What's new

Wake up and smell the failure

Engagement can mean multiple things, why do you not be more precise as to what the American leaders have been statting since the times of Lyndon B Jonhson. American engagement in Asia is varied and of multiple reasons. The middle east, south asia and far east are separated by US according to different levels of engagement and cooperation as part of their foreign policy.

If Americans were so anti-Chinese as some our own people make them out to be, there would not be the level of coopearation they have as economic partners. Similarly the Chinese and Americans at this stage have similar goals for our country, not the opposite designs as frequently heard in some quarters.

If the US wanted to contain China, it would have taxed every China made import heavily causing China massive losses in trade. After all US is China's biggest export market and it has been able to continously enlarge its global power over the years with assistance from US in the form of economic cooperation.

This is an error, US to contain China's intentions and actions are obvious, but the cooperation of China and the U.S. more, and he is too important not simply to give up a better future of bilateral cooperation.

Sorry for the late response; my graphics card died.

Frankly I am not sure what it is about the article that makes you think that I am suggesting a grand Asian brotherhood. It is just that Indians know that China is on the rise...

This part:

This is the Asian century and enough people in India realise it, which is why there will be no confrontation between China and India — at least any confrontation that mirrors the Soviet-US clash.

The Indian approach to China is the classic two-faced Judas persona: a friendly smile up front with a dagger in the other hand. India knows that there is no way on this earth they will achieve any kind of regional hegemony with China breathing down their back, and Indian foreign policy is squarely aimed at working with the West to contain China. You can bet that India's multi-billion dollar military buying spree is not happening with Bangladesh in mind.

Instead of the usual kneejerks try and realise that Pakistan needs to get its house in order and I consider all issues linked. I am a patriot of this country who is not living abroad and is entirely invested in its progress and well being...

I actually agree with most of your article. I only take issue with the fact that you cavalierly dismiss the single most important geopolitical conflict happening in our very back yard and involving the major powers in the world. We cannot stick our heads in the sand and ignore the fact that we are being dragged into the US-China-India game whether we like it or not.

my writings have seldom gone down well with Indian audiences... so it is shameless of you to suggest that I am trying to earn any brownie points with them.

The list of thanks on your post confirms my point.

Enough said.

why do you not be more precise as to what the American leaders have been statting since the times of Lyndon B Jonhson.

JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

American policy-makers repeatedly insisted that if they failed to meet the challenge of China's presumed claim for pre-eminence in South-east Asia there would be a substantial enlargement of Chinese influence involving a dangerous change in the balance of power. Johnson put it bluntly: 'We face an ambitious and aggressive China, but we have the will and the strength to help our Asian friends resist that ambition.'

The anti-China concerns took a back seat for a while only because the more pressing concern was the USSR. But, once that threat was managed, China came back on the radar. Fast forward to Obama and his latest Asian trip, which was a who's who of an anti-China alliance: Japan, South Korea, India.

Australia Network News:Stories:Hillary Clinton to discuss the rise of China on Australia visit

The U-S Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton says the rise of China will be among the critical issues raised during her trip to Australia.

Similarly the Chinese and Americans at this stage have similar goals for our country, not the opposite designs as frequently heard in some quarters.

Not even close!
America and China couldn't be more opposite when it comes to Pakistan. The US is 100% committed to propping up India as a counter to China. This means that, as far as the US is concerned, Pakistan is a nuisance that deters India from focussing on China.

If the US wanted to contain China, it would have taxed every China made import heavily causing China massive losses in trade. After all US is China's biggest export market and it has been able to continously enlarge its global power over the years with assistance from US in the form of economic cooperation.

Some neocons in the US have suggested just that but the US, as the champion of globalization and free trade, cannot act that way. Maybe towards insignificant countries like Cuba, Iran and Pakistan. But not China. US multinational corporations would no longer remain globally competitive and would be the biggest losers.

Back
Top Bottom