What's new

Who Won the Air War in 1971?

Status
Not open for further replies.
110 confirmed Indian losses. Even a wishful thinker like your self should be able to work out the equation. .

If you cant post any supporting references other than Pakistani books , there is no point - is there?

If you cant post any supporting references other than Pakistani books , there is no point - is there?

jingoism aside - if one checks the airforce records of inventories - IAF lost 68 a/c in 71 as compared to 40 PAF losses (which include 12 sabres self-destroyed at dacca plus 5 sabres lost on the ramp during a IAF attack on sargodha when re-fuelling) - PAF was able to 'deny' IAF air-superiority of the skies which was / is PAF doctrine at least at that time.

if u say u won the air-war then what can i say!

jingoism aside - if one checks the airforce records of inventories - IAF lost 68 a/c in 71 as compared to 40 PAF losses (which include 12 sabres self-destroyed at dacca plus 5 sabres lost on the ramp during a IAF attack on sargodha when re-fuelling) - PAF was able to 'deny' IAF air-superiority of the skies which was / is PAF doctrine at least at that time.

if u say u won the air-war then what can i say!

IAF flew twice the number of sorties that the PAF did. dont you expect it to have more losses? Niazi is on record saying that it was the constant bombardment of the IAF that kept him awake and shattered his morale. Even the Governor resigned when his building was attacked. that is winning. Not hiding your aircraft in airfields and not coming in support of your army when it is needed.

IAF flew twice the number of sorties that the PAF did. dont you expect it to have more losses? Niazi is on record saying that it was the constant bombardment of the IAF that kept him awake and shattered his morale. Even the Governor resigned when his building was attacked. that is winning. Not hiding your aircraft in airfields and not coming in support of your army when it is needed.

aray chindit :rofl::rofl::rofl:10 IAF sqdns agaist 1 PAF sqdn - come on brother!

Gen Chuck Yeager was US Air-Attache during that time - in his book he says that ' in the air the PAF kicked *** but the situation on the ground was different'

pls read the book!

Fatman sir, salaam,

What was PAF's objective? What was IAF's objective? Which side achieved the objective more effectively?

Isn't that how you decide who won a war?

In case of Vietnam war, the veitnamese lost many many times more soldiers than the US, but who won the war?

My sincere opinion.

I am thinking that most of the arguments here are related to PAF and IAF battles but not stick to the title "who win the war".

Honestly India is the winner of the 1971 war because Eastern Pakistan was taken out from its own country. Any other arguments about shoot down/loss are not important compare to this result.

Also Pakistan friends should also be proud of your brave soilders. the lose is totally not their problem. I have to say the result of the war was predictable to a certain extent at the first day of war, from Geopolitics point of view:
1. India has US back up for a long time
2. India just signed coorperation with soviet Union before the war (SOV was against China during 1960s-1970s, in the China-India 1962 war SOV also surported india)
3. China was in the self 10year war "culture revolution". It could not support parkistan as in the 1965 war.

1971 was a good time chosen by India and they are the winner. From then on Eastern pakistan is not a threat to India.

I am thinking that most of the arguments here are related to PAF and IAF battles but not stick to the title "who win the war".

Honestly India is the winner of the 1971 war because Eastern Pakistan was taken out from its own country. Any other arguments about shoot down/loss are not important compare to this result.

Also Pakistan friends should also be proud of your brave soilders. the lose is totally not their problem. I have to say the result of the war was predictable to a certain extent at the first day of war, from Geopolitics point of view:
1. India has US back up for a long time
2. India just signed coorperation with soviet Union before the war (SOV was against China during 1960s-1970s, in the China-India 1962 war SOV also surported india)
3. China was in the self 10year war "culture revolution". It could not support parkistan as in the 1965 war.

1971 was a good time chosen by India and they are the winner. From then on Eastern pakistan is not a threat to India.

Your post makes some sense.

Possessing four times the number of aircraft and not even managing double the comparative sorties doesn't speak volumes for the IAF.
The balance in East Pakistan was 10:1 in India's favour, With ten Indian Squadrons of MIG-21s, SU-7s, Gnats and Hunters against a solitary vintage F-86 unit, it was a no win situation.
And please don't forget, the Squadron still had 11 aircrafts at it's disposal but the single runway was rendered nonoperational.

Gen Chuck Yeager was US Air-Attache during that time - in his book he says that ' in the air the PAF kicked *** but the situation on the ground was different'

Chuck Yeager is hardly a neutral source. Please read the following article written by someone posted in the US embassy in Islamabad in 71.

The right stuff in the wrong place - Chuck Yeager's crash landing in Pakistan | Washington Monthly | Find Articles at BNET

PS - The article is absolutely hilarious. Too bad it is too long to post here.

@Windjammer - please understand the basics of a war - It is not fought fair, one on one!
Pak was defending smaller territory than India. It was Pak strategy that defence of East lies in the West. Basing only 1 squadron in the East was a bad strategic decision. Just like Hitler telling Paulus to stay put in Stalingrad before the Russians encircled him. Pak paid for it's strategic mistakes and lost the 1971 war. Man-Man I have great respect for the Pak air force. They shot down many Indian ground attack air craft during the war which kinda makes the numbers a bit skewed.
Did India lose more planes - maybe. Did it win the air war - definitely.

I think hari sud and inc is 100 neutral?lets watch sahara tv.

1971 Aerial Frags

India - 20
Pakistan - 52

Sauce: Air Aces

Umm. Maybe some of us should take a look at this again. Now let me find the excerpt I was reading where this was called 'complete air superiority.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom