What's new

Who is flying the A-10 against the Yemeni Houthis

Because it's yet another attempt at bashing the Saudi royal family using just another means, albeit a new one in the A-10. Most of us prefer the technical aspect of the discussion, not the usual vitriolic bashing.

What? Come on, maaaan. Your stuff is usually enjoyably outrageous but this, here, lolzo. Kinda like that one piece of silliness that @dani191 posted a while back about a bunch of Israeli F-15s and F-16s landing in Riyadh to protect the Saudi royal family L-O-L! That was a beauty as well. You guys will go to any shameless lengths! :lol:

Besides, no offence to @Windjammer , but the title of the thread is disingenuous to say the least, since it's exceptionally misleading when the title of the article says:

I am not a troll don't want to throw this thread off topic but Israeli have bombed Yemen in past and USA has also bombed Yemen in past. USA drone missions have been taking Place regularly in Yemen.

Regarding A-10 is Flying coffin if used in Yemen. What do a blind man wants? 2 eyes. What do a Houthi wants to make Saudis come down like a shooting star. A-10 will be a wish come true for them. The Yemen war has very high cost for Saudia and using F-16 and F-15 is becoming expensive as after the death of Saleh there is no immediate solution and war will prolong and Saudis are exploring new options. Second hand A-10 are cheaper and If Saudis go for them that means Saudia is desperate in Yemen and they are now giving priority to military hardware over Military personals.

This would be a fools decision A-10 can be targeted by world war 1 era anti air.

The A-10's are one of the best close air support aircrafts to date. They have excellent firepower and precision, but above all the airframe is practically build around its massive 30mm GAU-8 Cannon. These types of aircrafts are ideal for fighting assymetric warfare and above all terrorists who like hide in both Urban and though geographic areas with deadly precision.

tumblr_inline_orx3s5L1Q41r4iznv_540.jpg

Countries like Turkey are trying to emulate its succes by creating their own weaponized trainer aircrafts and light attack aircrafts.

The A-10's are one of the best close air support aircrafts to date. They have excellent firepower and precision, but above all the airframe is practically build around its massive 30mm GAU-8 Cannon.

Totally agreed with you.
But you are forgetting cold war era Anti Air was build to take out heavy armor Planes like bombers and jets and Yemen has exactly those to hit A-10. Today's Anti air uses Kinetic war heads but cold war era has mostly explosive war heads.

Besides, no offence to @Windjammer , but the title of the thread is disingenuous to say the least, since it's exceptionally misleading when the title of the article says:

And the article says:

Emphasis on "SAUDIS" and "TESTING."

Please read the full sentence...
The Saudis have recently tested a US-made air support aircraft against the Yemeni Houthi rebels on the Saudi southern front with Yemen.
The article mentions the aircraft being tested in actual combat against the enemy rather than say on a firing range.

Please read the full sentence...
The Saudis have recently tested a US-made air support aircraft against the Yemeni Houthi rebels on the Saudi southern front with Yemen.
The article mentions the aircraft being tested in actual combat against the enemy rather than say on a firing range.

I did read it. I think the issue is that the article is being used to insinuate that now the US is fighting the Houthis on behalf of the Saudis, and that the whole testing of the A-10 is just a disguise to what's really going on, am I right? If I'm wrong, then I apologize but that doesn't seem to be the case.

If anyone is familiar with the ground realities, Saudiya could pummel south Yemen and the Houthis in 2-1/2 hours with just it's Tornadoes and wipe out half the population in the process, Israeli criminal style! While not even using a single Typhoon or one of its many, veritable F-15s. But it chooses not to and is genuinely concerned about collateral damage. People just avoid that point and only chose to bash the Royal family and claim they can't beat the lowly Houthis.

Speaking of Israeli criminal style; how do we suppose Israel would deal with the Houthis when they blast a ballistic missile towards their main, civilian airport? How would the Israelis retaliate like they do in Ghaza? Or against Hezbollah? They wipe out a whole district. Men, women, children it doesn't matter. Did the Saudis do anything of the sort when those Houthis, high on leaves, decided to launch a couple of missiles at Saudi airports? They've been very careful and patient with this war and hardly get any credit for that.

So what's the point of the thread? Is Saudiya really interested in the A-10 and they (themselves) used it in Yemen to test it? Unless the US agreed with the RSAF to train a few pilots for a year and have them fly these testing flights (which I highly doubt), then why would the Americans ever chose to endanger their pilots just to test the aircraft for the Saudis? It makes absolutely no sense since the US has a state of the art battlefield in the Nevada desert and other places to simulate a live and realistic battlefield demonstration using live munitions and would do it that way and NEVER endanger its pilots in a real mission, just to test an aircraft for a customer. So the "testing" part of this topic is shady, to say the least. Would you agree?

So it's basically insinuating that the Americans are fighting with or for the Saudis which is ridiculous as I pointed out.

has the US- Saudi relations reached a new level with American pilots fighting for the house of Saud.

Obviously this is the point that is being made.

So either way, just another bashing of the Saudis and trying to make them out as incompetent which is hardly the case. They have a lot to deal with in Yemen, specifically collateral damage that many don't seem to take into consideration, not to mention the actual success they're having that's always minimized.

If there are in fact American missions using the A-10, then I highly doubt there is any "testing" involved, nor is there fighting on behalf of the Saudis. More like a joint operation for a specific mission that could have US anti-terrorism interests involved.

I am not a troll don't want to throw this thread off topic but Israeli have bombed Yemen in past and USA has also bombed Yemen in past. USA drone missions have been taking Place regularly in Yemen.

And neither of those were done on the behalf of the Saudis, my friend. So why are you trying to make the connection?

I think KSA have paid USA to bomb in Yemen. simply! USA might be using A-10s along with F-18s and F-16s!

Saudi Arabia is testing Textron Scorpion light combat aircraft.. it will be the replacement of the A-10 in the US air force..the latter has never been sold before..

Saudi Arabia Puts Textron's Scorpion Light Attack Jet Through Its Paces
http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...s-scorpion-light-attack-jet-through-the-paces

Scorpion
View attachment 442330

View attachment 442331

View attachment 442328
Yes Indeed. KSA might also fund the project too!

A-10 is a nightmare for militia like Houthis, one of my favorite aircraft always imagine to have it in Pak army aviation.

@Khafee

Not good aircraft for Pakistan for fighting with India as later has better air force and air defense.

Not good aircraft for Pakistan for fighting with India as later has better air force and air defense.
I am talking about usage against militants like Houthis. A10 is best on its league in respect close air support.

I am talking about usage against militants like Houthis. A10 is best on its league in respect close air support.

A-10 can be shoot down by MANPADS and AAAs if used with good tactics and precision even by Houthis, it can only be beneficial for night operations.

A-10 can be shoot down by MANPADS and AAAs if used with good tactics and precision even by Houthis, it can only be beneficial for night operations.

As you said, A-10 is a huge and simple target for today’s modern armies but good for militants without even Manpads. It is not important How USA is overestimating own products to export them successfully abroad. A-10 doesn’t have a second chance against a platform like Korkut. If you ask me, Attack helicopters are more beneficial than A-10 in asymmetric warfare in many aspects.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom