What's new

Washington has no interest in using Gülen against AKP,’ head of American-Turkish Council says

atatwolf

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
n_61563_4.jpg

Both Ankara and Washington suffer from disillusionment on different subjects, says former US envoy to Ankara James Holmes while explaining the recent strains in bilateral relations. HÜRRİYET photo, Levent KULU

Barcin-yinanc.jpg
Barçın Yinançbarcin.yinanc@hurriyet.com.tr

The United States has no desire to use Fethullah Gülen, a Turkish Muslim scholar who lives in self-imposed exile in America, as a tool against Ankara, said James Holmes,who is currently the president of the American-Turkish Council.

Ties between Ankara and Turkey might be on the frosty side, but Turkey continues to be an important ally for the U.S., according to Holmes.

There is a general conviction in Turkey that somewhere in the U.S., a button has been pushed to weaken Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and his government.

This is an impossible view. I met with a group of parliamentarians in Ankara recently; their very first sentence was that Fethullah Gülen lives in Pennsylvania – as though by asserting that, the U.S. government has responsibility for what Gülen does.

My impression is that many Turks – certainly not all – use this as a way of rational explanation for something which they can otherwise not figure out. They need to understand that some things happen in Turkey because Turks do it, not because somebody else did it to them. This is clear case of Turks at sixes and sevens with each other; the activities going on which are very much the body and consequences of Turks against Turks rather than somebody else from outside pushing a button. I have to reject the notion that the U.S. is behind this.

I am fascinated by the fact that most stories start with “U.S.-based Gülen.” It is almost an adjective associated with him. This is a fact of life that he lives there. The U.S. has absolutely no interest in using Gülen against the interests of the AKP [ruling Justice and Development Party] or PM Erdoğan.

The worse thing is the assertion that the U.S. does not want Turkey to be successful. This is nonsense. Look at the Istanbul stock exchange. [Around] 65 to 70 percent of the Istanbul stock exchange [is in the hands of] foreigners, and a lot of it is from Americaninvestors. Why would American investors want to continue [to invest] – and they do continue to invest? Why would they want to continue to invest if they wanted it to fail? Turkey was, is and continues to be a valuable ally to the United States.

Many think the Gülen movement could not have become so strong had the U.S. not supported it, as it suited the U.S. policy of supporting moderate Islam.

I don’t think the U.S. as a matter of policy has ever felt it needed to have Gülen in order to carry out its policy objectives. It is big enough to carry out its policy objectives without relying on a particular individual or movement. Gülen came to the U.S. at the end of the 1990s; he holds a green card. As long as he does not violate the laws, he can live in the U.S. He has got his own presence, his own equities, his own interests in U.S., which are being conducted on behalf of his community, which provides him with reasons to stay there. U.S. authorities are familiar with him in terms of charter school activities, and they are constantly engaging with local educational authorities. There have been instances of visa and education fraud, and his organization is thoroughly investigated, and they don’t come up with crimes. These fears and allegations are overwhelmingly fabricated in a way that has much to do with domestic policy in Turkey.

How does Washington view the Gülen movement?

My impression is that their attitude is benign.

Yet as a superpower, the U.S. certainly uses every tool available to it.

I don’t think he fits into that category at all – meaning a useful instrument for U.S. policy. I don’t believe U.S. policy has come to the conclusion it wants to use the Gülen movement in terms of the outreach of Islam around the world.

Then how are the developments seen from Washington?

Although there is certainly a number of Turks who wish to hate the U.S., I believe that Turks overwhelmingly regard the relationship with the U.S. as valuable and valid. I am optimistic that even when you go through bad patches, there will be a point in time in which it will turn and will turn in a way which the validity and importance of relationship is reiterated and you move on from there.

Right now, we are at a point which I won’t say is at the peak. The astonishing thing is that seven months ago we were talking about the excellent relationship between the U.S. and Turkey – perhaps the best that it had been in 20 years; that was the vocabulary used when the prime minister was in Washington in May.

Within these few months, it has become a more difficult relationship – one where we need to be prepared as businesspeople to emphasize the importance of protecting the relationship. The investor community has not panicked; they are not saying I am out of here. There is a cautious wait-and-see attitude.

Tell us what happened.

If you ask the question in Washington and Ankara, you will have different answers. What happened is disillusionment probably on both sides. As far as Turkey is concerned, there is disillusionment with respect to Syria, with respect to the request for the setting up of a parallel negotiating track for free-trade negotiations between the U.S. and the EU.

From Washington’s perspective, it really began to turn with the [September 2013] decision to buy the high-altitude air-defense system from China. That was the dominant mystification in the relationship.

Then there was a pretty sharp exchange with the publication of a story that the U.S. is behind this; that really spelt out Washington’s concern, which continues to this day, that Turkey needs to take responsibility for its own actions rather than attributing everything that goes wrong in the country to the hidden hand of somebody else, namely the U.S.

The fact that relations are not exactly at their best is the reason why the U.S. is suspected of looking for an alternative to the current government.

You can’t beat something with nothing. You are imputing a capability to Gülen or to the opposition parties, which certainly has not yet been manifested in terms of the politics of Turkey. I hear that Hizmet [the Gülen Movement] might control 5 to 6 percent of the popular vote. On local elections, I hear with all else going on that the AK Party continues to have a sizable popular vote lead. If we were intent on [making] these kinds of efforts to unseat the existing government, I wish we could pick somebody who has the chance of being the winner. I don’t see that being the case. Why would the U.S. take the risk of backing a lame horse?

Don’t you think that the government is convinced that the U.S. is behind these developments?

It is possible that the PM is advised by some people and he may have read stories, but I don’t believe he believes that now. I don’t think he sees that as a rational explanation for this.

I think it has to do with where you find ways to be successful in a campaign environment with your core constituency. And that’s certainly the explanation Washington finds for this; it is domestic politics at a highly heated campaign time.

Will the AKP remain the main interlocutor in the eyes of Washington?

[Yes], but this is fundamentally the choice Turks are making. It is simply the way we see local politics for this season and also probably for the parliamentary elections. There continues to be strong support [from Turks for the AKP].

How come U.S. investors are not panicking?

It is interesting, but it is also reaffirming; it says U.S. investors are long-term investors; they look at Turkey in terms of long-term growth and its potential for the next 10 years. U.S. investors are prepared to say, “OK, in bilateral ties, there have been cycles, but in the long term, we expect there to be good progress, a stable government and an ability for investors to get solid returns.”

What makes them think like that?

One; the confidence that the government won’t suddenly move against their economic interests; two, they can repatriate their money when they wish to; three, there is a condition of economic law which they can rely upon. The last one is a bit shaky; it constitutes some of the element of risk; but that’s been priced into their investment decision already. I don’t think they see what’s going on now as a dramatic shift in terms of the risk which they had already assessed at the time they made the investment.

There are other positive developments.
Turkey for three decades has had the overwhelming burden of a civil war with the PKK[Kurdistan Workers’ Party]. For 12 months now, we have had a democracy initiative and a cease-fire, which is holding. Certainly 12 months of this sort of durability for the initiative has the chance of creating a new normal in Turkey. That is the most positive thing that has happened in the last three decades.

Do you believe that brother?

What ever something negative occurs in Turkey, it has never been governments fault.....

It is either Jews, US, EU, Assad's, Iran's, Interest lobbies or marginal groups fault.... but never government's fault because they are heavenly beings whom never makes a single mistake. :disagree:

What ever something negative occurs in Turkey, it has never been governments fault.....

It is either Jews, US, EU, Assad's, Iran's, Interest lobbies or marginal groups fault.... but never government's fault because they are heavenly beings whom never makes a single mistake. :disagree:

I don't believe that however people need to be reasonable with government to get what they want. Today people rush things and seek immediately to overthrow the government which is why people suspect foreign interference or speculate.

That is politics. Everywhere the same. Create outside enemy to hold the crowd together.

But what is sure is that US has ditched her A plan which was AKP. Now it tries with CHP and gullen traitors.

I believe these dogs will be worse for Turkey. For example If gullen can support US against Turkey, he can also make decision to cripple Turkey's military progress or CHP can recognize so called Armenian genocide.

That is politics. Everywhere the same. Create outside enemy to hold the crowd together.

But what is sure is that US has ditched her A plan which was AKP. Now it tries with CHP and gullen traitors.

I believe these dogs will be worse for Turkey. For example If gullen can support US against Turkey, he can also make decision to cripple Turkey's military progress or CHP can recognize so called Armenian genocide.

Mate, one example.

The previous crysis, negative developments before AKP was the fault of previous governments, not the fault of foreign powers according to Erdogan.

Millions of Dollars have been found in his ministers houses. But ministers are not at fault...... it's the work of Jews...... I'm not buying it, and i feel sad for my countrymen who believes his lies.

Mate, one example.

The previous crysis, negative developments before AKP was the fault of previous governments, not the fault of foreign powers according to Erdogan.

Millions of Dollars have been found in his ministers houses. But ministers are not at fault...... it's the work of Jews...... I'm not buying it, and i feel sad for my countrymen who believes his lies.
Yea, I know what you mean. If AKP ministers didn't steal they wouldn't be caught by CIA and leak it to manipulate Turkish politics. You have to remember that US only leaked for their own benefit. Not for our benefit.

Sometimes you have to choose between the lesser of two evils. Million of dollars in shoe box is nothing compared to billions and billions foreigners stole from us in the past. See it in perspective.

Yea, I know what you mean. If AKP ministers didn't steal they wouldn't be caught by CIA and leak it to manipulate Turkish politics. You have to remember that US only leaked for their own benefit. Not for our benefit.

Sometimes you have to choose between the lesser of two evils. Million of dollars in shoe box is nothing compared to billions and billions foreigners stole from us in the past. See it in perspective.

Evil is evil and all forms of evil must have been punished.

I'm not saying we should topple the current government with a coup. But responsibles should be punished. But instead, prosecuters and police officials have been removed from the case.

If justice won't work in our country, our republic will have the same value as a banana republic.

Say what, after these development, i get angry and decided not to live by rules. Now i pass at the red lights, park in the second lane of the road, etc.. If nobody respects the law why should i ?

i wasn't intending to write, but i feel forced to share some links with you:

AKP ÇILDIRDI: YABANCIYA TOPRAK SATIŞINDA SINIR TANIMIYOR

Yabancıya toprak satışı rekor kırdı!

and as turkish proverb "balık baştan kokar" goes, do you think tayyip erdogoon, who by the way rules his ministers with iron fist, wasn't aware of these corruptions? and do you actually justify this theft? you're aware that what they steal belongs to people of turkey, right? and by adding cia into grand scheme of yours, you're just repeating akp's rhetoric about jews and u.s. and all others whose only purpose in this life is to meddle with erdogoon.
and by the way, why erdogoon's son bilal still abstains from coming to police and giving his statement? sarcasm on: he's being abducted by aliens from area 51 who feel threatened by erdogoon's bright future for turkey: sarcasm off. akp is changing every rule and law out there to suit their agenda. welcome banana republic, welcome grand sultan.

such words coming from an official have to be taken with a grain of salt. If you'd have asked a Greek official before it was found out, he would also deny Greece housing the pkk and dhkc against Turkey, but we have fortunately seen the reality. Same applies to Syria and its relations with the pkk in the 90's.
we saw the west, with the US as the obvious main object, objecting to Turkey's military progress a lot in the last few months, so i do not believe in this NATO friendship at all. They can drop us whenever they want, just like the arms embargo during the 1974 conflict. Therefore i cannot accept that those western countries, so called 'allies', wish the best for us sincerely. just a few examples; we saw how they exaggerated news about Turkey during the Gezi chapter, we saw how they favored Greece against us with the Cyprus case, I saw with my own eyes what rubbish they write and publish about Turkey in the Netherlands and some Europe's media's (in particular Dutch's) hypocritical stance over the pkk, even though the pkk is officially branded a terrorist organization, labeling them inappropriate titles such as activists, while terrorists against western interests are simply labeled as Muslim terrorist without any distinction. So, to believe that US doesnt care about this gulen topic, doesnt seem realistic to me, surely they will weight the (dis)advantages between akp, Gulen, chp etc.

throwing mud at akp or chp regarding their internal matters is not going to change the fact that whenever Turkey is advancing, it gets hated more and more externally by its neighbors and other hostile countries. suddenly facing hardship must mean we are on the right track. We have had relatively 'easy' decades in the past and what has become of us at that time? small/not existent indigenous military industry, unknown/negative image in the world, (very) poor performance in almost every field etc. I think we can all agree on that, if not at least to an extent. The only difference i see is a man, Erdogan, who stands up against the threats and injustice that Turkey faces on the international level, because i can't imagine another Turkish politician who has the same backbone and stubborn behavior towards the Americans and Europeans. Not only Erdogan, any Turkish leader who shows this independent and strong characteristics against those ill-willed countries wins in my book. I dont want a leader that gives in so easily, do you? Don't bombard me for being an Erdogan supporter, i know he has his shortcomings and mistakes as well. anyway, well being of the nation comes first and i believe that Erdogan is currently the only person that can keep Turkey stable and respected on the international level (for the people who will now write something about the zero problem issue; a rising country will naturally always face more problems from anxious unwilling neighbors, so it's not solely Turkey's fail). therefore i surely believe that there are persons who would like to damage Turkey as much as possible, though i, too, sometimes find it annoying that Erdogan and such blame everything on others, just as much as when people belittle and completely ignore akp and their achievements just because they dont like the man, only to find out much later that it was actually better under him. we should be appreciative and see things in perspective before disregarding something completely

Last edited:
@usernameless do you really think Erdogan is keeping Turkey respected on an international level, if he's putting pressure on the judicary and is de facto trying to abolish the division of powers?

@usernameless do you really think Erdogan is keeping Turkey respected on an international level, if he's putting pressure on the judicary and is de facto trying to abolish the division of powers?

first of all, i do not believe in that 'if you don't follow EU guidelines, you will not be a respected country on an international level' sort of thinking. secondly, the 17th december incident collided quite nicely with the upcoming elections, and i think that Gulen's movement is involved, so chances are that something fishy were going on behind the scenes all the time until the 17th. My opinion is neutral, let them investigate who's who, what everyone's role was and fire/arrest whoever honestly deserves it.

Thats not EU guidelines but democracy guideliness.

And if your opinion is as neutral as you say it is, you should see and be against how the judicary and executive have been handled, like how around 800 police officers all around the country have been demoted.

such words coming from an official have to be taken with a grain of salt. If you'd have asked a Greek official before it was found out, he would also deny Greece housing the pkk and dhkc against Turkey, but we have fortunately seen the reality. Same applies to Syria and its relations with the pkk in the 90's.
we saw the west, with the US as the obvious main object, objecting to Turkey's military progress a lot in the last few months, so i do not believe in this NATO friendship at all. They can drop us whenever they want, just like the arms embargo during the 1974 conflict. Therefore i cannot accept that those western countries, so called 'allies', wish the best for us sincerely. just a few examples; we saw how they exaggerated news about Turkey during the Gezi chapter, we saw how they favored Greece against us with the Cyprus case, I saw with my own eyes what rubbish they write and publish about Turkey in the Netherlands and some Europe's media's (in particular Dutch's) hypocritical stance over the pkk, even though the pkk is officially branded a terrorist organization, labeling them inappropriate titles such as activists, while terrorists against western interests are simply labeled as Muslim terrorist without any distinction. So, to believe that US doesnt care about this gulen topic, doesnt seem realistic to me, surely they will weight the (dis)advantages between akp, Gulen, chp etc.

throwing mud at akp or chp regarding their internal matters is not going to change the fact that whenever Turkey is advancing, it gets hated more and more externally by its neighbors and other hostile countries. suddenly facing hardship must mean we are on the right track. We have had relatively 'easy' decades in the past and what has become of us at that time? small/not existent indigenous military industry, unknown/negative image in the world, (very) poor performance in almost every field etc. I think we can all agree on that, if not at least to an extent. The only difference i see is a man, Erdogan, who stands up against the threats and injustice that Turkey faces on the international level, because i can't imagine another Turkish politician who has the same backbone and stubborn behavior towards the Americans and Europeans. Not only Erdogan, any Turkish leader who shows this independent and strong characteristics against those ill-willed countries wins in my book. I dont want a leader that gives in so easily, do you? Don't bombard me for being an Erdogan supporter, i know he has his shortcomings and mistakes as well. anyway, well being of the nation comes first and i believe that Erdogan is currently the only person that can keep Turkey stable and respected on the international level (for the people who will now write something about the zero problem issue; a rising country will naturally always face more problems from anxious unwilling neighbors, so it's not solely Turkey's fail). therefore i surely believe that there are persons who would like to damage Turkey as much as possible, though i, too, sometimes find it annoying that Erdogan and such blame everything on others, just as much as when people belittle and completely ignore akp and their achievements just because they dont like the man, only to find out much later that it was actually better under him. we should be appreciative and see things in perspective before disregarding something completely
You are right,there is no other one.
We can jump high and low but since there is no alternative,there is ''zipp'' we can do but talk about it.

Back
Top Bottom