What's new

Which Indian King/Historical event is most under appreciated in Indian History?

Actually Aurangzeb (or rather the Mughal family) followed the Hanafi fiqh. It's a school of though that is comparatively more 'tolerant' than other schools of though like the 'Shafi'. According to the Hanafi fiqh, Jizya is imposed, ie there is a way a Dhimmi can live. Sikander Butshikan lived by a different code. If you compare Aurangzeb and Sikander, Aurangzeb was a dove. :D
Oh come on, now. Aurangzeb's bigotry can least be explained by jizyah and Islamic conversion can least be understood by Sikandar alone.

If time-degree of conversion proportion is to be believed would it explain the state of Hyderabad or Junagadh
Actually Hyderabad and Junagadh were mere Princely states and had limited control over State Law. Forget Jizya, even the Hindu states could not enforce their own Hindu or Sikh/etc code.

Oh come on, now. Aurangzeb's bigotry can least be explained by jizyah and Islamic conversion can least be understood by Sikandar alone.
You are taking the minimal rule. I am saying that Aurangzeb pales in comparison to Sikander in idol destruction. Not in the number of idols felled, but the zeal displayed in doing so.

Actually Hyderabad and Junagadh were mere Princely states and had limited control over State Law. Forget Jizya, even the Hindu states could not enforce their own Hindu or Sikh/etc code.

You are taking the minimal rule. I am saying that Aurangzeb pales in comparison to Sikander in idol destruction. Not in the number of idols felled, but the zeal displayed in doing so.
I was not merely talking about jizyah. I had enough for today. Time to leave.

Set up new national school board: Baba Ramdev to Narendra Modi government - The Economic Times

HARIDWAR: Yoga guru Baba Ramdev has proposed a new national school board focused on "Indianising" the education system and is hoping to get Prime Minister Narendra Modi's backing for the idea.

The proposed board will allow affiliated schools to offer a blend of the traditional gurukul system with a modern curriculum, Ramdev told ET. He's calling it the Bharatiya Board of Secondary Education or BBSE.

"I raised this issue with Modiji one-and-a-half months after his swearing in," Ramdev said. "At this point, all I can only tell you is that the honourable PM is not here to enjoy the fruits of power. He wants to change the current systems. He wants our education system to be holistic, a blend of modern and Indian. He seems committed to the idea."

Ramdev had campaigned aggressively for Modi before the Lok Sabha elections earlier this year. The yoga guru added that he will soon pitch the idea to Union human resource development minister Smriti Irani as well, but not before he holds a conference of educationists in Haridwar to draw up the broad contours of the proposal. Irani was not available for comment despite repeated attempts by ET.

The move comes as some affiliates of the Sangh Parivar, such as Shiksha Bachao Andolan Samiti founder Dinanath Batra, have called for changes in the curriculum to better reflect Indian values. Gujarat has already made Batra's books compulsory in schools, leading to criticism by some experts.

Elaborating on his proposal, Ramdev said the proposed board's curriculum would be secular and would blend Indian heritage, values and the glory of past and present achievements.

"In mathematics we'll include a few chapters of Vedic maths so that students can do a comparative study. The history being taught to our students was written from the point of view of our colonial rulers. When we learn about Hitler we talk of his cruelty, but the English people have not been less cruel than him. We have to teach history from the point of view of justice," he said.

According to Ramdev, systems such as the Central Board of Secondary Education are restrictive and don't focus enough on gurukul methods. BBSE, if approved by the government, will allow Acharyakulam to sustain its model of education right up to class 12.

According to Ramdev aide Acharya Balkrishna, the new plan would also benefit thousands of other schools in the country that follow similar models but are not affiliated to any education board.

"There are many schools in the country such as the Vidya Bharati schools (run by the Rashtrya Swayamsevak Sangh) and the gurukuls run by the Arya Samaj which have no uniformity in their curriculum and functioning. A new board will benefit all," Balkrishna said.

In Hyderabad, the laws were discriminatory against Hindus, only Urdu was taught in school and Hindus were discriminated in jobs, 95% of them taken by Muslims, rest 5% was shared by British and Hindus. It was only after the liberation in 1948 that Telugu was established as an official language.

Eaton is not an idiot that he would conflate between political power of Turkic rule with political power of Islam.If you had read his articles more thoroughly with patience you would have known that he said exactly about this same confusion that proponents of Sword theory were suffering from. He writes about it which you think he has been confused about and I quote,

Is he the same guy who claimed only 80 temples were destroyed. Difficult to believe, when Portuguese themselves destroyed more than 300 Temples in tiny Goa during Inquisition of 258 years, difficult to believe only 80 temples were destroyed in India by Turkic invaders.

In Hyderabad, the laws were discriminatory against Hindus, only Urdu was taught in school and Hindus were discriminated in jobs, 95% of them taken by Muslims, rest 5% was shared by British and Hindus. It was only after the liberation in 1948 that Telugu was established as an official language.

Is he the same guy who claimed only 80 temples were destroyed. Difficult to believe, when Portuguese themselves destroyed more than 300 Temples in tiny Goa during Inquisition of 258 years, difficult to believe only 80 temples were destroyed in India by Turkic invaders.
It is unbelievable indeed if he said only 80 temples had been destroyed. But He has given a chart (can't give the link from mobile) and calls it list of "instances" of temple destructed from 1200 to 1800 (roughly) which have definite authentic documentation.

In Hyderabad, the laws were discriminatory against Hindus, only Urdu was taught in school and Hindus were discriminated in jobs, 95% of them taken by Muslims, rest 5% was shared by British and Hindus.
That is true. But the convert or die or pay jizya stuff could not be implemented.

Eaton himself counts as one case the thousandfold temple destruction in Varanasi by Mohammed Ghori’s troops in 1194, so these “80” cases really affected thousands of temples.
Secondly, there is a big difference between the extremely rare Hindu (and perhaps more frequent Mesopotamian) practice of idol abduction and the frequent Islamic practice of idol destruction. In the rare cases where Hindu rulers abducted anidol of some prestige, they installed it in their own temple and continued its worship, all while leaving the victim population free to install another idol of the samerespect the svadharma (own religion) of his new subjects. By contrast, where Muslims destroyed idols and their temples, they did not resume worship of the idol or the deity: theirs was an attack on a religion, and their idol destruction was conceived as part of the destruction of a religion.

Last edited:
I havent read full reply yet but there is no one mention Satvahna still 5pages.they r one of best kindom in history and Indian calendar started from a day when Satvahna Empire established

They rule current day Andhra,Maharashtra,Karnataka to Delhi

Not to mention the Rastrakutas, who in their time were as fearsome a military power as the Assyrians in theirs.

I really wish I had got access to broadband when this discussion was going on. After a long time, a sensible, fact-based one. It was a pleasure reading the contributions, but at the risk of offending @scorpionx , @levina and Buttsy the ever-victorious - actually, many others as well - I have to appreciate @SarthakGanguly . I've totally given up trying to understand the galoot or understand his politics.

Just want to say that this last thread was the balm of Gilead to a badly battered sensibility.

I really wish I had got access to broadband when this discussion was going on. After a long time, a sensible, fact-based one. It was a pleasure reading the contributions, but at the risk of offending @scorpionx , @levina and Buttsy the ever-victorious - actually, many others as well - I have to appreciate @SarthakGanguly . I've totally given up trying to understand the galoot or understand his politics.

Just want to say that this last thread was the balm of Gilead to a badly battered sensibility.
Oh sir, I would not be offended by your words, atleast not now.
I'm sorry for how I behaved on one of the threads when I hardly knew you. :(
I guess my first assumption about conversion to islam is what you're supporting.
In that case the buck stops at @scorpionx 's table. He influneced me.
Kidding!
I took Richard eaton's theory as one of the reasons for conversion and not the only one. :)
Now we can bash up @Armstrong for adding fuel to fire. :P

PS:
The word galoot goes straight to my dictionary... I might need it often on this forum. :D

I've totally given up trying to understand the galoot or understand his politics.
Long time no see, hope you are good. :) I remain a right winger with conviction though :D

Read a couple of books, one of Irfan Habib. Came to know a lot of stuff. Of course the conclusions in some places had bias, but then so did I read Sita Ram Goel.* He had his bias too. :) But facts remain facts, the nazariya remains different. @scorpionx - You will pleasantly surprised to know that many if not most historians are from Eastern India, especially Bengal. :)

This mid-November onwards will again get time to go through more books. The State Library in Bangalore has a number of very old books that have caught my fancy - there are many which date back to the late 19th century! They even have it printed in the first pages - "Reprinted in Bombay Lahore Madras Kolkata Karachi Delhi" ...and the smell. Never studied history after school, except for WW2, so these keep me busy now. :D

*Also came to know that its normal and called historiography.

The word galoot goes straight to my dictionary
Mine too. I like the word. :P

Read a couple of books, one of Irfan Habib. Came to know a lot of stuff. Of course the conclusions in some places had bias, but then so did I read Sita Ram Goel.* He had his bias too. :) But facts remain facts, the nazariya remains different. @scorpionx - You will pleasantly surprised to know that many if not most historians are from Eastern India, especially Bengal. :)

This mid-November onwards will again get time to go through more books. The State Library in Bangalore has a number of very old books that have caught my fancy - there are many which date back to the late 19th century! They even have it printed in the first pages - "Reprinted in Bombay Lahore Madras Kolkata Karachi Delhi" ...and the smell. Never studied history after school, except for WW2, so these keep me busy now. :D

Mine too. I like the word. :P
You're lucky!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom