What's new

Update: Iran Presidential Election 2017 - Rouhani is re-elected for second term

OldTwilight

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
Presidential elections are scheduled to be held in Iran on 19 May 2017. It will be the twelfth presidential election in Iran. Local elections will be held alongside of this election.

Eligibility
Any Iranian citizen born in Iran, believing in God and the official religion of Iran (Islam), who has always been loyal to the Constitution and is above 21 years of age may register as a presidential candidate. An institution called the Election Monitoring Agency (EMA) and managed by the Guardian Council vets registered candidates (in the 2009 election 36,000 people signed up as candidates) and selects a handful to run in the election. The Guardian Council does not announce publicly the reason for rejections of particular candidates although those reasons are explained to each candidate.

Electoral law
One of the issues that has been raised in the pre-election debate over electoral reforms, especially regarding enforcement, situations of candidates. Executive of elections under previous law was ministry of interior (Government) and there were statements about changing of maintaining law. In addition, the law provided that the candidates must be political men and the meaning of men was not known. The changes began after the protests to the previous election. According to Iranian law, candidates more than 75 years old are eligible to run but their health issues must be checked by the Guardian Council.

Timeline
According to the official dates announced on 1 April 2017 by the Ministry of Interior:

• 11 April - Start of the election process with the Minister of the Interior's order.
  • 11–13 April - Establishment of Executive Boards by governors.
  • 11–15 April – The official time of candidates registration.
  • 15 April – The time for registration will be ended at 18:00 IRDT.
  • 16 April – The Guardian Council will start vetting the registered candidates.
  • 21 April – The Guardian Council will address the possible objections from disqualified candidates.
  • 26–27 April – The final list of candidates will be announced.
  • 28 April – Official propagation campaigns for the final candidates will begin.
  • 17 May – End of campaigns.
  • 19 May – Election date.
Candidates

Major Candidates :

Hassan Rouhani - President of Iran (campaign)
86px-Hassan_Rouhani_in_Saadabad.jpg

Hamid Baqai - Former Vice President of Iran - Supported by Mahmoud Ahmadi Nejad
101px-Hamid_Baqai.JPG

Ebrahim Raisi - Trustee, Chairman of Astan Quds Razavi
102px-Ebrahim_Raeesi_2_cropped.jpg

Side Note : Mahmoud Ahmadi Nejad has been advised by Supreme Leader of Iran to not participated in this election and so if he enter this election , then its more likly that he won't be approved by The Guardian Council ...

Other candidate are just for show , so I won't talk about them ...

Very informative thread about elections in brotherly country Islamic Republic of Iran ..........brother , can you tell which candidate is most popular and likely to win among th mentioned? According to the news we get here Mr Hasan Rouhani has made lot of achievements as President of Iran but may be people like to see a new President this time !

may be people like to see a new President this time
I am one of them bro, this government violated our principles by shaking John Kerry's bloody hands. I hope people would come to this reality that west is a backstabber!.

No one deserves presidency among those guys, i hope this guy comes to the scene :
13920208150143193443983.jpg

Very informative thread about elections in brotherly country Islamic Republic of Iran ..........brother , can you tell which candidate is most popular and likely to win among th mentioned? According to the news we get here Mr Hasan Rouhani has made lot of achievements as President of Iran but may be people like to see a new President this time !

He is disaster for Iranian ( at least for me and who has same opinion as me ) ... He just won previous election with 50.7 % votes and his popularity decreased significantly ....

probably Baqaei won't be approved by The Guardian Council because he was in jail tile past year but some people say he is just a cover for Ahmadi Nejad main candidate ....

Raeisi is new in this game and he didn't show much ...

in summary we have these sides in next election :
Reformist/Technocrat/The Rich and Capitalist and liberals and Royalist -- who support -- Rouhani

Conservatives / Revolutionist / Religious people --- who are divided among themselves --- probably will support ---> Raeisi

poor people / angry people ------ who support Ahamadi Nejad and his candidate --- > Baqaei

---------------------------------
UK and West are supporting Rouhani and actively begin to use their propaganda machine and social media to support him ...

https://www.voanews.com/a/new-unite...ll-delayed-concern-iran-election/3796761.html

they simply stop new sanction bill to not weaken Rouhani stand and if Rouhani wins , they will shower Iran with sanction because Rouhani is pro west and see usa as righteous Lord of the world ....

I am one of them bro, this government violated our principles by shaking John Kerry's bloody hands. I hope people would come to this reality that west is a backstabber!.

No one deserves presidency among those guys, i hope this guy comes to the scene :
View attachment 389021

well , I'm against him mostly due his economic policy and his lies .... last night I went to buy Tomato and the price was 5000 Toman per killo ( 1.25 $ ) but last year it was 1000-1500 Toman ( 0.25 $ to 0.3 $ ) and Rouhani comes to TV and say I make economic better and this government is best in past 100 years ....

This whole "election" is a show my Iranian brother.
Guardian counsil selects a handful people based on vague reasons... Mostly the people they select are friends who are somehow connected with the establishment (reformist or not). You can be the most brilliant, best educated, having the best plans for the country, but you'll never go through the filter of Guardian/clerical counsil.

These fake elections were also held in ex-soviet countries.

Ahmadinejad = caner (1/10)
Baqaei = more cancer (1/10)

Rouhani = very weak and inefficient (5/10)
Ghalibaf (if comes) = good (8/10)
Ezatallh Zarghami = good (8/10)
Saeid Jalili = good (7/10)
Golam Ali Haddad = good (7/10)
Ali Akabar Velayati = great (9/10)
Qasim Soleimani (if comes) = greet (10/10)
Mohammed Reza Bahonar = mediocre (5/10)

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom