What's new

Why India needs to rethink the Rafale deal

http://www.ipcs.org/pdf_file/issue/SR126-NSP-IndiaandtheRafale.pdf

I agree. Rafale is miles ahead of the SU-27 in avionics and with SPECTRA is unbeatable. SU-27 RCS is huge compared to the Rafale RCS add Meteor and AWAKS they stand no chance, and anyhow Rafale is MULTIROLE not sure why they are comparing SU-27 to Rafale when the SU-30MKI and Pak-FA would be swatting SU-27 out of the sky like mosquitoes lol

when you are talking to 'common folks' you can sell any kind of BS. You can tell them 'this is cheaper', you are being ripped off etc.

If the French are asking more than 20 billions, then it's better to drop the deal in favor of F-35s.

in the F-35 you are getting Rafale/FGFA performance instead of operating two different jets
and by 2016/17 might be looking at $80 mil a plane.

problem is no ToT, but think we wouldn't mind investing some the earning right back into India's defence sector

still love the Rafale and who knows about Pak-FA

Russians are drunk....Too much vodka!!!!

Rafale(ToT) completely worth it... bt I hope it wont cross $20 Bil!!

LoL... BUtt Hurt Russian, First they say Rafale is not capable fighter now this crap..All this makes me think the deal is very close to be signed and the Russians are sweating,
No one know the exact cost.. this 20Bil or 30Bil are written by Jingo Journals of India.. there's no way we are going to spend 120Mil for each fighter, only when the deal is sealed we'd know the real cost, the Cost here given covers the entire fleets life circle ammunition and spar parts and so on... if we consider in this way even a MKI would cost up to 100Mil or more

While the cost factor is justified ,Maneuvers performed by air shows by su-35 hardly indicate its combat capability as they are performed at 140 knots where no combat takes place and TVC which is useful at low speeds becomes a liability at higher speeds as it drains a lot of energy. Kinematically the su-35 doesnt fare well against the rafale in terms of T/W ratio,wing loading, transient performance so comparing fighters with air show performance is lame.

it was the cover provided by the MiG-29 that spooked – and demoralised – the PAF pilots. :haha:. My question is? Why you didn;t entered our territory. LOL

That sort of mentality is for the losers. Come when you have won even one war, jaali degree engineer.

LoL... BUtt Hurt Russian, First they say Rafale is not capable fighter now this crap..All this makes me think the deal is very close to be signed and the Russians are sweating,
No one know the exact cost.. this 20Bil or 30Bil are written by Jingo Journals of India.. there's no way we are going to spend 120Mil for each fighter, only when the deal is sealed we'd know the real cost, the Cost here given covers the entire fleets life circle ammunition and spar parts and so on... if we consider in this way even a MKI would cost up to 100Mil or more

Whatever the cost, it will not be only for the fighters. The French will be providing additional TOT under the table in this deal. It is more of a package deal. I am guessing engines (both heli and jet) and probably space related (rockets).

Last edited:
They're pretty desperate to grab the $30 billion contract! So they'll do their darnedest to put a spoke in the wheel and spread canards.

My friend who was a test pilot at HAL, Bangalore, has flown most fighters including the Eurofighter, Gripen, MiGs, F-16s, SUs etc, including the SU-27 in Russia that the Russian official mentioned. The Rafale is miles ahead on most counts. Period! There's nothing close to it! The avionics especially are simply mind blowing! The SU-27 which the PLAAF has, and which this Russian official is bragging about, is nowhere in the picture.

Hi,

For that reason---I have always stated---that time is the worst enemy of a major weapons purchase. So many delays----so many new thins coming out---pilots know what they want----pubic thinks that fighter aircraft like IPHONES----that you need to change model and buy the newest everytime.

I think that it must have been a shock for paf that idia picked this aircraft over the Eurofighter or whatever the u s was pitching.

What is there to think...? Just scrap this deal altogether...

Rafael today only bettered by f22,raptor.

Everything else inferior or level

Rafael today only bettered by f22,raptor.

Everything else inferior or level
Not exactly you can say that in case of Spectra but Raptor is Air superiority fighter I guess and raffle is multi role, just like f35 I reckon that.

Back
Top Bottom