What's new

When China Rules the World

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't like the way people from mainland curls their tongue too much when they speak. I thought you guys are much more nasal than us.
The pronounciations are all sort of stick together and it sounds like you are mumbling.

edit: It's just me, I like words pronounced distinctively and clearly. (and not just chinese but in any language) It is also why I prefer New Zealand english over american ones because they also tends to mumble a bit.

Somehow if the words are all stuck together and into a rambling run it gives an unintelligent impression. (not referring specifically to chinese.) For example I was never really used to the Korean way of drawing out syllabus at the end of their sentences.

Wow dude you're painting a broad brush over two dialectically complex landmasses.

Of course, a lot of middle age Shanghainese have a very heavy distinct accent when speaking Mandarin.

My father and my mother both have been confused as Taiwanese sometimes because of their Southern accent. And my father has the ancestry from Jiangsu and my mother has the ancestry from Zhejiang.

And sometimes even some other Chinese people said that Shanghainese sounds like Japanese, because of the rough harsh sounds. :P

Interesting.

Nine of out ten of my college mates can't tell where I come from judging from my accent when we first met. Jiangsu, Zhejiang, Shenzhen they usually guessed. So I decided to speak more Beijing style in college.

Oh I know about shanghainese and I wasn't referring to that. Yes they do soud like japanese spoken with a chopping feel to it.

Wow dude you're painting a broad brush over two dialectically complex landmasses.

I can't explain it better. I suppose the younger chinese students automatically find a common accent they can all accept.
About the states there is a research fellow over here right now and he speaks quite distinctively from everyone else.

Anyway maybe back to topic.

Interesting.

Nine of out ten of my college mates can't tell where I come from judging from my accent when we first met. Jiangsu, Zhejiang, Shenzhen they usually guessed. So I decided to speak more Beijing style in college.

The younger generation in Shanghai can speak the Mandarin much better than the previous generation.

Since the previous generation of Shanghainese didn't speak any Mandarin at school.

Of course and you guys learn it in the class while us learned it naturally from daily life. So the Shanghainese can speak perfect standard mandarin while the Beijingers creat a new standard.

Of course and you guys learn it in the class while us learned it naturally from daily life. So the Shanghainese can speak perfect standard mandarin while the Beijingers creat a new standard.

The CCTV anchors might have the best accent.

Well, talking about accent, did you guys ever heard of "cantonese mandarin" which most of us Hongkongers speak? we don't curl our tongue atall.:D

I noticed that too, when catonese people speak catonese they sounds completely different to when they speak mandarin.

Because catonese and mandarin sounds quite different I would expect their mandarin to have catonese accents mixed in, but I suppose they are two distinct sets of pronounciations with little overlap and mix up in between.

Also in 1980s 1990s when HK movie was big many catonese actors who learned mandarin will find markets in Taiwan, in a way I feel HK mandarin and Taiwan official mandarin are close.

To be honest, most of us can't handle mandarin atall, usually, we just speak cantonese a little sideway to make it sounds like mandarin.

I can't explain it better. I suppose the younger chinese students automatically find a common accent they can all accept.
About the states there is a research fellow over here right now and he speaks quite distinctively from everyone else.

Anyway maybe back to topic.

Personally I think the Taiwanese accent recieves better receptions amongst the youth and is regarded as the better social accent. Commonly associated with the teenpop talkshows and idol programes etc.

On the other hand, our mainland accent are to me, much more formal and allows for greater impact on things such as news and political speeches.
I loved the Taiwanese accent but I have gown and have acquired the taste of love for the mainland accent. :smitten:

To be honest, most of us can't handle mandarin atall, usually, we just speak cantonese a little sideway to make it sounds like mandarin.

Very true. :tup:

I wish they would put more emphasis on learning Mandarin in the Hong Kong education system.

Well, talking about accent, did you guys ever heard of "cantonese mandarin" which most of us Hongkongers speak? we don't curl our tongue atall.:D

Too many tones, hurts my head.

haha I would love to hear what that sounds like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom