What's new

We should feel sad for History, the worst victim of 2016

The_Showstopper

Reaction score
Country
India
We should feel sad for History, the worst victim of 2016
In 2016, history in India was the victim of ‘nationalism’, the word that in present times is often confused with ‘patriotism’ and ‘Hinduism’.

history759.jpg
It would be quite apt to say that 2016 has been the year of victimisation of history.
Poor History! It has been a tough year for the subject. In these times of blogging and social media, when everyone feels like an expert on historical methodologies, the real victim has been the subject itself. All through the year, this rather boring subject that school kids consider some kind of a torture designed by their teachers, has been struggling hard to free itself from the constant tussle between political motives of the ‘left’ and the ‘right’. It would be quite apt to say that 2016 has been the year of victimisation of history.

The problems started right in the beginning of the year when the suicide of a PhD scholar led to aggressive discussions on the caste system in India and its historical existence. This was soon followed by whether or not history allowed women to enter certain religious spaces. No sooner had those in authority reached some conclusion about how justified history was in stopping women from entering temples, that national pride threw the discipline in yet another scoop with aggressive questioning about whether or not the British did in fact take away the Kohinoor from India by force some 200 years back.

The legendary freedom fighter Bhagat Singh was in peaceful slumber, both in his deathbed and in history textbooks, when he was suddenly woken up by a rather feisty government berating a certain historian, also dead and gone, for having made the audacious claim of calling the late nationalist hero a ‘terrorist.’ All hell broke loose and a virulent fight broke out between Left wing historians and those representing the government upon whether or not the word ‘terrorist’ used in a history book of 1988 had the same connotation as that in 2016.

There were other issues as well including whether or not history had been witness to leather tanners in India or not, and whether the change in names of High Courts, streets and states can help in pushing away the ‘bad’ history from collective memory of not. The year was finally about to end that a new report came out questioning history on yet another issue. When the author of a research paper in the journal ‘Itihaas’ published by the Indian Council of Historical Research (ICHR) claimed that the celebrated ‘dancing girl’ figurine of Mohenjodaro was actually the Hindu Goddess Parvati, he was actually questioning the historicity of Hinduism in India, pushing it back several centuries from when currently historians believe it to have originated.

It would be quite wrong to say that it is only the present year that has victimised history. The reigns of political power have for centuries determined what should and should not be considered as authentic in the past. In that sense, history has forever been the victim of political interest. However in 2016, history in India was a special kind of victim. It was the victim of ‘nationalism’, the word that in present times is often confused with ‘patriotism’ and ‘Hinduism’.

But then of course, in the time and age when a military operation upon a neighbouring country is considered an exercise promoting ‘nationalism’ and an economic move to wipe out black money is given a nationalist fervour, why should history- the favourite subject of political authorities- be spared? How could history be released from the clutches of nationalism/ patriotism/ Hinduism? 2016 had to end with a victmised history, pleading to the government to finally release it from its skewed perceptions of nationalism.

http://indianexpress.com/article/opinion/web-edits/poor-history-the-worst-victim-of-2016-4445704/

Agree with the author to some extent. But again, if Hinduism does not assert itself in India, then India will be turned into another banana republic. India is secular and democratic becasue Hindus are majority. People might have different opinion and we respect their opinion.But fact on the ground shows that every nation is moving towards right wing politics due to the flawed idea where minorities try to allign the culture, priority and policy of nation in a different direction that the majority had wished for.

Agree with the author to some extent. But again, if Hinduism does not assert itself in India, then India will be turned into another banana republic. India is secular and democratic becasue Hindus are majority. People might have different opinion and we respect their opinion.But fact on the ground shows that every nation is moving towards right wing politics due to the flawed idea where minorities try to allign the culture, priority and policy of nation in a different direction that the majority had wished for.
Agree, not particularly religious myself but India is secular because we are a Hindu majority.

Trump in America, and it's happening all over western Europe too, nationalism is replacing their misplaced leftist weirdo multiculty "priorities" that give jihadists a clean chit while they demonize the natives.

Please explain how India will turn itself into Banana Republic if Hindus don't assert themselves in India? Are you trying to tell me that religious minorities should follow the wishes of religious majority in India?

Please explain how India will turn itself into Banana Republic if Hindus don't assert themselves in India? Are you trying to tell me that religious minorities should follow the wishes of religious majority in India?

No.Religious minorities should be fully protected and fasciliated to practice their religion and belief.This is what is the essence of Hinduism. But the international relation and the nations narrative should not be driven by the intrest of minority intrest. Classic example is Kashmir issue where majority of Muslims show sympathy with some form or the other with anti india elements in valley which should not be the case..There is a long list that can be discussed..

No.Religious minorities should be fully protected and fasciliated to practice their religion and belief.This is what is the essence of Hinduism. But the international relation and the nations narrative should not be driven by the intrest of minority intrest. Classic example is Kashmir issue where majority of Muslims show sympathy with some form or the other with anti india elements in valley which should not be the case..There is a long list that can be discussed..
So tell me, what do you mean by "showing sympathy" with anti-India elements? And what is the relation of Indian muslims with anti-India elements? Hindus or the majority community are no one to judge me or others. You are as much an Indian as I am and I am sure that you accept that nobody be it hindus can judge me or minorities...

So tell me, what do you mean by "showing sympathy" with anti-India elements? And what is the relation of Indian muslims with anti-India elements? Hindus or the majority community are no one to judge me or others. You are as much an Indian as I am and I am sure that you accept that nobody be it hindus can judge me or minorities...

Mate..I completely agree with you. No one is questioning about the Indianness for minorities...Even who the hail i am to even to ask about it.....But my intent is different. It is a fact which i have seen, that a good number of Muslims shows soft corner for Pakistan and the separatist movements in Kashmir which should not be the case. Trust factor is definitely missing with some segments of Muslims( I do not generalize all) who do not allign with national ambition of our nation.

Mate..I completely agree with you. No one is questioning about the Indianness for minorities...Even who the hail i am to even to ask about it.....But my intent is different. It is a fact which i have seen, that a good number of Muslims shows soft corner for Pakistan and the separatist movements in Kashmir which should not be the case. Trust factor is definitely missing with some segments of Muslims( I do not generalize all) who do not allign with national ambition of our nation.
What do you have to say about those who want to replace Indian flag with Bhagwa? Aren't good number of Hindus not loyal to Indian constitution, Indian anthem and Indian flag? What do you have to say about that?

What do you have to say about those who want to replace Indian flag with Bhagwa? Aren't good number of Hindus not loyal to Indian constitution, Indian anthem and Indian flag? What do you have to say about that?

Happy New Year Adil. :enjoy:

Back
Top Bottom