What's new

Who gives a hoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkStar

Reaction score
A phenomenon that has cropped up recently, is excessive hooting at new female members of the forum when they introduce themselves in the new members introduction forum.

The act of passing cheap comments, 'wink wink nudge nudge' hints, excessive displays of testosteronic joy, and general innuendo bandied about is degrading to the forum, the new member, and reflects badly on the poster/s engaged in this 'excercise'.

This is can also be seen as a mild form of sexual harrassment, and will not be taken kindly to by the Admins/Mods in the future.

We do not wish to give the impression that we are a forum with inane desperados as its membership, and such displays are not in keeping with the noble and lofty ideals of this board.

I hope we do not see such displays in the future.

My Hero!! :smitten:

Frankly, I am a little surprised- What brought this on? A little sexual tension is good in my opinion, as long as members do not cross the line. It hasn’t happened so far - not with me anyway. You guys have been perfect gentlemen.

My Hero!! :smitten:

Frankly, I am a little surprised- What brought this on? A little sexual tension is good in my opinion, as long as members do not cross the line. It hasn’t happened so far - not with me anyway. You guys have been perfect gentlemen.

Thank you for those sentiments.

Of course it's a matter of perspective, and behind the scenes, concerns had been raised.

Well, it's better to nip it in the bud, before it becomes something that which it necessarily isn't at the moment.

Salaam o alaikum

I frequent an Islamic forum (Yanabi.com) and such behaviour would not be accepted there.

The admin straight away ban such baysharram members, if anything like this occurred.

Granted, this is not an Islamic forum, however the basic etiquettes of Islam should be stringently maintained on this space:

*The forum is “Pakistan defence” – Pakistan is a Muslim country and we are representing that very Muslim country.

*I assume that the admin are Muslim, and as such are duty bound to maintain basic Islamic etiquette.

After all, Muslims claim to be following the correct path. What is the point in making such bold claims if you are to act no differently and in instances WORSE than non Muslims?

It seems to me that we are Muslim by name, yet we are not willing to act upon the basic tenants of Islam.

What do you think?

(PS – I AM NOT TALIBAN!)

Hi Darkstar,

Those are my sentiments. The mods need to step up.

Salaam o alaikum

I frequent an Islamic forum (Yanabi.com) and such behaviour would not be accepted there.

The admin straight away ban such baysharram members, if anything like this occurred.

Granted, this is not an Islamic forum, however the basic etiquettes of Islam should be stringently maintained on this space:

*The forum is “Pakistan defence” – Pakistan is a Muslim country and we are representing that very Muslim country.

*I assume that the admin are Muslim, and as such are duty bound to maintain basic Islamic etiquette.

After all, Muslims claim to be following the correct path. What is the point in making such bold claims if you are to act no differently and in instances WORSE than non Muslims?

It seems to me that we are Muslim by name, yet we are not willing to act upon the basic tenants of Islam.

What do you think?

(PS – I AM NOT TALIBAN!)

I think go back to your village
oh bahi khuda ka wasta hai dont bring religion into this , My recommendation you stay at that Islamic forum and God be with you.
Amen.
The girls on this forum are pretty mature and can handle them selves very well. Thankyou for the lecture Mulana Sahib.

Salaam o alaikum

What do you think?

(PS – I AM NOT TALIBAN!)
fhassan,

We're a secular forum and what brought his on is a continued commitment to professionalism and of course the renowned Pakistani etiquettes of the respect that should be endowed towards women, the same etiquettes taught by most Pakistani Ma's and Pa's.

I think DS's message is self explanatory and it serves the purpose A OK.

Two thumbs up for DarkStar!
I agree.....This has been a practice and should be discouraged radically.The distinctive behaviour towards the female members may serve as a deterrent against their stay on forum.
Although half of the forum members are ignorant of my gender:undecided:..but I dont give two hoots even if they hoot at me,Now webby is going to dislike me (*whisper* he doesn't like people who don't give two hoots:D) so like MuradK said..we are mature enough to handle that.

Last edited:
Disclaimer: My replies do not represent the views of any other female members. These are solely mine. Moreover, they are not intended to offend anyone's sensibilities.

@ Dark Star: "A phenomenon that has cropped up recently, is excessive hooting at new female members of the forum when they introduce themselves in the new members introduction forum. The act of passing cheap comments, 'wink wink nudge nudge' hints, excessive displays of testosteronic joy, and general innuendo bandied about is degrading to the forum, the new member, and reflects badly on the poster/s engaged in this 'excercise'."

Seriously, it’s all in good fun and no offence taken. It’s not like the male members are popping out of the computer screens to meet the female members. Furthermore, what is “excessive display of testosteronic joy”? Please explain. Tomorrow when I welcome three male members back-to-back (I currently don’t welcome anyone), will I be described as exuding “excessive displays of estrogenic joys”?

Secondly, if someone wants to complain about anything they find offending, there is a “report post” link given under the avatar. I don’t think the male members prevent the female members from using that. May be you should mail an email about how to go about this forum – tell what is the thanks link, the report post link, the edit post option, the delete visitor message option – before letting any new member post or start an intro thread. You guys just leave everyone out to figure stuff – it took me weeks. This way, the new member knows the options he/she can avail and the old members know their limits.

As for cheap comments, they are far less on the intro thread than on the threads being discussed elsewhere here. For instance, do go and check out the “Sikhs asked to leave Orakzai Agency” thread. Two members found it quite hilarious to discuss “the price” of a Sikh girl and American “lass”. Last I checked they were still there. Similarly, the thread, “Women’s thoughts under scrutiny” — It is typecasting of the worst order. Don’t have this “don’t be disrespectful” to women rule in the intro section only, have it across the board.

While your concerns are genuine, I am guessing we are all mature enough to have a little fun. If someone can’t, then an easy way is to ignore those threads. Every day there are at least 10 new threads started but one doesn’t comment on each and every single one of them because one chooses not to. Not that one doesn’t have an opinion about those topics.

@ MuradK:"I think go back to your village. oh bahi khuda ka wasta hai dont bring religion into this , My recommendation you stay at that Islamic forum and God be with you. Amen. The girls on this forum are pretty mature and can handle them selves very well. Thankyou for the lecture Mulana Sahib."

I echo your sentiments about the girls being mature! Thank you!

@Asim Aquil: We're a secular forum and what brought his on is a continued commitment to professionalism and of course the renowned Pakistani etiquettes of the respect that should be endowed towards women, the same etiquettes taught by most Pakistani Ma's and Pa's. I think DS's message is self explanatory and it serves the purpose A OK.

No Asim, DarkStar's message is not self-explanatory. Secondly, if you want the male members to behave "professionally" with the female members, put this as part of the rules. Thirdly, as for the "renowned Pakistani etiquettes endowed towards women", you need to list them out. Being a female who lives in Pakistani, I don’t know what these “renowned Pakistani etiquettes” are.

What should be emphasised is decorum and respect towards all members regardless of their gender. Otherwise you bring in an element of discrimination and inequality. I have come across posts where posters start their comments with words such as "idiot", "loser" etc etc with members of this forum they are vaguely familiar with let alone being on friendly terms. I won't say that I don't indulge in this, but not with members who I don't know. There is something called "good behaviour" which is amiss here en masse. You need to work on that.

Last edited:
This was a very clever thread.

:lol:I think I know what you mean.

But I agree with Dark Star. There have been some cheap comments.
Still I think Death.By.Chocolate is more closer to my opinion. Some sort of sexual tension is unavoidable and may be it even helps the forum. But it is difficult to decide the line. Even if that particular member thinks its OK, the thread may intimidate new members(We are already short on this count:frown:).

@Nadia: You are supposed to answer something

Seems to me alot of guys have trouble finding girlfriends..:lol:

I'm with darkstar.........man,the females get flooded with replies in their introduction posts(yeah ,i'm jealous!!!)..........we can welcome them in a more proffessional and restrained way........thnx

Similarly, the thread, “Women’s thoughts under scrutiny” — It is typecasting of the worst order. Don’t have this “don’t be disrespectful” to women rule in the intro section only, have it across the board

i decided not to participate in this thread except then being the first one to thank Darki, but let me tell you, you are an attention seeker.

Well flowing back to the topic, if you find the above mentioned thread offensive, sexually harassive or a tool to down grade the girl power, then the simplest thing you can do is just to ignore it, or in the worst case scenario while you have suggested the usage of Report Button to other worthy members, you probably yourself forgot the 'right' use of the button.

BTW, there are other few "girls' who find it amusing and like to participate in it. If you consider it as a typecast(though for many it isn't), please don't visit the thread, you may like to stop such thread when you become a mod or something to that effect, till then please make use of your common sense and refrain from pointing out others. You have a problem, again, there are methods you can make use of, other than the brain following can be done:

Use the Report button.

PM one of the Mods

PM one of the Admins

Open a thread asking members' opinion.

Chill!

Dear Mr. Enigma 947, you stopped reading my post on the second last para. the next one said, "I am guessing we are all mature enough to have a little fun. If someone can’t, then an easy way is to ignore those threads. Every day there are at least 10 new threads started but one doesn’t comment on each and every single one of them because one chooses not to. Not that one doesn’t have an opinion about those topics."

I do exactly that with your thread. You are entitled to your fun as others are to theirs. What is offensive is a relative word, one can't measure everyone by the same yardstick. So even if I find it typecasting, I realise that you and other female members can have a nice time there. I am not stopping you. Nor asking anyone to stop your thread.

I am certainly entitled to my opinion, how much you might want to disagree with. Kindly, do not derail the thread and please keep the curtness in check. That will be much appreciated.

Case Closed.

Last edited:
Reactions: S-2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom