What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

Japanese Coast Guard ship visits Đà Nẵng

Update: July, 25/2016 - 17:40

NewImage76145032PM.jpg

A Japan Coast Guard Force ship, the Kojima, with 45 crew members and 49 trainees began a five-day friendship visit to the central city yesterday. — VNS Photos Công Thành
Viet Nam News

ĐÀ NẴNG — A Japan Coast Guard Force ship, the Kojima, with 45 crew members and 49 trainees started a five-day friendship visit to the central city today.

The training ship, the first of the Japan Coast Guard Force to visit Việt Nam this year, led by Colonel Hiroyuki Nanaura, will exchange experiences in search and rescue operations with the Maritime Rescue Co-ordination Centre No 2 in Đà Nẵng.

As per the plan, the Japanese ship crew will play a friendly volleyball match with Việt Nam’s Coast Guard Force, Zone 2, in Quảng Nam Province.

The Kojima ship is visiting Đà Nẵng for the second time since 2013.

The visit aims to promote understanding and friendship among coast guard forces in Việt Nam and Japan.

The two countries are active members of the Regional Co-operation Agreement on Combating Piracy and Armed Robbery against Ships in Asia (ReCAAP) and Heads of Asian Coast Guard Agencies Meeting (HACGAM), and have closely co-operated to improve maritime law enforcement.

Currently, a ship of the Japan Maritime Self Defence Force, JSDS Shimokita (LST-4002), is participating in the Pacific Partnership 2016 (PP16), being held in Đà Nẵng from July 15 to 28.

In 2015, three ships of the Japan Coast Guard Force visited Việt Nam.

In 2014, Japanese Maritime Self-Defence Force ship JS Kunisaki also took part in the Pacific Partnership 2014.

The Kojima and its crew members will leave for Japan on Friday, and a farewell ceremony will be held at Tiên Sa Port on the same day. – VNS

Air defence systems based on MANPADS are basically redundant for ships. Intercepting fighters or modern anti-ship missiles is outside the question. Heli armed with AshM has ranges well outside of those Igla-based missiles, even UAV like the S-100 variant used by China has a detection range well beyond the range of those Iglas. The truth is this system is redundant for a naval ship.

Let's think about TT-400TP without MANPADS, not with.
To find out, how many threats to be countered by MANPADS

I have already given some example of threats that MANPADS cannot deal with.

OK so lets see what kind of threats that a TT-400TP can deal with:

- Helicopters flying <7km of the TT400: Heli armed with miniguns? Yeah sure but who would use them? even those modern mini anti-ship missiles compatible with a heli platform has longer range than Igla.

- UAV: most small UAVs, like tge S-100 I mentioned, can detect naval targets well outside the range of Igla, no need to mention bigger MALE drones.

- Anti-ship missiles: no need to comment.

There really is no realistic threats that those Igla-based system can deal with, hence why I said they are redundant for a naval platform.

Air defence systems based on MANPADS are basically redundant for ships. Intercepting fighters or modern anti-ship missiles is outside the question. Heli armed with AshM has ranges well outside of those Igla-based missiles, even UAV like the S-100 variant used by China has a detection range well beyond the range of those Iglas. The truth is this system is redundant for a naval ship.
Well, at least it adds another layer of air defense against anti-ship missile or UAV.

Insignificantly maybe, but better have a little thing than none. Please remember that during wartime, the TT-400TP won't operate alone and it belongs to the third line of offensive.

Well, at least it adds another layer of air defense against anti-ship missile or UAV.

Insignificantly maybe, but better have a little thing than none. Please remember that during wartime, the TT-400TP won't operate alone and it belongs to the third line of offensive.

Western manufactures also offer those MANPADS based system to customers (although they hardly use it themselves), like the Mistral for the Indonesian Sigma corvettes.....but I have not heard of any realistic threats that they can deal with...

Modern AshM and UAVs is beyond its capacity (e.g. even a small rotary based S-100 can detect naval targets beyond 20km).

Western manufactures also offer those MANPADS based system to customers (although they hardly use it themselves), like the Mistral for the Indonesian Sigma corvettes.....but I have not heard of any realistic threats that they can deal with...

France still utilize mistral:sadral, on her Duplex frigate. It has a very limited role on air defense, yes, but we can improve it's effectiveness by adding CIWS.

Last edited:
France still utilize mistral:sadral, on her Duplex frigate. It has a very limited role on air defense, yes, but we can improve it's effectiveness by adding CIWS.

Good point, I would say that integrating it with the gun CIWS and the eyeball sensors its probably the best use for it as the picture below.

For a gunboat like the TT-400TP not much can be expected although another possibility could be to just have the Igla type missiles integrated in the ship combat systems as a first evolutionary step and then later replace the missile with a more advance one that can bring new capabilities, maybe the new domestic one under development.

AK630-M with 9A4172 Vikhr SAM system.jpg

Last edited:

Modern AshM and UAVs is beyond its capacity (e.g. even a small rotary based S-100 can detect naval targets beyond 20km).
As I said, better have it than not having it and lose a layer of defense. When under attack, every weapon counts.

This country could be the next winner in the South China Sea
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/country-could-next-winner-south-144946745.html
This_country_could_be_the-409c081a9d1bf7cf0a0c5c6b8d698046

(A Vietnamese naval soldier at Thuyen Chai Island in the Spratly archipelago.Quang Le/Reuters)

China's lion-share claims to the resource-rich waters in the South China Sea took a huge blow earlier this month after the Permanent Court of Arbitration issued a landmark rulingdismissing China's "nine-dash line" territorial claim.

The court found that Beijing had violated the Philippines' economic and sovereign rights and concluded there was no legal basis for China's nine-dash line, which encompasses approximately 85% of the South China Sea.

While the PCA ruling is only binding between Beijing and Manila, it does, however, set a legal foundation by determining that the rules of the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea take precedence over China's historic claims.

In short, if there is no "nine-dash line," other stakeholders in the South China Sea may be inspired to file lawsuits against China if Beijing refuses to compromise on access to the waters.

Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, Brunei, the Philippines, Taiwan, and China all have claims in the South China Sea, making the region one of the most disputed areas on the planet.

On July 12, a panel of legal experts at the Center for Strategic and International Studies' sixth annual South China Sea conference commented on the effect of the decision on other claimants.

"Because it's invalid, will it encourage other states" to push back against China's claims, James Kraska, professor of oceans law and policy at the US Naval War College asked, referring to the nine-dash line. "I think so and I hope so," he told Business Insider in a question-and-answer session.

"It will have enormous impact on future jurisprudence and on the perceived legitimacy of other claims in the South China Sea and around the world," said Gregory Poling, CSIS fellow and director of the Asia Maritime Transparency Initiative.

According to a report from financial market analysis firm BMI Research, Vietnam "is likely to be the key beneficiary from the spillover effects of the ruling."

Because of similarities in the PCA's ruling, Vietnam would most likely win in a maritime row against Beijing's claims in the Paracel Islands but would have to abandon all claims on Mischief Reef and Second Thomas Shoal since those areas fall under the Philippines' exclusive economic zone.

Vietnam would also have to withdraw troops from Alison Reef, Tennent Reef, and Cornwallis Reef in the Spratlys.

Banzai!

I am thinking to make a series of posts dedicated to our major partner country Japan.

dedicated especially for Chinese trollers here and elsewhere as well as state media, who repeatedly demand Japan to disappear from the South China Sea.

and for our lost brother Nihonjin

HD09NETl.jpg

N0jlEjau.jpg

A crew member of the Japan Coast Guard vessel (L) shakes hands with a representative of the Vietnam Coast Guard on July 25, 2016. Photo: Tuoi Tre

I think we should expand our strategy. Why only offering a part of Camranh bay to the Russians, why not extend the offer to America and Japan?

Ok ok I know There are a lot of hesitations in Vietnam toward increasing cooperation in military with the United States. but not to Japan. The Japanese should establish a permanent footprint in Vietnam. Right now they do a lot in economic field. Also in culture, people to people exchange. Having a permanent sea port such as in Danang offers the Japan Imperial Fleets many benefits. Potentially deterring the Chinese from establishing an ADIZ and breaking any sea blockade in peace and war time.

@Carlosa I hope you don't mind if I bring your hometown into the discussion :D

Beautiful cherry blossom festival in Danang, Vietnam.

20160401165255-fes-1-cherryblo-dnang.jpg

20160401165255-fes-2-cherryblo-dnang.jpg

20160401165255-fes-3-cherryblo-dnang.jpg

20160401165307-fes-4-cherryblo-dnang.jpg

20160401165307-fes-5-cherryblo-dnang.jpg

20160401165307-fes-6-cherryblo-dnang.jpg

20160401165323-fes-8-cherryblo-dnang.jpg

20160401165323-fes-9-cherryblo-dnang.jpg

Banzai!

I am thinking to make a series of posts dedicated to our major partner country Japan.

dedicated especially for Chinese trollers here and elsewhere as well as state media, who repeatedly demand Japan to disappear from the South China Sea.

and for our lost brother Nihonjin

HD09NETl.jpg

N0jlEjau.jpg

A crew member of the Japan Coast Guard vessel (L) shakes hands with a representative of the Vietnam Coast Guard on July 25, 2016. Photo: Tuoi Tre

What happened to Nihonjin?

Source: http://soha.vn/bao-nga-viet-nam-du-dinh-mua-vai-tram-xe-tang-t-90ms-20160726100953936.htm

Russian newspaper: Vietnam plans to buy several hundred tanks T-90MS

1-1469501620308-22-0-719-1366-crop-1469501745622.jpg

Just recently, on the mass media appeared rumors about Vietnam could become buyers of military technology and equipment largest Russian armored. Stories that involve buying lots oftanks T-90MS.

According to experts, Vietnam plans to buy several dozen MBT this version, but in fact shipments will more than a few times. Information on by an anonymous source at the Group uralvagonzavod (Russia) provided after the meeting with the delegation of Vietnam.

photo1469502271798-1469502271865.png

T-90MS is the version for export based on the prototype T-90AM Proryv, it has been deeply modernized, making tactical prowess increases many times.

T-90MS weight of 49 tons and engine power up to 1,130 kW, Control systems and complexes are perfect sight, many processes are highly automated.

The main armament of tanks is smoothbore gun 2A46M-5 125 mm size, has the ability to destroy targets at a distance up to 10 km (depending on the type of ammunition used).

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom