What's new

What happens when a muslim prays in a public area in US

Many a times some masjids get soo over populated the jamaat ends up out of the masjid, I am yet to see anyone come over and say yo man go back inside! People respect other's religion isnt this what Indians were comparing by bringing in Saudi? Yet now they are now becoming Saudi? Seriously I am very confused with such stupid attitude!

First you try to unmask Saudi then you behave 100% just like them?!

Muslims have turned Islam into a private limited company.

There is a large amount of American Muslims converting to Islam daily. American people are not themselves bad thinkers.It is actually the government which plans out.

just like u
Not at all..I am not the one stopping others from questioning coz I cant answer...

Nor am I stopping one from praying outside...You on the other hand are!

Please stop your psychological projection!

Absolutely! BUT did you see them blocking ANY traffic?
Yes. They don't have to be in the middle of the sidewalk; they can pray off to the side, so people don't have to go around them.

I recall at one university - George Mason in Virginia - some Muslim students decided to regularly schedule lunch-hour prayers in a room used as a short-cut in the student center. It didn't strike me as convenient, as there were lots of tables and chairs. But they wanted to impede foot traffic, to make people use a different route. They then applied to the university to make the short-cut a dedicated prayer area which would essentially make it so only Muslims could use the short cut, or non-Muslims could only use it with Muslim permission - that is, they were trying to establish privilege for themselves and petty power over non-Muslims. Way not cool.

Yes. They don't have to be in the middle of the sidewalk; they can pray off to the side, so people don't have to go around them.

I recall at one university - George Mason in Virginia - some Muslim students decided to regularly schedule lunch-hour prayers in a room used as a short-cut in the student center. It didn't strike me as convenient, as there were lots of tables and chairs. But they wanted to impede foot traffic, to make people use a different route. They then applied to the university to make the short-cut a dedicated prayer area which would essentially make it so only Muslims could use the short cut, or non-Muslims could only use it with Muslim permission - that is, they were trying to establish privilege for themselves and petty power over non-Muslims. Way not cool.
Or maybe just requesting their rights to practice their religion? :what:

No one in England tells the govt to stop ringing the church bells...And mind you it rings in every small town in Italy and Spain!

Should we call that Christian privilege?

Oh sorry forgot Indians dont know how to do research:

Psychological projection is the act or technique of defending oneself against unpleasant impulses by denying their existence in oneself, while attributing them to others. For example, a person who is rude may constantly accuse other people of being rude.

Ok praying on the taxi is a little crazy...But why is praying in public wrong?

I am not pulling your legs but want to know what was wrong? Al you people keep saying it is wrong, no one justifies it or says the why you think it is wrong?

I have seen with my own eyes people praying in public places...Ok fine obstructing a path fair enough, but the guys in the video were not doing so...

Well, since you asked, there is nothing strictly forbidden when it comes to praying publicly, as per the law and the limits of our civil liberties.

Now, this man, could he not have found a mosque in Manhattan? Could he not find a quiet little spot to pray, or in his own taxi?
Or by the side of the taxi? Why must he make all the effort to put himself and his prayer on display, on display in a city, in a country and in a society who already hold not such positive views of us. Even though this prayer is compulsory, his method of doing it is no doubt doing more harm than good.

If that is the case, and I believe it is, that is very selfish of the man. Prayer in public? Fine, but only when you have no options left and you have no other means. Prayer in a very busy public area where your prayer will be put on display? Fine, but only if your intention is pure, if you mean to quickly and quietly perform your prayer without attracting stares and comments.

The fact of the matter is, there is very little chance that anyone would need to pray in public, let alone do it in such a way that they put themselves on display.

Now the question of what might be wrong with it from the religious perspective only? I personally beleive, purposely displaying prayer like that, is making a mockery of prayer. Your prayer is meant to be personal, a link between you and your God, if your intention is anything but that, then your prayer is definitely invalid. On a busy street, in a public area, where there are loud noises, traffic, cars, people, dogs, you name it. Is your prayer valid? Is your prayer the sort where you are concentrating, and not distracted.

Nothing wrong with public prayer under the circumstances, but only if it's the only option, and even then it should be done so to minimize exposure to others. In Western society, civil liberties are granted, but as such, the people have sense enough to not put their views and allegiances on display.

Take the kids that made this video OP posted, where they really trying to pray? Or did they make a mockery of that prayer by purposefully putting it up on display, so that they can make a cute little video, one of many. Their intention in that prayer is no good, their heart is not with the prayer, but elsewhere. Arguably, they are not in the state of wudu, which let me tell you isn't even half as much physical as it what is in the heart and mind. Niyat (intention) is everything in prayer, take that away and throw it elsewhere and your prayer is false. And in this case it's double damage, making a mockery of the prayer and putting it up on display to an audience that may take offence to it. And if God's given method of prayer is looked upon badly by other human beings, that burden and blame is on the person who put it there intentionally.

Or maybe just requesting their rights to practice their religion? :what:

No one in England tells the govt to stop ringing the church bells...And mind you it rings in every small town in Italy and Spain!

Should we call that Christian privilege?

Oh sorry forgot Indians dont know how to do research:

Psychological projection is the act or technique of defending oneself against unpleasant impulses by denying their existence in oneself, while attributing them to others. For example, a person who is rude may constantly accuse other people of being rude.

oh,,lol:smokin:

Ok praying on the taxi is a little crazy...But why is praying in public wrong?

I am not pulling your legs but want to know what was wrong? All you people keep saying it is wrong, no one justifies it or says the why you think it is wrong?

I have seen with my own eyes people praying in public places...Ok fine obstructing a path fair enough, but the guys in the video were not doing so...

Back to my question, why?

Same question to you @KingMamba

It is not wrong but it is unnecessary when God said you can make up prayers when you have the time then why go out of your way. Also for the guys who said tayammum America does not have dust or sand in the middle of streets lol. @Abu Nasar

Well, since you asked, there is nothing strictly forbidden when it comes to praying publicly, as per the law and the limits of our civil liberties.

Now, this man, could he not have found a mosque in Manhattan? Could he not find a quiet little spot to pray, or in his own taxi?
Or by the side of the taxi? Why must he make all the effort to put himself and his prayer on display, on display in a city, in a country and in a society who already hold not such positive views of us. Even though this prayer is compulsory, his method of doing it is no doubt doing more harm than good.
Not talking about this man I already said that is crazy to pray on the taxi..
My question and answers were all in regard to the video which is in OP...

If that is the case, and I believe it is, that is very selfish of the man. Prayer in public? Fine, but only when you have no options left and you have no other means. Prayer in a very busy public area where your prayer will be put on display? Fine, but only if your intention is pure, if you mean to quickly and quietly perform your prayer without attracting stares and comments.
1) How is it selfish?
2) no one will pray in busy public area, they will pray in an area where they can atleast do sujood no point praying when you are uncomfortable and staring right and left!
3) without attracting attention when you are in public?
4) Intention : ALLAH said no one but HE alone knows the intentions of men

Ok lets look at the video:
1) in public area
2) in a corner in a public area or at least away from heavy traffic
3) the reason for the movie was to attract stares and comments to get a feedback of how people would feel...Guess what the public felt nothing but a bunch of PDF felt complied to reply!
4) Intention again was to see public response and acceptability! Not one reported the police or started scream out of fear or hysteria!

So back to my question: If this was a real case scenario why is it wrong?

The fact of the matter is, there is very little chance that anyone would need to pray in public, let alone do it in such a way that they put themselves on display.
The very purpose of the movie was to get feedback of public reaction...1 woman in the movie actually shooed off another man by saying respect the person and tried to draw a line with whatever she was holding! (He was praying in a tent...not sure which traffic wanted to go in the tent)
Now the question of what might be wrong with it from the religious perspective only? I personally beleive, purposely displaying prayer like that, is making a mockery of prayer. Your prayer is meant to be personal, a link between you and your God, if your intention is anything but that, then your prayer is definitely invalid. On a busy street, in a public area, where there are loud noises, traffic, cars, people, dogs, you name it. Is your prayer valid? Is your prayer the sort where you are concentrating, and not distracted.

1) In the beginning of the video they said they will do it right with wudhu and try to concentrate..
2) It was a sort of study not a mockery!
3) They didnt force people to come and join and still 2 people (in the video) imitated ...No one got offended ...the guy finished his prayer and asked them what did they feel....If the intention was to make a mockery they would laugh or do it in a busy area!

Nothing wrong with public prayer under the circumstances, but only if it's the only option, and even then it should be done so to minimize exposure to others. In Western society, civil liberties are granted, but as such, the people have sense enough to not put their views and allegiances on display.
I expected this from one living in Asia but not 1 actually living in the West! I myself have prayed in a public library where people come to look at books but no one shooed me off for my 5mins...My sister has prayed in a jungle during her field trips where animals are wild and her non Muslim friends would guard her never did she ask of it but they willingly do it yet you being a Muslim are saying all this about "civilized" human beings? My friend has prayed in car parks, public parks, beach, aeroplane, car, train, classroom, corner of a library, office...I have seen someone pray on a corner near the street no one laughed or mocked! How could you say its a mockery?...we are not afraid to pray coz its our right plus like you said its between ALLAH and us and we will answer to ALLAH...Those who really want to pray dont look at such things, its between them and GOD not the people watching!

Take the kids that made this video OP posted, where they really trying to pray? Or did they make a mockery of that prayer by purposefully putting it up on display, so that they can make a cute little video, one of many. Their intention in that prayer is no good, their heart is not with the prayer, but elsewhere.
Now you can tell intentions ? Really? What if their heart was to show the world that people are not afraid of us? What if their heart was to show a positive light of the people of America who accept everyone and are not narrow minded?

Arguably, they are not in the state of wudu,
which let me tell you isn't even half as much physical as it what is in the heart and mind. Niyat (intention) is everything in prayer, take that away and throw it elsewhere and your prayer is false. And in this case it's double damage, making a mockery of the prayer and putting it up on display to an audience that may take offence to it. And if God's given method of prayer is looked upon badly by other human beings, that burden and blame is on the person who put it there intentionally.
I think you didnt watch the video? They said right in the beginning they will do it in the state of whudu!

To each his own but this kind of prayers (what ever might be the religion) mocks the religion itself.
How? That is the question I am asking around...Everyone says that and thinks they have done some grand job ...But the actual question is how is praying in public considered a mockery?

It is not wrong but it is unnecessary when God said you can make up prayers when you have the time then why go out of your way. Also for the guys who said tayammum America does not have dust or sand in the middle of streets lol. @Abu Nasar
God and prophet also said if you can pray..if you have time pray....

I remember someone telling me that when there was no prayer area in my uni, they used to pray in the hallway and that led to the admins to dedicate a prayer area for the Muslims...

Yet you had the audacity to paste this:
We have heard of "Brother In Islam" here we have an idiot in Islam.

Back
Top Bottom