What's new

Why did Pakistan send 8 acquired US Naval Frigates back?

Signalian

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Can somebody explain why did only a lease agreement?was lease a good idea? how did it benefit PN?

Pakistan acquired 8 US Frigates in 1989 but sent them back to US around 1994.

Untitled.jpg

4 X Brook Class Frigates transferred to Pakistan in 1989; disposed of by Navy title transfer to the Maritime Administration, 28 March 1994

1. Brook
2. Talbot
3. Richard L page
4. Julius A Furer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooke-class_frigate

4 X Garcia Class Frigates were subsequently leased to Pakistan but transferred back in 1993–4 before being sold for scrap.

1. Garcia
2. Brumby
3. O'Callahan
4. koelsch

http://destroyerhistory.org/coldwar/garciaclass/

Last edited:
Can somebody explain how and why this happened?

View attachment 327434

4 X Brook Class Frigates transferred to Pakistan in 1989; disposed of by Navy title transfer to the Maritime Administration, 28 March 1994

1. Brook
2. Talbot
3. Richard L page
4. Julius A Furer.

4 X Garcia Class Frigates were subsequently leased to Pakistan but transferred back in 1993–4 before being sold for scrap.

1. Garcia
2. Brumby
3. O'Callahan
4. koelsch

well as I understand they were taken back by US when Pakistan denied to roll back their nuclear program
USS Brumby (FF-1044) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
On 31 March 1989 Brumby was decommissioned and leased to the Pakistan Navy the same day, where she was commissioned as Harbah. However, following Pakistan's refusal to halt its nuclear weapons program, the lease was cancelled in 1994. She was returned to United States custody on 9 September 1994 and stricken from the Navy Register the same day.Brumby was sold for scrapping for $635,602.50 ($1.01 million today) on 9 September 1994 to Trusha Investments Pte. Ltd

well as I understand they were taken back by US when Pakistan denied to roll back their nuclear program
USS Brumby (FF-1044) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
On 31 March 1989 Brumby was decommissioned and leased to the Pakistan Navy the same day, where she was commissioned as Harbah. However, following Pakistan's refusal to halt its nuclear weapons program, the lease was cancelled in 1994. She was returned to United States custody on 9 September 1994 and stricken from the Navy Register the same day.Brumby was sold for scrapping for $635,602.50 ($1.01 million today) on 9 September 1994 to Trusha Investments Pte. Ltd

Pakistan also acquired four US Naval Destroyers in start of 1980's but they were decommissioned before 1994 otherwise they would have been sent back to US like Frigates.

Untitled 1.jpg

Pakistan also acquired four US Naval Destroyers in start of 1980's but they were decommissioned before 1994 otherwise they would have been sent back to US like Frigates
Pakistan did got them , correct.
i do not actually know the reason for this but i am guessing that they were not leased as with frigate but probably bought or accepted in aid , if this true than US had no claim over them as with frigate whose lease was cancelled
but i repeat i dont know much about them destroyers.

they were acquired on a term lease with the expectation that at the end of the lease US would sell them to Pakistan, but that didn't happen due to changing geo politics at that time.

Can somebody explain why did only a lease agreement?was lease a good idea? how did it benefit PN?

View attachment 327434

1. Brook
2. Talbot
3. Richard L page
4. Julius A Furer.

1. Garcia
2. Brumby
3. O'Callahan
4. koelsch

Most likely because of Pakistans nuclear program.

Was sent back due to the Pressler embargo. Real question is why did Pakistan not keep these ships as collateral for the embargoed F-16s?

That would require huge balls of steel - and our steel mills is closed for exactly 30 years

the_magician_ball_412x539.gif

We had benazir at that time and she was a women (My comment may appear sexist ) but we lacked a good strong leader in government is what I mean to say

Benazir Bhutto was the 11th and 13th Prime Minister of Pakistan
  • Serving in office 1988–1990
  • Serving in office 1993–1996.
  • 100% no balls - Was busy fighting corruption charges

We also had this guy -

Nawaz shairf. A veteran politician and industrialist, he previously
  • Served as Prime Minister from November 1990 to July 1993
  • Served as Prime Minister from February 1997 to October 1999.
  • His balls of steal were in offshore locker room

He was busy making offshore , companies during 90s to move his funds over as exposed by Panama Leaks. He was not bothered about "ships" - "Ships, what ships? he said; All I see is offshore accounts, quickly tell me about my money transfer."

Had we not "rented and returned the ships" today we might have been operating 20-25 ships

Guess who is in Command again ? Nawaz "The Reek" Sharif

He can't even articulate an idea , he reads his lines from a paper clip like a 7 year old in school
Does anyone thinks for a moment this man can demand the ships , as compensation for F16
PARCHI-RETURN-PKG-22-10.jpg

Bablu here was 10 year old and he was 10-20 Million owner of 2-3 offshore companies
He was also busy with money making instead of doing his home work , for grade 5
1060176-hussain-1457251398-991-640x480.gif

Last edited:

View attachment 327434

1. Brook
2. Talbot
3. Richard L page
4. Julius A Furer.

1. Garcia
2. Brumby
3. O'Callahan
4. koelsch

Sanctions imposed in 1989. Ships were US property.

US tried its very best for Pakistan to shut down their Nuclear program, so US started to do what they do best, which fooling but it didn't work.

That would require huge balls of steel - and our steel mills is closed for exactly 30 years

the_magician_ball_412x539.gif

We had benazir at that time and she was a women (My comment may appear sexist ) but we lacked a good strong leader in government is what I mean to say

Benazir Bhutto was the 11th and 13th Prime Minister of Pakistan
  • Serving in office 1988–1990
  • Serving in office 1993–1996.
  • 100% no balls - Was busy fighting corruption charges

We also had this guy -

Nawaz shairf. A veteran politician and industrialist, he previously
  • Served as Prime Minister from November 1990 to July 1993
  • Served as Prime Minister from February 1997 to October 1999.
  • His balls of steal were in offshore locker room

He was busy making offshore , companies during 90s to move his funds over as exposed by Panama Leaks. He was not bothered about "ships" - "Ships, what ships? he said; All I see is offshore accounts, quickly tell me about my money transfer."

Had we not "rented and returned the ships" today we might have been operating 20-25 ships

Guess who is in Command again ? Nawaz "The Reek" Sharif

He can't even articulate an idea , he reads his lines from a paper clip like a 7 year old in school
Does anyone thinks for a moment this man can demand the ships , as compensation for F16
PARCHI-RETURN-PKG-22-10.jpg

Bablu here was 10 year old and he was 10-20 Million owner of 2-3 offshore companies
He was also busy with money making instead of doing his home work , for grade 5
1060176-hussain-1457251398-991-640x480.gif
2e9e4424a5ad2b3d13495323fafe993b.jpg

Your Navy Leadership were Smart-- They had will to Hold these Frigates as Collateral.

But the Ordinance and Engineering FOCs would have Highlighted who will give Weapons to fire when existing store is Over ??

Engineering FOC who have Highlighted these Matured Vats of Whisky would need Lots of Care as were in 3rd Decade
What is the Point in Increasing Cost Keeping a White Elephant.....

Trump Card - Pakistan should have Held Balls of Yanks by Saying, we are giving them to China or Return our Money.
I am certain Zardari would have done some fingering too ?

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom