What's new

What students are being taught about the separation of East Pakistan

I donno abt textbooks in Pakistan but I have personally seen PTV discussions on 1965 war and Kargil war, few years back. It was completely biased and was a direct attempt to brainwash the public with fake propaganda.

One channel, which is by far not even the most popular anymore. The growth of private media in Pakistan has meant that even Baluch separatists abusing Pakistan and promoting secession and propaganda get entire 'interview' shows devoted to them, which many Indians are fond of posting on this forum repeatedly.

The Pakistani print media, especially the English language one, has for years carried articles and analysis along the lines of those posted at the beginning of the thread.

Our commentators and politicians are fond of using the phrase 'another East Pakistan' when trying to get traction for a particular position, whether it be resource sharing or the discussion of violence in some regions.

Secondly, govt. channels is a media instrument of the state, they propagate views of the state. In that context, spreading fake propaganda for the sole purpose of brainwashing ur own countrymen is disgusting.

As I mentioned earlier, the PTV is far more balanced than the Indian channels I have seen. I don't think the PTV is brainwashing anyone, but at the same time, I do find generalizations being pursued for ulterior motives pretty disgusting.

Most of the times, Pakistanis curse Indian private channels but never has anyone voiced their dissent against Indian govt channel Doordarshan.

Because Doordarshan apparently does not have the kind of distribution private indian channels do, as opposed to PTV, which has equal-to or better-than distribution that most private TV channels in Pakistan.

The reason you don't find much commentary re Doordarshan is simply because it is not available nearly as widely.

The part in bold is so untrue in today's world. We now have access to the Internet whereby we can reach out to sources of multiple countries incl. Pakistan. And just to point out, the leading news agencies of all countries have agreements with each other whereby they can simply copy paste content which they develop for themselves. For eg. Dawn can simply copy-paste some thing interesting from ToI and vice-versa, they have copyright permission. But I am not pointing on that, I am pointing at the source, the content creation itself. The fake Wikileaks episode just a small pointer to something similar which has been going in Pakistan for long.

As expected, you didn't answer the question. Does India allow free and open access to Pakistani TV channels the way Pakistan does to Indian channels? Let me help you there. NO!!

As for the "internet" and open information etc. you are now hacking away at the very core of the argument that this thread was attempting to make... that somehow people in Pakistan are being "brainwashed". So if you Indians can look up stuff on the Internet, you don't think Pakistanis can? I don't know about 2010, but up until last year, Pakistan actually had higher teledensity than India, so access to information is at parity if not better. If you are going down the "we use the internet to get information" path, then accept your own argument, apply it to Pakistan and exit the conversation.

One question on the bold part:-

Hasn't that altered the mindset of several generations of Pakistanis towards India?

There are two principal things that affect a Pakistanis attitude towards India.

1) India's actions
2) Interactions with Indians

One question on the bold part:-

Hasn't that altered the mindset of several generations of Pakistanis towards India?

What exactly has altered?

Are you referring to something along the lines of how the Indian mindset has been altered through complete blackout of the Pakistan point of view.

I guess your line of thinking follows the ingrained mindset.

One channel, which is by far not even the most popular anymore. The growth of private media in Pakistan has meant that even Baluch separatists abusing Pakistan and promoting secession and propaganda get entire 'interview' shows devoted to them, which many Indians are fond of posting on this forum repeatedly.

The Pakistani print media, especially the English language one, has for years carried articles and analysis along the lines of those posted at the beginning of the thread.

Our commentators and politicians are fond of using the phrase 'another East Pakistan' when trying to get traction for a particular position, whether it be resource sharing or the discussion of violence in some regions.

My opinion earlier was based on PTV since that was the only one few years back that was broadcasted by my cable operator when Pakistani channels were allowed in India. Not now, but PTV was the only one channel available in Pakistan for quite many years just like Doordarshan was the only one available in India.

I donno abt textbooks in Pakistan but I have personally seen PTV discussions on 1965 war and Kargil war, few years back. It was completely biased and was a direct attempt to brainwash the public with fake propaganda.

TheN why is it that every few days an Indian member posts a Pakistani political talk show where an invited guest would do nothing but kowtow the 'Indian' line and still be broadcasted to the whole nation.

I sit with my family over dinners and we have seen programs where guests on such shows have uttered nothing but anti-Pakistani point of view and they live to do it another day.

We are open to criticism but not to insults.

The why is it that every few days an Indian member posts a Pakistani political talk show where an invited guest would do nothing but kowtow the 'Indian' line and still be broadcasted to the whole nation.

I sit with my family over dinners and we have seen programs where guests on such shows have uttered nothing but anti-Pakistani point of view and they live to do it another day.

We are open to criticism but not to insults.

I am not responsible for actions of others but if my posts are insulting then do let me know.

There are two principal things that affect a Pakistanis attitude towards India.

1) India's actions
2) Interactions with Indians

Vice-versa also stands true.

What exactly has altered?

Are you referring to something along the lines of how the Indian mindset has been altered through complete blackout of the Pakistan point of view.

I guess your line of thinking follows the ingrained mindset.

If you think Indian mindset is "ingrained", then TechLahore's reply above is very much also a reply to your above question.

Vice-versa also stands true.

If you think Indian mindset is "ingrained", then TechLahore's reply above is very much also a reply to your above question.

The difference is that your voices (your media) are heard loud and clear in Pakistan. And our voices, as T-faz says, are blocked out. Whether due to fear, an interest in continuing the indoctrination of the indian populace or pure hatred.

My opinion earlier was based on PTV since that was the only one few years back that was broadcasted by my cable operator when Pakistani channels were allowed in India. Not now, but PTV was the only one channel available in Pakistan for quite many years just like Doordarshan was the only one available in India.
PTV is govt channel so its obvious that it will telecast what Gvt says as in case of doordarshan channels which are GOI mouthpiece.btw y dont u watch different pak tv channels you need not to search on google or youtube just follow the below link it will give u the daily talk shows of different tv channels.

Pakistan Talk Show Programs | Pakistan Herald

the whole 71 story has been controversial, bengalis have exaggerated the 'atrocity' figures, no where in the text books they have also mentioned the tratorism of mukti bahnis, no where, we are taught whole muktis gathered a mass of crowd and opened gun fire, no where there is a mention of how ruthlessly indian army exploited the geography of bengal and violated the UN to enter and start a war in other country's territory..

indians try to criticise what manipulative history we are taught, but the rethorical question is, what indians are taught about kashmir in their text books, even will little or no criticism aside arundhati roy, no indian even looks at kashmir genocide as a gencide infact, thousands of kashmiris die each year and no indian cares?, no human rights issue, isnt it a hypocricy?

the indian education has cultivated a long lasting hatred for pakistanis.. this can be seen at the agenda put forward doing obama's visit, when indians were all but crying abt what relations US is carrying on with pakistan

Last edited:
As I mentioned earlier, the PTV is far more balanced than the Indian channels I have seen. I don't think the PTV is brainwashing anyone, but at the same time, I do find generalizations being pursued for ulterior motives pretty disgusting.

I donno wat channels you have seen, for me, based on my exposure to PTV and Indian govt channels, I stand by what I wrote earlier.

Because Doordarshan apparently does not have the kind of distribution private indian channels do, as opposed to PTV, which has equal-to or better-than distribution that most private TV channels in Pakistan.

The reason you don't find much commentary re Doordarshan is simply because it is not available nearly as widely.

Sir, Do you have any idea of the bold that you wrote above ?

As expected, you didn't answer the question. Does India allow free and open access to Pakistani TV channels the way Pakistan does to Indian channels? Let me help you there. NO!!

As for the "internet" and open information etc. you are now hacking away at the very core of the argument that this thread was attempting to make... that somehow people in Pakistan are being "brainwashed". So if you Indians can look up stuff on the Internet, you don't think Pakistanis can? I don't know about 2010, but up until last year, Pakistan actually had higher teledensity than India, so access to information is at parity if not better. If you are going down the "we use the internet to get information" path, then accept your own argument, apply it to Pakistan and exit the conversation.

Thats a different debate and a different thread.

I wonder if part of the reason many Indians believe Pakistanis do not get to read/hear criticism of Pakistani policies etc. is because they believe that Pakistan would (should?) fall apart and Pakistanis would stop believing in it as a nation-State.

To the contrary, despite a more vocal and pervasive media (from across the border and around the world as well) highlighting past and present policy flaws and taking on all manner of controversial topics for discussion, from all possible sides, the sense of nationhood (according to polls conducted by Western organizations) is stronger than ever.

The difference is that your voices (your media) are heard loud and clear in Pakistan. And our voices, as T-faz says, are blocked out. Whether due to fear, an interest in continuing the indoctrination of the indian populace or pure hatred.
Well it all depends on the interests of the people.interested ones do watch pak channels on internet unless people themselves want to live in matrix of propaganda .

Will you believe me if I tell that several pockets in Mumbai (I know of only Mumbai) received PTV broadcast (for long) from cable operators even after GoI had ordered its black out ?

Back
Top Bottom