What's new

Who’s To Blame For Pakistan’s Crisis Situation? Ft. Javed Hassan

Ok, lets see this, putting down the scene as it is.
The problem we are facing is the lack of governance,
It is the political government's prerogative to govern, legislate, and manage.
It is the civil service's responsibility to carry out the strategy from political gov and implement it efficiently. ( this includes Military )

Our political government fails, because they are not there to run or govern the country, they are predominantly feudal lords.

Our civil service is still the same as the british left us, and hasn't moved an inch.

and our military comprises of the only disciplined institution, who turns to try and become feudal lords once they cross the colonel rank.

The general population is a headless chicken, has no direction or strategy from the top, thus they have become absolute self serving , cut throat animals.

Just, hit, run, make money, and that is IT !

How do we fix it ?
Has to start with one honest, free, election.
Letting the political government do its thing for 5 years ensuring they start from grass root level of what needs to be done.
a. Fix police.
b. Ensure provinces follow federal MOI.
c. Fix the commerce ministry.
d. Fix the economic ministry.
e. Then move on to fix the borders, with tasking the military to form a bullet proof and water tight non=permeable border. They can't do it ? hire another, until it is done.
f. Start land reforms, with strict condition that any land more than 10 acres has to be owned by a registered corporation and not individuals.

Everything else, from then onward is easy.

Yes, it is so easy, and yet so impossible to do, at the same time.

We have been living beyond our means for more than 70 years and now the chickem has come home to roost.
Not for 70 years. The mentality to collectively consume beyond the economies means has been much worse since the 90's from my observation. Most Pakistanis think that if they can consume imported McDonalds' burgers, drink imported starbucks, have the latest imported phone and have a big imported SUV, travel abroad on foreign airlines.....then they are a developed nation. I see this mentality most in my relatives that grew up over the last 30 years. The ones that made some money by selling imported goods or in real estate.....love to flaunt their relaxed life style, imported phones, imported cars and trips to Turkey. I have been openly told by them that getting an education and investing in anything other than real estate or gold.....is a waste. If this is what successful people in you economy think....... :suicide:.

The Musharraf regime and PTI tried to push export driven growth.....but there efforts were always undone by the Bhutto/Zardari and Sharif political dynasties. A large segment of Pakistanis are addicted to an easy import consumption lifestyle.....they will always bring the Bhutto/Zardaris and Sharifs back. Somebody on top has to make the masses swallow the bad tasting medicine.....the British Style Parliamentary system will not do it.

Not for 70 years. The mentality to collectively consume beyond the economies means has been much worse since the 90's from my observation. Most Pakistanis think that if they can consume imported McDonalds' burgers, drink imported starbucks, have the latest imported phone and have a big imported SUV, travel abroad on foreign airlines.....then they are a developed nation. I see this mentality most in my relatives that grew up over the last 30 years. The ones that made some money by selling imported goods or in real estate.....love to flaunt their relaxed life style, imported phones, imported cars and trips to Turkey. I have been openly told by them that getting an education and investing in anything other than real estate or gold.....is a waste. If this is what successful people in you economy think....... :suicide:.

The Musharraf regime and PTI tried to push export driven growth.....but there efforts were always undone by the Bhutto/Zardari and Sharif political dynasties. A large segment of Pakistanis are addicted to an easy import consumption lifestyle.....they will always bring the Bhutto/Zardaris and Sharifs back. Somebody on top has to make the masses swallow the bad tasting medicine.....the British Style Parliamentary system will not do it.
Relatable

To be honest, I think everyone is at fault for different reasons.

1) all leadership is at fault for propagating exceptionally stupid political economy since Bhutto with an overemphasis on prices and inflation and less on growth and otherwise
2) all the ethnicities are fundamentally guilty of bringing ethnic or regional considerations to the party/ muhajirs being last - degrades the central idea of what Pakistan is. Also kills meritocracy.
3) everyone frankly in the Middle East believing they have all the answers and are Gods gift to humanity or something. This probably includes me. I have gotten into so many convos with people on this forum, for example, who don’t know the abcs of economy, would fail Econ 101 in any university wanting to give lectures on why Ishaq Dar is the fm of choice.

One issue raised in this video that I have been thinking about for a couple days now is the underutilization of the electricity generated; supposedly (accordingly to the speaker in the video) 25% of the electricity generated at the shahiwal coal fire plant is used, and partially it is an issue of distribution to all the far flung villages not being hooked up to the grid.

1. Is the underutilization true?
2. How much would it cost to hook up the villages; cost of building transmission lines?
3. Can current cars on the roads be converted to hybrid electric cars so they can use some of this electricity?
4. How expensive would the electricity for cars be as compared to current oil price?

One issue raised in this video that I have been thinking about for a couple days now is the underutilization of the electricity generated; supposedly (accordingly to the speaker in the video) 25% of the electricity generated at the shahiwal coal fire plant is used, and partially it is an issue of distribution to all the far flung villages not being hooked up to the grid.

2. How much would it cost to hook up the villages; cost of building transmission lines?
3. Can current cars on the roads be converted to hybrid electric cars so they can use some of this electricity?
4. How expensive would the electricity for cars be as compared to current oil price?
Operating an electric car is way cheaper than operating a petrol or diesel car, it's not even a contest.

Most power grids are designed for peak load, typically in the summer time. Rest of the time they operate far below this. Below is a chart from mid Atlantic states in the USA. In summer they peak around 120 GW but rest of the year are around 80GW....thats 66% utilization. Too many folks in Pakistan see this as a corruption scandal when its just the nature of power grids.

1665606339737.png

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom