What's new

Understanding the Army's Attack Helicopter Needs

The Rooivalk 2 might be an option, especially as Denel is focusing on cost control and foreign customer input. In fact, when Denel announced that it was reviving the Rooivalk program, it received interest from two "unnamed countries." There aren't many countries out there who wouldn't want to be named on an issue like this.
I don't think it is coming in PAA.......
It uses couple of components from Puma transport.
Like rotor blade is same and probably both use same engine...... also these helicopters are not mature yet...... produced in very low quantity...... I bet Z10 will return..... but with more upgrades.......

He is smoking the trolling weed the one that gets people banned. However lets just watch him dance for a little while and enjoy his Thumkas. if he gets out of hand he will be put in the pen:azn::wave:;)

Would it be possible for you to elaborate or is this something that is left unsaid.
A

On the first para, you took the words out of my mouth. On the second one I am not so sure. the problem with Rooviak was the engine If I remember correctly. So where is the new engine going to come from and how much will it add to the cost. PAA in its current strategy is buying small numbers in increments an the Rooviak is not going to become cheaper that way. Z10 on the other hand will get bought in droves by the chinese and the per unit cost is likely to be low. I suspect PAA will talk with this and that for there is no harm in talking. We will increase the numbers of MI35 after initial evaluation. If the Chinese come back with a suitable alternative we will go ifor an upgraded Z10 in 2018-19, otherwise i suspect it might well end up being MI 28 as there is commonality between it and MI35 and MI17 in engine and spares . However the main development will take a couple of years so wait till 2017 before much else happens. You will in any case be busy inducting AH1Zs and MI35s
As to fixed wing rotary platforms, I suspect our emphasis may well be on Drones at medium/ high altitudes with ATGMs . It will make a lot more sense as it is a cheaper option with lots of loitering time and in case of destruction easily replaced with no loss of life. Fixed wing platforms are going to be difficult to defend in the subcontinental war theatre as there is no decisive air superiority on either side
A
I agree, ultimately we're looking at a new Z-10 variant. Haris Khan on PakDef said a while ago that the PAA liked the Z-10, and it'll be sending the necessary specifications to China before ordering. It's likely the Z-10, while promising, needed some additional work, hence it couldn't be accepted as-is.

Back
Top Bottom