What's new

China's Z-20 helicopter surpasses Black Hawk in technologies, chief designer says

beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
China's Z-20 helicopter surpasses Black Hawk in technologies, chief designer says
By Liu Xuanzun
Published: Oct 30, 2022 06:02 PM

470a58a1-bbc9-4f8a-aa13-b557357b2adb.jpeg

Pilots assigned to an army aviation brigade under the PLA 76th Group Army maintain their helicopters in nearly motionless flight over a reference point at an ultra-low altitude before lifting off for a flight training exercise on January 5, 2022.Photo:China Military

China's domestically developed Z-20 utility helicopter has surpassed the US' Black Hawk, as it has adopted many advanced technologies the Black Hawk does not have, said the chief designer of the Chinese chopper on state broadcaster China Central Television (CCTV).

Deng Jinghui made the remarks when he was asked on a CCTV program on Saturday if the Z-20 has copied or drawn inspiration from the Black Hawk, given the similarity in appearance between the two helicopters.

The Z-20 is a fourth-generation helicopter that has many technologies the Black Hawk does not have, including a fly-by-wire flight control system, which is a typical characteristic to make a helicopter ranking among the fourth generation, Deng said.

China had no reference when it developed the fly-by-wire flight control system on its own - even now the Black Hawk with fly-by-wire upgrades has not entered service, the chief designer said.

The Black Hawk is not equipped with active control systems of noise and vibration like the Z-20 does either, he said.

"It is not [the Z-20] that has copied the Black Hawk, it is the Z-20 that has surpassed the Black Hawk," Deng said.

Chen Guang, vice general manager of AVICOPTER, the helicopter branch of the state-owned Aviation Industry Corporation of China (AVIC), told the Global Times in a previous interview that the Z-20, including its powerful engine that can support high-altitude operations, is entirely developed and built by China.

Many technological innovations were applied to the Z-20, and the active vibration control, fly-by-wire, low-noise rotor design and high-performance rotor aerodynamic design are considered advanced in the world, the Global Times learned from the helicopter's makers.

As a type of utility helicopter, the Z-20 is expected to spawn many variants and enter service in different military arms and branches in large numbers just like the Black Hawk, a Chinese military expert who requested anonymity told the Global Times on Sunday.

According to official media reports, after the Z-20 made its debut at the National Day military parade on October 1, 2019 in Beijing, helicopters of this type have already entered service with the PLA Army, Navy, Air Force and the Chinese People's Armed Police Force.

By Liu Xuanzun
Published: Oct 30, 2022 06:02 PM

470a58a1-bbc9-4f8a-aa13-b557357b2adb.jpeg

Pilots assigned to an army aviation brigade under the PLA 76th Group Army maintain their helicopters in nearly motionless flight over a reference point at an ultra-low altitude before lifting off for a flight training exercise on January 5, 2022.Photo:China Military

China's domestically developed Z-20 utility helicopter has surpassed the US' Black Hawk, as it has adopted many advanced technologies the Black Hawk does not have, said the chief designer of the Chinese chopper on state broadcaster China Central Television (CCTV).

Deng Jinghui made the remarks when he was asked on a CCTV program on Saturday if the Z-20 has copied or drawn inspiration from the Black Hawk, given the similarity in appearance between the two helicopters.

The Z-20 is a fourth-generation helicopter that has many technologies the Black Hawk does not have, including a fly-by-wire flight control system, which is a typical characteristic to make a helicopter ranking among the fourth generation, Deng said.

China had no reference when it developed the fly-by-wire flight control system on its own - even now the Black Hawk with fly-by-wire upgrades has not entered service, the chief designer said.

The Black Hawk is not equipped with active control systems of noise and vibration like the Z-20 does either, he said.

"It is not [the Z-20] that has copied the Black Hawk, it is the Z-20 that has surpassed the Black Hawk," Deng said.

Chen Guang, vice general manager of AVICOPTER, the helicopter branch of the state-owned Aviation Industry Corporation of China (AVIC), told the Global Times in a previous interview that the Z-20, including its powerful engine that can support high-altitude operations, is entirely developed and built by China.

Many technological innovations were applied to the Z-20, and the active vibration control, fly-by-wire, low-noise rotor design and high-performance rotor aerodynamic design are considered advanced in the world, the Global Times learned from the helicopter's makers.

As a type of utility helicopter, the Z-20 is expected to spawn many variants and enter service in different military arms and branches in large numbers just like the Black Hawk, a Chinese military expert who requested anonymity told the Global Times on Sunday.

According to official media reports, after the Z-20 made its debut at the National Day military parade on October 1, 2019 in Beijing, helicopters of this type have already entered service with the PLA Army, Navy, Air Force and the Chinese People's Armed Police Force.

yes ... in other words. its Blackhawk that copied the Chinese Design,. I mean the Earth axes do change. and Mega Solar flares do cause massive disruption on Earth Life

yes ... in other words. its Blackhawk that copied the Chinese Design,. I mean the Earth axes do change. and Mega Solar flares do cause massive disruption on Earth Life
Well, it may be true to the Blackhawk I flew on back in the early 2000s or the one that Afghan use that was built on 1987. (That's the same batch we sold to China before Tiananmen Square incident).

These folks have no idea what a Modern Blackhawk (or straightly speaking, Pavehawk) can do. I can't say much either but I can tell you, Pavehawk is a CSAR chopper, which mean it was supposed to used in high enemy activities environment and expected to survive alone without air cover and behind enemy line....

On the other hand, do China even have a CSAR unit that can do that? I don't know...

I won't be surprised, since Z-20 is a much newer product than the Black hawk, much more recent technological breakthroughs are available and can be introduced to Z-20

Well, it may be true to the Blackhawk I flew on back in the early 2000s or the one that Afghan use that was built on 1987. (That's the same batch we sold to China before Tiananmen Square incident).

These folks have no idea what a Modern Blackhawk (or straightly speaking, Pavehawk) can do. I can't say much either but I can tell you, Pavehawk is a CSAR chopper, which mean it was supposed to used in high enemy activities environment and expected to survive alone without air cover and behind enemy line....

On the other hand, do China even have a CSAR unit that can do that? I don't know...
dont remind me about blackhawk.
its like a scar on our conscience, when a certain stealthy types flew into Abbottabad and one one them had to be handed over back in a back of a truck while a Chinook (missed out from the Zero dark 30 movie) flew in to pick up the rest of the stuff from a place a certain tall individual was living along with his goats, hens and wives made a stopover to Terbela base in Pakistan before flying away while my friends in Abbottabad was wondering what actually did happen.

dont remind me about blackhawk.
its like a scar on our conscience, when a certain stealthy types flew into Abbottabad and one one them had to be handed over back in a back of a truck while a Chinook (missed out from the Zero dark 30 movie) flew in to pick up the rest of the stuff from a place a certain tall individual was living along with his goats, hens and wives made a stopover to Terbela base in Pakistan before flying away while my friends in Abbottabad was wondering what actually did happen.
shh......that thing does not exist, at least according to our Chinese friend here......

Anyway, did you guys at least have a good look at that thing?? Or well, what's left of that.

shh......that thing does not exist, at least according to our Chinese friend here......

Anyway, did you guys at least have a good look at that thing?? Or well, what's left of that.

Our army military officers do not think that far ahead we have the stupidest officers corps, so the answer is no.

From 1979 to 1989, the United States sold numerous weapons systems to China, most notably the S-70 (UH-60) helicopter, which in its various incarnations is best known as the Black Hawk. 24 of these iconic staples of American soldiering were exported to the People's Republic of China for a cool $140 million. After the U.S. stopped selling arms to China over the communist nation’s slaughter of unarmed student protestors, Sikorsky ceased technical support for the exported helos.

Well I hope it surpasses the Blackhawk, since it came out 30 years later.
Most Chinese weapons are very new, cause China only got sufficient funds, resources and technological knowhow in recent years, but it also shows how fast China is catching up, in many new fields like AI, dornes and hypersonic weapons, China is already at the forefront, bypassing cold war legacy weapons which will be fading out in the history.

From 1979 to 1989, the United States sold numerous weapons systems to China, most notably the S-70 (UH-60) helicopter, which in its various incarnations is best known as the Black Hawk. 24 of these iconic staples of American soldiering were exported to the People's Republic of China for a cool $140 million. After the U.S. stopped selling arms to China over the communist nation’s slaughter of unarmed student protestors, Sikorsky ceased technical support for the exported helos.
That and the blackhawk we sold to Hong Kong Government Flying Service (Well, we sold them to RAAFHK before turnover and GFS inherited them) Those Blackhawk are probably later version than the one we sold to the PLA directly. And I am not really sure what happened to those Blackhawk, probably send to China either as an entire frame or for spare

. whether or not its politically useful (for Americans) to admit openly but Pakistani military is pro American and is independent of our alleged "Iron brotherhood" with the CCP.

we handed it over promptly because we were unofficially onboard but begged Americans not to make it public. the American Chinook that came for relief came all the way to a Pakistani base near our capital to take the rest of the things back that couldn't be packed up in the surviving Black Hawk.
the Navy SEALs blew up the downed Blackhawk as an SOP but even if they didn't it would've been returned back. despite some misgivings and distrust we continue to work together, if you know Michael Scheuer (CIA) you might have come across his views about ISI, Gen Musharraf and the Pak military.
this relationship is justified, fast forward few years later the American resident "guests" at a particular Pakistani airforce base (holding the F-16 block 52 ) brought sweets with broad smiles on their faces when their American made F-16 downed the Russian top of the line fighter jet dubbed "Raptor of the East" by your new found chums :) as those AMRAAMS came handy to deflate the inflated Vegetarian balloon.

the Chinook story is conveniently forgotten to ensure that the story holds about Pakistani leadership ignorance. but still that didn't help since the Pakistani Taliban took revenge on Pakistan (for its involvement in this operation) by killing 100+ Pakistanis almost every day for over a year including attacks on Pakistani military bases.

Our army military officers do not think that far ahead we have the stupidest officers corps, so the answer is no.
easy now. don't feel so butt hurt for Imran Khan. he is sorted and will make a deal with establishment through President or the electables still in his party.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom