What's new

US military accuses Chinese J-11 of unsafe interception procedures

ZeEa5KPul

Reaction score
Country
Canada

On Dec. 21 (China Standard Time), a People’s Liberation Army - Navy J-11 fighter pilot performed an unsafe maneuver during an intercept of a U.S. Air Force RC-135 aircraft, which was lawfully conducting routine operations over the South China Sea in international airspace. The PLAN pilot flew an unsafe maneuver by flying in front of and within 20 feet of the nose of the RC-135, forcing the RC-135 to take evasive maneuvers to avoid a collision.

The U.S. Indo-Pacific Joint Force is dedicated to a free and open Indo-Pacific region and will continue to fly, sail and operate at sea and in international airspace with due regard for the safety of all vessels and aircraft under international law. We expect all countries in the Indo-Pacific region to use international airspace safely and in accordance with international law.

View video here:

:omghaha::omghaha:

J-11 released a new dis track:

On Dec. 21 (China Standard Time), a People’s Liberation Army - Navy J-11 fighter pilot performed an unsafe maneuver during an intercept of a U.S. Air Force RC-135 aircraft, which was lawfully conducting routine operations over the South China Sea in international airspace. The PLAN pilot flew an unsafe maneuver by flying in front of and within 20 feet of the nose of the RC-135, forcing the RC-135 to take evasive maneuvers to avoid a collision.

The U.S. Indo-Pacific Joint Force is dedicated to a free and open Indo-Pacific region and will continue to fly, sail and operate at sea and in international airspace with due regard for the safety of all vessels and aircraft under international law. We expect all countries in the Indo-Pacific region to use international airspace safely and in accordance with international law.

View video here:

:omghaha::omghaha:

J-11 released a new dis track:

The J-11 was without drop tanks. That means the US was "inside" Chinese ADIZ and close to it's coastal areas. The international airspace isn't too far from ocean front. The international airspace starts within a few dozen miles of the oceanfront in China. Taiwan is only 110 miles away (so within a few minutes flight) so the US had to be within a 100 miles of the Chinese airspace for them to scramble this jet as a precaution. All countries do that. But the J-11 didn't need to come this close and risk an accident.

But the J-11 didn't need to come this close and risk an accident.
It was a stupid maneuver. Or we could use 'foolish'. The PLAAF did not learn the lesson of the Hainan Incident where maybe their pilots do not know how to handle air masses pushed by larger airplanes.

It was a stupid maneuver. Or we could use 'foolish'. The PLAAF did not learn the lesson of the Hainan Incident where maybe their pilots do not know how to handle air masses pushed by larger airplanes.

There have been accidents even in the NASA / USAF due to air masses and air vacuums that 4 engine airplanes create. Last time, I heard the Chinese were into barrel roles. I guess now they just come directly in front of the nose / cabin. This could result in a deadly mistake.

There have been accidents even in the NASA / USAF due to air masses and air vacuums that 4 engine airplanes create. Last time, I heard the Chinese were into barrel roles. I guess now they just come directly in front of the nose / cabin. This could result in a deadly mistake.
something like this?

PLA pilot was probably trying to showboat. If he wanted the RC-135 gone he could have just used chaff in front of the RC.

Last edited:
PLA pilot was probably trying to showboat. If he wanted the RC-135 gone he could have just used chaff in front of the RC.
No. Chaff dispense will do nothing.

something like this?

Chaff can't bring down a massive 4 engine airplane! Regardless, this was unprofessional of the Chinese pilot. I don't have the coordinates of the events, but let's say if the US was close to the Chinese shoreline and the pilot was upset at such close range activity (which happens all the time), he could've done many things professionally to signal his displeasure. Coming directly in front of another plane within a few feet is hardly smart, in fact he was risking his life for no reason as well as the crew's flying the RC-135.

Chaff can't bring down a massive 4 engine airplane! Regardless, this was unprofessional of the Chinese pilot. I don't have the coordinates of the events, but let's say if the US was close to the Chinese shoreline and the pilot was upset at such close range activity (which happens all the time), he could've done many things professionally to signal his displeasure. Coming directly in front of another plane within a few feet is hardly smart, in fact he was risking his life for no reason as well as the crew's flying the RC-135.
Purpose is to have the "massive 4 engine airplane" bugger off. Chaff will damage engines if it's sucked in. If the RC doesn't want to move and keep taking in chaff, it'll be in for some extended maintance after the mission.

that incident ended up benefiting china i think (RIP to the pilot).

china got to take apart the EP3 and returned it in boxes, and despite the crew's attempt to destroy sensitive data before landing, china got a bunch of intelligence out of it.

also, just because the us says something, doesn't make it true. there is also a video from the j-11 cockpit of this interception, it looks more like the RC-135 was veering into the j-11 based on the fact that j-11 doesnt change position relative to the clouds in the background, but the rc-135 does.

Why was a a stupid move? J11 can eject, rc135 can’t, I’d say it’s a pretty good trade.

That's what the Hainan island incident pilot thought...his body was never found.

Did you see what happened to the Chinese pilot?

Sure. As we were inverted going in a dive towards the ocean, I remember looking out and seeing half of his jet -- the front half, because [the prop] cut him in half -- with flames shooting out of the back of it screaming towards the earth. I remember going, "Wow he's in a bad way." I just remember thinking we were falling at the same rate he was, so I knew we had to be falling at 10,000 feet per minute easily. It was like looking at Vietnam War footage. That's what it reminded me of.

Last edited:
That's what the Hainan island incident pilot thought...his body was never found.

Did you see what happened to the Chinese pilot?

Sure. As we were inverted going in a dive towards the ocean, I remember looking out and seeing half of his jet -- the front half, because [the prop] cut him in half -- with flames shooting out of the back of it screaming towards the earth. I remember going, "Wow he's in a bad way." I just remember thinking we were falling at the same rate he was, so I knew we had to be falling at 10,000 feet per minute easily. It was like looking at Vietnam War footage. That's what it reminded me of.
If you’re afraid then don’t be a soldier. A good gamble is still a gamble.

Back
Top Bottom