What's new

Why do investors prefer start-ups in India, Pakistan over Bangladesh?

Well I always suspected UP’s figures to be this low, I mean it’s cities and as a state it itself has achieved a lot, hard for me to digest that they just have $1000 per capita GDP.

I am sure the data is accurate - they are coming from so far behind.

You will always have quite big differences but unless something changes then states like Gujarat will be near 1st world in 2040 and UP still barely out of 3rd world status - this would cause massive issues as the richer states get swamped by migrants from poorer ones.

Why do you not wait for BD's figues for this year as it has not been puslished yet?

Don't jump to conclusions please.

The irony is because PK is ahead here so you dont want to jump to conclusions for this year yet you are predicting BD economy till 2050 like 5 times a day.

The irony is because PK is ahead here so you dont want to jump to conclusions for this year yet you are predicting BD economy till 2050 like 5 times a day.

Dude, you opened this thread just to bash BD.

Did I ever do something like that with respect to Pakistan?

I only make predictions of what BD could be like around 2035 and that is based off what all the major economic forecasters predict will happen - if you do not like what I am saying on this then please argue with them as all I am doing is agreeing with the world's best economic experts.

And yet when it comes to raising funds from venture capitalists (VCs), the Bangladeshi start-up sector is dwarfed by those in neighbouring countries.
Bangladesh received over $750 million in foreign investment for start-ups in the last decade, raising the highest $165 million in 2021.
According to the below website Bangladesh got $380Mn. Something is not right. I think a better and reliable source is required to do a compairison.

"53+ Bangladeshi startups raised more than $380Mn in disclosed investments, this includes bKash’s $250 million round from Softbank Vision Fund II in November 2021. Apart from this, many startups raised undisclosed seed and pre-seed investment. "

Does Pak really depend on foreign investment from "official" sources? 80% of Pak economy is undocumented and untaxed. Over 60% of fuel consumed in Pak is smuggled, i.e., it's not officially paid for! Who are running this HUUGEE unknown economy? Only GOD knows....

BD has got 0.5m automobiles, Pak has 25m....

BD has got only 8 front-line fighters, purchased in 1999. Pak maintains 300 front-line fighters with a ready-to-go mode on the tarmacs...

According to the below website Bangladesh got $380Mn. Something is not right. I think a better and reliable source is required to do a compairison.

"53+ Bangladeshi startups raised more than $380Mn in disclosed investments, this includes bKash’s $250 million round from Softbank Vision Fund II in November 2021. Apart from this, many startups raised undisclosed seed and pre-seed investment. "
$165million definitely not correct as bkash itself got $250 million in November 2021.

the biggest one shopup other then BKASH main tech team is in india.

ShopUp opened an office in Bengaluru last year, with a large part of its tech and engineering talent based out of India.

so much for millions of freelance skill work force flush with talent yet need to have entire tech office in India.

You cant get global investment when local tech talent cant do jack shit. as i said typical banglas only know how to brag but when it comes to technical competency cant do shit.

BD and Pakistan difference is insignificant here.

350 million US dollars to 165 million is neither here or now.

India is the one that is really doing well at 38 billion US dollars.

I think the major reason is that BD is still in LDC category and once it graduates out of that then it will get significantly more money from venture capitalists. BD still has a bit of an image problem from LDC status.

PS - Written by a Pakistani and hence overexaggerating Pakistan compared to BD.

This is primarily because india itself is a huge market.
Launching in india means almost 20% of the world's population can be your client.

Our IT industry is quite small and the trend of statups is a very new phenomenon for us, As i screamed here so many times before, we are not following Indian development model, not saying anything wrong in their model but Bangladesh wants to become a manufacturing powerhouse, like china and follow the east asian model of growth. Whatever our tech startups are doing is amaizing and I have seen the government is also promoting it.

We recently had a big issue with a startup called evaley scamming millions out of customers. I may sound controvertial but I myself is not a big fan of this startup trend, not only because 90% of startups fail but their inherent flaws on focusing only on growth not profitability, but that doesnt takeaway from the fact that it is a great opportunity for young people to get funding for their ideas. How many would make and how many will bust billions of dollars is a different matter.

It is good to see startups like bkash becoming a unicorn hope others will follow them.

On a difffent note wanted to ask a pakistani brother, What development model are you focused on, is it like us the traditional way or the indian shortcut bypassing the manufacturing phase? Just curious as to me it feels like you guys are trying to copy the indian development model, but I am no expert on pakistan.

BDs time for tech boom and venture capitalism is just around the corner in my Opinion. Overall I think BD is a late starter but with time will overtake all nations in SA except India. India is a bohemoth when it comes to startups with over 50 Billion dollar startups per year.

Our IT industry is quite small and the trend of statups is a very new phenomenon for us, As i screamed here so many times before, we are not following Indian development model, not saying anything wrong in their model but Bangladesh wants to become a manufacturing powerhouse, like china and follow the east asian model of growth. Whatever our tech startups are doing is amaizing and I have seen the government is also promoting it.

We recently had a big issue with a startup called evaley scamming millions out of customers. I may sound controvertial but I myself is not a big fan of this startup trend, not only because 90% of startups fail but their inherent flaws on focusing only on growth not profitability, but that doesnt takeaway from the fact that it is a great opportunity for young people to get funding for their ideas. How many would make and how many will bust billions of dollars is a different matter.

It is good to see startups like bkash becoming a unicorn hope others will follow them.

On a difffent note wanted to ask a pakistani brother, What development model are you focused on, is it like us the traditional way or the indian shortcut bypassing the manufacturing phase? Just curious as to me it feels like you guys are trying to copy the indian development model, but I am no expert on pakistan.
So when you say manufacturing, do you think stitching chaddis alone makes you some manufacturing powerhouse?

Back
Top Bottom