What's new

US Army chooses the V-280 to replace the Black Hawk helicopter

F-22Raptor

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States

1670279447070.png

Cool, I personally liked the Defiant X better. V-280 seems to require a large area for landing/take off.

This will make Army pilots shall we say 'better' than regular pilots because now Army pilots will have two set of piloting skills: that of rotary wings when the 280 upturn its props and that of fixed wings when the props are horizontal. They are going to rub it in, for sure. :lol:

There are members here turning blue explaining how superior Blackhawk is to competition due to "painful" evolution.
Why would they want to replace an un-paralleled machine?

There are members here turning blue explaining how superior Blackhawk is to competition due to "painful" evolution.
Why would they want to replace an un-paralleled machine?
When the jet engine came out, some predicted the end of the prop jobbers. Did not happened. Same will be for the helos.

The US army just selected the V-280 for the FLRAA program, twice the range and speed.

Will China follow suit? Perhaps reviving the Mil Mi-30 or a design inspired by the research from that design or a totally new design?

Is this a harbinger of things to come in military aviation?

This is huge! @F-22Raptor @Bilal Khan (Quwa)
That is 3000 UH-60s to replace - even if they get half of it that is $15 billion or more easy

I have read somewhere that the complete UH-60 fleet is not going to be replaced, but the FLRAA is supposed to augment the UH-60 fleet and plug in the gaps where they are (more specifically keeping in mind the Chinese threat.

I have read somewhere that the complete UH-60 fleet is not going to be replaced, but the FLRAA is supposed to augment the UH-60 fleet and plug in the gaps where they are (more specifically keeping in mind the Chinese threat.
It is likely that the numbers may end up limited to 1000 - with newer Uh-60 variants still in service 40-50 years from now. But that is still not a small number because then exports will take over.

I’m now curious to see what they select for FARA - it is possible they may divide that contract because that is how that industry operates and not all eggs are put in one basket.

I’m now curious to see what they select for FARA - it is possible they may divide that contract because that is how that industry operates and not all eggs are put in one basket.

Which is why all publications and forums indicate that the Sikorsky design is in the lead.

But that also has something to do with the US Army going for a change in design of their platforms, focusing more on the tilt rotor (or the combined rotor concept with a pusher prop and a coaxial rotor).

It is likely that the numbers may end up limited to 1000 - with newer Uh-60 variants still in service 40-50 years from now. But that is still not a small number because then exports will take over.

They need to keep both major helicopter manufacturers viable with enough work and funding so R&D projects remain competitive for decades to come. It’s probably also why we saw Northrop get the B-21 program while Lockheed makes fighters.

That's Ridiculous. V-280 looks absolute dogshit.
Doesn't even have the same combat radius than a Blackhawk.

Muh Based Blackhawks

Back
Top Bottom