Unreleased images of Mars's moons Phobos and Deimos from Mars Orbiter Mission

Inqhilab

Reaction score
Country
India
20150203_phobos_mcc_overmars_20141014.png
20150203_phobos_mcc_onmars_20141014.png

20150203_deimos_mcc_20141014.png

There has not been very much news out of the Mars Orbiter Mission since the Siding Spring flyby last October. Today I'm excited to show you some previously unreleased images from Mars Orbiter Mission, containing Mars' moons Phobos and Deimos, which were also taken in October. Some of these photos were included ina Lunar and Planetary Science Conference abstract(PDF), which also mentioned that the Mars Colour Camera has returned a total of 250 images as of the time of the abstract submission. I contacted the Mars Colour Camera's head scientist, Ashutosh Arya, for permission to post the images of Mars' moons here, and he kindly shared these versions with me. According toa second abstract submitted to LPSC(PDF), the Mars Colour Camera team does eventually plan to make all images public in a format compatible with NASA's Planetary Data System, although they did not specify a schedule for the data release.

Mars Orbiter Mission images Mars' moons, including the far side of Deimos | The Planetary Society

20150203_phobos_mcc_overmars_20141014.png
20150203_phobos_mcc_onmars_20141014.png

20150203_deimos_mcc_20141014.png

There has not been very much news out of the Mars Orbiter Mission since the Siding Spring flyby last October. Today I'm excited to show you some previously unreleased images from Mars Orbiter Mission, containing Mars' moons Phobos and Deimos, which were also taken in October. Some of these photos were included ina Lunar and Planetary Science Conference abstract(PDF), which also mentioned that the Mars Colour Camera has returned a total of 250 images as of the time of the abstract submission. I contacted the Mars Colour Camera's head scientist, Ashutosh Arya, for permission to post the images of Mars' moons here, and he kindly shared these versions with me. According toa second abstract submitted to LPSC(PDF), the Mars Colour Camera team does eventually plan to make all images public in a format compatible with NASA's Planetary Data System, although they did not specify a schedule for the data release.

Mars Orbiter Mission images Mars' moons, including the far side of Deimos | The Planetary Society

Its awesome.

Back
Top Bottom