What's new

`PAKISTAN NAVY CONSIDERS TURKISH NAVAL COMPANIES AT PAR WITH ANY COMPANY WITHIN THE EUROPEAN DEFENSE INDUSTRY

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Deputy Chief of the Naval Staff – Projects (DCNS [Projects]) Pakistan Navy Vice Admiral (VADM) Imran AHMED: `PAKISTAN NAVY CONSIDERS TURKISH NAVAL COMPANIES AT PAR WITH ANY COMPANY WITHIN THE EUROPEAN DEFENSE INDUSTRY​

"In pursuit of CNS`s (Chief of the Naval Staff) vision, the PN is striving to be a combat-ready multi-dimensional force that safeguards Pakistan`s maritime interests and radiating influence in the region with a global outlook."​

February 17, 2022

I%CC%87brahim%20SUNNETCI%CC%87_IMRAHAN%20AHMAD%20-%20Kopya.JPG

During January 24-28, 2022, Deputy Chief of the Naval Staff – Projects (DCNS [Projects]) Pakistan Navy Vice Admiral (VADM) Imran AHMED paid an official visit to Istanbul Naval Shipyard (INSY) to review the progress of PN-MILGEM Corvettes being constructed by Turkey for the Pakistan Navy (PN). Thanks to special permission from NHQ, within the scope of this official visit, as of DEFENCE TURKEY Magazine, we made an exclusive interview with VADM Imran AHMED on January 24, 2022, to get first-hand information on (DCNS [Projects]) of PN, the major procurement and modernization programs of PN at Istanbul Shipyard Command.

IMRAN_AHMAD_Tersane%20Ziyaret_2(1).jpeg

Emphasizing the Pakistan Navy's goal to be a combat-ready multi-dimensional force that safeguards Pakistan's maritime interests and radiating influence in the region with a global outlook, VADM Imran AHMED underlined that the PN hinges upon the construction and acquisition of modern and potent surface and subsurface combatants as well as contemporary advancements in the Air domain. "The PN is building and acquiring Type 054A/P Frigates, 4 x MILGEM Class Corvettes, 4 x OPVs, Medium Altitude Long Endurance (MALE) Class CH-4 attack drones, Jet LRMPAs, a modern Helicopter Fleet, Attack Submarines, acquisition of new Shallow Water Attack Submarines (S/Ms), while giving focused attention to the existing fleet."

8f1ab74a-d171-4d0d-80fb-ac8ab78ef252%20-%20Kopya.jpg

VADM Imran AHMED: “ Our expectation of PN-MILGEM goes much beyond the 4 warships being built. The project also includes Transfer of Technology, upgrade of Karachi Shipyard, and designing a purpose-built JINNAH Class Frigate (JCF) for the Pakistan Navy.

VADM Imran AHMED gave information about the Pakistan Navy's expectations from the PN-MILGEM Project and shared his personal assessment of the Turkish Naval Sector companies' existing capabilities in meeting the Pakistan Navy's modernization requirements. "With regards to PN-MILGEM, with the induction of a modern, well-equipped, and state-of-the-art BABUR Class Corvettes in the PN Fleet, Pakistan will acquire the best capability to respond to future challenges and maintain peace & stability, and the balance of power in the Indian Ocean Region. The PN-MILGEM Project is a testimony of the Pakistan Navy's trust in the ever-growing Turkish Naval Shipbuilding industry. Our expectation of PN-MILGEM goes much beyond the 4 warships being built. The project also includes Transfer of Technology, upgrade of Karachi Shipyard, and designing a purpose-built JINNAH Class Frigate (JCF) for the Pakistan Navy.

As an offset of the PN-MILGEM Project, the collaborative design of the JINNAH Class Frigate (JCF) is being undertaken by PN and Turkish Naval ship designers. The first three phases of the project have been successfully completed, while the Functional Design Phase is in progress. The project will be completed by 2025."

IMRAN_AHMAD_Tersane%20Ziyaret(1).JPG

VADM Imran AHMED: “If the Turkish aeronautical setup has any such proposal to develop a joint ASW/ Surveillance aircraft, the PN would certainly consider it.”

Speaking on the possibility of joint naval industry programs with Turkey, VADM Imran AHMED stated that developing an airborne ASW/Surveillance platform is a plausible proposition. “The Joint Naval Industry Program for developing an airborne ASW/ Surveillance platform is a plausible proposition. However, as of now, steps in this regard have not been initiated due to the requirement of an elaborated aeronautical setup. Notwithstanding the aforesaid, if the Turkish aeronautical setup has any such proposal to develop a joint ASW/ Surveillance aircraft, the PN would certainly consider it.”

@waz @HRK @Rashid Mahmood @The Eagle @Horus @SQ8 @Balixd @Rafi @Windjammer @Tipu7 @Sulman Badshah @Zephyrus @Arsalan @Hakikat ve Hikmet @MultaniGuy

Last edited:
1. The PN's knocking it out of the park.

2. How many ASW/MPAs does the PN need? They've already roadmapped x10 LRMPAs to join the x4 RAS-72s. Does it sound like the PN is open to adding more? Could they aim for an even bigger design (A320/B737-tier)? @JamD @kursed @SQ8

3. It sounds like the PN exercised the option for 2 additional Damen OPVs?

4. I wonder who won the shallow-water attack sub (SWATS) bid?

2. How many ASW/MPAs does the PN need? They've already roadmapped x10 LRMPAs to join the x4 RAS-72s. Does it sound like the PN is open to adding more? Could they aim for an even bigger design (A320/B737-tier)? @JamD @kursed @SQ8

My bet is on STM 500 although China just recently showed a mini submarine also.

probably this one or something similar to this Chinese submarine have more chance, Turkish shallow water submarine is still only a concept not a working design.

View attachment 816429
My bet is on STM 500
1645170777889.png

He also mentioned helicopters and the way he was talking I don't think he was talking about sea king

Last edited:

1. I did not make my comment just like that on the PN becoming a seriously potent force. He hasn’t even touched on that A2/AD component and surveillance capabilities.

2. It seems the Sea Sultan is having a few hiccups which is why follow ups are being looked at.

3. Makes sense with the platform

That and the inception to want an alternative through Turkey

You reached a conclusion that Pakistan is looking for an alternative, there was no such reference in the article. When I say “hardly taken off” as it is most probably in the design and airframe alteration phase. The most challenging aspect of such projects is the integration phase, which comes much later. Also an ongoing project does not preclude looking for the next generation.

That and the inception to want an alternative through Turkey
They did not say this, what they said is they would be open to further collaboration, however, id also assume there was a bit of a bluff there as i don't think he would have said straight up, "no, we are not interested" due to the relations between Pk and Turkey.

You reached a conclusion that Pakistan is looking for an alternative, there was no such reference in the article. When I say “hardly taken off” as it is most probably in the design and airframe alteration phase. The most challenging aspect of such projects is the integration phase, which comes much later. Also an ongoing project does not preclude looking for the next generation.
True - but it could also be interpreted as “we want to explore other ASW suites as well compared to the one we selected today”

I wouldn't discount the possibility of the PN seeking an even bigger platform to complement the Sea Sultan and Sea Eagle.

IMO, there's a benefit in having a few aircraft as large as the P-8I, i.e., with a proper internal bay for torpedoes and more hardpoints for AShMs. However, a project of that scope - likely involving the A320 - is well beyond the PN's fiscal capacity to pull off alone. OTOH, if Turkey is interested in a joint project, then perhaps?

If that scenario were to happen, I think it'd be an add-on to the 10 Sea Sultan and 4 Sea Eagles.

I would say better then Europe but inferior to the US in tech development
tbh the things that'll hamper Turkey the most are economies of scale and funding. The only countries who can sustain widespread defence R&D and production alone are economic superpowers -- i.e., US and China. The rest, like Western Europe, Turkey, Japan, South Korea, etc, need consortiums, partnerships, and hybrid-indigenous/off-the-shelf solutions.

That said, there's an example of a non-superpower being independent in a lot of areas: France. However, France smartly leveraged co-dependence via consortiums and partnerships to pull it off. I think Turkey is aiming to do the same thing.

tbh the things that'll hamper Turkey the most are economies of scale and funding. The only countries who can sustain widespread defence R&D and production alone are economic superpowers -- i.e., US and China. The rest, like Western Europe, Turkey, Japan, South Korea, etc, need consortiums, partnerships, and hybrid-indigenous/off-the-shelf solutions.

That said, there's an example of a non-superpower being independent in a lot of areas: France. However, France smartly leveraged co-dependence via consortiums and partnerships to pull it off. I think Turkey is aiming to do the same thing.

Economy? Turkey is the 11th largest economy in the world. They aren't trying to do it but they are already and have achieved that years ago. They have 700+ projects running currently at the same time

Back
Top Bottom