What's new

Who is who in Turkish electoral landscape?

Paul2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@T-SaGe once told me that he will answer me question on this few hours ago.

The Ankara metropolitan president actually has MHP origin (For detailed readings, check out the MHP's dissociation process and the IYI party's establishment process.) but currently there behalf of the CHP. So the situation contradicts your assumptions, such as the nationalist flare-up.

The municipal councils are still in the hands of the AKP. In our municipal election system, we are using 2 votes. One for the city council and the other for the head of municipal. The municipal presidents of Istanbul, İzmir and Ankara are in the hands of the CHP. It is true that the AKP has weakened in some big cities, but the situation is not as dramatic as you might think, yet.

Turkish politics entered the general elections as two blocs. As the People's Alliance and the Nation's Alliance. People's Alliance, where Akp is located, has the majority in the parliament. However, it lacks the power to change the constitution.While 360 seats are required for the referendum and 400 seats for direct constitutional amendment powers, currently the People's Alliance has 337 deputies.

In short, most of what you are saying consists of false infos that is not based on facts. But above all, this type of discussion is completely irrelevant. It functions as spamming. I would like to answer your questions on this subject as much as I can, but we need to open a new thread for this.

So, @T-SaGe It's your turn.

My current understanding APK has mainly entrenched itself deep in Anatolia, and small cities.

In big cities, their coalition partner act as their spoiler, or they loose altogether.

10% cutoff may well be playing against APK this time if MHP, and other potential allies sink below the cutoff, and it will be APK vs everybody, with APK spoilers greatly favouring opposition.

The direct presidential elections have become a new can of worms as well, as this doubles the potential for gridlock for the dominant party.

So, did Erdo shoot himself in the foot this time?

@T-SaGe once told me that he will answer me question on this few hours ago.
My current understanding APK has mainly entrenched itself deep in Anatolia, and small cities.

AKP, Not APK.

Thats right. AKP generally receives votes from the most uneducated and conservative segments of the society.

And yes, Erdogan will shoot himself in the foot this time. To avoid this, either the constitution will be changed or the Alberto Fujimori-style self-coup d'etat. ;)

Erdogan is actually in a very difficult situation due to the tension policies he applies in domestic and foreign policy.

The opposition is planning to put pressure on Erdogan over the MHP and the Uighur issue. They want to more and more isolate Erdogan, who is already very bad with Western and Western puppet Arab governments. I think this is the part about China.

It is necessary to consider the statements of opposition figures (Like Meral Akşener and Mansur Yavaş) on the Uyghur issue in this context. Their aim is not to interfere with China's internal affairs, but to isolate Erdogan over the MHP. China's Ambassador in Turkey to the nuances of domestic policy in Turkey should know better. At the same time, he must be very knowledgeable (and alert) about the US provocations on the Uighur issue. And of course he must be more diplomatically skilled and more polite.

It's not just an Erdogan who dirty plays the game of politics! :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom