What's new

What British people think about China

No !

The article per BBC proved you are wrong as you said
:

and the BBC stated clearly in bold fonts below:

Do you have a comprehension problem?

Jesus Christ.....i should be the one asking you that question. LOL
Show me where in the Article that states that China will build a CHINESE DESIGN nuclear reactor/project in Britain?? The Hinkley nuclear project that we are talking about is a french design/led nuclear project with Chinese FINANCE/CAPITAL.

The points you highlighted is even more prove of what i just stated, It clearly says COULD/SHOULD/WOULD. I quote: ''There are already reports that a Chinese-designed nuclear reactor could be built in Essex''

there is nowhere in the article that says a Chinese design nuclear power station is being built in Britain or even anywhere close to being built. The closest one that's anywhere near close to being finalized(will still take a long time though), is the Hinkley nuclear power project being led/designed by France as i stated earlier.

The other ones you highlighted proves my point even more. lol I quote: ''A mostly Chinese-owned plant in Bradwell would be a juicy incentive''

As you can see, all what you said/highlighted are merely media or 'analyst' own speculation. Meaning it COULD happen or not. So as i said , it will take years /decades for a CHINESE DESIGN nuclear power plant to be built in any western country. Even if/when that was to happen then it will be first in Britain, since we are more welcoming than any other western country when it comes to business.:D But before that China has to first build its own designed nuclear power plants and run them for years/decades before many western countries can start giving Chinese companies contracts in the west. Will take a lot of time, but think China will eventually get there, since you people have the money/manpower and resources to achieve that.:partay:

Seems you are the one with comprehension problems after all.:P.

Last edited:
I am also expressedly forbidden to take outside jobs.

What? That's ridiculous. Finish your Ph.D , then go into industry. You will make 3x, 4x more than what you will make in academia. Specially in your line of work ? Boy you gonna be BALLIN' in Benjaminzzzz.

Jesus Christ.....i should be the one asking you that question. LOL
Show me where in the Article that states that China will build a CHINESE DESIGN nuclear reactor/project in Britain?? The Hinkley nuclear project that we are talking about is a french design/led nuclear project with Chinese FINANCE/CAPITAL.

The points you highlighted is even more prove of what i just stated, It clearly says COULD/SHOULD/WOULD. I quote: ''There are already reports that a Chinese-designed nuclear reactor could be built in Essex''

there is nowhere in the article that says a Chinese design nuclear power station is being built in Britain or even anywhere close to being built. The closest one that's anywhere near close to being finalized(will still take a long time though), is the Hinkley nuclear power project being led/designed by France as i stated earlier.

The other ones you highlighted proves my point even more. lol I quote: ''A mostly Chinese-owned plant in Bradwell would be a juicy incentive''

As you can see, all what you said/highlighted are merely media or

You asked but you were wrong!

Are you colour blind or deep in comprehension trouble!!!!!!
I have already highlighted per post 28 that proved you were Bull shitting

British Prime Minister David Cameron is set to sign a landmark deal next month to allow China tobuild a nuclear reactor in Essex in the southeast of England, local media reported. The plantwould be the first Chinese-designed and operated facility in a Western developed countries.

As the British government aims to replace its aging fossil-fuel plants with low-carbon alternatives,the Chinese involvement is key to its nuclear plans.

The Chinese design is expected to be capable of producing 1 gigawatt of electricity-enough tosatisfy the needs of 1 million British households.

You still don't get my point at all(or you don't want to).lol
Why should we take risks to approve the construction of a LOCAL CHINESE DESIGNED nuclear power reactor in Britain, when China itself hasn't yet built and operate one for a while in its own country as of yet? :undecided: China Approves First Locally Designed Nuclear Reactor to Spur Economy - WSJ

Especially when there are players with much more experience? So China will need to first mature its own nuclear tech first before we can approve such a project. Until it is proven/mature i dont think we will take such a step.

By contrast your private telecom manufacturers are quite advanced, since their technology is quite mature/proven/tried and tested for years/decades, reason they win contracts here like hot cakes. As you can see, it's merely business, not hard feelings. If your tech/standard is good/mature/proven, then believe me you will be awarded contracts here without bias. Huawei U.K is a prove of this.:cheers:

Why should we take risks to approve the construction of a LOCAL CHINESE DESIGNED nuclear power reactor in Britain, when China itself hasn't yet built and operate one for a while in its own country as of yet? :undecided: China Approves First Locally Designed Nuclear Reactor to Spur Economy - WSJ

Especially when there are players with much more experience? So China will need to first mature its own nuclear tech first before we can approve such a project. Until it is proven/mature i dont think we will take such a step.

By contrast your private telecom manufacturers are quite advanced, since their technology is quite mature/proven/tried and tested for years/decades, reason they win contracts here like hot cakes. As you can see, it's merely business, not hard feelings. If your tech/standard is good/mature/proven, then believe me you will be awarded contracts here without bias. Huawei U.K is a prove of this.:cheers:

Allow me to interject, but I think we should appraise the trilateral constructivist paradigm here. The French will build the reactors in Britain, and the Chinese will provide the soft loans -- in British territory. How mature ! I think this is an example of extra-geopolitical cooperative paradigm between two EU member states and the People's Republic of China. I suppose it is an example of the multidimensional relationship which China has with the EU. In the end, its not just politics, there is also an economic factor involved.

I think we have to appraise the contributory role China has in global development and pro-stabilization processes.

you can keep on bullshiting 'when China itself hasn't yet built and operate one for a while in its own country as of yet"

BUT the following quotes are hard for you to swallow

Referring to post 18 (BBC report) it said:

As the world's biggest builder of nuclear power stations, Chinese state-owned companies are obvious candidates. The country currently operates 24 nuclear reactors with a further 25 under construction.

and in post 22:

"We don't lead any longer in new construction - China does," said Verdigris Capital Principal Andrew Paterson during the Nuclear Infrastructure Council Summit July 21 in Washington, D.C. "Fukushima does not seem to have delayed the renaissance in Asia."

China has also had success in building an indigenous nuclear program starting with the development and deployment of its 1,400-MW CAP1400 pressurized water reactor (PWR) designed by the State Nuclear Power Technology Corp. (SNPTC) and Shanghai Nuclear Engineering Research and Design Institute (SNERDI).

You are trying to troll and acting nasty as usual arent you?

Darling @Keel , please watch your language. There is no need to allow your emotions to be excessive, cool it, sweety.

@mike2000 is back ... further reading suppled per post 22 now displaying as follows:

credit to @Beidou2020
China's indigenous nuclear reactor ACP1000 wins IAEA approval

ACP1000 clears first hurdle on path to global market, winning IAEA approval

China's nuclear technology is fully equipped to compete against the West in bidding for international projects, a senior official at the China National Nuclear Corp said on Friday.

"Exporting nuclear technology is of strategic importance to China, and it creates more demand for China's own domestic nuclear supply chain. We look forward to exporting Chinese nuclear technology globally in the near future," said Li Xiaoming, assistant president of CNNC.

Li was speaking in Vienna, a day after CNNC's ACP1000 nuclear power reactor passed the Generic Reactor Safety Review by the International Atomic Energy Agency, a process that took a year to complete.

The ACP1000 forms the core technology of the Hualong One, a third-generation nuclear reactor design jointly developed by the CNNC and the China General Nuclear Power Group. Hualong One was created earlier this year within a government initiative to form a coherent nuclear technology policy in China.

China currently has two nuclear sites planned for Hualong One technology: Fuqing in Fujian province and Fangchenggang in Guangxi Zhuang autonomous region.

The development of third-generation nuclear technology came about after the Fukushima nuclear power station disaster in Japan, and has been designed to ensure better safety. China, the United States, France and Russia all have their own third-generation nuclear technology.

Li said that the IAEA's review of the ACP1000's technology met three main conclusions: That it is recognized as fully compliant with all the safety standards set by the IAEA, and is suitable to be sold outside China; that its technology is evolutionary, meaning it is constantly evolving by adding the latest and best technology to existing technology; and that it combines passive and active technology, ensuring better safety.

"If Chinese nuclear firms can successfully bid for international projects, it is a good demonstration of our own nuclear strengths and also helps with the domestic economy," Li said. "About 50 percent of the revenue from a nuclear project comes from equipment sales, and most of the equipment used in this case is Chinese technology made in China."

He said CNNC is currently exploring various opportunities to build nuclear plants overseas, including in the United Kingdom and Argentina.

In the UK, CNNC and CGN are both investing in Hinkley Point C, a nuclear plant project led by France's EDF Energy.

As a part of the agreement, EDF will subsequently support CNNC and CGN to invest in another UK-based nuclear power plant that uses Chinese technology.

Li said the international use of Chinese nuclear technology was still dependant on satisfying country-specific rules and requirements, although the globally recognized IAEA standard will make this process easier. For example, in the UK it still needs to pass the Generic Design Assessment designed by UK regulators.

Li said another important factor in ensuring the successful internationalization of Chinese nuclear technology would be public relations, to ensure its safety and quality messages are fully understood by the particular governments and communities involved.

Pan Ziqiang, a nuclear expert and an academician, said that passing the review means the Hualong One has been internationally recognized as having achieved the world's highest nuclear safety standards.

"The move is a milestone, and clearly it will help Chinese nuclear power companies to export their own nuclear technology, secured under independent intellectual property rights," he said.

However, he said passing the review is only a preliminary stage, and it is likely to take at least another five years for the construction of the first nuclear plant, referring to the reactors in Fuqing.

"Various countries have diffident nuclear plant regulation, supervision and control, so we still need to get approval from other nuclear export markets," Pan said.

What? That's ridiculous. Finish your Ph.D , then go into industry. You will make 3x, 4x more than what you will make in academia. Specially in your line of work ? Boy you gonna be BALLIN' in Benjaminzzzz.

What an impressive curriculum vitae , my friend, so next time if i ever have any questions regarding chemistry and physics, will make sure to tag you for your academic / professional input. Btw, i couldn't help but smile as i read your post, i can almost decipher your way of talking and your personality from your post. You sound very much like my one friend (he's a Ph.D in pharmacology btw, Chinese, and works as a developmental chemist for a company near New Brunswick). On our regular meet ups at the speakeasys in Philadelphia (close to Rittenhouse square), whenever we unwind , he always starts conversations with his day on research and how his managers piss him off, and goes on how research developmental pharmacologist are ones paving the way to new drugs by changing the nucleotides in new generations of cephalosporins as a way to bypass the microbial beta-lactamases. LOL. He refers to pharmacists (Pharm.Ds) as 'sell outs' , LOL.

Anyways, good to know your background. Good to see we have some academians in this forum. Perhaps we can talk more in the members section or the science and tech section of PDF. Where is not so politically 'toxic' as in this section.

Anyways, LOL. See you later, Mr. Alpha.

Man, I don't think I'd fit into academia here. I feel wierded out by alot of the PHDs who take themselves very seriously (in all fields). I don't take myself that seriously. I don't pretend that the stuff I make here will break Moore's law or solve the renewable energy problem, but it is interesting, allows me to play with some toys and incrementally moves in those steps. There are literally people here who think that they're gonna cure cancer or something. I think I am too easygoing and intolerant of injustices to survive as an academic scientist, which requires the opposite: taking yourself very seriously and being very tolerant of injustices against you. Basically I talk too much, joke too much and make too many small mistakes.

@mike2000 is back ... further reading suppled per post 22 now displaying as follows:

credit to @Beidou2020
China's indigenous nuclear reactor ACP1000 wins IAEA approval

ACP1000 clears first hurdle on path to global market, winning IAEA approval

China's nuclear technology is fully equipped to compete against the West in bidding for international projects, a senior official at the China National Nuclear Corp said on Friday.

"Exporting nuclear technology is of strategic importance to China, and it creates more demand for China's own domestic nuclear supply chain. We look forward to exporting Chinese nuclear technology globally in the near future," said Li Xiaoming, assistant president of CNNC.

Li was speaking in Vienna, a day after CNNC's ACP1000 nuclear power reactor passed the Generic Reactor Safety Review by the International Atomic Energy Agency, a process that took a year to complete.

The ACP1000 forms the core technology of the Hualong One, a third-generation nuclear reactor design jointly developed by the CNNC and the China General Nuclear Power Group. Hualong One was created earlier this year within a government initiative to form a coherent nuclear technology policy in China.

China currently has two nuclear sites planned for Hualong One technology: Fuqing in Fujian province and Fangchenggang in Guangxi Zhuang autonomous region.

The development of third-generation nuclear technology came about after the Fukushima nuclear power station disaster in Japan, and has been designed to ensure better safety. China, the United States, France and Russia all have their own third-generation nuclear technology.

Li said that the IAEA's review of the ACP1000's technology met three main conclusions: That it is recognized as fully compliant with all the safety standards set by the IAEA, and is suitable to be sold outside China; that its technology is evolutionary, meaning it is constantly evolving by adding the latest and best technology to existing technology; and that it combines passive and active technology, ensuring better safety.

"If Chinese nuclear firms can successfully bid for international projects, it is a good demonstration of our own nuclear strengths and also helps with the domestic economy," Li said. "About 50 percent of the revenue from a nuclear project comes from equipment sales, and most of the equipment used in this case is Chinese technology made in China."

He said CNNC is currently exploring various opportunities to build nuclear plants overseas, including in the United Kingdom and Argentina.

In the UK, CNNC and CGN are both investing in Hinkley Point C, a nuclear plant project led by France's EDF Energy.

As a part of the agreement, EDF will subsequently support CNNC and CGN to invest in another UK-based nuclear power plant that uses Chinese technology.

Li said the international use of Chinese nuclear technology was still dependant on satisfying country-specific rules and requirements, although the globally recognized IAEA standard will make this process easier. For example, in the UK it still needs to pass the Generic Design Assessment designed by UK regulators.

Li said another important factor in ensuring the successful internationalization of Chinese nuclear technology would be public relations, to ensure its safety and quality messages are fully understood by the particular governments and communities involved.

Pan Ziqiang, a nuclear expert and an academician, said that passing the review means the Hualong One has been internationally recognized as having achieved the world's highest nuclear safety standards.

"The move is a milestone, and clearly it will help Chinese nuclear power companies to export their own nuclear technology, secured under independent intellectual property rights," he said.

However, he said passing the review is only a preliminary stage, and it is likely to take at least another five years for the construction of the first nuclear plant, referring to the reactors in Fuqing.

"Various countries have diffident nuclear plant regulation, supervision and control, so we still need to get approval from other nuclear export markets," Pan said.

Did i say otherwise?? If you calm down and read my comment properly you will realize that all what i said, is merely what you keep posting in your articles. lol

I said Chinese locally designed nuclear reactor are fairly new and not yet commercialized/operational on a large scale like other leading civil nuclear power manufacturing countries like France, U.S, Japan or even Russia. Your Hualong One has just been finalized and approved fairly recently. Its still just about to begin construction. Reason i said we will adopt a wait and see attitude like most countries. After all,do you believe even China will agree to let another country who just completed the designs of a new product and is yet to be operational, you think China will allow that country to come and build such a product in its own country and award it multi billion dollar contract?? No it wont.

So as i said, China will first need to build it, run it and with time buyers will come flocking. Just like your high speed railways, in the beginning when China was importing tech/awarding contracts to foreign players like Japan,Germany, Canada,France etc No country was looking towards China for high speed railway, but when China learned from these countries and started building/designing its own high speed railways/trainsets and running it for a while, its only now that Countries are now paying close attention to this and awarding you contracts. Same is the case with almost everything..Its only when a product/equipment starts running after a while that we can judge how reliable/efficient/safe it is. Even France despite being one of the worlds most advanced civil manufacturing nuclear power(if not the most advanced) still encounters some issues with its newest nuclear reactors lately. So its by running them for a while that you will find problems and fine tune them while learning from them.

So you will have to build and run them first for a while before it can be considered by other western countries. Normal process every new product follows to be honest..

Last edited:
Man, I don't think I'd fit into academia here. I feel wierded out by alot of the PHDs who take themselves very seriously (in all fields). I don't take myself that seriously. I don't pretend that the stuff I make here will break Moore's law or solve the renewable energy problem, but it is interesting, allows me to play with some toys and incrementally moves in those steps. There are literally people here who think that they're gonna cure cancer or something. I think I am too easygoing and intolerant of injustices to survive as an academic scientist, which requires the opposite: taking yourself very seriously and being very tolerant of injustices against you. Basically I talk too much, joke too much and make too many small mistakes.

Dude, why do you think i got the heck out of academia as soon as i passed my oral defense? I have friends who are assistant professors (tenure track) in Rutgers, UMASS, Rowan, Loyola, and one in Penn State. These were in my cohort, mind you. As a 1st year Assistant Professor in Psychology or Developmental Neuroscience --- they're probably making $55k - $60k a year. But then you have to do research and publish enough papers before the end of the tenure program or else you will get booted out. And trust me i've had some former instructors who were in tenure program and were denied tenure just because they didnt' publish "enough" , seriously WTF. For me that's no job security and as if the job was paying a lot anyways.

From my vantage point, your focus --- Chemistry / Physics is great , seriously you're going to be so marketable especially when you get that Ph.D. There's just so much opportunity for you guys in the STEM field in industry. If you're on the cusp of finishing your dissertation, I would start contact professional job hunters or you can do manual searches. This is what i used :
Phd Jobs - Management Job Search

Anyways, yea start looking now. Btw, it seems that you might like to teach since your TAing right now. You can still do that , you can teach adjunct, or heck even teach online , theyre paying online instructors $3500 per class they teach online (i think its like $1200 per credit; so if you're teaching a 3 credit class --- its $3600, but if you're teaching a 4 credit class ...thats $4800). Mind you you can teach 2 online classes simultaneously and still work full time as a consultant. Your online teaching assignment will just be your "gas money" LOL.

Btw, ever think about looking for employment in east coast? Mass, RI, NYC, NJ, PA, VA, Delaware --- they've a lot of job opportunities here. That or you could always try Chicago , but its mostly saturated over there tho.

I hate staying up late,except playing computer games...
I usually drop my homework and go for playing...And my yesterday homework hasnt been finished...

I don't think most people have any strong views about China one way or the other.

Back
Top Bottom