What's new

Why Bangladesh need a strong army

You are slipping from the points you raised.

Also , having lost the industrial base is understandable, tell me how did BD lose its intellectual base after ' 47 ? Were there no intelligent men left in BD after the partition ??

Next, what about the point of development of EP as compared to the development of East Punjab ?

Lastly, remember the point you raised above was on the no bengali Officers - refer underlined portion above.

You dont understand the intellectual base!!! Probably you will not if you were not a Bengali. For instance Ustad Alauddin Kha? Where did he go? India. Most of our novelist, economist, poets, engineers, doctors all remained in India as most of them were Hindus. Also we lost most of our Hindu intellelectuals who migrated from E. Pakistan to India right after independece in 1947. Among the muslims only 5% of the people were literate in 1947.

I could not find the archive articles regarding hiring pattern of the British Raj before and after 1857. I will get it and post it soon. Dont trust on any indian reference, because they are twisted.

You dont understand the intellectual base!!! Probably you will not if you were not a Bengali. For instance Ustad Alauddin Kha? Where did he go? India. Most of our novelist, economist, poets, engineers, doctors all remained in India as most of them were Hindus. Also we lost most of our Hindu intellelectuals who migrated from E. Pakistan to India right after independece in 1947. Among the muslims only 5% of the people were literate in 1947.

I could not find the archive articles regarding hiring pattern of the British Raj before and after 1857. I will get it and post it soon. Dont trust on any indian reference, because they are twisted.

A strange remark ( highlighted). What has being bengali to do with being able to discern ?

What has being bengali to do with sweat & hard work - something ppl of E Punjab did post 47 ?

Lastly, if EP suffered a brain drain as you say , what did the ' brainless' left behind in EP do ? Are you suggesting the W Pak did nothing at all to develop EP from 47 to 71 ?

We need to stop passing blame elsewhere for things we did / do not do.

A strange remark ( highlighted). What has being bengali to do with being able to discern ?

What has being bengali to do with sweat & hard work - something ppl of E Punjab did post 47 ?

Lastly, if EP suffered a brain drain as you say , what did the ' brainless' left behind in EP do ? Are you suggesting the W Pak did nothing at all to develop EP from 47 to 71 ?

We need to stop passing blame elsewhere for things we did / do not do.

Well good job E Punjab. They had huge land with less population.
Bengal's scenario was completely different. We did not have problem with the fertility of the soil but the natural calmaity which was destroying the crops.
Why are you going one extreme to another extreme. Did'nt british do anything to India, yet we blame british for stealing. Dont we? Pakistan did whatever it could but E. Pakistani people felt that those weren't enough. Thats all.
You could come back with the same question again "What we did for the last 37 years"
Well in 1970 cyclone we lost 1 million people. In 1991 Cyclose we lost quarter million. And now with the same strength cyclone we loose around one to two thousand people.
Drought and late monsoon in this season affected both India and Pakistan but not Bangladesh. Why? Because we switched our major crops from rainy season to winter season. All our land are under irrigation now without really depending on nature anymore. It took uas long time to get to the point where we are now. Its not just easy to switch your major crops from one season to another.
Good job our Framers and our scientist. Or Bangladesh Bank government said few days ago. "Farmers are feeding us with abundance of crops and their sons are bringing remittance to pay for our bills"

Last edited:
I dont know what exactly is your point? You want us prove our military strength or maturity by annexing NE with us?

Why it is different in 1947.
1) We lost our industrial and intellectual base in Calcutta. BD without Calcutta was nothing but a piece of marsh land.

2) In 1947 E. Pakistan inherited 0 military from british as after 1857 sepoy mutiny Bengali muslim were barred from british military officers rank. Lower level soldiers were also discouraged from Bengal Muslim community.
I would like to add a few more words to what you wrote.

1) On 14th August, 1947, the present day BD inherited only one factory in Kushtia (old Nadia) district. The name is Mohini Mills. All other factories without exception were built in Calcutta with the money from east Bengal.

2) About the Sepoy mutiny of 1857. The entire Hindustan, Hindus and Muslims, fought together to oust the British. British had huge armaments, but little manpower in such a situation. The rebels had enough manpower but little arms and weak leadership.

The mutineers declared Mughal Emperor Bahadur Shah Zafar as their leader. This action by the Hindus and Muslims alienated the Sikh Punjabis. They had been fighting the Muslims for more than a century. Sikhs started to join the British army and the Muslim Punjabis followed these Gurus.

The British and Punjabis won the war, after which these Punjabi slaves were declared 'Martial Race' by their British masters and hundreds and thousands of them were recruited by them. Punjab was given unequal share of every other facilities by the British since those days.

When Pakistan was formed, Pakistan army inherited only a few Bangali Muslim soldiers. Pak army then continuously recruited from Punjab. By 1971 there were only 40,000 to 50,000 Bangali troops in the Pakistan army out of 300,000.

This is the short story how this martial Punjabis won the upper hand, and this is one reason that we decided to set up a separate nation of our own, where we can be our own master.

Good post lajdani. The only saviour for Bangladesh are Bangladeshi people. Forget India or trying to give India a bloody nose, concentrate on the problems facing Bangladesh because the nation is still developing.

I still remember working in Australia for 2 years alongside a Bangladeshi guy. He was a recent migrant but had enough money to buy his own house, and buy land and built 12 apartments. He was part of the cabinet in Bangladesh and the Prime Minister at that time is also in Australia. I met him as well. All I can say in one word .. corruption.

Build Bangladesh and remember those people who are still looting your nation, even today !!

While I was in school I used to hang out in a bar near my dorm (I dont drink but play pool). I used to talk to an Indian guy all the time and he used to speak hindi or English. Obiviously I cant speak hindi so English was the only medium of communication. Anyways after 2 years, I found out that he was a Bengali from Calcutta and he can speak really good Bengali. I asked him why the hell you speak Hindi with us? He answered, thats his national language. I answered him, English is our national language now in USA. So you sick a$$, never ever try any other language in front of us except English.

Anyways .. come back to your Indian identity thing. Yes grapes are sour for fox but not for monkeys.

I'm sorry, i don't speak gibberish. Is that a substitute for English in the US now?

Try answering me again with a coherent post and i might bother responding to your drivel.

Yet another Indian trying to fool people...

You get two flags on this forum for a reason: you can use Indian and US flags to show you are an Indian-American.

When I created my profile...one question was citizenship..so I put in American.The other was location..again America.So I guess I got both American flags.Why should I lie?

And as an American,I don't need to be under any other country's flag even Indian.As I have said before I am partial to Indian causes due to Indian origin but my loyalty only lies with America not India.

When I created my profile...one question was citizenship..so I put in American.The other was location..again America.So I guess I got both American flags.Why should I lie?

And as an American,I don't need to be under any other country's flag even Indian.As I have said before I am partial to Indian causes due to Indian origin but my loyalty only lies with America not India.

Very true.. You should be loyal to the country that is feeding u.. but should never feel shy on your actual identity..and be rooted :cheers:

I've never seen such ridiculous post in a long time. Understand something, the history of Bengali resistance to Mughal rule was not the history of Bangladesh, it is the history of Bengal. They were not your people who resisted but rather the ancestors of a united Bengal. As an Indian, and as a Bengali, i find your post offensive.

Bangladesh should by all means get a strong army if it so desires, it's not really India's concern. It's not like a stronger Bangladeshi military would ever threaten India.

West Bengal is evaporating under Dheli dominance. You guys will be confined in museum soon. :lol:

Only thing you west Bengali can do is to look at Bangladesh and admire our success. You loser has no right to clime Bengal history. :smokin:

In this case do not be volunteer ignorant and refrain from making biased comment. Stay neutral if you represent America.

So if I am an American citizen then I should not comment on other countries?..pretty brilliant logic.

So if I am an American citizen then I should not comment on other countries?..pretty brilliant logic.

I haven't said that. All I am saying do not make it too obvious for us to see that your an India. :)

West Bengal is evaporating under Dheli dominance. You guys will be confined in museum soon. :lol:

Only thing you west Bengali can do is to look at Bangladesh and admire our success. You loser has no right to clime Bengal history. :smokin:

Oh ok, thanks for the wake up call.:pop:

Just few posts ago, iajdani was arguing that the intellectual base had stayed back in or migrated to Calcutta, during 1947. I see now, what he was saying and apparently the situation doesn't seem to have changed much. Thanks for confirming it.:no:

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom