What's new

What's this about J-20?

Awesome

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
I mean excuse me if I sound like sleeping under a rock all this while, but when did J-XX start to be termed as J-20?

I'm seeing a lot of threads with J-20 this n that, but what is the official word from Chinese authorities?

Chinese Air Force official: China's fourth-generation fighters refer to modified J-10 fighters

16:48, November 24, 2009 Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum Increases

China's fourth-generation fighters reported by media recently refer to a series of modified J-10 fighters, a Chinese Air Force official said November 23, 2009.

As to the classification of fighter generations, the world's military powers are varied. The U.S. defines F-15, F-16 fighters with the characteristics of transonic speed in medium-low altitude as third generation fighters and F-22, F-35 fighters with good performance in stealth, super sonic cruise and super maneuverability as fourth generation fighters.

Russia defines MiG-29, Su-27/30 fighters as third generation fighters and defines Su-35, the modified third generation fighters as fourth generation. The new generation of fighters with good performance in stealth, super sonic cruise and super maneuverability are defined as fifth generation.

The official said that China's fighters were independently created on the basis of introduction and imitation of Russian-made equipment and the fourth-generation fighters referred to the modified J-10 fighters.

Last edited:
Chinese Air Force official: China's fourth-generation fighters refer to modified J-10 fighters:D:D

16:48, November 24, 2009 Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum Increases

China's fourth-generation fighters reported by media recently refer to a series of modified J-10 fighters, a Chinese Air Force official said November 23, 2009.

As to the classification of fighter generations, the world's military powers are varied. The U.S. defines F-15, F-16 fighters with the characteristics of transonic speed in medium-low altitude as third generation fighters and F-22, F-35 fighters with good performance in stealth, super sonic cruise and super maneuverability as fourth generation fighters.

Russia defines MiG-29, Su-27/30 fighters as third generation fighters and defines Su-35, the modified third generation fighters as fourth generation. The new generation of fighters with good performance in stealth, super sonic cruise and super maneuverability are defined as fifth generation.

The official said that China's fighters were independently created on the basis of introduction and imitation of Russian-made equipment and the fourth-generation fighters referred to the modified J-10 fighters.

129326972767925.jpg
Yeah that was the most obvious conclusion of the J-XX program, especially given the changes from the a/b variant. But I'm referring to the specific name of J-20 being used... What's up with that?

Where did that come from?

Chinese naming conventions often take a while to settle down and everyone start using one name.

JF-17 before it became JF-17 was FC-1, Super-7, S7 and so on.

it came from lanpang,the person who revealed these photos in the first time(lanpang),it's very likey he has military background ,almost all the chinese military forums have renamed it to J-20 since last year

1292575467_54586.jpg
lanpang is a guy on some Chinese forums?

wasn't j-20 supposed to have canards as supported by many reports and rumors.i still remember a Chinese member disclosing the article in one of the Chinese forums where it was clearly stated that j-20 proposed design was with canards but i can't see the canards in the above pics.is it just me who can't see the canards due to blurred image or are they really not there

I mean excuse me if I sound like sleeping under a rock all this while, but when did J-XX start to be termed as J-20?

I'm seeing a lot of threads with J-20 this n that, but what is the official word from Chinese authorities?

Many Chinese reports stated that j-xx itself is not an aircraft name rather it denotes a whole ongoing stealth program of China and the aircraft designations will be j-20,j-13 etc and these all come under j-xx designation

I still remember a Chinese member quoting that two stealth designs were proposed by Shenyang and Chengdu one was Tri-plane with canards and the other one was Delta wing with canard.The design of Shenyang was rejected for 5th generation while that of Chengdu was accepted .While now the Shenyang is working to make that proposed design as a 4.5 generation aircraft rather then 5th

Last edited:
So you guys are saying these pics, this time, are the real deal?

So is it like F-15 Silent eagle ?

And alos have canards?

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

So is it like F-15 Silent eagle ?

And also have canards?

Back
Top Bottom