What's new

When China Rules the World

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fujian like accent are usually people who also speaks taiwanese/hokkien. They tends to be a bit to the green side.
KMT and blue people, and people from the higher education strata have little visible accent. Their tone sounds almost neutral.

KMT and blue people, and people from the higher education strata have little visible accent. Their tone sounds almost neutral.
Yet you can still pick them off from a crowd of Mainlanders. They speak with what I call the Taipei bastard accent. 庹宗華 comes to mind. Virtually everybody in Taipei sounds like that, regardless of ancestry.

Yet you can still pick them off from a crowd of Mainlanders. They speak with what I call the Taipei bastard accent. Virtually everybody in Taipei sounds like that, regardless of ancestry.

The Chinese daily TV news here borrow clips from both mainland and Taiwanese news stations and I tend be able to distinguish them by the fact the Taiwanese accent is a bit more nasal phonetically speaking.

I have no experience with minnan, hokkien or other accents to compare with.

I just don't like the way people from mainland curls their tongue too much when they speak. I thought you guys are much more nasal than us.
The pronounciations are all sort of stick together and it sounds like you are mumbling.

edit: It's just me, I like words pronounced distinctively and clearly. (and not just chinese but in any language) It is also why I prefer New Zealand english over american ones because they also tends to mumble a bit.

Somehow if the words are all stuck together and into a rambling run it gives an unintelligent impression. (not referring specifically to chinese.) For example I was never really used to the Korean way of drawing out syllabus at the end of their sentences.

I just don't like the way people from mainland curls their tongue too much when they speak. I thought you guys are much more nasal than us.
The pronounciations are all sort of stick together and it sounds like you are mumbling.

Meh probably just what we are use to. What part of the mainland are you referring to.

Curling the tongue too much? Is it a similarity between the Beijing accent and American English?

Maybe that is the only character the old Beijing dialect remains in today's putonghua. People from different places tend to speak in such a way to make others think they were from Beijing but the sad truth is that the true old Beijing dialect is about to obsolete.

Curling the tongue too much? Is it a similarity between the Beijing accent and American English?

Maybe that is the only character the old Beijing dialect remains in today's putonghua. People from different places tend to speak in such a way to make others think they were from Beijing but the sad truth is that the true old Beijing dialect is about to obsolete.

I don't know, I think though they are similar Beijing hua is still distinguishable from 'standard' mandarin.

Not as heavy as the actual beijing accent but actually majority of overseas chinese student that came here to study carries the accent, and actually they all sounds pretty similar.

Do people from shanghai have heavy accents?
I know someone from Xian, he sounds a lot better.

Or maybe I just tend to notice the rich spoiled bunch (since they tends to be the loudest). I suppose it's more of a manner thing.

edit: It's just me, I like words pronounced distinctively and clearly. (and not just chinese but in any language) It is also why I prefer New Zealand english over american ones because they also tends to mumble a bit.

Somehow if the words are all stuck together and into a rambling run it gives an unintelligent impression. (not referring specifically to chinese.) For example I was never really used to the Korean way of drawing out syllabus at the end of their sentences.

Only the people from Beijing and Tianjin have the curled tongue accent.

But most part of China doesn't use with that way.

Not as heavy as the actual beijing accent but actually majority of overseas chinese student that came here to study carries the accent, and actually they all sounds pretty similar.

Or maybe I just tend to notice the rich spoiled bunch (since they tends to be the loudest).

You can call that the 'popular accent'. People just feel like the accent. Ironically, as a Beijinger, I had the entire education background before Ph.D in Haidian but actually started to learn to speak Beijing hua in college. Before that I tried to speak as 'standard' as I could.

I really love the Beijing accent. :D

Hao wanr!

All CCTV anchors don't use to have the stereotypical Beijing accent, even most of them are from Northern China.

These people have spoken the most standard Mandarin as i suppose.

Actually I think their accents has been 'Beijinglized' if you compare the Xinwen lianbo with the standard answers of GaoKao Yuwen problems.
But still, it is a kind of 'standard'.

The CCTV presenters doesn't actually speak like the accents I normally heard, I thought that must been the official accent.

Of course, a lot of middle age Shanghainese have a very heavy distinct accent when speaking Mandarin.

My father and my mother both have been confused as Taiwanese sometimes because of their Southern accent. And my father has the ancestry from Jiangsu and my mother has the ancestry from Zhejiang.

And sometimes even some other Chinese people said that Shanghainese sounds like Japanese, because of the rough harsh sounds. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom