What's new

Vietnam - U.S. bilateral ties

According to a map, published by the Qing Dynasty in 1894, Chinese territory ended at the Hainan Island.

20110905091409_1.jpg

Vietnam has no choice but to live with it,you live next door to the world's No.1 economy to be.

Vietnam: Under the weight of China
August 27th, 2011

Author: Le Hong Hiep, Vietnam National University

Some researchers liken China to a rooster, with Korea as its beak and Vietnam its leg.

The analogy highlights the strategic importance of Vietnam toward China, especially in terms of security, while also suggesting that Vietnam must live under China’s weight. Vietnam is therefore, in Carlyle Thayer’s words, condemned to a ‘tyranny of geography’ where it has no choice but to learn to share its destiny with neighbouring China.

This threat posed by China toward Vietnam comes not only from geographical proximity but also the asymmetry of size and power between the two countries. China is 29 times larger than Vietnam, while Vietnam’s population, despite being the world’s 14th largest, is still only equivalent to one of China’s mid-sized provinces.

Vietnam’s impressive economic performance since the late 1980s hasn’t allowed it to close the gap in strength. This is because China’s own economic modernisation has caused the power gap between the two countries to become ever wider. According to World Bank data, China’s GDP expanded more than 16 times between 1985 and 2009 from US$307 billion to US$4.985 trillion. Vietnam’s GDP increased only seven times over the same period, from US$16 billion in 1985 to US$97 billion in 2009.

With its economic development, China’s military might has grown significantly, posing a formidable threat to Vietnam’s security. According to China’s official statements, its military budget for 2011 is US$91.5 billion, while Vietnam is said to have allocated US$2.6 billion. Particularly worrying for Vietnam is that China’s expanding military budget is concentrated on its air force and navy, strengthening China’s capacity to project power into the South China Sea where China and Vietnam have competing claims.

Vietnam’s transformation toward an open market economy also adds another aspect to this tyranny of geography: increased economic vulnerability.

Since Vietnam resumed trade with China in the late 1980s, its domestic production has long been threatened by Chinese goods — flooding the country through both formal and informal (smuggling) trade. This not only exerts a negative impact on Vietnamese domestic production but also puts Vietnamese consumers at risk when smuggled goods are toxic and harmful to people’s health.

Another vulnerability is Vietnam’s perennial trade deficit with China, amounting to US$5.4 billion out of the country’s total trade deficit of US$7.5 billion in the first half of 2011. China has also emerged as Vietnam’s largest source of imports, accounting for almost a quarter of its import turnover in 2010. Vietnam is heavily dependent on China for input materials for some of its major export industries, while Vietnam’s exports to China are just a minuscule portion of China’s total imports. Should China discontinue trade with Vietnam for some reason, the damage to Vietnam’s economy would be immense.

Another concern is that Chinese companies have won up to 90 per cent of EPC (engineering, procurement and construction) contracts for Vietnam’s major industrial projects, especially those of coal-fired power plants. Chinese contractors are favoured as they offer cheap technology and promise to help arrange financial funding from Chinese banks.

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

Star√ation;2510825 said:
Most of conversations with Chinese about the Manchu era would be peacefully ended up when the Chinese counterpart claim himself as partly Manchurian:lol:
I understand your feeling and do sympathize with you but I just wonder how the heck there are so many partly Manchurian Chinese on this PDF:azn:

so many in my home city Beijing,my ancestry desended from "Xiang huang" flag.

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

Star√ation;2510841 said:
Good prospect! Nice story!
I suggest you write out that story to a book, publish it and it gonna hit as a best-seller in China Mainland bookstores. Many Chinese fan boys gonna love it:lol:

no,it will be worth nothing,already tons of them out there written by western economists.

South China sea will become a Chinese lake,if not today,it will be in the near future,at most in 20 years time,Vietnam has to live with this fact.no one can stop China from claiming the top spot of the world,the west is declining fast.

That's why the United States "turn axis" direction into the Asia-Pacific.

so many in my home city Beijing,my ancestry desended from "Xiang huang" flag.

no,it will be worth nothing,already tons of them out there written by western economists.
What is "Xiang huang" flag?
I thought every Manchurian was descendants of the Eight Banners (Baqi).

Star√ation;2511186 said:
What is "Xiang huang" flag?
I thought every Manchurian was descendants of the Eight Banners (Baqi).

haha,you dont read pinyin,right,"Xiang huang"flag is one of (Baqi),Baqi in Chinese literally mean 8 flags.

haha,you dont read pinyin,right,"Xiang huang"flag is one of (Baqi),Baqi in Chinese literally mean 8 flags.
I thought 8 banners consisted of: 黄旗、白旗、红旗、蓝旗, 正黄、正白、正红、正蓝. I got confused here, where is ""Xiang huang"?
Mandarin is not a universal language, don't expect everyone to know it.

Star√ation;2511327 said:
I thought 8 banners consisted of: 黄旗、白旗、红旗、蓝旗, 正黄、正白、正红、正蓝. I got confused here, where is ""Xiang huang"?
Mandarin is not a universal language, don't expect everyone to know it.

八旗颜色分别为
正黄旗 镶黄旗 正蓝旗 镶蓝旗
正红旗 镶红旗 正白旗 镶白旗
其中八旗有分 满洲八旗 蒙古八旗 和八旗汉军

US will be soon having trouble taking care of themselves.you can't count on them.
China also in big trouble of oil shortage , you can not buy enough oil from Iran now, and your economy (including H.Kong) will collapse if you dare to rob our oil in SCS(east sea) :coffee:

Vietnam Deputy Defence Minister receives US Congressmen
Updated : Fri, August 10, 2012,1:02 PM (GMT+0700)

Deputy Defence Minister Senior Lieutenant General Nguyen Chi Vinh received in Hanoi on August 9 a delegation of the US House of Representatives’ Armed Services Committee.

image.jpg

Deputy Defence Minister Senior Lieutenant General Nguyen Chi Vinh. Photo: VNA

090909_wilson_better_297.jpg

Addison Graves "Joe" Wilson (b. July 31, 1947) Serves as a Republican Congressman representing South Carolina's 2nd congressional district in the U.S. House of Representatives

The delegation was led by Congressman Joe Wilson, Chairman of Subcommittee on Military Personnel under the House Armed Services Committee.

Deputy Defence Minister Vinh highlighted the development in the Vietnam-US defence ties in exchanging delegations, training, military medicine and overcoming the aftermath of the war.
He said he believes that Joe Wilson’s visit will make a positive contribution to cooperation between the two countries and hopes that the congressman and his entourage obtain good results during the visit.

Congressman Joe Wilson highly valued the Vietnamese Government and people’s effective cooperation in sharing information on searching for US servicemen missing during the war.
He said he hopes bilateral cooperation in overcoming the aftermath of the war will continue bringing benefit for both countries in the future.

The Congressman affirmed that he will do his utmost in his capacity to contribute to boosting cooperation between the two countries.

Deputy Defence Minister receives US Congressmen - Vietnam politics news - TuoiTreNews

Have we started to negotiate a military alliance with the U.S.?

Have we started to negotiate a military alliance with the U.S.?

The US is the instigator here. It Vietnam is foolish enough and allows a US military base within her land that will give China an excuse to take some of her possessions in NE Sea (SCS).

I don´t think so. Vietnam and the U.S. share a same goal: to contain China in the region.

Vietnam has allowed Russia and India to have Naval bases in Central Vietnam. It is currently trying to push the price higher in the regotiation of allowing U.S. base in Vietnam. The U.S. Americians are rich and powerful. China is not foolish enough to start a war.

八旗颜色分别为
正黄旗 镶黄旗 正蓝旗 镶蓝旗
正红旗 镶红旗 正白旗 镶白旗
其中八旗有分 满洲八旗 蒙古八旗 和八旗汉军

Off-topic, have you been to Tieba?

Back
Top Bottom