator, we can look at a number of primitive cultures and hold them up as examples of civilisations-in-the-making, though not of a comparable sort.

As things stand, at least two civilisations have similar ages and qualify for the description. From the debate that is available in the previous exchanges, it seems that there will be no agreement. Let us amicably agree to disagree.

ALL the F*cking problem lies in the Pakistan's History book

listen to this and you will understand when Pakistan came into world map?
LISTEN CLEARLY WHAT he says at 3:50 ...:hitwall: history books my god...
:whistle:

oh my god, this video is hilarious.

I
Which gives us an apt entry into consideration of what we called ourselves. There is no contradiction in fact between the story of the Aryans coming into India, and the universality of the term Bharata Varsha. You are an heir of the legacy of Bharata Varsha, just as much as a resident of Swat in northern Pakistan is, or my fellow-countrymen of Bangladesh are.

The people who came into the passes of the north-west were a mixed people, united only in their speaking that Indo-Aryan tongue which today we know as Rg Vedic Sanskrit. They found that there were others before them, the Rg Veda being full of their victories over the walled cities of these autocthones, whom they called Dasa and Dasyu, Pani and various other names. But they themselves passed on only the language that they spoke, Sanskrit, and left no trace of themselves genetically. The reason was that they were too few in number. The original inhabitants of the land were probably Dravidians speaking (strictly, Dravidian-Kol speaking), but genetically, even they were submerged in a sea of inhabitants whose genetic make-up had not changed since the Palaeolithic age. Neither the Aryan speakers nor their predecessors the Dravidian speakers made much impression on the masses who inhabited Bharata Varsha.

On the subject of subjugation of the country, as far as I can make out, this was a phenomenon confined to the Indus Plain, the Gangetic Plain and the Narmada Plain. The other cultural coparceners, the Brahmaputra Plain, the Godavari Plain and the Kaveri Plain, were not affected by this process of conquest. So there was not much question of the conquest of the Telugu people by the Indo-Aryan speaking tribes; it is in the highest degree unlikely that they got that far. It was later, under the Mauryas and the Guptas (to some extent) that the lands of the Telugus, counting the Kannadigas with them, were affected by northern conquest, and after that, honours were even.

This is my answer in brief. Please let me know if any point remains requiring further clarification, and I will be happy to oblige.

Ahh! The Joe Shearer theory.:D For years Indians have been fed the conventional Aryan invasion theory which had clear divisions between the North Indian Aryans & the South Indian Dravidians. Then some research cast doubts on the racial separation because they found that when compared as a whole North Indians didn't look very different from South Indians. The Aryan theory of driving the Dravidians to the South remained however till recently a favourite of the historians partial to left. The big problem that completely upset everyone's calculation was the genetic studies which suggest no major changes across the Indian population & suggests specifically that these have remained unchanged for 10's of thousands of years. Where does that leave the conventional Aryan theory? In tatters certainly! The theory Joe is proposing is to somehow match the genetic facts with some hopeful conjectures. While his theory is plausible, that's about all it is. It brings with it different problems that defy many conventional notions & is in opposition to historical facts. The north Indian plains were known as Aryavarta; the land of tha Aryans. However going by the JS theory, there were never enough Aryans in the first place. So why call a land after an extinct people. In any case the references to conflict in the Rg Veda is not referring to the gangetic plains but further west.. If there were large populations already present in the gangetic plains (necessary in the JS theory to genetically absorb & nullify the impact of outsiders), why is there no large cases of disturbances in the 1st millennium BCE & why do tribes already speak of aryavarta & being Aryan all the way to Nepal.(the Buddha's clan -the Sakyas) Are we to assume that whole populations meekly just bought the conquerors history & culture lock, stock & barrel. Boggles the imagination. The Sanskrit term Dravida was also specifically used w.r.t. Tamils (never ceases to amuse me that the Tamil chauvinists essentially use the term given to them by the "Aryans"). Not clear whether they included the other populations in that term. In any case S.India became a mirror image of the North in terms of social structure(caste system) which is again odd if you accept that N.India essentially became subjugated to a genetically non existent people. If the South did not face such a problem, then what made them accept these supposed N.Indian ideas.

It is not my case that I have a better explanation. I don't & in any case Joe is the historian, not me. It needs to be accepted that the genetic studies have thrown up stuff that is simple not explainable with the evidence presently available. I think we need to recognise that a large part of our early history is shrouded in deep fog & that we might only come up with conjectures till hopefully we find one that fits the available evidence.

Ahh! The Joe Shearer theory.:D For years Indians have been fed the conventional Aryan invasion theory which had clear divisions between the North Indian Aryans & the South Indian Dravidians. Then some research cast doubts on the racial separation because they found that when compared as a whole North Indians didn't look very different from South Indians. The Aryan theory of driving the Dravidians to the South remained however till recently a favourite of the historians partial to left. The big problem that completely upset everyone's calculation was the genetic studies which suggest no major changes across the Indian population & suggests specifically that these have remained unchanged for 10's of thousands of years. Where does that leave the conventional Aryan theory? In tatters certainly! The theory Joe is proposing is to somehow match the genetic facts with some hopeful conjectures. While his theory is plausible, that's about all it is. It brings with it different problems that defy many conventional notions & is in opposition to historical facts. The north Indian plains were known as Aryavarta; the land of tha Aryans. However going by the JS theory, there were never enough Aryans in the first place. So why call a land after an extinct people. In any case the references to conflict in the Rg Veda is not referring to the gangetic plains but further west.. If there were large populations already present in the gangetic plains (necessary in the JS theory to genetically absorb & nullify the impact of outsiders), why is there no large cases of disturbances in the 1st millennium BCE & why do tribes already speak of aryavarta & being Aryan all the way to Nepal.(the Buddha's clan -the Sakyas) Are we to assume that whole populations meekly just bought the conquerors history & culture lock, stock & barrel. Boggles the imagination. The Sanskrit term Dravida was also specifically used w.r.t. Tamils (never ceases to amuse me that the Tamil chauvinists essentially use the term given to them by the "Aryans"). Not clear whether they included the other populations in that term. In any case S.India became a mirror image of the North in terms of social structure(caste system) which is again odd if you accept that N.India essentially became subjugated to a genetically non existent people. If the South did not face such a problem, then what made them accept these supposed N.Indian ideas.

It is not my case that I have a better explanation. I don't & in any case Joe is the historian, not me. It needs to be accepted that the genetic studies have thrown up stuff that is simple not explainable with the evidence presently available. I think we need to recognise that a large part of our early history is shrouded in deep fog & that we might only come up with conjectures till hopefully we find one that fits the available evidence.

True only assumptions are what left for us in this regard. For me there is no such invasion of the kind explained though.

No subjugation crap, people moved around this vast land and settled where they want thats all.

I will give you an example, i am a brahmin and the subsect of my mothers says aruvela niyogi (6000 niyogi). The 6000 here is the number of the people who crossed over from north india in to Andhra pradesh a very long time back like some 400 to 500 years back, but still they are called so. Now my father's ancestors as told by my grandfather had come from Maharashtra to Tamilnadu at the time Sivaji Maharaj's conquest on Tamilnadu and settled there (somewhere in Erode District). Now my grandfather working as a govt employee moved to Andhra and settled there.

Look at the tricky sequence of my personal history :D i think similar events must have occured then too. One thing that irks me is the scientific words like Indo European , Indo Iranian , Proto Indo whatever :hitwall: can't make head or tail of it. What do these fellers want to say about the exact origins i.e like from where it started is not clear. :disagree:

A caveat: The only sensible part of Bang Galore's comment, one that every student of history will agree with whole-heartedly, is the following:

I think we need to recognise that a large part of our early history is shrouded in deep fog & that we might only come up with conjectures till hopefully we find one that fits the available evidence.

:rofl:

I should have guessed that having read Vetalpanchavingshati would have zero effect on Bang Galore; he follows me around the globe with the exact same comment whenever I make the mistake of putting out the available information in orderly fashion. Never any explanation of his own though; in good Indian philosophical and disputational tradition, he confines himself to 'neti! neti!'.

Ahh! The Joe Shearer theory.

Thank you kindly. I suppose this is fame, and I should get used to it. No royalties payable, nor commissions, I presume?

:D For years Indians have been fed the conventional Aryan invasion theory which had clear divisions between the North Indian Aryans & the South Indian Dravidians.

One basic issue which of course isn't big enough to raise Bang Galore's eyebrows is the existence of two hugely different language groups, with wholly dissimilar grammar, next to each other, each in its own continguous bloc, distributed among genetically identical people. But to Bang Galore, the existence of problems like this is not important. Rather like Sonia Gandhi; never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity. With an issue like this in front of him, he would rather concentrate on the political character of the analysts dealing with the question, or the probable political character, or the possible political character. Whatever. An opportunity to miss out on the main issue, analysis of the facts available, not to be missed.

Quite typical of my dear friend. Although I haven't ever met him, and don't have much in common with him, he spends so much time in close proximity that he must either be a friend or otherwise attracted to me. As I am sixty and well past the age when my pheromones mattered, it must be friendship.

Then some research cast doubts on the racial separation because they found that when compared as a whole North Indians didn't look very different from South Indians.

The racial explanation, as Comrade BG fails (conveniently) to add, was a British explanation, and was thoroughly discredited by the end of the 19th century. In the 20th century, the only place where it existed was in the wet dreams of the Nazis in Germany, and of the Brahmins in Indian society. Also in the minds of some of the more obnoxious elements in Muslim society who claimed superiority or better breeding because they were descended from Arab, or Turk, or Persian; the criterion being distinction from local Indian gene-pools. None of this is credible or supported by reasonable scientists any longer. In saying this, I am uneasily aware of technicians, even master scientist-technicians, like Robert Shockley as exceptions to this general rule.

The Aryan theory of driving the Dravidians to the South remained however till recently a favourite of the historians partial to left.

There was never a school of leftists or those partial to the left, whatever that curiousity of a phrase might mean, proposing that the Dravidians had been driven to the South by the Aryans. I can only surmise that in Bang Galore's clouded mind, his various enemies and imagined enemies have got inextricably intermingled, and given rise to this nonsense. This was, if anything, a Brahminical myth in north and south, glanced at in passing by historians of all shades of political persuasion.

The big problem that completely upset everyone's calculation was the genetic studies which suggest no major changes across the Indian population & suggests specifically that these have remained unchanged for 10's of thousands of years.

The big problem that completely upsets Bang Galore's Dungeons and Dragons view of history is that the Aryan race theory was overthrown some seventy-five years or so before the pioneering work of Cavalli-Sforza on race and genetics. To history analysts - for want of a better term: they will surely not want to be part of the impure left and be described even with a qualifying adjective as amateur historians - like Bang, if one may be informal with him, is that these minor gaps of nearly a century are easily bridged. Anne McCaffrey showed the way. Just close your eyes, enter the world of the past, and SUMMON the dragons. They will appear with a puff of smoke and a ravening appetite at your doorstep. I am ashamed to admit that I have not felt the need to replace historican analysis with this whizz-Bang school of getting results from contradictory facts, but there are those....many of those, one is tempted to say there are those Galore.

Where does that leave the conventional Aryan theory? In tatters certainly!

It was in tatters, as I mentioned earlier, and have mentioned many times earlier in many earlier writings on this subject, around the end of the 19th century, alas! All my writings in this forum, not so many that they may not be examined one at a time using the excellent tools left at the disposal of curious minds inhabiting this forum, have consistently maintained that Aryan is not a race-identification, it describes a linguistic group, period.

So much for the fanciful account of the conventional Aryan theory, something which never existed, and its being left in tatters.Just to make sure that there is no further embroidery of the facts to make another Bayeux tapestry, with as much foundation in fact as that original propaganda piece, let me remind readers that all that I have stated can be summed up very simply:

Various bands of tribes of mixed blood, speaking an Indo-Aryan language and separated from their kinsmen speaking Avestan Iranian, an eastern Indo-Iranian language, descended from the steppes around the Oxus and the Jaxartes down through the mountain slopes bordering Afghanistan and south Asia. They found opposition and dealt with it, according to their own self-serving accounts, militarily, apparently with great success, and in spite of internecine battles among themselves. While they were not so large in numbers as to affect the genetic structure of the population that they encountered, their use of iron, and the relative settled and peaceful nature of the settlements that they encountered enabled them to impose themselves and their language on the region in the Gangetic, the Indus and the Narmada Plains. The original inhabitants of the rest of south Asia, the Brahmaputra Plain, the Godavari Plain and the Kaveri Plain, remained more or less undisturbed, and continued to speak their original Dravidian languages.

The theory Joe is proposing is to somehow match the genetic facts with some hopeful conjectures. While his theory is plausible, that's about all it is.

The Oracle has spoken. We must be grateful for small mercies.

It brings with it different problems that defy many conventional notions & is in opposition to historical facts.

Ah! Historical facts raise their ugly heads. Stand by, folks! Another episode of Dungeons and Dragons coming our way.

Conventional notions, of course, being those notions that Bang Galore has held, and nobody has bothered to knock out of his head. I wonder why; could it be ennui?

The north Indian plains were known as Aryavarta; the land of tha Aryans. However going by the JS theory, there were never enough Aryans in the first place. So why call a land after an extinct people.

For the exact same reason as the Aryan languages spreading over what became known as Aryavarta; a small number of steppe-dwelling tribals speaking these languages using iron and the horse conquered a much larger, peaceful settled population with a much lower level of military technology. The conquered or compromising original populations, thought to have spoken Dravidian-Kol languages, accepted the conquerors' languages, and abandoned their own, except in the forests and village fastnesses; even today, these languages are alive and well in the forests and villages in Aryavarta.

Secondly, it was never an extinct people; it was a people that merged with the local population but never lost their memory of having been a different people. Similar things have happened before, and after. If evidence is required, it can be supplied - in great profusion.

In any case the references to conflict in the Rg Veda is not referring to the gangetic plains but further west..

This is what happens when confused minds try to deal with evidence, with an at best imperfect grasp of the evidence. The Rg Veda was one of four Vedas, and these were clearly, from internal evidence as well as from linguistic developments very clearly visible to trained linguists, composed at different times and reduced to writing in the same order that they were composed.

There is no historical record, in the accepted sense of historical record, about these incursions. The evidence that we have is literary, through the evidence of the literature available, which is NOT confined to the Rg Veda; archaeological, through some few archaeological remains available to us; and genetic, through the studies that have been conducted from the 60s on by Cavalli-Sforza and his group.

In the absence of historical evidence, we are reduced to a combination of linguistic and historical back-referencing, which usually makes most established historians very cross; we are not used to doing history based on such meagre and slip-shod record-keeping. Since this is what is needed to be done, however, it has been done. The literary sources available have been analysed, analysed threadbare, if that is of any consequence, and some information extracted. While a satisfactory historical record does not exist until we are able to calibrate events in south Asia with events in the rest of the world, for instance, with Europe by 323 BC, and with China by 290 BC, by back-calculation from here (largely from 323 BC) some dim outlines have emerged. These dim outlines depend not just on the Rg Veda but on the other bodies of writing, the other three Vedas, the Brahman, the Samhitas, the Upanishads, then the Puranas, and finally the two epics, which have a peculiar hallowed status in south Asia, unlike other epics in other parts of the world.

For these reasons, we need to take into account the entire body of literary evidence, using them with discrimination and with understanding of their context and their importance. The Rg Veda gives linguistic proximity with Avestan Iranian, geographical location around the Afghan mountain passes and the plains immediately to their east, and temporal location preceding all other literary evidence. They must be used in that connection and no other, not to predict what happened long after they had been frozen into customary form, and even written down.

It is clear from other written evidence, including Puranic evidence, and the evidence of the epics, that the narration that the Rg Veda started went on. It continued uninterrupted, though not visibly connected, requiring thorough and encyclopaedic knowledge of the rest of the literature. It goes on to describe the outlines of Aryavarta, and the struggles that the tribes went through in order to prevail, and they did have a drive to prevail.

If there were large populations already present in the gangetic plains (necessary in the JS theory to genetically absorb & nullify the impact of outsiders), why is there no large cases of disturbances in the 1st millennium BCE

And who said that there were no such records?

First, we need to correct your dates.

The Rg Veda covered events more or less within the period 1700 BC to 1100 BC, the others correspondingly later, down to 900 or 800 BC. 800 BC is the earliest ascribed date of the Mahabharata, and its final recensions may have been written as late as 600 or 800 AD.

If we are to watch for information regarding the spread of the tribals and their languages through Aryavarta, we are looking for information relating to the period 1700 BC to 600 BC, not later than that, so certainly the 1st millennium BC is a little later than we should be looking, although its beginning, 1000 BC to 600 BC, is fine. This is covered, if we observe, by the later Vedas, and the Puranas, and by the Mahabharata. This is what we should be looking at.

Do we find evidence? Remember, we are looking at quasi-historical evidence; evidence in literature that then has to be deconstructed to yield what we are seeking. And the literature doesn't let us down.

It is filled with instances in, for example, the epics. Who do you think was the evil forces destroying the yagnas of rishis and munis in their forest fastnesses, the evil forces that had to be quelled by Aryan warriors, the nobles of their tribes as the name implies, by force? Do you not see clearly in this the quelling of guerrilla action against isolated settlements of Indo-Aryan speaking tribals?

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing,
Drink deep, or drink not of the Pierian spring.

& why do tribes already speak of aryavarta & being Aryan all the way to Nepal.(the Buddha's clan -the Sakyas)

It is anybody's guess what this reference is about.All this expansion and acceptance of the languages took place in the period 1700 BC to 600 BC. Where is the contradiction?

Are we to assume that whole populations meekly just bought the conquerors history & culture lock, stock & barrel. Boggles the imagination.

Ah, the man has a delicate imagination, and it should not have been rudely boggled. Fair enough. Let us look through our tomes and present him with some evidence.

1. A small handful of Attic Greeks conquered Greece and the islands; the original inhabitants, much larger in number, who spoke the lost language Pelasgian, were still in possession of their language in pockets as late as the sixth century BC. Herodotus' imagination boggled, too, but unlike our hero, he recorded this event faithfully.

2. A small number of Norman French conquered England. In spite of their numbers being minute, Norman French became the court language of England immediately.

It largely removed the native ruling class, replacing it with a foreign, French-speaking monarchy, aristocracy, and clerical hierarchy. This, in turn, brought about a transformation of the English language and the culture of England in a new era often referred to as Norman England.

Sounds familiar, eh? Now, for the Dungeons and Dragons lot, the total number of Normans involved, then and subsequently, was 8,000. Digest that number, and then think of this:

Large numbers of English people, especially from the dispossessed former landowning class, ultimately found Norman domination unbearable and emigrated.

The imagination of the writers of the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles also boggled. However, to them, it was not a reason for disbelieving the evidence, but for calming their too-easily boggling imaginations.

This is getting boring. Last example:

3. A small number of Spaniards conquered the whole continent of South America. The number is estimated to be less than 2%.

Throughout the conquest, the numbers of people within the indigenous nations greatly exceeded the Spanish conquistadors; on average the Spanish population never exceeded 2% of the native population.

The imagination of the Incas must have boggled. However, South America became Spanish speaking for the most part (yes, Victoria, i can spell Brazil).

TO BE CONTINUED.

Back
Top Bottom