What's new

US Indicts 5 for Illegal Exports to Pakistan's Nuclear Weapons Program

The real leverage that America has over any country is the American consumer market. Pakistan exports more to the US than to any other country. It has a favorable trade balance with the states. This is all the leverage that US needs.
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/chin...to-pakistan-under-cpfta.649899/#post-12024812

Things like these will start to cover up for whatever consumer market we have access too. Its going to take some time but will happen now that we have started working towards shifting our exports.

That is the point. It's not an official ban but you might as well call it a ban since US doesn't approve applications anymore.

I wanted to get a visa a few months ago, the travel agents who helped with this sort of thing and one of my friend looked at me funny as if i said something stupid. They said it's "impossible" to get a visa to US. You can file an application and waste money and time if you want but they never reply or approve it. I worked for a US company at the time and they wanted me to visit LOL, big effing LOL.

Pakistan is a strategic partner of US lol. Imagine what the rest of Muslim countries get treated like. US probably don't want to officially announce the ban for bad image and media talk.

As for the wall, isn't it happening? Don't have any interest so i don't know much about it sorry.

1. Frankly, I don't give a shit whether Pakistanis are allowed to go to US or not. I will be happy if all relations are cut to zero.

2. Pakistan is not a strategic partner of US. Pakistan is a strategic partner of China.

3. The US is all talk. There is no big wall and the Muslim ban cannot even be implemented.

This non-story is intended to further poison relations between the US and Pakistan as the former cozies up to India. The US is now firmly behind India for a number of reasons.
  • India must be prevented from joining an unstoppable India-China-Russia axis in Asia. The China-Russia axis is already America's biggest foreign policy challenge and an unexpected one--it was not thought possible that the two great powers would ever overcome their mutual suspicion and geopolitical differences but they did. Already a historical ally of Russia, India could well be recruited into this partnership through significant Chinese concessions unless the US acts forcefully to prevent it.
  • India's anti-Islam BJP government leans closer to Israel than past governments and will continue to pose diplomatic and cultural challenges to Muslim countries over time. Pan-Islamic organizations like the OIC that have long maintained an anti-Israel consensus are now distracted and divided by, among other things, pro-India and anti-India factions as demonstrated by Pakistan vs Arab infighting and Arab vs Turkey/Iran/Malaysia infighting.
  • India's pressure on and attention to Pakistan will slow China's attempt to build a link between its land-locked western region and the Arabian sea at Gwadar which is an alternative and potentially more lucrative trade route than the Straits of Malacca bottleneck.
  • India is a poor country but its tech prowess is formidable. India is an important source of talent in the US tech industry in its fight to maintain overall supremacy over China. Recent China attempts to build global alternatives to US software giants (i.e. Google's Android) by lobbying for Indian government and industry support is complicated by Indian-American leadership at US firms like Google, Microsoft, and Adobe.

the US is behind India ever since its largest corporations decided to move its offices and manufacturing to india since 90s and in 2000s. did u not see the pressler amendment? did u not see 1999 kargil aupport to india ? did u not see a blind eye to indian nuke explosion of 70s...

why dont pakistanis see it ??? US was with you in destabilizing the region not in peace ..

That is such nonsense. There is no need for Pakistan to do this as it can get whatever it wants from its strategic partner China who is much more advance in nuclear materials compared to US. Why go for antiquated technology from an old man US.

Question isnt about foreign companies violating laws but rather when it suits US agenda it conveniently turns a blind eye specially towards India and i am not even stating Israel but for Pakistan we come under a microscope. If you want to talk about being fair and square than lets start with countries like US accepting Pakistan as a nuclear power and giving it access to NSG as they did to India. They have one yard stick for India and entirely another for Pakistan why? US is the only country which continues to object to Pakistan's access to NSG.
They have always subjected Pakistan to sanctions after soviet withdrawal and more so after our nuclear tests. They only removed them when it suited them or they were unable to deter Pakistan from becoming a nuclear power.
Being in FATF grey already puts us at a loss of 10 billion a year,
https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...owing-fatf-grey-list/articleshow/68697831.cms
Black listing isnt US prerogative alone because it will need the required number of votes. If it would had been up to US and India we would had been black listed a long ago if not for our friends Turkey, China & Malaysia. Now with the backing of SA and UAE, we will get out of the grey list. So this isnt something US can continue to blackmail us with because they have already done that.
I agree on the compromise part however compromises arent to be made unilaterally. US will have to play its part as well after all International diplomacy isnt a zero sum game.
Bro,

Pakistan and USA have a complicated bilateral relationship. This is due to numerous factors including Afghanistan.

[1] There are people in Pakistan who positively perceive USA and then there are people in Pakistan who negatively perceive USA.

[2] There are people in USA who positively perceive Pakistan and then there are people in USA who negatively perceive Pakistan.

Due to [1] and [2], opinion about this bilateral relationship is MIXED in both countries. However, there is a way forward for both countries, and Pakistan needs to step up its lobbying efforts in USA. Khan administration has pulled some strings in USA but more should be on cards.

You see Trump administration openly talk about investing in Pakistan but what is the response of our leadership? Not much. All WE hear about is CPEC this and CPEC that.

Tourism is also a method to market Pakistan in a positive way to foreign audiences. To increase people-to-people level contacts.

I agree that USA have its share of negativity towards Pakistan but benefits in a bilateral relationship are not for FREE from any country in the world. In fact, greatest lie ever told to Pakistani awaam is that Pakistan - China bilateral relations have no political strings involved whatsoever. China have its own share of political strings which are to be respected for Pakistan to receive its political and military-related benefits. However, these strings are rather hushed up in Pakistani media because China will respond harshly.

Many in Pakistan also largely overlook problems stemming from Pakistan itself vis-a-vis USA. Hussain Haqqani was a choice for ambassadorship which spectacularly backfired on Pakistan. Did Pakistani establishment penalize anybody for this worthy appointment?

Pakistani political crisis is a CAN-of-WORMS for some countries to deal with. Corruption is also a major issue which deter foreign investments in Pakistan. This is why introspection is a need of the hour. Nobody is a saint in these relations, or do you honestly think that Americans are EVIL people in general and out to get us?

In regards to FATF, you can say that USA rigged its voting process to get Pakistan in its Grey List with coersion and threats. Turkey, China and Malaysia - each was threatened with consequences. It is utterly foolish to assume that these three countries are virtually immune to American coersion and threats. Now that Pakistan is complying with FATF grey list conditions, Washington DC will allow Pakistan to be bailed from it. Anybody who think otherwise is too naive.

Last, WE cannot realistically expect USA or even China to be an enemy of India for the sake of being in the good books of Pakistan at large. Our problems with India are our own, and no foreign country will toe our line in this respect for indefinite period. This point has been often raised in foreign discussions that Pakistan should not try to manage its bilateral relations with other countries through the lens of Kashmir.

Last edited:
2. Pakistan is not a strategic partner of US. Pakistan is a strategic partner of China.

https://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/20...joy-strategic-partnership-despite-highs-lows/

He's more credible than you. He's a federal minister.

3. the Muslim ban cannot even be implemented.

You just don't get it. There is a ban. The hell does it matter if it's officially announced or not.

I told you as a Pakistani - Pakistan a country much better in every aspect from the other Muslim countries proposed in ban, a country that's officially a partner - are banned from visiting US.

What part of this you don't understand? It's a ban.

I can fly to China tonight, i can fly to Dubai within a few hours. There's no ban. I am welcome there.

I can't fly to America even when an American company wants me to visit them.

Some people are just thick headed.

US Indicts 5 for Illegal Exports to Pakistan's Nuclear Weapons Program
By Masood Farivar
January 15, 2020 03:41 PM

reu_doj.jpg

FILE - A general view of the Department of Justice building is seen in Washington, Feb 1, 2018.

WASHINGTON - Five Pakistani businessmen have been indicted in the United States for operating an international network of front companies to export U.S.-origin goods to Pakistan for use in that country’s nuclear weapons program, the Justice Department announced on Wednesday.

The defendants bought and exported U.S.-origin items for Pakistan’s Advanced Engineering Research Organization and the Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission without export licenses, according to a federal indictment unsealed on Wednesday.

In all, the indictment identified 38 illegal nuclear-related exports from the U.S. to Pakistan involving 29 different companies around the United States between September 2014 and October 2019. None of the U.S. companies was found complicit in the unlawful exports.

The defendants, all associates of a Rawalpindi, Pakistan-based front company called “Business World,” were charged in federal court in New Hampshire with conspiracy to violate the International Emergency Economic Powers Act and the Export Control Reform Act.

They were identified as Muhammad Kamran Wali, 41, of Pakistan; Muhammad Ahsan Wali, 48, and Haji Wali Muhammad Sheikh, 82, both of Mississauga, Ontario, Canada; Ashraf Khan Muhammad of Hong Kong; and Ahmed Waheed, 52, of Ilford, Essex, United Kingdom. None of them has been arrested although arrests warrants are pending.

The two Pakistani entities — AERO and PAEC — are on the U.S. Commerce Department’s list of companies required to hold export licenses because their activities are deemed contrary to U.S. national security or foreign policy interests.

PAEC was added to the list in 1998 after Pakistan carried out a series of underground nuclear tests. AERO was included in 2014 after the U.S. found that it had used intermediaries and front companies to acquire goods for Pakistan’s cruise missile and strategic UAV programs, the Justice Department said.

“This indictment puts the world on notice not to do business with these defendants and demonstrates our commitment to holding them accountable,” said John Demers, assistant attorney general for national security, said in a statement.

“It also stands as an example of the kind of deceptive behavior U.S. businesses need to watch out for in designing appropriate export control and sanctions compliance programs.”

https://www.voanews.com/usa/us-indicts-5-illegal-exports-pakistans-nuclear-weapons-program
So u can buy the product from a company and it ask no questions and that's fine. But once you own it you can export it and no questions asked. However if the components end up in Pakistan its illicit. Ummm

It is a lesson for Iran. Don't ever let another nation (big or small) dictate to you whether you can or can not have nukes.

I think you meant to say:
It is a lesson for Pakistan. Don't ever let another nation (big or small) dictate to you whether you can or can not have nukes

THis is an embarrasment and lesson only for Pakistan- Pakistan tries to make ally/get benefits out of its relationship with US but often ends up getting rejected, like in this case.

And what leverage does US have over Pakistan? Last we checked they were the ones begging Pakistan not to go for CHinese style and rather US with grants etc. Lol. That is the extent of their leverage left against Pakistan. So nothing they can do is going to hurt Pakistan more than what they havent already done in the past including sanctions, putting Pakistan in FATF etc.

Pakistan has yet to face any sanctions for US, but if it tries to trap its military in Afghanistan, the gloves will come off.

:cray:
The wannabe American is back to speak on behalf of his master

Not wannabe American, but I'm American of Indian-origin. I have been here since 1976. Nevertheless, a Pakistani would lecture anybody about speaking on behalf of his master. We all know Pakistan has several masters of its own. :disagree:

Open your eyes gangu. China is already massively allowing Pak goods to enter their market. Very soon US bragging rights are going to be demolished.

The US has to beg Pakistan to go for US loans instead of Chinese trade and projects LOL Try denying that.

I don't know that this has anything to what I said or what you said but okay...

Pakistan has yet to face any sanctions for US, but if it tries to trap its military in Afghanistan, the gloves will come off.
They have put Pakistan in the grey list have they not costing 10 billion annually? They have suspended all money even the one owed to us under coalition support. All military support was suspended including training of Pakistan army. Point being Pakistan has faced sanctions in the past post soviet withdrawal to until 9/11 when they were lifted and now are being slowly imposed back. We are well aware and hence why are no longer dependent on the US the way we were during the 80s & 90s. We have already put in place a mechanism to deal in local currencies and barter trade instead of US dollar. Our defense is no longer US centric. If the US could they would had taken the proverbial gloves off a long time ago but than again they also know the consequences of doing such while being in Afghanistan.

Last edited:
Nothing will happen. Pakistan has no leverage over US anymore after the latter has decided to exit Afghanistan. If Pakistan does something like what you suggest, it will end badly for Pakistan.

Pakistan still has leverage over US as long as they are in Afghanistan. Pakistan has done something like that in the past and there is Nothing US can do to Pakistan anymore because there is nothing that US gives to Pakistan but its Pakistan giving US access to Afghanistan.

This non-story is intended to further poison relations between the US and Pakistan as the former cozies up to India. The US is now firmly behind India for a number of reasons.
  • India must be prevented from joining an unstoppable India-China-Russia axis in Asia. The China-Russia axis is already America's biggest foreign policy challenge and an unexpected one--it was not thought possible that the two great powers would ever overcome their mutual suspicion and geopolitical differences but they did. Already a historical ally of Russia, India could well be recruited into this partnership through significant Chinese concessions unless the US acts forcefully to prevent it.
  • India's anti-Islam BJP government leans closer to Israel than past governments and will continue to pose diplomatic and cultural challenges to Muslim countries over time. Pan-Islamic organizations like the OIC that have long maintained an anti-Israel consensus are now distracted and divided by, among other things, pro-India and anti-India factions as demonstrated by Pakistan vs Arab infighting and Arab vs Turkey/Iran/Malaysia infighting.
  • India's pressure on and attention to Pakistan will slow China's attempt to build a link between its land-locked western region and the Arabian sea at Gwadar which is an alternative and potentially more lucrative trade route than the Straits of Malacca bottleneck.
  • India is a poor country but its tech prowess is formidable. India is an important source of talent in the US tech industry in its fight to maintain overall supremacy over China. Recent China attempts to build global alternatives to US software giants (i.e. Google's Android) by lobbying for Indian government and industry support is complicated by Indian-American leadership at US firms like Google, Microsoft, and Adobe.

India's tech industry? yeah right, those $1 per hour developers in the gig economy.LMAO

https://www.opindia.com/2020/01/us-...front-canada-illegal-export-nuclear-pakistan/

US court charges five Pakistani men illegally exporting nuclear material for Pakistan’s nuclear program

The indictment identified a total of 38 illegal nuclear-related exports from 29 US companies to Pakistan between September 2014 and October 2019, the Justice Department announced on Wednesday.

JANUARY 17, 2020
pakistan-nuclear.jpg

Representational image, Pakistan's Nuclear weapons, image via Modern Diplomacy

Five businessmen from Pakistan have been indicted in the United States for operating an international network of front companies to export US origin products to the terrorist state of Pakistan for use in that country’s nuclear program.

According to reports, the five Pakistani men transported the goods to Pakistan’s Advanced Engineering Research Organization and the Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission without export licenses, according to the indictment of a federal court in New Hampshire.

The indictment identified a total of 38 illegal nuclear-related exports from 29 US companies to Pakistan between September 2014 and October 2019, the Justice Department announced on Wednesday.

The five indicted men are identified as 41-year-old Muhammad Kamran Wali living in Pakistan, 48-year-old Muhammad Ahsan Wali and 82-year-old Haji Wali Muhammad Sheikh, a father-son duo from Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. Ashraf Khan Muhammad of Hong Kong and Ahmed Waheed of Ilford, Essex, United Kingdom have also been indicted.

However, none of them has been arrested and arrest warrants are pending.

Sidhant Sibal@sidhant

Just in: US indicts 5 people for aiding Pakistan's nuclear programme. Big news by my colleague @akashrai_3575.

2:27 PM - Jan 17, 2020 · New Delhi, India
Twitter Ads info and privacy

68 people are talking about this

Reportedly, the defendants attempted to hide the destinations of the exports in Pakistan by using their network of front companies as importers and end-users.

The accused Pakistani men, who lived in Pakistan, Canada, Hong Kong and England, were charged in federal court in New Hampshire, where three of the US companies are based, with conspiracy to violate US export control laws. None of the US companies were found to be complicit in unlawful exports.

The two Pakistani entities, AERO and PAEC are on the US Commerce Department’s list of companies required to hold export licenses because their activities are deemed contrary to US national security or foreign policy interests.

The Pakistan Aerospace Council (PAEC) is an organisation for enterprises active in the aerospace, defence and high tech electronics market. PAEC was added to the list in 1998 after Pakistan carried out a series of underground nuclear tests in response to Indian nuclear tests.

Advanced Engineering Research Organisation (AERO) was included in 2014 after the US found that it had used intermediaries and front companies to acquire goods for Pakistan’s cruise missile and strategic unmanned aerial vehicle programs, the Justice Department said.

“The defendants smuggled US-origin goods to entities that have been designated for years as threats to US national security for their ties to Pakistan’s weapons programs,” John Demers, assistant attorney general for national security, said in a statement.

“This indictment puts the world on notice not to do business with these defendants and demonstrates our commitment to holding them accountable,” Demers said.

“It also stands as an example of the kind of deceptive behaviour US businesses need to watch out for in designing appropriate export control and sanctions compliance programs,” he added in his statement.

The indictment stemmed from counter nuclear proliferation efforts by investigative agencies within the departments of Justice, Commerce, Homeland Security and Defense. Jason Molina, acting special agent in charge, Homeland Security Investigations, said the agency’s counterproliferation group proactively conducts investigations into violations of US export-import licensing because of the threat they can pose to US national security.

The accused persons allegedly received over $140,000 in wire transfers from a Pakistani bank account controlled by AERO and held in the name of the alleged front company Business World, in a Rawalpindi branch. Those funds were then allegedly used to pay American companies to export the goods from an account in Canada held in the name of the same front company.

Back
Top Bottom