What's new

U.S. panics over China tech threat

UserUnknown2025

Reaction score
Country
China
https://www.axios.com/why-history-s...-40ac-ae9f-35c0149eae54.html?utm_source=quora

U.S. panics over China tech threat

The U.S. is experiencing a revival of Japan syndrome, harking back to the late 1970s when "Made in Japan" abruptly stopped being a source of mirth, Americans began to snap up Toyotas and Nissans in big numbers, and Detroit sank into a profit-and-jobs bloodbath.

The big picture: Five years ago, American technologists sneered at China's Baidu and its new search engine. But "they aren't laughing anymore," says Gregory Allen, an AI expert at the Center for a New American Security. "Now they are marveling at Baidu's advances in artificial intelligence."

Chinese Big Tech is one dimension of a juggernaut that's collectively terrifying the Trump administration, Silicon Valley and the western foreign policy community.

It's "Made in China 2025," Beijing's three-year old game plan for dominating the 10 biggest technologies of the future, such as AI, robotics and electric cars.

• Driving the news: In a 215-page investigation released in March, the U.S. Trade Representative cites China 2025 111 times, notes CFR's Lorand Laskai.
  • Where it stands: The Trump administration is pushing China to stop encouraging the theft of U.S. intellectual property. And just this week, the government took action to stop the sale of Huawei telecommunications gear by U.S. carriers, and barred ZTE from buying U.S.-made components.
  • Between the lines: A conviction that, like Japan conquered cars, China may actually manage to pull off its tech ambitions. And not only would it have the most advanced versions of these technologies, but it would effectively block off its market for competition in these leading sectors.
Elizabeth Economy, director for Asia studies at the Council on Foreign Relations, tells Axios that the West is not being alarmist.

1.4billions people led by CCP determined to be number one on this planet and no one can stop us this time!
The US is trying to. I am a little apprehensive though. I am certain that China will eventually obtain tech dominance, but China would have no chance if US gets its hands on game-changing technologies such as quantum computing and AI first.

The US is trying to. I am a little apprehensive though. I am certain that China will eventually obtain tech dominance, but China would have no chance if US gets its hands on game-changing technologies such as quantum computing and AI first.
quantum tech and AI China is not weak!

US is afraid of ALIBABA Cloud service this the reason why Ali vloud would be banned very soon in US just like they are afraid of Huawei and ZTE!

t01286a15cece4ae6c7.webp

t01286a15cece4ae6c7.webp-1.png

China alone consumes world 56% semiconductor products. It is true that American companies dominate high end technologies in semiconductor industry. But imagine what would happen if these companies lose most part of China market. They will not have enough profit to sustain R&D, and eventually fall.

Banning ZTE is like a new version of Pearl Harbor incident for China. From this time, Chinese companies will choose domestic semiconductors at any cost(In most cases they buy American semiconductors because of better cost performance). Technology is important. Market is more important. Market can create technology and can kill it as well. China has market. The new Pearl Harbor incident aroused China. China's domestic semiconductor suppliers, who have been always struggling for survival, embrace spring time.

Last edited:
Banning ZTE is like a new version of Pearl Harbor incident for China. From this time, Chinese companies will choose domestic semiconductors at any cost(In most cases they buy American semiconductors because of better cost performance). Technology is important. Market is more important. Market can create technology and can kill it as well. China has market. The new Pearl Harbor incident aroused China. China's domestic semiconductor suppliers, who have been always struggling for survival, embrace spring time.

I am glad the US took this extra ZTE step. I was getting a little worried because it falsely seemed that the recent Hainan-policies (designed long before trade war begun) actually helped calm down the US side.

But, I was gladly wrong.

I agree that this is a economic Pearl Harbor. The US could not have had a better gift. I am always in favor of US fascism rather than neoliberalism (which is a step short of neofascism).

The more neofascist the US gets, the better.

I am glad the US took this extra ZTE step. I was getting a little worried because it falsely seemed that the recent Hainan-policies (designed long before trade war begun) actually helped calm down the US side.

But, I was gladly wrong.

I agree that this is a economic Pearl Harbor. The US could not have had a better gift. I am always in favor of US fascism rather than neoliberalism (which is a step short of neofascism).

The more neofascist the US gets, the better.
From the new Pearl Harbor day, Chinese companies lost their faith in American suppliers and their so called free economy. Chinese government will do whatever they can do to help domestic semiconductor manufacturers. Massive import substitution in this field will soon be started.

Is the ZTE tragedy a bad thing for China? Definitely not.

Is the ZTE tragedy a bad thing for China? Definitely not.

In fact, they have been lashing at ZTE from years back. This, however, did not prevent it from becoming one of the most dominant TC companies in the world, becoming top three companies in the world for then years in terms of spending on R&D.

From the new Pearl Harbor day, Chinese companies lost their faith in American suppliers and their so called free economy. Chinese government will do whatever they can do to help domestic semiconductor manufacturers. Massive import substitution in this field will soon be started.

Especially government procurement should be entirely closed to US tech companies. I still see some universities I visit in Mainland buying Dell and HP.

That's outright stupid now. That should be no more. Money should go to Lenovo and others (ASUS maybe :lol:).

In fact, they have been lashing at ZTE from years back. This, however, did not prevent it from becoming one of the most dominant TC companies in the world, becoming top three companies in the world for then years in terms of spending on R&D.
Not too long ago I read that ZTE was buying foreign 5g equipment when China has its own and thought they needed some sort of "incentives" to change their supplier. ZTE will learn a lesson it will not forget, a lesson in "free markets".

Especially government procurement should be entirely closed to US tech companies. I still see some universities I visit in Mainland buying Dell and HP.

That's outright stupid now. That should be no more. Money should go to Lenovo and others (ASUS maybe :lol:).
A few years back in Beijing I saw North Koreans who looked like they worked for the state (wearing Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il pins along with their uniform) procure ASUS computers.

A few years back in Beijing I saw North Koreans who looked like they worked for the state (wearing Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il pins along with their uniform) procure ASUS computers.

Taiwan businessmen could be nasty. Besides, as Taiwan is not a country subject to international law, it cannot break something that does not exist.

I guess same is true in terms of chemicals. And, I think Mainland is just happy with this sort of arrangement, because both North Koreans and Taiwan businessmen are happy.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom