What's new

Unironically: Could declaring Sharia Law in Pakistan solve it's insurgency problem?

TheSolution

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please hear out my explanation below and then give your opinion.

The main insurgent groups in Pakistan are the TTP, followed by minor ethnonationalist groups like the BLA network. The TTP especially finds a lot of sympathy and support within Pakistani society, and is the most powerful destabilising element.

The reason for this can be linked back to Pakistan sitting on the fence with it's Islamic identity, it claims itself to be an Islamic state while having a practising Muslim majority population > 96%, but doesn't have have an integral governance structure of Islam. The Sharia Law.

So when a militant group comes along claiming to want to implement Sharia Law, people are subconsciously sympathetic towards them, because that's what an Islamic state inherently requires, and they don't see it present in Pakistan, no matter how much they are pro-state.

(A lot of the time this militant group has covert goals unrelated to Islam, for example the TTP is more of a Pashtun tribal insurgency hence it focuses on the FATA merger reversal, and is also labelled as a criminal organisation which extorts locals for money. The Sharia Law aspect is only used a selling point in society to gain support, but many people don't realise this)

So my question is, if Pakistan fully embraces it's Islamic identity without sitting on the fence, and makes Sharia Law official, it could fully gain back control and the state narrative would reign supreme.

Instantly any group that picks up arms against the state can confidently be labelled as Khawarijs, it will have the full support and trust of the people and their sympathies towards any militant groups will disappear immediately.

The state will have regained full control and the narrative will completely be on it's side against any group, including ethnonationalist groups.

Should Pakistan implement Sharia Law to get rid of all these destabilising elements and have the ability to crush down on them hard with a powerful narrative? Any insurgent group would become powerless in it's narrative.

If you're a Muslim, which the majority of Pakistan is, this should not be as a problem to you should it? If you believe in Islam then surely you believe in your God's governance system.

@Sayfullah @Mirzali Khan @villageidiot @Menace2Society @SaadH @kingQamaR @Areesh @Signalian @epebble @_NOBODY_ @PanzerKiel @hussain0216 @R2D2 @Al_Muhannad @akramishaqkhan @AZMwi @Great Janjua @Olympus81 @COOKie LOOkie....

Last edited:
Establishing it would definitely give the Jawans the will to fight once more, because they would see that they are the defenders of the truest form of Islam.
Once it is declared that Islamic law will be established in Pakistan, the TTP narrative will entirely fall apart.

Keep in mind, these destabilising elements serve Indian interests very well, they have kept Pakistan's economy and development stunted for a very long while, and they keep it bogged down in a neverending guerilla war.

This could potentially bring it to end quite quickly. TTP's narrative would instantly be dead. Ethnonationalism would basically get smoked by the Islamists they would crush them.

Establishing it would definitely give the Jawans the will to fight once more, because they would see that they are the defenders of the truest form of Islam.
Once it is declared that Islamic law will be established in Pakistan, the TTP narrative will entirely fall apart.
Exactly my point.

TTP would literally have 0 value.

And the Islamists would literally lynch every ethnonationalist alive no questions asked.

INDIA'S PROXY WARS WOULD BE DEFEATED.

My understanding is that Pakistani law is already rooted in Islamic law/sharia but please do correct me if I'm wrong...

so what exactly is it that would placate these people ?

do they want a super crazy 2014 style Iraq and Syria version of or what ?

Then there would be insurgency and fighting over what sort of Shariah Law should there be, they'd just say that the Shariah Law that is implemented is not pure and not accoring to true essence of Islam blah blah, these people would never agree on one thing ever.

Like C'mon man, these people have been fighting amongst each other for decades and centuries, if they can't agree among themselves how would they agree with anyone else? Facts!

Keep in mind, these destabilising elements serve Indian interests very well, they have kept Pakistan's economy and development stunted for a very long while, and they keep it bogged down in a neverending guerilla war.

This could potentially bring it to end quite quickly. TTP's narrative would instantly be dead. Ethnonationalism would basically get smoked by the Islamists they would crush them.

Exactly my point.

TTP would literally have 0 value.

And the Islamists would literally lynch every ethnonationalist alive no questions asked.

INDIA'S PROXY WARS WOULD BE DEFEATED.

The thing is, there are many interpretations of what is truly the truest form of Islamic law. They may start nitpicking over this, but this would greatly expose their narrative of being an indian proxy

It will enable the extremists to ask for more. The problem with theology especially with a heavily controlling and psychological religion like Islam, there will always be someone who will appear to be more devout wanting to call the shots and it will spiral into chaos.

A secular capitalist nation state is the defacto model for success in the modern age.

Then there would be insurgency and fighting over what sort of Shariah Law should there be, they'd just say that the Shariah Law that is implemented is not pure and not accoring to true essence of Islam blah blah, these people would never agree on one thing ever.

Like C'mon man, these people have been fighting amongst each other for decades and centuries, if they can't agree among themselves how would they agree with anyone else? Facts!
Issues like this are solved through talks, you can't wage jihad against a Sharia Islamic state.

They'd be crushed by Islamists if they tried, and instantly labelled Khawarij.

In my opinion this thing you mentioned won't exist much at all. Will be way too weak, especially compared to TTP.

Should Pakistan implement Sharia Law to get rid of all these destabilising elements and have the ability to crush down on them hard with a powerful narrative? Any insurgent group would become powerless in it's narrative.

If you're a Muslim, which the majority of Pakistan is, this should not be as a problem to you should it? If you believe in Islam then surely you believe in your God's governance system.

Of course. If a majority of people want sharia law, then they should have it. The only issue is that most people assume that their own firqa and fiqh interpretation is the one that should be implemented. Who is going to decide that? The devil, as always, hides in the details.

My understanding is that Pakistani law is already rooted in Islamic law/sharia but please do correct me if I'm wrong...

so what exactly is it that would placate these people ?

do they want a super crazy 2014 style Iraq and Syria version of or what ?
Pakistan's governing institutions are firmly rooted in liberal democracy, but with a surface level Islamic tint.

Of course. If a majority of people want sharia law, then they should have it. The only issue is that most people assume that their own firqa and fiqh interpretation is the one that should be implemented. Who is going to decide that? The devil, as always, hides in the details.
Through dialogue.

Islamically you can't wage jihad against a Sharia ruled Islamic state or you become Khawarij. I think majority will stick to this rule, the small that perhaps don't will be very weak especially compared to TTP.

UK pakis are a bunch of dumb a** and your threads are proving it
I knew our Lahori friend would be against this 😵‍💫

It will enable the extremists to ask for more. The problem with theology especially with a heavily controlling and psychological religion like Islam, there will always be someone who will appear to be more devout wanting to call the shots and it will spiral into chaos.

A secular capitalist nation state is the defacto model for success in the modern age.
Islamists must conform to a meritocratic power structure if they want to develop and become powerful.

Ultimately local social culture also plays a role in people's Islamic implementation.

Back
Top Bottom