What's new

What could have PAF done in Kargil war

Mig 29 (Fulcrums) were used they were armed with RVV-AE missiles with BVR capability allowing them to achieve total air superiority during the conflict and LGM were decisive.

Air superiority?..Debatable..there was no contest to attain air superiority over the Indian airspace by the PAF. Had there been an attempt then we could discuss it.

LGB sorties decisive?....claims to the contrary have been made by the Indian Army to the press.

Lets stop here. At least I will. I think we are starting to drift down the usual path ;) Lets be glad that there was no full-blown war. :cheers:

Air superiority?..Debatable..there was no contest to attain air superiority over the Indian airspace by the PAF. Had there been an attempt then we could discuss it.

LGB sorties decisive?....claims to the contrary have been made by the Indian Army to the press.

Lets stop here. At least I will. I think we are starting to drift down the usual path ;) Lets be glad that there was no full-blown war. :cheers:

OK quoting a from neutral source http://www.ciaonet.org/olj/sa/sa_jul03/sa_jul03sur01.html

Read The 1999 Kargil Conflict

Change of Tactics

The losses resulted in a change of tactics. Fighter operations stayed well above the ridgelines, using high-level bombing and laser-guided bombs. 44 Mirage fighters were used to lob laser-guided weapons at the bunkersan expensive way to fight infantry. However, no more aircraft were lost. Eventually, a combination of air power, determined infantry assault, and artillery bombardment resulted in the Pakistani forces retreating across the LoC. The turning point was the encirclement and then the successful air attack on the Muntho Dalo base camp, a logistics hub. The destruction of the camp resulted in the intruders' supply line being cut. Their positions having become untenable, they were forced to withdraw.

OK quoting a from neutral source http://www.ciaonet.org/olj/sa/sa_jul03/sa_jul03sur01.html

Read The 1999 Kargil Conflict

Change of Tactics

The losses resulted in a change of tactics. Fighter operations stayed well above the ridgelines, using high-level bombing and laser-guided bombs. 44 Mirage fighters were used to lob laser-guided weapons at the bunkersan expensive way to fight infantry. However, no more aircraft were lost. Eventually, a combination of air power, determined infantry assault, and artillery bombardment resulted in the Pakistani forces retreating across the LoC. The turning point was the encirclement and then the successful air attack on the Muntho Dalo base camp, a logistics hub. The destruction of the camp resulted in the intruders' supply line being cut. Their positions having become untenable, they were forced to withdraw.

My friend, IAF delivered a total of 9 LGBs (actually 8 from M2K and 1 from the JAG as per IAF sources) during the entire conflict through the Mirage 2000. I can dig this up (it was in the words of an Indian analyst). So to call these limited LGB sorties "decisive" is not exactly true.

The bolded text simply gives credit to all of the above because they participated in the operations. What was effective was the Indian Artillery. This is something that even the Pakistani side has commented upon. If IAF want to have their moment of glory by claiming that they had a major part to play, then they can do so by all means, however the side against which they were used does not think so. They hit certain positions with LGBs, but most other missions were with free-fall, dumb ordnance which was not very effective. The use of LGBs was very limited.

Last edited:
My friend, IAF delivered a total of 9 LGBs (actually 8 from M2K and 1 from the JAG as per IAF sources) during the entire conflict through the Mirage 2000. I can dig this up (it was in the words of an Indian analyst). So to call these limited LGB sorties "decisive" is not exactly true.

The bolded text simply gives credit to all of the above because they participated in the operations. What was effective was the Indian Artillery. This is something that even the Pakistani side has commented upon. If IAF want to have their moment of glory by claiming that they had a major part to play, then they can do so by all means, however the side against which they were used does not think so. They hit certain positions with LGBs, but most other missions were with free-fall, dumb ordnance which was not very effective. The use of LGBs was very limited.

Blain, IA seemed to be struck in mountains with terrible loss of lives it was at disadvantageous position lower in mountains even continous pounding by Bofors did not produce results fast public pressure was mounting. IAF joined later initially they lost two Aircrafts later they changed tactics and then achieved their objective. Hence it was said IAF support was decisive IA might not have achived it in shorter period.

Below link shows IAF Role in Kargil war (Has images too)

http://www.indianarmy.gov.in/arkargil/kargil-web.htm

Last edited:
Decisive was Pakistan's Political Decision to Back down when all your IA assests and men were at risk of death!

You as a Pakistani have a different interpretation than me.

It is good that it was over, as it had huge potential to escalate further with Catastrophic effects.

I am no War lover!

I want Peace .... I support peace .... But i hate Aggressions ...Suppressions and Hatered for Islam and its Followers!

My friend you are right but the photos published in the news and on the internet was of the American exercise, The F-16s were USAF.

Hi Sir.. As i am new to this forum and have heard that you have fougt 2 wars against India.. I am little curious to know about any such incidence where you really faced any kind of fear.....

Look i think they were shot down by the Anza MKII and that time India didn't retaliate.. Now Look how smart we are we just shot down Atlantice... So did you learn any message from this..?:crazy:

Whats so smart about shooting down an unarmed aircraft inside our own territory? :crazy:
Cosider yourself lucky we didn't retaliate in same manner.

Whats so smart about shooting down an unarmed aircraft inside our own territory? :crazy:
Cosider yourself lucky we didn't retaliate in same manner.

Smart thinking wow...if you mean by shooting down an unarmed aircraft ...on cowards can do that and we all know what Indians are. I have a firm belive we will square this up some were else yes by not shooting down an unarmed aircraft.:pakistan:

You as a Pakistani have a different interpretation than me.

It is good that it was over, as it had huge potential to escalate further with Catastrophic effects.

All escalation attempts failed. Didn’t India tried all available tools? Only after, realizing their limits they turned to US for mediation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom