beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
Western media spreading lies about CPEC: Chinese envoy
Published: October 5, 2019

2072569-cpecx-1570223045-678-640x480.jpg

KARACHI: Chinese envoy Yu Jing on Friday said the Western media was creating a false narrative that his country wanted to achieve military or strategic designs in Pakistan through the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC).

“The Western media is spreading lies that China wants to colonise Pakistan. This is totally baseless and wrong,” the Chinese ambassador to Pakistan said at a dialogue on CPEC hosted by the Karachi Council on Foreign Relations (KCFR).

“CPEC is the essence of the bilateral long-term relationship between China and Pakistan. It will develop infrastructure in Pakistan,” he added.

“CPEC is not going to guarantee a complete turnaround in the economy of Pakistan, but it is a small part of it. China is making a huge investment on a partnership basis. We are helping Pakistan in various sectors including education, agriculture, social development, technology transfer, etc.”

The Chinese envoy said CPEC would not only connect China with Gwadar but also lead to Afghanistan and Central Asia. “We are trying hard to make this world a better place. Gwadar is an emerging port of Pakistan which has been a long-awaited dream for Pakistanis and their government,” he noted.

The ambassador said China was waiting for the Pakistani government’s free-zone policy, after which it would launch 19 projects in Gwadar alone.

“China is spending $40 million annually to keep Gwadar port functional as it has now started commercial operations as well. We send a commercial vessel every week to Gwadar port. In the next phase of the second Free Trade Agreement, we will establish manufacturing units of agriculture, seafood and other industries and that will also create jobs.”

Yu shared that the biggest issues of Gwadar were electricity and freshwater. “China will install a power plant of 300MW and a desalination plant with a capacity of 5,000 tonnes. We are also constructing a 200-bed hospital, education and vocational centres and a new international airport in Gwadar. Work on these projects will start from the end of this year,” he added.

We are also considering a transit trade for Gwadar port. Chinese companies will invest $10 million in the fisheries sector alone and install seafood processing plants. We will purchase seafood from fishermen. It will also boost the local fisheries industry.”

The ambassador said China would stand by Pakistan for the resolution of the Kashmir dispute. “We are also working for Kashmiris to help them get their fundamental rights and justice. There should be a justified solution to the issue of Kashmir and China will stand by Pakistan for regional peace and stability,” he reaffirmed.

Speaking on the occasion, KCFR Chairman Ikram Sehgal said that certain forces were unhappy over CPEC and trying to spread negative propaganda against it. “If they are so sincere with Pakistan, then why don’t they invest here?” he asked.

Later, Sehgal presented a KCFR crest to the Chinese ambassador.

KCFR General Secretary Commodore (Retd) Sadeed A Malik also spoke on the occasion.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/2072569/1-western-media-spreading-lies-cpec-chinese-envoy/

Pakistan is fortunate to have CPEC and Gwadar projects. This obviously doesnt mean we would become super power, but it will benefit our economy and people greatly, with jobs, trade, taxes etc.

Think about this dear Pakistanis. Would we be able to invest 60Billions in to Gwadar and CPEC in the next 30 years or so. The answer is NO. So be intelligent and accept this reality. I think Pakistan government should invest a few Billions USA dollars every year in to the cpec and Gwadar project, ask Turkey, Malaysia for investment, dont just let China invest and let it do all the work whilst we fold our arms and watch, generate some internal investment because we too have millionaires and billionaires, alot of our overseas Pakistanis are billionaires, make it easier and secure for them to invest, start a new company with army backing and let people buy shares to generate funds. So many options available but it seems our government and people are looking towards China to give them the full cake on a plate.

Chinese investment is badly needed, so unless the west is willing to invest billions of dollars in Pakistan, they can STFU.

Pakistan knows how to play the game, we played it with the US, Soviets, Indians, Afghans, etc. No road is going to cause us to loose our sovereignty.

Western media spreading lies about CPEC: Chinese envoy

KARACHI: Chinese envoy Yu Jing on Friday said the Western media was creating a false narrative that his country wanted to achieve military or strategic designs in Pakistan through the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC).

“The Western media is spreading lies that China wants to colonise Pakistan. This is totally baseless and wrong,” the Chinese ambassador to Pakistan said at a dialogue on CPEC hosted by the Karachi Council on Foreign Relations (KCFR).

“CPEC is the essence of the bilateral long-term relationship between China and Pakistan. It will develop infrastructure in Pakistan,” he added.

“CPEC is not going to guarantee a complete turnaround in the economy of Pakistan, but it is a small part of it. China is making a huge investment on a partnership basis. We are helping Pakistan in various sectors including education, agriculture, social development, technology transfer, etc.”

PM Imran to visit China next week amid Kashmir crisis

The Chinese envoy said CPEC would not only connect China with Gwadar but also lead to Afghanistan and Central Asia. “We are trying hard to make this world a better place. Gwadar is an emerging port of Pakistan which has been a long-awaited dream for Pakistanis and their government,” he noted.

The ambassador said China was waiting for the Pakistani government’s free-zone policy, after which it would launch 19 projects in Gwadar alone.

“China is spending $40 million annually to keep Gwadar port functional as it has now started commercial operations as well. We send a commercial vessel every week to Gwadar port. In the next phase of the second Free Trade Agreement, we will establish manufacturing units of agriculture, seafood and other industries and that will also create jobs.”

https://tribune.com.pk/story/2072569/1-western-media-spreading-lies-cpec-chinese-envoy/?amp=1

The question keeps rearing its ugly head time and time again. Western propaganda against China and particularly CPEC/OBOR keeps intensifying. If you read any Western media report on CPEC the headlines are negative and fuelled with conspiracies such as "debt trap", "colonisation", "military base" etc. Media reports from nations such as the US, Germany, France, The Netherlands and others continue to promote CPEC/OBOR in a bad light.

Why is the Western world with the US at the forefront opposed to CPEC and by extension the OBOR project? Keep in mind that the Western world has never invested or shown any intent to invest a large sum of money in Pakistan meant for the development of infrastructure projects. At most, Western aid has never even reached its intended recipients.

The Western world which does not share any stake in CPEC continues to bombard this undertaking with sheer negativity in their domestic media. Yet Pakistan and China, the two main beneficiaries and actors oppose Western propaganda vehemently.

Any Western commentary on CPEC consists of their domestic "experts". Rarely is China and Pakistan included in the CPEC discussion in Western media reporting. This also reveals the biased media coverage of CPEC/OBOR.

Please share your insights as to how Pakistan and China should counter Western propaganda. Should Pakistan and China engage in a counter narrative or should they ignore the Western propaganda and simply continue to focus on the completion of CPEC? What are the pros and cons for each approach?

I can only assume that promoting CPEC in a positive manner serves both China's and Pakistan's objectives to further trade and prosperity.

PS. A request to Chinese and Pakistani members to participate in this discussion.

Last edited:
Please,define what is "Western Media" ? Which countries are targeted ? If it wasn't for this forum I would probably never have heard of "CPEC".

You are not invited in this discussion. This discussion is only meant for Pakistani and Chinese audience.

Since you have never heard of "CPEC" this should not concern you anyway.

You are not invited in this discussion. This discussion is only meant for Pakistani and Chinese audience.

Since you have never heard of "CPEC" this should not concern you anyway.

Media reports from nations such as the US, Germany, France, The Netherlands and others continue to promote CPEC/OBOR in a bad light.

As a citizen of the "Western world" as you call it,and citing my country in it,I have every right to join this discussion. Maybe that is the case in the US or in the UK,but again I say if this wasn't for this forum I would have never heard of the "CPEC",there are almost none reports of it,let alone "promoting it in a bad light". You probably never read or watch (as if you could understand anyways) French,German,Italian or Europeans medias as a whole but yet come to this conclusion. Cite few countries if you want,but don't talk about "western medias" as a whole.

As a citizen of the "Western world" as you call it,and citing my country in it,I have every right to join this discussion. Maybe that is the case in the US or in the UK,but again I say if this wasn't for this forum I would have never heard of the "CPEC",there are almost none reports of it,let alone "promoting it in a bad light". You probably never read or watch (as if you could understand anyways) French,German,Italian or Europeans as a whole but yet come to this conclusion.

Your media is clearly opposed and paranoid about Chinese infrastructure projects all over the world. The media reporting is for everyone accessible. Since CPEC is the flagship project of OBOR, this receives the most negative coverage in your media. Google is your best friend.

I live in a Western country. I have experienced propaganda at the highest level against CPEC. Seminars and events are arranged at universities, think tank organisations and at the governmental level. What interest do fake Western China/Pakistan experts from The Netherlands, France, Germany, UK, US and other Western nations have in taking part in CPEC related discussions and panels? These discussions are arranged in Western capitals by Western institutions.

Having said that, I value Pakistani and Chinese input on this subject matter. I am not interested in a debate where we argue whether the negative coverage is true or false. We know the coverage is politically motivated. That is beyond any question.

My specific question is whether Pakistan and China should counter or ignore the propaganda attempts.

Last edited:
Please,define what is "Western Media" ? Which countries are targeted ? If it wasn't for this forum I would probably never have heard of "CPEC".
This is more US specific as Europe is more ambivalent to China. Although wary of the rise of China I think the view is that the dragon can be tamed. Not, USA which sees rise of China as a threat to it's domination of the global order. The best example was US opposition to the new Chinese international investment bank. UK joined but USA hesitated and prevaricated if not hostile to the idea.

As a citizen of the "Western world" as you call it,and citing my country in it,I have every right to join this discussion.
I think you have every right to discuss in a public board such as this. I mean your from France, he is from Netherlands and I am from UK. See the irony if we start blockading members?

Sometimes !

This is more US specific as Europe is more ambivalent to China. Although wary of the rise of China I think the view is that the dragon can be tamed. Not, USA which sees rise of China as a threat to it's domination of the global order. The best example was US opposition to the new Chinese international investment bank. UK joined but USA hesitated and prevaricated if not hostile to the idea.

I think you have every right to discuss in a public board such as this. I mean your from France, he is from Netherlands and I am from UK. See the irony if we start blockading members?

Sometimes !

He is free to discuss in any other topic of his liking.

He is here to distract and not entirely unexpectedly if I may add. That is not the purpose of this topic.

The question of this topic is whether China and Pakistan ought to counter Western propaganda aimed at CPEC.

The Chinese ambassador in Pakistan raises an important question and he is someone with insight and authority. When he mentions the problem by its name we need to address it.

The question of this topic is whether China and Pakistan ought to counter Western propaganda aimed at CPEC.
Yes within Pakistan. No in Europe or USA. More to the point invest energy on making it a rip roaring success. That is the best way to counter the naysayers in Pakistan and abroad.

Same is the case with Kashmir issue. West as a whole has neglected Kashmir, but if you ask even a 10 y.o. western kid he will know about Hong Kong issue. It's not even limited to that, blizzard a gaming company is getting smashed, NBA is getting smashed over neutral comments for China. They are not pleasing they are just being neutral and still the whole gaming/sports community is prepped up against them.

Back
Top Bottom