What's new

What British people think about China

This is why if you go to the West or even in other parts of the world; most Japanese or Chinese or Korean immigrants there, for the most part that is, follow the rules, are productive members of society, and encourage and teach their offspring to maintain that excellence. We encourage our kids to study hard, to attain good grades, participate in pro-educative extra curricular activities such as joining the marching band, piano or guitar clubs, joining science clubs, and to practice mind and body health by going to martial arts classes as it helps release the poisons of daily life and routine.
I agree with you 100%, i have hardly ever seen a Chinese/Korean/Japanese/immigrant here causing Trouble. To be honest I HAVE NEVER SEEN IT EVEN ONCE. They always abide by rules and respect laws for the most part while hardly ever complaining no matter the situation/laws. Now compare this with the Islamo and to some extent Africans. I don't want to sound cliché/generalizing but its the truth.:agree:

I agree with you 100%, i have hardly ever seen a Chinese/Korean/Japanese/immigrant here causing Trouble. To be honest I HAVE NEVER SEEN IT EVEN ONCE. They always abide by rules and respect laws for the most part while hardly ever complaining no matter the situation/laws. Now compare this with the Islamo and to some extent Africans. I don't want to sound cliché/generalizing but its the truth.:agree:

I don't have any experience with problems with Middle Eastern / African immigrants. In fact most of my friends here at work and at the university i teach at are South Asian (Pakistani, Indian) and no problems with them. In fact i get along more with Indian and Pakistani colleagues because they are a fun bunch to work with -- very helpful in research, helpful when you need advice or resource questions, and plus, when it comes to lunch time --- they share their food LOL!

The point is, Michael, there are outliers for any groups of people. I'm sure that the majority of British citizens who may practice Islam or may come from the Middle East follow the rules of the law. There are of course examples of those that do not and condone violence, but they should not be used go generalize. We have to also understand that the developmental issues in the Middle East and that the war torn element has and may affect their psychology. We can't underestimate the effects of stress on personality, and social dynamic.

Anyways, that's my 2 shillings. Or do you guys use pennies (pence) ? lol

If you still have doubt about China's nuke plant technology and project commissioning, read this report:

Why does the UK need China to build its nuclear plants?
By Camila RuzBBC News Magazine
  • 25 September 2015
  • From the sectionMagazine
_85701082_hinkleypoint_gettyimages.jpg

London's Underground languages
The UK's Hinkley Point nuclear power station has major backing from China. But why does the government need their help?

It will be the first nuclear plant in the UK for 20 years. Hinkley Point C in Somerset is expected to provide up to 7% of the UK's electricity needs and create thousands of jobs.

The project by French energy company EDF is going to be partly backed by China through a £2bn deal that the government has said it will guarantee.

Chancellor George Osborne has said that will allow "unprecedented co-operation" on the construction of more nuclear plants. There are already reports that a Chinese-designed nuclear reactor could be built in Essex.

But the UK used to be a leader in the nuclear energy industry. It opened the world's first civil nuclear reactor in the 1950s. So why does a country with so much experience now need help from abroad?

"Nuclear power plants are astonishingly expensive," says Stephen Thomas, energy policy expert and a retired professor from the University of Greenwich Business School.

_85720834_uk_nuclear_sites_624.png

Constructing a large nuclear reactor takes thousands of workers and needs a huge number of components and materials. The site needs to be prepared beforehand and a whole host of systems put in place from cooling to back-up safety mechanisms.

The cost of construction alone at Hinkley Point is estimated at a massive £24bn. Few private companies are able to afford that kind of money.

It's also difficult to put a price tag on projects because of the uncertainties in how long construction will take, explains David Toke, energy politics reader at the University of Aberdeen. "You don't really know what the costs are going to be before you start building," he says.

There are also technology risks. "Most of the time it doesn't get built on time, it doesn't get built to cost and it doesn't always work as well as it should do," explains Thomas.

Hinkley in particular is going to use a reactor design that has raised a few eyebrows among its critics. It will use European Pressurised Reactors (EPR). "The two [plants] of this design that are being built in Europe are badly behind schedule and over budget," says Richard Green, professor of sustainable energy business at Imperial College London.

The new nuclear plant
£24.5bn

estimated cost of new nuclear plant at Hinkley Point

• 19% UK's electricity needs currently supplied by nuclear power

• 7% of Britain's electricity needs will be supplied by new Hinkley plant from 2023

• £2bn sum guaranteed by the UK for the new plant
BBC News/NIA
Getty images
The reactor has also run into problems with safety regulators in France after a flaw was found in the steel housing the reactor core.

These issues are not reassuring for a potential investor or for a bank considering a loan to a developer.

Some people argue that the government could avoid this by investing straight into Hinkley, using its ability to borrow long-term funds at a low rate. "I believe that if the UK government has confidence in the project it could and should invest directly - it would be cheaper to do that than paying to borrow money from the Chinese," argues Nick Butler, an economist and visiting professor at Kings College London.

But the UK is unlikely to want to be seen to be borrowing vast sums of money, says Green. Involving the private sector avoids the risk of the government having to pay a big sum up-front. It's a similar logic to that behind Private Finance Initiatives (PFI). A PFI is a way of funding a large public infrastructure project such as a new hospital through private sector companies who will build it, operate it and then lease it back.

The government makes PFI repayments over a long period of time and the debt does not become part of the deficit balance sheet. "The British government is determined to get the deficit down," argues Stephen Tindale, director of the Alvin Weinberg Foundation that campaigns for next-generation nuclear reactors. "The politics of deficit reduction and the government's failure to distinguish between capital investment and ongoing expenditure means that they have not taken this route."

_85705460_hinkleypoint1961gettyimages.jpg

Image captionControl nozzles on Hinkley Point A nuclear power station, now retired, photographed in 1961
But Green argues that a reluctance to invest directly in the Hinkley project could be a legacy of past problems. "The state did in many ways make quite a mess of running things through the 60s and 70s," he says.

The government says that it's sensible to attract foreign investors because it avoids committing billions of taxpayers money into the power stations, allowing it to be used elsewhere. "Money I would otherwise be able to spend on the health service or the education system or indeed give lower taxes to people," said Osborne.

The UK has turned to state-backed foreign companies such as EDF to fund the next generation of nuclear plants. But even EDF cannot afford the full costs of a project as big as Hinkley Point C.

As the world's biggest builder of nuclear power stations, Chinese state-owned companies are obvious candidates. The country currently operates 24 nuclear reactors with a further 25 under construction.

A deal with the UK could work well for China, explains Thomas, because the country wants to export its nuclear technology to the West. A mostly Chinese-owned plant in Bradwell would be a juicy incentive.

"If their design is good enough for Britain, and passes the British regulators' requirements, that would be a huge marketing coup for them," he says.

_85702239_guanguan_gettyimages.jpg

Chinese investment in UK nuclear power stations would also bring expertise with it.China has a track record of delivering power plants on budget and on time. The Chinese nuclear industry has a lot of skills that would be of use to the UK, explains Peter Haslam, Head of Policy at the Nuclear Industry Association.

"We would expect parts of the UK supply chain to be heavily involved in future Chinese projects," he says, adding that a "partnership" with China makes sense in a nuclear market that has become truly international.

A desire to become a good friend to the world's second biggest economy might also be playing a role. Osborne has not made it much of a secret. "My message is clear," he said this week. "Britain and China - we'll stick together."

Subscribe to the BBC News Magazine's email newsletter to get articles sent to your inbox.

If you still have doubt about China's nuke plant technology and project commissioning, read this report:

• 25 September 2015

The UK's Hinkley Point nuclear power station has major backing from China. But why does the government need their help?

It will be the first nuclear plant in the UK for 20 years. Hinkley Point C in Somerset is expected to provide up to 7% of the UK's electricity needs and create thousands of jobs.

The project by French energy company EDF is going to be partly backed by China through a £2bn deal that the government has said it will guarantee.

Chancellor George Osborne has said that will allow "unprecedented co-operation" on the construction of more nuclear plants. There are already reports that a Chinese-designed nuclear reactor could be built in Essex.

But the UK used to be a leader in the nuclear energy industry. It opened the world's first civil nuclear reactor in the 1950s. So why does a country with so much experience now need help from abroad?

"Nuclear power plants are astonishingly expensive," says Stephen Thomas, energy policy expert and a retired professor from the University of Greenwich Business School.

Constructing a large nuclear reactor takes thousands of workers and needs a huge number of components and materials. The site needs to be prepared beforehand and a whole host of systems put in place from cooling to back-up safety mechanisms.

The cost of construction alone at Hinkley Point is estimated at a massive £24bn. Few private companies are able to afford that kind of money.

It's also difficult to put a price tag on projects because of the uncertainties in how long construction will take, explains David Toke, energy politics reader at the University of Aberdeen. "You don't really know what the costs are going to be before you start building," he says.

There are also technology risks. "Most of the time it doesn't get built on time, it doesn't get built to cost and it doesn't always work as well as it should do," explains Thomas.

Hinkley in particular is going to use a reactor design that has raised a few eyebrows among its critics. It will use European Pressurised Reactors (EPR). "The two [plants] of this design that are being built in Europe are badly behind schedule and over budget," says Richard Green, professor of sustainable energy business at Imperial College London.

The new nuclear plant
£24.5bn

• 7% of Britain's electricity needs will be supplied by new Hinkley plant from 2023

BBC News/NIA
Getty images
The reactor has also run into problems with safety regulators in France after a flaw was found in the steel housing the reactor core.

These issues are not reassuring for a potential investor or for a bank considering a loan to a developer.

Some people argue that the government could avoid this by investing straight into Hinkley, using its ability to borrow long-term funds at a low rate. "I believe that if the UK government has confidence in the project it could and should invest directly - it would be cheaper to do that than paying to borrow money from the Chinese," argues Nick Butler, an economist and visiting professor at Kings College London.

But the UK is unlikely to want to be seen to be borrowing vast sums of money, says Green. Involving the private sector avoids the risk of the government having to pay a big sum up-front. It's a similar logic to that behind Private Finance Initiatives (PFI). A PFI is a way of funding a large public infrastructure project such as a new hospital through private sector companies who will build it, operate it and then lease it back.

The government makes PFI repayments over a long period of time and the debt does not become part of the deficit balance sheet. "The British government is determined to get the deficit down," argues Stephen Tindale, director of the Alvin Weinberg Foundation that campaigns for next-generation nuclear reactors. "The politics of deficit reduction and the government's failure to distinguish between capital investment and ongoing expenditure means that they have not taken this route."

Image captionControl nozzles on Hinkley Point A nuclear power station, now retired, photographed in 1961
But Green argues that a reluctance to invest directly in the Hinkley project could be a legacy of past problems. "The state did in many ways make quite a mess of running things through the 60s and 70s," he says.

The government says that it's sensible to attract foreign investors because it avoids committing billions of taxpayers money into the power stations, allowing it to be used elsewhere. "Money I would otherwise be able to spend on the health service or the education system or indeed give lower taxes to people," said Osborne.

The UK has turned to state-backed foreign companies such as EDF to fund the next generation of nuclear plants. But even EDF cannot afford the full costs of a project as big as Hinkley Point C.

As the world's biggest builder of nuclear power stations, Chinese state-owned companies are obvious candidates. The country currently operates 24 nuclear reactors with a further 25 under construction.

A deal with the UK could work well for China, explains Thomas, because the country wants to export its nuclear technology to the West. A mostly Chinese-owned plant in Bradwell would be a juicy incentive.

"If their design is good enough for Britain, and passes the British regulators' requirements, that would be a huge marketing coup for them," he says.

Chinese investment in UK nuclear power stations would also bring expertise with it.China has a track record of delivering power plants on budget and on time. The Chinese nuclear industry has a lot of skills that would be of use to the UK, explains Peter Haslam, Head of Policy at the Nuclear Industry Association.

"We would expect parts of the UK supply chain to be heavily involved in future Chinese projects," he says, adding that a "partnership" with China makes sense in a nuclear market that has become truly international.

A desire to become a good friend to the world's second biggest economy might also be playing a role. Osborne has not made it much of a secret. "My message is clear," he said this week. "Britain and China - we'll stick together."

Subscribe to the BBC News Magazine's email newsletter to get articles sent to your inbox.

I support this paradigm. Sino-British collaboration on renewable energy is a must for British energy independence, at the same time, it supports Chinese goals to broaden her relations with the west. I suppose, a graduation of integrative processes that the WTO and APEC have helped to facilitate. Either case, this is a win win for both the British and Chinese. A win win for the west, a win win for Asia. Let's agree to that.

All for the paper, bro. Paper for candy. ;)

lol

Japanese are considered extreme in China. There's extreme workaholics, and there's also the Japanese guys who drop out of society (NEETers) and just play games and watch anime all day.

Japanese are considered extreme in China. There's extreme workaholics, and there's also the Japanese guys who drop out of society (NEETers) and just play games and watch anime all day.

Not really, tho. Probably in Japan you will see that they are more 'extreme' because everyone in Japan is competing with the next guy over. An American coming to Japan seeing that will of course automatically compare to how its like in America. But you will see that Japanese , like our fellow East Asians the Chinese and Koreans --- tend to adapt to the new environment. Japanese expats living in Shanghai -- you will see -- will even start adopting social etiquette and practices in Shanghai (@Shotgunner51 -- dont you think?) . Same goes for Japanese who live in say the US. We'll start going to the bars with our American buddies, start doing the 'cultural' thing like going out to watch Phillies games or Eagles games lol. And start getting pissed and shouting when the Eagles lost to the gawdamm Redskins last week 23-20 :devil::devil::devil::mad: --- all with a bottle of yuengling in one hand and with buddies around.

Come on man, we're not robots. LOL

To be honest, the first year in my stay in the USA, i was competitive. Then i realize folks here aren't that 'competitive' so i learned to relax a bit. One of my content advisers used to always say to me, "Kenji, don't fuss over my comments on your paper. Just revise it, don't stress over it." LOL. Stress .. yea, that's what i used to do. I would 'stress' over the smallest comment. Taking it to heart. I think that's the thing we Japanese need to learn from Americans or the west --- learning to take criticism lightly and not too personally. Sometimes, criticism is taken as a personal offense or translated the wrong way as 'unacceptance'. It isn't.

In that regard, I suppose Japan needs, overall, to take a necessary revision of learning how to not 'stress' so much. In tat regards, we have much to learn from the West.

You should know one thing about us Japanese --- we are VERY, VERY, VERY sensitive bunch. Weird, lol.

We are not shying ourselves away from getting immense ToT from France and US but the latest development is we are becoming completely independent and innovative in pursuing our own (and overseas) nuclear plant projects:

China's Nuclear Boom

08/25/2015
By Sharryn Dotson
Editor of Nuclear Power International
0.gif

Nuclear power in Asia is hit or miss. Reactors in Japan are crawling to begin restart procedures for all but two of their shut down nuclear power plants, while others are building reactors at record speed. Even more countries want to supply reactor technology or other products and services to establish international ties or help keep their business afloat as their home countries delay or end any nuclear ambitions.

Asia is a land that is quickly growing population-wise, and the rate it is building nuclear power plants is running the same. The OECD Asia region is expected to have a population of 204 million in 2015, and 203 million by 2020, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)'s International Energy Outlook 2014. Of that total, Japan is expected to have a population of 125 million by 2020, down 1.5 percent from 2015. South Korea's population is expected to even out at 49 million, according to the EIA's data. In non-OECD countries, population is expected to increase from 3.8 billion in 2015 to 4 billion by 2020. China will account for 1.38 billion of that in 2015 and 1.41 billion in 2020. India's is 1.3 billion in 2015 and 1.38 billion over the next five years.

The nuclear plants will help the region to keep up with an expected explosion in electricity demand. According to GenerationHub, China is expected to surpass the U.S. as a nuclear power generating leader within the next quarter century.

Hongyanhe.jpg

Construction was recently completed on the Hongyanhe 6 nuclear unit.

"We don't lead any longer in new construction - China does," said Verdigris Capital Principal Andrew Paterson during the Nuclear Infrastructure Council Summit July 21 in Washington, D.C. "Fukushima does not seem to have delayed the renaissance in Asia."

The country plans to increase its nuclear capacity from 23 GW to 58 GW by 2020, with an additional 30 GW under construction, according to data from the World Nuclear Association (WNA). The government hopes to have 15 percent of overall energy consumption from from non-fossil fuel sources by 2020, and 20 percent by 2030, according to data from the EIA.

Why is it that China has not let Fukushima affect it as much as other countries have? We take a look at how China is using nuclear to help ease growing pains and make cuts to emission levels.

The government budgeted $600 billion to upgrade its power grid, according to the WNA. The International Nuclear Energy Association (IAEA) says nuclear contributed 2.4 percent of the total production in 2014, or 123.8 billion kWh. China led the U.S. in total net electricity generation in 2012 with 4.8 billion kilowatt-hours of generation, according to data from the EIA. That was up from 4.5 billion kWh in 2011.

China has also had success in building an indigenous nuclear program starting with the development and deployment of its 1,400-MW CAP1400 pressurized water reactor (PWR) designed by the State Nuclear Power Technology Corp. (SNPTC) and Shanghai Nuclear Engineering Research and Design Institute (SNERDI). The reactor is based on the design of Westinghouse's 1,100-MW AP1000 two-loop pressurized water reactor (PWR), which the SNPTC made the main basis of technology development in China. There are two new builds in China that are also using the AP1000 design: The dual-unit Sanmen and the six-unit Haiyang nuclear projects. CNEA estimated in May 2013 that the construction cost for two AP1000 units at Sanmen are CNY 40.1 billion ($6.54 billion), or 16,000 Yuan/kW installed ($2,615/kW), instead of CNY 32.4 billion earlier estimated. The price tag is expected to decrease to about CNY 13,000/kW as more construction and localization is achieved.

Based off the Westinghouse AP1000 design is the China Advanced Passive 1400 (CAP1400) technology, an advanced pressurized water reactor (APWR). There are two currently under construction at the Shidaowan 1 & 2 plant site.

China General Nuclear designed the 1,080-MW ACPR1000 reactor, which recently broke ground at the Hongyanhe 6 project site. The unit had to undergo additional safety checks and licensing after the March 2011 Fukushima accident. CGN received the approval from the National Development and Reform Commission on March 10 to build units 5 & 6, according to WNA. SNPTC, in addition to designing the CAP1400, started the pre-study of the CAP1700 reactor.

Agreements between SNPTC and Westinghouse say that SNPTC would own all intellectual property rights for any derivatives over 1,350 MW, WNA said. SNPEC is performing the engineering with a team from SNERDI, the Shandong Electric Power Engineering Consulting Institute, and the State Nuclear Power Equipment Manufacturing Co.

Prior to 2008, the government had planned to increase nuclear generating capacity to 40 GW by 2020 (out of a total 1000 GW planned), with a further 18 GW nuclear being under construction then, according to WNA. After the Fukushima accident, and due to increased projections for nuclear power, the State Council in October 2012 set the target for 60 GW by 2020, with 30 GW under construction.

taishan.jpg

The first of two reactors at the Taishan power project are expected to be completed by year-end.
By around 2040, installation of PWRs is expected to level off at 200 GW and fast reactors progressively increase from 2020 to at least 200 GW by 2050 and 1400 GW by 2100, WNA said.

The National Nuclear Safety Administration (NNSA) under the China Atomic Energy Authority (CAEA) is the licensing and regulatory body that also maintains international agreements regarding safety. It reports to the State Council directly. In relation to the AP1000, NNSA works closely with the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, said the WNA.

NNSA is responsible for licensing all nuclear reactors and other facilities, safety inspections and reviews of them, operational regulations, licensing transport of nuclear materials, waste management, and radiation protection. It is responsible for environment impact assessment of nuclear projects. The licensing approval process starts at the approval of siting, then the construction permit, which is usually issued 12 months before the first concrete is poured. Next is the permit for fuel loading, then approval and issuance of the operating license.

Though China has obviously pushed forward with new builds, the Fukushima accident did slow down progress for a bit. The State Council announced five days after the March 11, 2011 accident that it would suspend approvals for new nuclear plants and begin safety checks of both operational and planned nuclear plants. The council also suspended work on four approved units due to start construction the same year. Two of those projects-Fuqing 4 and Yangjiang 4-began construction in late 2012. WNA data says inspections of the operating plants took three months, and inspections of planned units were completed by October.

China has also taken major steps in achieving high safety standards. China has hosted 12 Operational Safety Review Team missions from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to October 2011, and each power plant has had one external safety review every year through OSART, the World Association of Nuclear Operators (WANO) peer review, and peer reviews from the Canadian National Energy Alliance in partnership with the Research Institute for Nuclear Power Operations, according to WNA. The NNSA is also part of the ASEAN+3 Forum on Nuclear Safety.

Nuclear work in China does not appear to be slowing anytime soon, especially with a growing supply chain and aggressive plans for more power generation in the nation. The country is open for business, and other nations are looking to partner on projects. It's no wonder that publications and industry groups have said China is a leader when it comes to building new reactors.

China's Nuclear Boom - Power Engineering

China's indigenous nuclear reactor ACP1000 wins IAEA approval

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/017c9a88-e8c2-11e4-b7e8-00144feab7de.html

Not really, tho. Probably in Japan you will see that they are more 'extreme' because everyone in Japan is competing with the next guy over. An American coming to Japan seeing that will of course automatically compare to how its like in America. But you will see that Japanese , like our fellow East Asians the Chinese and Koreans --- tend to adapt to the new environment. Japanese expats living in Shanghai -- you will see -- will even start adopting social etiquette and practices in Shanghai (@Shotgunner51 -- dont you think?) . Same goes for Japanese who live in say the US. We'll start going to the bars with our American buddies, start doing the 'cultural' thing like going out to watch Phillies games or Eagles games lol. And start getting pissed and shouting when the Eagles lost to the gawdamm Redskins last week 23-20 :devil::devil::devil::mad: --- all with a bottle of yuengling in one hand and with buddies around.

Come on man, we're not robots. LOL

It's the opposite. Chinese don't really adapt; that is why there are Chinatowns and Chinese tend to live with other Chinese in the US. Koreans are even more stubborn. Japanese are very insular in Japan but once outside of Japan, are very openminded.

It's the opposite. Chinese don't really adapt; that is why there are Chinatowns and Chinese tend to live with other Chinese in the US. Koreans are even more stubborn. Japanese are very insular in Japan but once outside of Japan, are very openminded.

Chinese are actually very perfectionist , from my experience in dealing with Chinese Ph.D candidates in my department as well as in the Science and Engineering Departments. Ever gone to a molecular biology lab at Rutgers university or any other major univeristy in the US? You'll see Chinese post-docs staying in lab doing work till 2-3 am . Some even sleep in their offices. Theyll bring an air mattress in their office. Work in lab for 5 hours, go to the office and do power nap for 3-4 hours, make a cup of noodles, drink coffee, go back to work.

You know how its like. You're a Chem/Engineering Ph.D.

Chinese are actually very perfectionist , from my experience in dealing with Chinese Ph.D candidates in my department as well as in the Science and Engineering Departments. Ever gone to a molecular biology lab at Rutgers university or any other major univeristy in the US? You'll see Chinese post-docs staying in lab doing work till 2-3 am . Some even sleep in their offices. Theyll bring an air mattress in their office. Work in lab for 5 hours, go to the office and do power nap for 3-4 hours, make a cup of noodles, drink coffee, go back to work.

You know how its like. You're a Chem/Engineering Ph.D.

I work only 4 days a week on my research.

The reason is, I have to T.A. the rest of the time.

I have a strict schedule: absolutely no work on the weekends. Health is #1. Absolutely no staying over 10 PM in the lab. Sanity is #1. However, other than that, I frequently pull hours from 8 AM to 9 PM monday-Friday.

Luckily, since I work in semiconductor physics/chemistry, the experiments are semi-automated or take a short amount of time. The big time sinks are 1.) fabricating the samples and 2.) literature review and simulation. Literature review in particular is incredibly hard.

Biology is different. They don't get to pick their schedules since the animals/cells/plants don't behave as well as a silicon chip.

• 25 September 2015

The new nuclear plant
£24.5bn

BBC News/NIA
Getty images

This article again merely confirms what i said. France is the one building the reactors leading the Project. China is merely providing capital/financing the project for now, since our foolish government will rather spend money on welfare/healthcare and social programs for the public(who are always complaining about such stuffs.)

As i said, China's own design nuclear power plants need time to mature, since even in China itself, how many Chinese design and built nuclear power plants are in operation? Very few, the only ones i red about are still under construction, hence they are not proven/mature as of yet. Reason why even Britain who is the most liberal/open/broad minded country in the West/Europe hasn't opted to go with a Chinese design nuclear reactor as of now. Maybe in the coming decades when your own technology is mature/proven enough then yes. But as of now we wont go for Chinese designs until they are proven.mature enough. If it was then we will definitely go for it, since we have no issues/conflict of interests with China.:cheers:

I work only 4 days a week on my research.

The reason is, I have to T.A. the rest of the time.

I have a strict schedule: absolutely no work on the weekends. Health is #1. Absolutely no staying over 10 PM in the lab. Sanity is #1. However, other than that, I frequently pull hours from 8 AM to 9 PM monday-Friday.

Luckily, since I work in semiconductor physics/chemistry, the experiments are semi-automated or take a short amount of time. The big time sinks are 1.) fabricating the samples and 2.) literature review and simulation. Literature review in particular is incredibly hard.

Biology is different. They don't get to pick their schedules since the animals/cells/plants don't behave as well as a silicon chip.

A well balanced diet as some will say.:enjoy:

Nice one:tup:, its always good to maintain a balance though, too much of anything is never good.:sick:

I frequently pull hours from 8 AM to 9 PM monday-Friday.

Bro, you basically work 60 hours a week. You're a , pardon my french, a friggin machine. Mine is not that bad, actually.

Mondays to Friday I do consulting work for a company here in NJ from 12pm till 4pm. On Tuesdays and Thursdays i teach a class from 4:30 pm to 7:30 pm at Rutgers University. On Fridays (for this semester) im also doing a freshman seminar course on the mornings from 8am till 12 noon. The good thing about my industry work is that i can do mobile consulting, usually pertains me to get on web conferencing and i can do this at my office at university. Or even at home.

I get paid 6 figs doing risk consulting and teach on the side. Definitley understand how you feel about the TAing. I used to do that and i used to do those crazy hours getting paid peanuts and depending on grants and having to help the research chair do grant writing. slave work cr@p.

I recommend you to get work in industry after you finish your Ph.D. You can always adjunct teaching like what i do. But full time work in academia? Doesn't pay nearly enough as industry. And btw, if i remember it correctly you said you are in chemistry right? And were in engineering prior? You know chemical analysts get paid MAD DOUGH. I have a friend who is a developmental chemist who works for Johnson & Johnson --- they're starting $120k.

Consider it. Go to patents sector bro. You'll be starting $140-$150k. at least.

geography-smallemployer.png

literature review and simulation. Literature review in particular is incredibly hard.

Literature review and methodology review.

This article again merely confirms what i said. France is the one building the reactors leading the Project. China is merely providing capital/financing the project for now, since our foolish government will rather spend money on welfare/healthcare and social programs for the public(who are always complaining about such stuffs.)

No !

The article per BBC proved you are wrong as you said
:

China isnt building any nuclear reactor in U.K, its France that's building one, China is manly providing the finance/capital for this project,while France leads the project, since the technology/expertise/experience needed is held by france. China itself got(and is still getting) its own nuclear reactor tech from France/U.S/Japan. The one you are building on your own is either derived from these countries imput or not yet mature yet. So how can we let you build one here meanwhile there are much experienced players like France/Japan/U.S or even Russia who all have decades of experience/skill and mature tech doing this. So it will be years/decades before China can be allowed to build a nuclear reactor in any western country on its own tech/designs. Need alot of time to mature, since Nuclear technology is a sensitive fi

and the BBC stated clearly in bold fonts below:

• 25 September 2015

Chancellor George Osborne has said that will allow "unprecedented co-operation" on the construction of more nuclear plants. There are already reports that a Chinese-designed nuclear reactor could be built in Essex

The new nuclear plant
£24.5bn

BBC News/NIA
Getty images

Chinese investment in UK nuclear power stations would also bring expertise with it. China has a track record of delivering power plants on budget and on time. The Chinese nuclear industry has a lot of skills that would be of use to the UK, explains Peter Haslam, Head of Policy at the Nuclear Industry Association.

Do you have a comprehension problem?

Bro, you basically work 60 hours a week. You're a , pardon my french, a friggin machine. Mine is not that bad, actually.

Mondays to Friday I do consulting work for a company here in NJ from 12pm till 4pm. On Tuesdays and Thursdays i teach a class from 4:30 pm to 7:30 pm at Rutgers University. On Fridays (for this semester) im also doing a freshman seminar course on the mornings from 8am till 12 noon. The good thing about my industry work is that i can do mobile consulting, usually pertains me to get on web conferencing and i can do this at my office at university. Or even at home.

I get paid 6 figs doing risk consulting and teach on the side. Definitley understand how you feel about the TAing. I used to do that and i used to do those crazy hours getting paid peanuts and depending on grants and having to help the research chair do grant writing. slave work cr@p.

I recommend you to get work in industry after you finish your Ph.D. You can always adjunct teaching like what i do. But full time work in academia? Doesn't pay nearly enough as industry. And btw, if i remember it correctly you said you are in chemistry right? And were in engineering prior? You know chemical analysts get paid MAD DOUGH. I have a friend who is a developmental chemist who works for Johnson & Johnson --- they're starting $120k.

Consider it. Go to patents sector bro. You'll be starting $140-$150k. at least.

geography-smallemployer.png

Literature review and methodology review.

My PHD degree is in a chemical physics program. My previous degree was in physics (which is not engineering). However, semiconductors is very interdisciplinary between physics, chemistry and engineering. I work on the physics/chemistry side: I investigate the properties of molecular electronics and organic semiconductors. I only make simple devices (transistors, pn junctions, a small scale solar cell) as proof of concept, test for device-specific properties or to show an interesting physical phenomena involving a new molecule or new device architecture. Engineers don't give a f* about experimental device architectures or new physical phenomena involving new molecules; on the contrary, the closer something is to something that already exists, the more the engineers like it, because it's a proven technology. General rule: if it involves mostly silicon and silicon oxides, engineers love it. Otherwise, if it involves exotic semiconductors like organics, defective oxides, etc. then physicists/chemists love it. A few molecule thick gate dielectric with a few molecule thick channel, interesting because it proves a point? Useless to them because it actually sucks as a transistor (for now), never mind the fact that the gate dielectric is a few molecules thick!

I am also expressedly forbidden to take outside jobs.

My PHD degree is in a chemical physics program. My previous degree was in physics (which is not engineering). However, semiconductors is very interdisciplinary between physics, chemistry and engineering. I work on the physics/chemistry side: I investigate the properties of molecular electronics and organic semiconductors. I only make simple devices (transistors, pn junctions, a small scale solar cell) as proof of concept, test for device-specific properties or to show an interesting physical phenomena involving a new molecule or new device architecture. Engineers don't give a f* about experimental device architectures or new physical phenomena involving new molecules; on the contrary, the closer something is to something that already exists, the more the engineers like it, because it's a proven technology. A few molecule thick gate dielectric with a few molecule thick channel, interesting because it proves a point? Useless to them because it sucks as a transistor, never mind the fact that the gate dielectric is a few molecules thick!

What an impressive curriculum vitae , my friend, so next time if i ever have any questions regarding chemistry and physics, will make sure to tag you for your academic / professional input. Btw, i couldn't help but smile as i read your post, i can almost decipher your way of talking and your personality from your post. You sound very much like my one friend (he's a Ph.D in pharmacology btw, Chinese, and works as a developmental chemist for a company near New Brunswick). On our regular meet ups at the speakeasys in Philadelphia (close to Rittenhouse square), whenever we unwind , he always starts conversations with his day on research and how his managers piss him off, and goes on how research developmental pharmacologist are ones paving the way to new drugs by changing the nucleotides in new generations of cephalosporins as a way to bypass the microbial beta-lactamases. LOL. He refers to pharmacists (Pharm.Ds) as 'sell outs' , LOL.

Anyways, good to know your background. Good to see we have some academians in this forum. Perhaps we can talk more in the members section or the science and tech section of PDF. Where is not so politically 'toxic' as in this section.

Anyways, LOL. See you later, Mr. Alpha.

Back
Top Bottom