What's new

UK immigration laws spark Pakistan wedding boom

ajtr

BANNED
Reaction score
UK immigration laws spark Pakistan wedding boom

MIRPUR: New British immigration laws have unleashed a stampede to wed and a frenzy of English lessons for Pakistanis desperate to migrate as new restrictions come into effect.
The boom was particularly marked in Mirpur, where Islamabad estimates 200,000 of Britain’s 1.2 million Pakistanis have their family origins.
Almost all the town’s 403,000 residents have relatives in the former colonial power, after a huge surge of migration from the area in the 1960s when a major dam was built, costing thousands of farmers their livelihoods.
At the time Britain needed more workers for its factories in the industrial cities of central and northern England, and granted immigration permits to many of them and their families.
Now with immigration an increasingly controversial issue in Britain, Mirpuris rushed to secure residency rights before the door was pushed tighter.
Wedding planners were rushed off their feet, English teachers overwhelmed and immigration consultants buried under mounds of paperwork as brides and grooms queued to file immigration papers by July 6, the last working day before the deadline.
Faisal Mehmood, a self-styled immigration consultant, said business was several times higher than the six to eight cases he normally processes a week.
“I consulted on and helped fill in immigration papers for 53 couples in the first week of July,” he told AFP in his office in Mirpur.
From July 9, new restrictions made it impossible for anyone who earns less than £18,600 ($29,000) a year to move a foreign spouse to Britain, or less than £22,400 if that spouse has a child.
To acquire British nationality, foreign spouses now have to wait five rather than two years to test whether a relationship is genuine, must be proficient in English and once in Britain, pass a Life in the UK test.
For Britons of Pakistani descent, April is by tradition the peak month for holidays and weddings in their parents’ homeland, before the summer heat becomes unbearable for those accustomed to northern climes.
But wedding planners say they saw record business from Britons in June and the first week of July, with nuptials up 20% in Mirpur so far this year.
Arshad Hussein Shah, the manager of eight marriage halls, said his company organised weddings for 15 Britons from June 1 to July 6.
“There was a sudden surge because the UK government changed the immigration laws for spouses and everybody rushed to marry and file papers before the deadline,” he said.
It was a similar tale for Ali Raza, managing director of the UK College of English Language, who says 35 students enrolled in June – 50% more than usual.
“There were more girls than boys. Everybody wanted to complete a quick English course and obtain certificates to file immigration papers,” said Raza.
“Nobody was expecting this sudden implementation of the new laws. It created panic among the candidates,” he added.
Batool Bukhari, 25, married her cousin in April and raced through an English course as quickly as possible.
“I applied for immigration in the second week of June. I had to rush my application when I found out that the new laws are being implemented soon. It was very tense,” said Bukhari.
In Islamabad, the British High Commission said there had been a “significant increase” in the number of applications to join a spouse and live permanently in Britain ahead of the new rules coming into force.
The surge has caused delays in processing applications, the commission said, with some taking up to six months to be resolved.
For those who missed the deadline, the new rules mean new uncertainty.
Naeem Lodhi, 32, who has dreamt of moving to Britain since childhood, married on June 22 but was unable to file the necessary paperwork in time.
“My wife, who came here to marry me, is leaving for the UK in a month. I’m worried about my immigration because her salary is much lower than the amount required,” he said.
Similarly, a hairdresser in London who gave her name only as Irum married her cousin on July 1 after a seven-year engagement, but was depressed about their chances of married life in Britain.
“I don’t know when will I be able to live with my husband in the UK,” she said, adding she would have to find a better paid job.
“It may take weeks, months or years. I don’t know, I am really not sure about my future.”

One does not have to travel outside their respective country to get an idea of whats happening elsewhere. Also if zimmick has Indian flags flying , does not mean he lives in Inida. Same like Most of the Chinese Members who proudly fly chinese flag but lives in the west and still ridicule the west , much like Pakistanis do!!

News and Internet lads , is a powerful source even if one isnt much travelled.

Really i didn't know one could read news on THE INTERNETS.
anyways, can you post some links to news which prove what zimmick is claiming?

Most successful businessmen MIGHT be Muslims , BUT NOT PAKISTANI )most of them are BELOW poverty line , even in Britain , just like pakistan). they can be Indian Muslims , Turkish Muslims , Arabic Muslims , but NOT welfare leeches. I know what I m saying been to Birmingham and seen it here in my country of residentce too.. Fraudsters and welfare leeches!!!

can provide link if asked to !!
I know how people misuse welfare and they are in every part of the world. You are generalizing!!!!
Sure please post the links which says "pakistanis are not successful business men" and "they are below poverty" in UK

"Unlike other regional cities, the Pakistani population of Gloucestershire is well scattered between inner city areas and the outskirts of Gloucester, Cheltenham, Stroud and Tewkesbury. The majority of Pakistanis are owner occupiers and are well settled and integrated."

"Nationally the educational achievements of Pakistanis present a mixed picture. For example in Waltham Forest, the average GCSE points scored by Pakistani pupils in 1994/1995 were higher than white pupils, and it was above average for the borough. However, in Birmingham the Pakistani pupils scored significantly lower than white pupils."

"Other research surveys have shown that Pakistani children in London had significantly higher "performance scores" than some other ethnic groups. The situation in London and Waltham Forest is possibly due the class differences which may affect their performances.

A similar pattern can be seen in Gloucestershire where parents are better educated and a good proportion are self-employed. They are then able to contribute more to the education of their children."

Read full story here
BBC - Gloucestershire Voices: Our Untold Stories - The Pakistani Community

I know how people misuse welfare and they are in every part of the world. You are generalizing!!!!
Sure please post the links which says "pakistanis are not successful business men" and "they are below poverty" in UK

Here you go :

UK: low income and ethnicity - The Poverty Site
the proportion of people who live in low-income households is:

20% for White people.
30% for Indians and Black Caribbeans.
50% for Black Africans.
60% for Pakistanis.
70% for Bangladeshis.
Pakistani-canadians are also falling below poverty line . 44% of them are already below poverty line

Pakistani-Canadians: Falling below the poverty line | DAWN.COM

pakistan and bangladeshi immigrants in uk are one of the poorest community in britain .indian(hindu/sikh/muslim/christen) are way ahead than pak muslim in uk.:azn:

www.communities.gov.uk/documents/communities/pdf/1170952.pdf

www.communities.gov.uk/documents/communities/pdf/1203727.pdf

"Unlike other regional cities, the Pakistani population of Gloucestershire is well scattered between inner city areas and the outskirts of Gloucester, Cheltenham, Stroud and Tewkesbury. The majority of Pakistanis are owner occupiers and are well settled and integrated."

"Nationally the educational achievements of Pakistanis present a mixed picture. For example in Waltham Forest, the average GCSE points scored by Pakistani pupils in 1994/1995 were higher than white pupils, and it was above average for the borough. However, in Birmingham the Pakistani pupils scored significantly lower than white pupils."

"Other research surveys have shown that Pakistani children in London had significantly higher "performance scores" than some other ethnic groups. The situation in London and Waltham Forest is possibly due the class differences which may affect their performances.

A similar pattern can be seen in Gloucestershire where parents are better educated and a good proportion are self-employed. They are then able to contribute more to the education of their children."

Read full story here
BBC - Gloucestershire Voices: Our Untold Stories - The Pakistani Community

Thank the British welfare system for that they are giving them a fair chance .Again it would be very stupid to draw conclusions between GCSE scores and poverty Line . Its not pakistan or for that matter India that ppl from poor background have very high disadvantage .

Thank the British welfare system for that they are giving them a fair chance .Again it would be very stupid to draw conclusions between GCSE scores and poverty Line . Its not pakistan or for that matter India that ppl from poor background have very high disadvantage .

I am not linking GCSE scores and poverty lines, just posting extracts form that article which talking about Pakistani society in UK. I have seen lots of South Asian's doing very well and at the same time really bad, I think its more to do with the economy there and not enough jobs.

Have you ever traveled outside India? What makes you say they are not part of mainstream Britain? Take a look at Britain business community and you will find most successful entrepreneurs are Muslims.

don't mind him, this is what they are told in Indian media
there only a handful on indians here whose post i read rest are just morons

Post 2 derails the thread till post 9 puts it back on track. A mod might want to look into deleting posts 2-8. Thanks.

Maajid Nawaz debates Anjem Choudary - YouTube
watch this d!ckhedd , living in the UK and wants Sharia implimented in the UK , the fun starts at 2.30- 2.40 , when hes asked to tell the viewers how many THOUSANDS of pounds does he get in benefits from the same democratic Govt?

He came to ireland too , and wanted to bad the Angelus , which is heard in some parts of Ireland , below is the clip of it.. how can this be Anti-Islam (according to Pakistanis) listen for yourself..

The Angelus - YouTube

But this lunatic wanted to ban the Angelus and get it changed to `somthing Islamic`, coz this dont happen in Pakistan!!!

Why are so many Indians getting all worked up about British citizens of Pakistani origin getting married? It's a perfectly legitimate activity.

You people need to take your hateful obsession somewhere else, or get a life.

watch this d!ckhedd , living in the UK and wants Sharia implimented in the UK , the fun starts at 2.30- 2.40 , when hes asked to tell the viewers how many THOUSANDS of pounds does he get in benefits from the same democratic Govt?

He came to ireland too , and wanted to bad the Angelus , which is heard in some parts of Ireland , below is the clip of it.. how can this be Anti-Islam (according to Pakistanis) listen for yourself..

But this lunatic wanted to ban the Angelus and get it changed to `somthing Islamic`, coz this dont happen in Pakistan!!!

I still don't understand what you are trying to say in this thread from the beginning. The original article is about wedding season etc and you are trying to shove your Islamophobic posts down our throats?
You seem a very confused individual, no offense.

The law is for everybody --- I don't know why they mention Pakistan in the newspaper (may be because it's a Pakistani newspaper)

Yes the law has been very strict but it's ok for me :D

look at all these Indians going wild, just look at these worthless jabronis. These jabroni Indians are always so happy when ever something is done against Pakistan. The truth is Pakistan today is the center of the target & who are targeting Pakistan today its India, US, Israel & NATO.

Any where Pakistan is to be harmed, Indians are always in the front to harm Pakistan. Truly they are Pakistan's arch enemy.

The law is for everybody --- I don't know why they mention Pakistan in the newspaper (may be because it's a Pakistani newspaper)

Yes the law has been very strict but it's ok for me :D

Haaan hum to raheeei soootaileeei ! :disagree:

Back
Top Bottom