What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

Hanoi on July 27, 2015

first followed up meeting after the Party boss visit to the United States.

the US Ambassador to Vietnam Ted Osius reveals in a talk with Senior Lieutenant General Nguyen Chi Vinh: Washington will support Hanoi in building facilities at the Vietnam Peacekeeping Center and purchasing equipment for training there. Plus, the US will send trainers to Vietnam to assist the training. further, two US high ranking officials will come next week or soon: US coast guard commander Paul Zukunft and US secretary of state John Kerry.

DsnLMhRL.jpg

Last edited:
oh may i ask some infomation about Russia ship engine industry ? i heard some info about that due to Ukraine conflict , Kiev refuse to deliver ship engine and thus delay the ship delivery ?

those 100mm look nice :)

" ship engine" is a wide definition. :)

Frigates are using combined gas and diesel propulsion system. So Ukraine produced "turbine part", but they will be replaced by Saturn turbines in near time ( turbines will be delivered in 2017).

This is will delay delivery of frigates of project 11356 mostly, (3 of this ships already have a turbines and only two of them left without them), but i don't thinks its will affect frigates of project 22350.

Saturn producing turbines for civil use, they need some time to adapt them for ships.
Gas turbine power plants

Oh well thats good to know :)

2S3 SPA on manouver , aka Su-152 due to Vietnam classification since Su-100 , with 152mm they are really pack some heavy firepower..........on the side note , they are considerbly younger than our T-54/55 :v

Attachments

• Two 2S3 SPA.jpg
    Two 2S3 SPA.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 54
Right now even Russia still very hard to build destroyer or some big ship like these,

Current frigates of project 22350 has equal or even bigger fire-power compare to destroyers of Arleigh Burke-class

You should know that the size of the ship depend exactly at weapons installed on her. The new Russian destroyers will have S-500 which is will increase air defence capabilities.

Simply explanation, there is no point to build new bigger ship which is will have the same functions and weapons (only in a bigger number) as the ship of smaller class. ;-)

Current frigates of project 22350 has equal or even bigger fire-power compare to destroyers of Arleigh Burke-class

You should know that the size of the ship depend exactly at weapons installed on her. The new Russian destroyers will have S-500 which is will increase air defence capabilities.

Simply explanation, there is no point to build new bigger ship which is will have the same functions and weapons (only in a bigger number) as the ship of smaller class. ;-)

Hey is $36 million USD the real price for Su-34? How much do you think the export price would be?

Any confirmation from Russian source that we are going to buy it like what that Ukrainian source said?

@Yorozuya : it's a rumour. we should stop discussing about it.

Why not? If we can’t discuss about rumours, then there’s not much to talk about here.

The internet says the Su-34 only cost Russia $36 million, thats a damn low price so I’m wondering if that is true.

Hey is $36 million USD the real price for Su-34? How much do you think the export price would be?

Any confirmation from Russian source that we are going to buy it like what that Ukrainian source said?

Where do you get that price?
There is no actual price as i know in internet.
The chief of Russian airforce once said in 2014 that the price of Su-34 "is bigger then 1 billion of roubles" and that's all.

Also, the export price and internal prices are different, because many factors including in export price, such as:
-training of pilots
-weapons for the plane
-infrastructure
-simulators
-and others stuffs.

About rumours, i heard for the first time in 2012 that Vietnamese airforce looking at Su-34 as replacement for their Su-22.

as far i know, the Vietnamese MoD has a great plans for modernization of its air force, but this is very depends from Vietnamese economic. If everything will be ok, then:

The first step is a four squadrons or 45 Su-27\30 fighter jets should become a main power (defence and attack) in VPA.
The second step is a replacement for Su-22 and the main candidate for this role is a Su-34.
The third step is a replacement for Mig-21 (after 2020 probably) and here is not clear yet which jet will be chosen. I heard about JAS Gripen, but it's still not clear yet. Maybe Vietnamese posters will tell me :-)

@Barmaley
can I ask you how russia leadership assesses the actual tension between VN and CN?

@Viet

check this article, i think it is the same attitude toward VN and CN relation, supportive and balance, i don't think they play hedging
U.S.-Vietnam ties: New challenge for Moscow?

Sergey Strokan, Vladimir Mikheev

Almost half a century has elapsed since the last American GI returned back home from the jungle in Southeast Asia, and U.S. President Barack Obama has made history — marking the 20th anniversary of restoration of diplomatic ties — by welcoming to the White House the chief Vietnamese communist, party leader Nguyen Phu Trong.
The symbolic gesture of reconciliation comes amid intensified attempts by the U.S. to lure Vietnam into its sphere of influence in Asia at the expense of China and Russia.

It cannot have been easy for the U.S. administration to roll out the red carpet for Trong, since he is known to belong to the conservative wing in the Vietnamese leadership, which remains reluctant to embrace the former foe.

The revisionists among Washington’s foreign policy-makers have gained the upper hand for several reasons, with thenumber one consideration being the formation of a loose pro-American alliance of South East Asian nations. The second factor is the $35 billion turnover which has propelled Vietnam to the status of the United States’ largest trade partner in the region, with trade expected to reach $57 billion by 2020.

The third element is U.S. President Barack Obama’s intent to include Vietnam in the planned Trans-Pacific Partnership, a U.S.-sponsored organization that would require all member states to align themselves with American standards and business practices.

In the case of Vietnam, it would demand that Hanoi curtail the dirigisme of the government in running the economy in return for access to the U.S. domestic market for locally manufactured shoes and clothing. Trong’s visit to Washington has not produced any tangible results in this respect, but the first step has been taken.

Does this mark a dramatic new trajectory in U.S. foreign policy, or is it aimed only at achieving a breakthrough in putting together the Trans-Pacific Partnership? Is there a secret agenda? Troika Report approached Dr. Dmitry Mosyakov, deputy director of the Institute of Oriental Studies at the Russian Academy of Sciences, and director of the Center for South East Asia, Australia and Oceania, and here is what he had to say:

“The symbolism of the U.S. president’s welcome to Vietnam’s Communist leader cannot be underestimated given the continuous U.S. accusations of human rights violations in Vietnam and previous statements that Washington did not accept the legitimacy of communist rule in this country. This is a clear signal of the formal legitimization by the United States of communist power in Vietnam.

“The United States’ strategic goal is to influence the foreign policy alignment of Vietnam, which since the early 1990s has had a free hand in choosing friends and allies while remaining essentially neutral. It falls within the framework of the U.S. strategy of encircling China with countries with various level of alignment with Washington. We see U.S. troops are to be once again stationed in the Philippines. We see Burma as target of intensive U.S. interest. The crown prize would be Vietnam, if it is forced to abandon its balanced foreign policy orientation.”

The American media used Barack Obama’s long-term strategy to justify Washington’s rationale in welcoming Comrade Trong to the White House. The underlying concept is the same as at the core of the general focus on Asia currently being witnessed in U.S. foreign policy, and that is “to balance China’s growing economic, military and political clout.”

Is there a Russian angle to Washington’s courting of Vietnam? The question was answered by Dr. Mosyakov:

“Definitely. Russo-Vietnamese relations are unique in some sense. They are based on trust and mutual sympathy, as well as on contemporary cooperation in key areas: nuclear power generation, oil and gas production, military procurement, infrastructure projects, tourism, etc. Recently, Vietnam and Russia established a free trade zone. Now, the U.S. is attempting to diminish this partnership and present the alliance with the U.S. as the best and only option.”

Whether or not Barack Obama will succeed in his ultimate goal to bring Vietnam on board remains conditional on at least three elements.

Firstly, Vietnam’s communist leadership should resign itself to the idea of the supreme expediency of “opening up its political system,” as demanded by the United States, in exchange for a steady flow of revenues from shoe and clothing exports.

Secondly, both access to the U.S. market and the hint of a “security umbrella” to be offered by Obama’s administration in the face of Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea must overweigh the benefits of trade and economic cooperation with the world’s leader in GDP growth.

Thirdly, Obama’s plan could work if China and Russia remain transfixed on the sidelines and are unable to match Washington’s offers with anything as substantial.

In any case, the extraordinary visit by Vietnam’s ideological head to the country where not so long ago it was fashionable among some ultra-conservatives to chant “Better dead than red” marks a watershed in U.S. foreign policy. By any count, it is a coup of its own, and shows the limitless nature of Washington’s flexibility.

Last edited:
@JaiMin I forgot to ask before, are you member of nghiencuuquocte? (the translator team)

Where do you get that price?
There is no actual price as i know in internet.
The chief of Russian airforce once said in 2014 that the price of Su-34 "is bigger then 1 billion of roubles" and that's all.

Also, the export price and internal prices are different, because many factors including in export price, such as:
-training of pilots
-weapons for the plane
-infrastructure
-simulators
-and others stuffs.

About rumours, i heard for the first time in 2012 that Vietnamese airforce looking at Su-34 as replacement for their Su-22.

as far i know, the Vietnamese MoD has a great plans for modernization of its air force, but this is very depends from Vietnamese economic. If everything will be ok, then:

The first step is a four squadrons or 45 Su-27\30 fighter jets should become a main power (defence and attack) in VPA.
The second step is a replacement for Su-22 and the main candidate for this role is a Su-34.
The third step is a replacement for Mig-21 (after 2020 probably) and here is not clear yet which jet will be chosen. I heard about JAS Gripen, but it's still not clear yet. Maybe Vietnamese posters will tell me :-)

When I said from the internet, I mean western source like this:

Su-34/Su-32FN Bomber Russia

Russia’s SU-32/34 Long-Range Strike Fighters

If you google Su-34 $36 million, then you will see many other website (mostly western) saying the same thing. It seems a bit low thats why I asked.

As for this new Ukrainian source, I think they are just copying from the old 2012 rumour report that you’ve mentioned. They even said Mig-21 can get replaced by Jas-39 like what you’ve read, so I dont think this Ukrainian source is saying anything new, they are just recycling old rumours.

@JaiMin

Oh I see. I asked because I saw you once mentioned their forum. But that forum does not have many members other than the mods and admins, so I thought you are one of them.

Are you studying in politics/international relations?

Better to delete your previous post. Its not good to mention personal details about your family member, especially in a hostile forum like this one.

ya the nghiencuuquocte itself was not many mem, mostly just translator and post all article that they find useful, but the blog was many comment though and also got link to original article and u can find useful info thier:)

No, i was not, it is becuase sometimes my father want me help him translate some of his own document or document from other professor

thank you for mention

Last edited:

only frigates no destroyers for russia navy?

I would like to see you assist Vietnam in building of frigates and destroyers. at current state, our surface warships will have hard times if facing chinese warships in open sea. Hit and run, yes, ambush yes, but in direct encounter, the Molynia won´t survice a hit of antiship missile. the Gepard may be able to swallow two. that is too little. the Gepard has air defence capacity, but I´m not too sure if the Palma system can defeat incoming chinese antiship missiles. maybe yes, maybe no. we lack of destroyers serving as command ship, as fleet and aerial defence. I know my comrades here have different opinion, but I stand for my opinion.

we need bigger and more powerful warships than the Gepards.

Nam-kienthuc-Gepard-3.jpg

Nam-kienthuc-Gepard-13.jpg

Nam-kienthuc-Gepard-6.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom