What's new

US soldiers in Bible-row in Afghanistan: Accused of proselytising

Gabbar

Reaction score
TV shows troops converting Afghans, US denies any role

KABUL: The US military denied on Monday it has allowed soldiers to try to convert Afghans to Christianity, after a television network showed
pictures of soldiers with bibles translated into local languages.

General Order Number 1 from the American military’s Central Command forbids active duty troops from trying to convert people to their religion, considered a crime in many Muslim countries.

Qatar-based Al Jazeera television showed footage filmed last year of a church service at Bagram, the main US base north of the Afghan capital Kabul, and a bible study class where soldiers had a stack of bibles in the local languages, Pashto and Dari. A military chaplain was shown delivering a sermon to other soldiers, saying: “The special forces guys — they hunt men basically. We do the same things as Christians, we hunt people for Jesus. We do, we hunt them down.”

A US military spokeswoman, Major Jennifer Willis, said the comments from the sermon were taken out of context and chaplains were told to make clear to soldiers that they could not proselytise while serving.

TV shows troops converting Afghans, US denies any role

KABUL: The US military denied on Monday it has allowed soldiers to try to convert Afghans to Christianity,

That OK mate. If their Iman was that weak than they weren't Mu'min Muslalman anyway thus it doesn't matter if they converted to Christianity or any other religion after all Islam doesn't forbid any one not convert. :)

Umm maybe it's part of new strategy lol jk.Anyway if they want to convert let them do it.They might be doing it for few bucks ;) $$.

May 05, 2009

In a startling discovery, Arabic television channel Al Jazeera has found video footage of American soldiers planning to distribute Bible printed in Pashtu and Dari languages, to locals in Afghanisthan. The books were printed and sent by a church in the US.

US law prohibits soldiers from proselytising, and its is a crime to convert anyone under Afghan law, however the soldiers said they "were allowed to give gifts."

A report on the Huffington Post website, said that the preacher urged soldiers to "hunt people for Jesus".

"The Special Forces guys, they hunt men. Basically, we do the same things as Christians. We hunt people for Jesus. We do, we hunt them down. Get the hound of heaven after them, so we get them into the Kingdom. That's what we do, that's our business," the website quoted the preacher as saying.

A Pentagon spokesman said that no Bibles were actually distributed. "That case involved a soldier who brought in a donation of translated Bibles that were sent to his personal address by his home church. He showed them to the group and the chaplain explained that he cannot distribute them," the spokeperson said.

President George Bush had created an international uproar when he referred to the "war on terror" as a "crusade."

US soldiers distributing Bibles in Afghanistan

"He showed them to the group and the chaplain explained that he cannot distribute them..."

Gotta love it...:rofl:

No surprises here. Divide, conquer and convert...

I forget to c how this is going to divide as far as i am concerned if they want to they should be allowed to i c nothing wrong with that.
People should be free to practice what they like and if Christianity is what they want more power to them.

From your very expressive response I gather you never bother to read the article.
Not surprising at all.

Your comment sounds like the 3 dumb monkeys wrapped in one, Read Nothing, Hear Nothing and Say Nothing.

Better throw in Do Nothing .. just to balance it.

:wave:

I forget to c how this is going to divide as far as i am concerned if they want to they should be allowed to i c nothing wrong with that.
People should be free to practice what they like and if Christianity is what they want more power to them.

Don't act like a juvenile. You know exactly what I meant to say. It's a metaphorical expression though. Therefore, don't take everything too literally. Wait, let me just for the fun add a couple of more free practices (as you so gently put it) for your convenience. Lie, invade, bomb, torture, rape and of course again convert... Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Nothing wrong with it. *sarc* <- for those that have difficulty in differentiating between expressive humor and actuality.

Last edited:
From your very expressive response I gather you never bother to read the article.
Not surprising at all.

Your comment sounds like the 3 dumb monkeys wrapped in one, Read Nothing, Hear Nothing and Say Nothing.

Better throw in Do Nothing .. just to balance it.

:wave:

I'm sorry r a t, but you're on the ignore mode just like a few pals of yours. It basically means that I won't bother reading or replying to your posts. Hope you don't take it the wrong way. Nonetheless, happy converting...

Last edited:
It doesn't seem likely this is US military policy. My guess is over-zealous chaplains?

Stupid either way. They should know better.

Um I am not surprised.The Jihadhi books given to these Talibans during 80's was printed in University of Nebraska :D.

Back
Top Bottom