What's new

Viper Infantry Fighting Vehicle.

That is because South Koreans have exited the Pakistan Defence sector for the foreseeable future due to Indian pressure and high dollar value orders. Believe it or not.
Indian pressure....isolation again...dillusional

We should invest with Turks before they too take their business somewhere else. Especially in armour, aviation and maritime systems.

If not at least form JVs with them on subsystems so we can start our own industry.
The world is changing rapidly

That is because South Koreans have exited the Pakistan Defence sector for the foreseeable future due to Indian pressure and high dollar value orders. Believe it or not.
K-9 Deal , the most major south korean deal with India was finalized in 2017, if pressure was the case they wouldnt have showed up at IDEAS 2018 the next year.
However i do remember the LAVA program or what it was called , MVDRE was working on it as a replacement to Light armoured vehicle

Any update? Or is this another prototype which went nowhere.
It's reportedly undergoing a pilot production run (link).

I get the rationale of using the M113 as the basis for the Viper IFV (re-use existing production infrastructure). However, some of the OEMs bidding for the IFV program offered to lease part of HIT or invest in a net-new production line as part of an offset package. So, that infrastructure thing might not be an issue. The PA may select a clean sheet design and, in return, get the OEM to set up a subsidiary in Pakistan to manufacture it locally.

I get the rationale of using the M113 as the basis for the Viper IFV (re-use existing production infrastructure). However, some of the OEMs bidding for the IFV program offered to lease part of HIT or invest in a net-new production line as part of an offset package. So, that infrastructure thing might not be an issue. The PA may select a clean sheet design and, in return, get the OEM to set up a subsidiary in Pakistan to manufacture it locally.
A clean sheet design.... Do you expect a Pakistani design or something along the lines if a ToT ?

A clean sheet design.... Do you expect a Pakistani design or something along the lines if a ToT ?
Existing foreign design that the OEM builds in Pakistan, i.e., not give ToT to HIT, but set up a subsidiary in Pak to manage the project separately, the PA buys from that company. It can be an offset package where the production site is that OEM's investment in Pak.

What are some of the other options for IFV under consideration?
6ACA11A1-5AD9-4816-A648-0BDA3606EF0C.jpeg

Could this be one of them?

What are some of the other options for IFV under consideration? View attachment 814355
Could this be one of them?
I know 2 of the OEMs that submitted bids, but I can't mention them at the moment. However, if the PA plays this right, the IFV could be a vehicle (pun not intended) to drive more private sector participation in our defence industry and get us a hefty offset (33%+). From what I was told, the 2 options on the cards are either letting the OEM lease capacity from HIT or set-up a net-new production facility. So, for example, if the PA commits to $2BN in IFV orders, Pakistan could get $650 m back through OEM investment in a local production facility, localization orders, hiring locally, etc. I also think our industry can hit the ground running with military vehicles, so I could see a deal like this generate more activity on top of the contract. The total impact could give have the impact of a 50-60% offset.

Hypothetically, if Norinco Group wins such a deal, then it could be the start of 'CPEC done right.' Basically, we leverage our domestic requirements to attract big-time FDI in technology-centric areas. If "Norinco Pakistan" gets efficient, it could even end up exporting to tanks, IFVs, SPHs, etc to other countries from within Pakistan. We can grow to become the conduit through which China exports arms by getting AVIC, Norinco, etc, to set up subsidiaries that produce in Pakistan.

@iLION12345_1

I know 2 of the OEMs that submitted bids, but I can't mention them at the moment. However, if the PA plays this right, the IFV could be a vehicle (pun not intended) to drive more private sector participation in our defence industry and get us a hefty offset (33%+). From what I was told, the 2 options on the cards are either letting the OEM lease capacity from HIT or set-up a net-new production facility. So, for example, if the PA commits to $2BN in IFV orders, Pakistan could get $650 m back through OEM investment in a local production facility, localization orders, hiring locally, etc. I also think our industry can hit the ground running with military vehicles, so I could see a deal like this generate more activity on top of the contract. The total impact could give have the impact of a 50-60% offset.

Hypothetically, if Norinco Group wins such a deal, then it could be the start of 'CPEC done right.' Basically, we leverage our domestic requirements to attract big-time FDI in technology-centric areas. If "Norinco Pakistan" gets efficient, it could even end up exporting to tanks, IFVs, SPHs, etc to other countries from within Pakistan. We can grow to become the conduit through which China exports arms by getting AVIC, Norinco, etc, to set up subsidiaries that produce in Pakistan.

@iLION12345_1
HIT has a lot of production capacity and multiple well equipped factories that were meant to produce M113s and variants that can be readily upgraded and repurposed to make new vehicles. I wish they’d make use of those already, half the work is already done.

HIT has a lot of production capacity and multiple well equipped factories that were meant to produce M113s and variants that can be readily upgraded and repurposed to make new vehicles. I wish they’d make use of those already, half the work is already done.
Yep that's why leasing part(s) of HIT is an offset option.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom