What's new

Why Does the Muslim World Lag in Science?

Yet the Nobel Prize alludes!

Publications are no indicator of great strides.

Now, don't give the usual statement of yours!

Baghdadi, you are a Bangladsehi, but you write only of Pakistan and nothing about Bangladesh. Are you a Pakistan diplomat in Bangladesh and so use the Bangladesh flag to indicate your 'location'?

I, for one, believe Bangladesh has made great strides too. Let's hear of them too!

Is the above your post or is it from some publication. If from a publication, you should give the link or it is copyright infringement and the forum will get banjoed!

If it is from a publication, one should not pretend that it is one's own!

Are you living in dreams and how much enmity do you have in your hearts. When I just gave some datas regarding the Educational conditions getting better in muslim world, you started talks about Noble Prize?
Yes it will take many from the coming generations towards this prize. Whatever happening is in its infancy and you can't compare it with the funding, dedication and infrastructure already stablished for centuries for education and R & D.
Indians alos were very active in previous centuries but they can not be compared with west what they have right now. They also need to catch up with the west in R & D and they have started it now. Try to be rational.

Just see the statistics of resarch publications world wide and you will know where the countries with most research publications stands as compared with those neglecting this field. Although its just one way of measuring the development.
The datas I have given belongs to the muslim world and not Pakistan although I have discussed many topics in respect to Pakistan as it were related to Pakistan topic and there is no diplomacy.

KBaghdadi,

You are in a religious stupor filled with consumed hate which is more dangerous than a dream.

Please read Mr Niaz's post, which is so excellently written and is so moving. It contains only facts and interpretation that bond people and encourages academic interest. Think of the names he has mentioned and the great contribution to the world they made and try to emulate them and not wail weep and chest beat in self pity!

Self pity is the basest of emotions!

Your comments are too antediluvian for even musing on!

You are consumed by self pity and only know how to heap blame on others. Do some introspection and get cracking instead of wailing hysterically in a corner.

I am sorry that I had to write this since I wanted to maintain an even keel around here and I must say it was no problem since most posters do excite academic interest. However, your total dependence on hate and your scriptures to justify is a bit too archaic a sentiment for the current environment where all must put their shoulder to the wheel to progress.

Had I been an inmate of the Lal Majzid, I would have believed you.

Progress is the key word and unshackling from the historical baggage and akin claptrap is the watchword of the day.

My apologies to the other members of the forum.

@ Niaz Sahib

excellent post sir, i Salute u.

Mullahs closed the door of Ijtehad and anything which they could not understand was labelled as 'Kufr'.

i have read alot about mullahs and their actions.......some critisizing them, some calling them the "keepers of Islam"......but this statement made by Niaz saahib is probably the simplest, yet the best explanation of the mullah's actions.

Baghdadi,

Instead of blaming the world, do read Mr Niaz's post in another thread that I take the liberty of cutting a pasting.

Mr Niaz and the DAWN article belong to the new bold world that wants to introspect rather than wail and hope that things will change.

Cry and you cry alone, laugh and the world laughs with you is, I believe, an adage!

Another poignant article published in todays Dawn

Please note the difference in their attitude and yours. You would have blamed all and sundry and chucked in a quote from the scriptures as the be all and end all of everything!

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a lost cause, commendable on part of Salim, Niaz and Doc, But a lost cause, as Niaz sir put it, they will win in the end.

I would recommend you guys to read Dr. Allama Iqbal's book entitled “The Reconstruction of Religious Thought in Islam,” which stresses the need for rational analysis through Ijtehad as well as the need for those called upon to do this analysis to be men of piety, knowledge and truth.

Ijtihad and science

By Prof Khwaja Masud

For three hundred years, the doors of the tavern have been closed.

— Allama Iqbal

WHY is it that for the last three hundred years, the Muslim world has been so deficient in producing scientists and philosophers? Why is it that even now when the Muslim world commands such immense resources, we lag so far behind the West in scholarship and technology?

The answer is clear: for three hundred years, the door of Ijtihad that is creative thinking has been closed. Almost one-ninth of the verses of the Quran stress ‘tafakkur’ and ‘tadabbur’. Yet, by and large, the Muslim world pays no heed to them, that is, they turn their back on critical thinking.

Instead, we are fond of platitudes. We love clichés. We bask in the glory of the past. We dread the new, the original, and the novel. We revel in interpretations, but we flinch from creativity. We are good at repeating moth-eaten, time worn thoughts, views and traditions. Using Toynbee’s terminology, we are in the stranglehold of the ‘nemesis of mimesis’. Intellectual stagnation and spiritual degeneration are our dismal lot.

It is ingrained in our psychology that correct answers already exist, and are to be found in books or from authorities, religious or secular. Teachers disperse truth, parents are always right and leaders are omniscient. They act like philosopher kings, often uttering unchallenged banalities. Questioning authority is disrespectful and un-Islamic.

It is time to deconstruct, following the true Quranic spirit of iconoclasm.

Scholars may differ about problems concerning science, but they are unanimous as regards the need for a particular weltanschauung (world view) for the birth, growth and blossoming of science. Science cannot develop in an atmosphere vitiated by obscurantism, dogmatism, fanaticism, intolerance and irrationalism. Science needs an intellectual environment whose keynote is enlightenment with rationalism, pluralism and humanism as its driving forces.

Historically it was the renaissance which prepared the ground for the emergence of modern science. The Dark Age which preceded the renaissance in Europe was dominated by scholasticism with philosophy as the handmaiden of theology. D’Alembert called scholasticism “the so called science of the centuries of ignorance”. The scholastics used to discuss such ‘profound’ problems as the number of angels who could dance on the tip of a needle. Bacon compared the scholastics to the spiders, content to weave cobwebs, ignoring the universe and what was happening around them.

Scholasticism suffered from (i) indifference to facts (ii) arguments from authority (iii) undue emphasis on verbal subtleties (iv) reasoning in matters which observation alone could decide (v) blind faith.

Modern science had to make way by routing scholasticism. It was Descartes (1596-1650) who performed this task. He was not only the founder of modern philosophy, but also, along with Galileo and Newton, one of the creators of modern science. He started off on his philosophical odyssey by the dictum: “In order to reach the truth, it is necessary, once in one’s life, to put everything in doubt.”

Modern science has flourished in an atmosphere marked by philosophical skepticism. It does not take anything for granted. It puts to doubt all dogmas, all certainties. The beliefs of a scientist are tentative, not final. They are not based on authority, but on evidence. Modern science is iconoclastic in dealing with convictions based on tradition or authority. As opposed to scholasticism which believed in order to understand, modern science understands in order to believe. As such there is no dichotomy between modern science and the Quranic spirit, with its constant appeal to reasoning, thinking, knowing and deliberating: afala takaloon, afala tadabburoon, afala tafakkaroon.

Science demands immense patience in observation and great boldness in framing hypotheses. The test of scientific truth is patient collection of facts combined with bold guessing as to the law binding facts together.

Science demands an inquisitive spirit, a pioneering zeal and an enterprising élan. Science advances when there is unity between theory and practice. Any dichotomy between theory and practice spells disaster for scientific progress. The Greek science withered away, because it wholly and solely depended on deduction. Though the Greeks scaled the most sublime heights of speculative thought, their aversion to experimentation and manual work, closed the door for further scientific advancement.

Induction was a great gift of Islam to humanity. “Neither Roger Bacon nor his later namesake has any title to be credited with having introduced the experimental method,” says Briffault in his book Making of Humanity, and adds, “The experimental method of Arabs was by Bacon’s time widespread and eagerly cultivated throughout Europe.”

According to Iqbal, “For purposes of knowledge, the Muslim culture fixes its gaze on the concrete and the finite.” He exalts the scientific spirit at the expense of speculative flights into metaphysics. By giving examples of Ibn-i-Khaldun’s view of history, Ibn-i-Maskwaih’s theory of life as evolutionary movement and Musa al-Khwarazmi’s shift from arithmetic to algebra, Iqbal concludes: “All lines of Muslim thought converge on a dynamic concept of the universe.”

Thus Islam rejects a static view of the universe and regards it as always changing and evolving. According to the Quran, change is one of the greatest signs of God, and is explicitly implied in the verse: “Every day has its own glory.”

The Islamic principle to keep pace with the changing world and an evolving universe is Ijtihad (exertion to form an independent opinion). Creativity is the essence of Ijtihad. The driving force of the scientific technological revolution (STR) is creativity, developing new ideas and sailing in uncharted seas.

Science must precede technology, because science is the tree and technology is the fruit. Today, as never before, the political stability of a country depends on its economic prowess, which is determined by the STR.

In order to usher in STR, we have to take the following steps:

Firstly, our educational system must be geared to strengthen mathematics, physics, chemistry, and biology and computer science in our curriculum.

Secondly, our method of teaching must change, emphasising the intelligent grasp of the subject rather than memorising formulas and theorems.

Thirdly, our mass media must be mobilised to popularise science, and scientific thinking i.e. rational, critical and creative thinking.

Fourthly, our scientists must be made to feel that the country stands in need of their leadership.

Fifthly, there is an urgent need of structural change in our scientific institutions.

Every genuine scientist must be encouraged by rapid promotions and handsome rewards. Our scientists serving abroad must be brought back home by offering them handsome salaries. The rotten concept of ‘seniority’ must be done away with to be replaced by the contribution made by a scientist, which is universally acknowledged. Lastly, what is most needed is the political will on the part of the government to regard literacy, education (in particular) and research as its first priority, and involve all scientists, educationists and the entire intelligentsia in carrying out this urgent task.

DAWN - Editorial; December 10, 2007

a quick reminder to the indian forumers, SN Bose, JC Bose and some others were ethnic bengali. and IF democracy and ethnicity is ALL that matters, they should be "bangladeshi".
that was simply because as pakistani bros have been saying, bengal was first "indian" province to fall to britain. and east bengal (majority muslim) didn't want anything to do with british authority while west bengal (mostly hindu) licked british boots aplenty.

those names you mention are examples of such practices. among others.

LogicNote the LONG post of yours contains typical ramblings of miserable converts/dalits from india who're dirtpoor, illiterate and backward. and that's observable in their comments.
they state for example
The entire gross domestic product of the Muslim world is just half of what France produces every year". (Islamic Voice, Feb 2006).
and the article is chock full of rubbish information, misinformation rather.

first of all, the title is misleading. first, there is no well defined muslim world.
second, lag behind whom?

also the author of first article is a jewish person who specializes in anything but the topic he wrote about.
point to note, nobel prizes are NOT definitive indicators of high quality scienctific work. americans and britons have dominated this list, but nazi and soviet scientists were CATEGORICALLY discriminated against by the nobel prize authorities over politics. that to any sane person is illogical; the scientific prowess should be assessed by any scientific award not political religious national etc origins or links.

and joey made a REMARKABLE observation. the WORLD itself has been stagnant in science since WWII, not one single ground breaking invention or field has been discovered/invented. only advanced in technology have been made, i.e. ideas were thought of, and only details are being materialized now in many fields. but no ground breaking ideas have been cooked up.

the muslim world is not politically united hence such a comment is out of place. but the original article was in "middle east" quarterly hence underlying the author's ineptitude in handling the topic he wrote about. all he meant was "middle east" when he talked about muslim world.
fact is bulk of muslim world is (demographically)
in
1.subcontinent
2.south east asia/asean (indonesia-biggest muslim nation in world!)
3. sub saharan africa
also
4.central asia
5. eastern europe.
in fact if you look at nonmuslim countries in those regions they normally by and large dont fare too differently either.
to me it boils down to which cultural neighbourhood you live in.
if tomorrow or day after, russia and germany or france reverted to islam, what will you have to say about muslim world's political economic scientific/technological etc prowess? the 3 countries personally i feel have some possibility of accepting islam en masse. germans i personally like in general. and russians - 15 to 20 mln muslims!

I think Pakistan is progressing and catching up. to me it is also very important to show your good image in front of the world. Pakistan not only progressing in Plant sciences we are doing well in the fields of IT(since I also belong to IT industry),engineering, medical,defence industries etc it will take some time but as a Nation we have realized the importance of education our media unfortunately is not showing the true picture of Pakistan along with the rest of the world media other wise you can see the pictures of Karachi in this forum so there must be a combined effort to lift ourselves up.

I think the internet has started playing its role. it is a great benefit which needs to be utilized by the Muslim world since to me this is the way for us to book our seat with the modern countries since all the research of the world is now available on internet and we have talent so we can catch up and we are already catching up. :tup:

a quick reminder to the indian forumers, SN Bose, JC Bose and some others were ethnic bengali. and IF democracy and ethnicity is ALL that matters, they should be "bangladeshi".

Dear bd Wonder
I think you are confused about the Ideology and Linguistics here . Ppl with different languages can have same ideology and ppl with same language can have differnt ideological belief . its the ideological belief ,which makes the society and its future .

LogicNote the LONG post of yours contains typical ramblings of miserable converts/dalits from india who're dirtpoor, illiterate and backward. and that's observable in their comments.
they state for example

Dear Bd wonder
That article spoke about the entire Islamic world and most of the data was from Arab World article

I quote -

"Nearly 8 years ago, in January 1998, Mr. Wasim Sajjad, President of the Islamabad based Ministerial Standing Committee on Scientific and Technological Cooperation (CONSTECH), while addressing a press conference, said that the countries belonging to the Organisation of Islamic Countries (OIC), considering their share of world population, should have 4 million scientists and engineers, but in reality they had only 200,000, merely 5 per cent of the expected figure. He also pointed out that Muslims account for 1.3 billion or nearly 32 per cent of the world population, but scientific research papers they publish is negligible, below one per cent of world's total. And at the same time, they have little contribution in the high tech-areas like computer software and information technology. Mr. Sajjad, while lamenting over the dearth of creativity and poor performance of the Muslims in modern science and technology, complained that, considering the share of world population, Islamic countries should spend $ 4.7 million a year for higher education and research, but in reality they were spending as low as $ 130,000 per Year."

The other paragraph

"the United Nations Development Program (UNDP), in 2001, appointed an inquiry committee consisting of Arab intellectuals and scholars. The committee carried out investigations for a year and submitted its report, called the "Arab Human Development Report 2002" in the first week of July, 2002. Mr. Nader Fergani, the Egyptian scholar and chief author of the report, and his associates took much pain to analyze Arab world's strength as well as its failings.

To estimate the performance of a country, the UN, for the past 10 or so years, is using an index called 'Human Development Index' (HDI), that includes life expectancy at birth, adult literacy rate, school enrolment as well as income per head. Another index called 'Alternative Human Development Index' (AHDI) is also used that drops income per head from HDI, but includes additional aspects like freedom of speech and similar fundamental rights enjoyed by the people, use of Internet, emissions of carbon dioxide and so on. The Arab countries are seen to score, on the basis of both the indices, lower than almost all other countries in the world.

On the dark side, investigators have identified three major shortcomings. One in five Arabs lives on less than $2 a day, and in past 20 years, their per capita income increased at the poor rate of 0.5 per cent, which is lower than anywhere in the world except the sub-Saharan Islamic countries. At this rate, the report laments, it would take an average Arab 140 years to double his income, while many countries set such a target to be achieved within less than a decade"

I think you shall read the article before commenting and if you feel its misinformation, kindly quote the appropriate sources and data .

logic note, you're babbling about issues you've little idea of.
bd_wonder said:
Dear bd Wonder
I think you are confused about the Ideology and Linguistics here . Ppl with different languages can have same ideology and ppl with same language can have differnt ideological belief . its the ideological belief ,which makes the society and its future .

i think you're confused and confusing. you dont have an inkling what you're talking about.

as for the rest of the article, that is chock full of misinformation. it says HDI shows arab world is behind most of the world, fact is not! uae, qatar, libya saudi etc are now Highly Developed in HDI score.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom