What's new

Was Modi's Message to China's Li Keqiang - We will accept the LAC as the border?

Big bully the small in this world to achieve their interests, China can do that with India, and India does that with Pakistan.

what is there in aksai chin that you are so willing to give away tawang???
Aksai Chin itself nothing but something really good west to it and Tawang only a little town but something marvelous east to it.So the LAC means opportunity for China to get something wonderful and India to get nothing.

Aksai Chin itself nothing but something really good west to it and Tawang only a little town but something marvelous east to it.So the LAC means opportunity for China to get something wonderful and India to get nothing.

Can you write clearly. I cannot understand what you meant?

So did Modi signal to China that it was time for India and China to resolve their border dispute along the lines suggested by the Chinese themselves earlier? By accepting the LAC as the new international border?

I think so. China's decision to send their foreign minister Wang Yi to India in the second week of June to follow-up on the Modi - Li Keqiang conversation is a clear indication that Modi has said something that China is delighted to hear.

This is a good compromise. In fact India will get a populated area which would be larger. For China they get a smaller barren land but a strategic road from Xinjiang toTibet.

This is what WenJiabao hinted before but India refused.

I think making LAC as the permanent border is the best solution to the Indo-China border dispute..
Same should be done with the LoC to resolve the Kashmir issue.

They want tawang badly . If we could exchange tawang for Aksai Chin , i think it would be a good deal .
Tawang is populated, with patriotic Indians. Aksai chin is a barren cold mountainous desert with hardly any population or any economic or strategic value to India. Making the present status-quo permanent is the best solution..

If and Only If our border disputes are resolved, believe me or not but a grand alliance is in making. I am sure Chinese leaders are smart enough to recognise this opportunity also Modi is the best man to deal as he has full majorty in Indian parliament this time so no question of blackmiling from regional parties.

If and Only If our border disputes are resolved, believe me or not but a grand alliance is in making. I am sure Chinese leaders are smart enough to recognise this opportunity also Modi is the best man to deal as he has full majorty in Indian parliament this time so no question of blackmiling from regional parties.
During NDA's rule under Vajapayee from 1998 to 2004 the ice was broken with Israel. The fruits of Indo-Israeli relationship is for all to see today. I hope the present NDA government under Modi will do the same to Indo-China relationship..

During NDA's rule under Vajapayee from 1998 to 2004 the ice was broken with Israel. The fruits of Indo-Israeli relationship is for all to see today. I hope the present NDA government under Modi will do the same to Indo-China relationship..

Israel and China are two different issues.... and the reason for difference of opnion or not having friendly relation are totally different.... Israel always wanted to good relationship with us, it was us who were not responding...... Is that the case with china?

Israel and China are two different issues.... and the reason for difference of opnion or not having friendly relation are totally different.... Israel always wanted to good relationship with us, it was us who were not responding...... Is that the case with china?
I never said Indo-China issues are/were exactly same as those of Indo-Israel relationship. I only say Indo-China relationship can be improved a lot better and there is a huge scope for mutual benefit by more cooperation and involvement with each other, just like the way it happened in Indo-Israeli relationship. The advantage NDA government has w.r.t. UPA, is that they don't come with the baggage from the past and can do things from a relatively cleaner slate. Indo-China relationship should not be a hostage to the past and 1962 was was almost generations ago.

I never said Indo-China issues are/were exactly same as those of Indo-Israel relationship. I only say Indo-China relationship can be improved a lot better and there is a huge scope for mutual benefit by more cooperation and involvement with each other, just like the way it happened in Indo-Israeli relationship. The advantage NDA government has w.r.t. UPA, is that they don't come with the baggage from the past and can do things from a relatively cleaner slate. Indo-China relationship should not be a hostage to the past and 1962 was was almost generations ago.

India China difference can be resolved, It is not as complicated as with our western neighbor.....But there should be a political will, If we show the real political will, i guess they also would respond....

India China difference can be resolved, It is not as complicated as with our western neighbor.....But there should be a political will, If we show the real political will, i guess they also would respond....
Exactly. The problems in Indo-China relationship is relatively minor. In 2000+ year cordial relationship, problems have come up only in the past few decades. The previous governments were hostages to the past and adamant in their stand. Both India and China need to be more pragmatic and willing to take tough decisions in their approach to resolving the outstanding issues in the relationship.

Source ?

India has always unofficially agreed to LAC as the border but the Chinese have always been hell bent on taking the Tawang district in Arunachal Pradesh from India. I don't believe the Chinese would change their stance just because they like Modi.
That's not entirely true. The issue is that we Indians have a false perception that the entire Aksai Chin was and is part of India. The border has been changed a number of times by the British. Nehru went one step further by his so called forward policy in the late 50s in spite of objections by the Chinese.

India's claim line is based on the Johnson Line of 1865. China's claim line is based on the later Macartney-MacDonald line of 1899.

The Rival Positions

The Indian position, as stated by Prime Minister Nehru, was that the Aksai Chin was "part of the Ladakh region of India for centuries" (sic) and that this northern border was a "firm and definite one which was not open to discussion with anybody". (Note the extreme position taken by Nehru without any basis in historical facts).

The Chinese minister Zhou Enlai argued that the western border had never been delimited, that the Macartney-MacDonald Line, which left the Aksai Chin within Chinese borders was the only line ever proposed to a Chinese government by the British, and that the Aksai Chin was already under Chinese jurisdiction, and that negotiations should take into account the status quo.

Now where Aksai Chin is concerned, it cannot be said to have ant strategic value. Not a blade of grass grows there and the tough terrain is hardly accessible from the Indian side. Economically it has zero potential where India is concerned.

Therefore the only solution is to adhere to and accept the Macartney-MacDonald Line and be done with it. In exchange China is willing to forgo its claims on Arunachal Pradesh.

Here's a map that will clarify where the respective claim lines run....

450px-Aksai_Chin_Sino-Indian_border_map.png

But then, we have our egos and politics to contend with which will prove a major hurdle in solving the issue.

They want tawang badly . If we could exchange tawang for Aksai Chin , i think it would be a good deal .

No not at all.

Tawang is habited by Arunachalis who proudly stand by India. Aksai Chin was illegally taken over because there was no habited city there.

Please comment sensibly.

Back
Top Bottom