What's new

Who should make a call?

Lone Shooter

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
We live in a world where we are so keen of pointing fingers at someone else’s internal affairs but expect others to mind their own business when it comes to our own backyard. Country A claims that country B is doing atrocities on its people while country A itself is violation basic rights of its our people at one level or another. But the real question is, how far will a country or a ruler go down the wrong path before some world body (UN, European Union, OIC etc) should raise the alarm. And even more importantly when it does raises the alarm, what moral grounds does that so called world body has to act. Cause we all know the morals of most of the world bodies are mostly financial of politics dependent.

So what gives the right to whom to make this call as I am sure every country is hiding some kind of dirty laundry of her own in the backyard?

Economic and military power dictate everything. Soft power does not exist without the former two powers.

It was that way in the past.......and still is today.

Do what I do. Don't give a **** about other country & fix your own. That's why you don't see many Indonesian in here pointing out flaws at other country. Like the word of the two great person that shape my view on foreign policy:

"Politics have no relation to Moral" ~Machiavelli
"Altruism is Evil" ~Ayn Rand

Do what I do. Don't give a **** about other country & fix your own. That's why you don't see many Indonesian in here pointing out flaws at other country. Like the word of the two great person that shape my view on foreign policy:

"Politics have no relation to Moral" ~Machiavelli
"Altruism is Evil" ~Ayn Rand

I agree with you fully... but here lies the dilemma I am talking about... If my backyard is not clean than I should not high light any evil in other places... no matter how serious of nature they are?

I agree with you fully... but here lies the dilemma I am talking about... If my backyard is not clean than I should not high light any evil in other places... no matter how serious of nature they are?

its a difficult question. But usually not morality but country's self interest(or sometimes domestic politics) dictates the move.

THE POWERFUL have always made the call..

THE POWERFUL have always made the call..

If by 'clean' you mean and demanded %100 spotless, then no country have even the moral right to opine, let alone physically intervene. That is an impossible standard that no philosopher would agreed upon to impose.

Just as individuals do not live in a moral and intellectual vacuum, neither do countries. Every country have a moral foundation.

MORAL -- not political.

Politics and political institutions are subsequent human agencies/necessities to execute those moral convictions. And moral convictions demands those human agencies to expound those moralities.

Verb
Present and explain (a theory or idea) systematically and in detail.
Explain the meaning of (a literary or doctrinal work).

In the process of presenting a country's moral face to its peers, comparisons are inevitable, and in inter-state relations, especially when trade flourishes, knowledge about a country's internal affairs will cross borders. People, from high political offices to lowly kitchen dinner tables, will discuss these differences. They will say to themselves that they are glad to live in A instead of B and if, since they live in worse off C, they will try to immigrate to A or B. They will not care if A's backyard is less than %100 clean. They will not care if B's backyard is dirtier than A's. The people in C just care that A and B are better than their own C.

So who SHOULD make the call?

A. The People.

And they always do.

Back
Top Bottom