What's new

(Type 076) what kind of air wing will it use?

Will the Type 076 be able to operate manned fighters or not

• Total voters

obj 705A

Reaction score
Country
Iraq
So alot of people on some other forums (and to a less extent here on PDF) suggest that the type 076 will not have the capability to operate manned fighters.
They gave many reasons as to why they think so, for example on CJDBY I came across a comment that said something like "the Type 076 will be equipped with weak catapults that won't be powerfull enough to launch manned aircrafts".

So what's your opinion on this matter? What kind of aircrafts do you think will be carried by the Type 076?

This ship will for sure cost some billions of dollars , we have seen how that American stealthy drone was taken down effortlessly by Iran, the only case an American drone was useful against Iran was when it striked outside Iran's airdefense range (eg: Soleimani assasination) , in a war with the US navy ,aside from intelligence gathering the only way they would be usefull against the USN would be if they are used in a swarm attack against a US warship to overwhelm it's air defences, but then again a single Type 055 launching some 36 long range cruise missiles would be a much more cost effective way to do that.

In other words if it is equipped with nothing but drones then the only thing it would be capable of doing would be intelligence gathering in addition to targeting Somali pirates.

Edit: The following fourth choice was added: "1st batch has design flaws so it won't operate manned fighters, next batch won't have any design flaws" , obviously this choice was too long so it didn't display the last two letters and I can't edit it.

Last edited:
So alot of people on some other forums (and to a less extent here on PDF) suggest that the type 076 will not have the capability to operate manned fighters.
They gave many reasons as to why they think so, for example on CJDBY I came across a comment that said something like "the Type 076 will be equipped with weak catapults that won't be powerfull enough to launch manned aircrafts".

So what's your opinion on this matter? What kind of aircrafts do you think will be carried by the Type 076?

This ship will for sure cost some billions of dollars , we have seen how that American stealthy drone was taken down effortlessly by Iran, the only case an American drone was useful against Iran was when it striked outside Iran's airdefense range (eg: Soleimani assasination) , in a war with the US navy ,aside from intelligence gathering the only way they would be usefull against the USN would be if they are used in a swarm attack against a US warship to overwhelm it's air defences, but then again a single Type 055 launching some 36 long range cruise missiles would be a much more cost effective way to do that.

In other words if it is equipped with nothing but drones then the only thing it would be capable of doing would be intelligence gathering in addition to targeting Somali pirates.

Type 076 will be an all-around vessel. A light- or mid-weight aircraft carrier is surely one of the multiple roles it's capable of. I am sure PLAN's next generation of carrier-based fighters (aka J-35) will be an important part of the air wing. It will also be a great help when the ship is delivering military units in a battle of landings.

Last edited:

Pop3 himself said the 076 was going to be the solution to not have STOVL fighters in the PLANAF. If this is the case, why would the 076 not be able to launch manned fighters with its EM catapult in the future? A 076 not being able to launch manned aircraft or being only able to launch UAVs does not solve the STOVL problem at all.

I noticed that so far we have like 3 people who think it will not be able to operate manned fighters, any way calling any one who disgreed with me an "idiot" previously on the other threads was pretty childish on my part , that won't happen again, who knows.. may be it really will not operate manned fighters at all.
Any way moving on let us say it will have nothing but drones , so what are these drones? Does china have a maneuverable drone that could be used for A2A combat? A flying wing UCAV is useless for A2A because even if it carried A2A missiles it will not be maneuverable so the moment it is fired upon it will go down in flames, even when some articles talk about drones in A2A combat, they usually talk about it in the context of drones being networked with and controlled by a manned fighter but I never read anything about an A2A squadron composed of nothing but drones.

China will make a EMALS just for UCAV? no I defiantly dont think so

unless this new LHD can take aircraft I doubt this news very much

China will make a EMALS just for UCAV? no I defiantly dont think so

unless this new LHD can take aircraft I doubt this news very much

Finally another person with common sense, thank you very much, exactly what I think, adding EMALS and arresting wires and making the ship bigger will increase the cost significantly to the point it would be as pricy as any other regular aircraft carrier in that tonnage range, so if it wouldn't have manned aircrafts it's gonna be one big overpriced flop.

Finally another person with common sense, thank you very much, exactly what I think, adding EMALS and arresting wires and making the ship bigger will increase the cost significantly to the point it would be as pricy as any other regular aircraft carrier in that tonnage range, so if it wouldn't have manned aircrafts it's gonna be one big overpriced flop.
Dude that's not what he's trying to say. He meant that the news of the LHD with EMALS would mean the LHD would have to carry manned aircraft ... otherwise the news is fake because a LHD with EM catapults which only carry UCAVs is not a very viable platform.

1.jpg

Pop3 says here that the 076 will solve the STOVL problem China faces (since it does not have STOVL fighters like that of the F-35B). That combined with the tender issued for the 076 (including EM catapults) should definitely tell everyone that the 076 indeed does carry manned aircraft. Otherwise, how would the 076 fix the lack of F-35B STOVL aircraft pop3 mentioned? Note Pop3 is the most authoritative source on PLAN development. I don't really know where the notion that the 076 would carry EM catapults only hurl UAVs into the air came from ...

Last edited:
Dude that's not what he's trying to say. He meant that the news of the LHD with EMALS would mean the LHD would have to carry manned aircraft ... otherwise the news is fake because a LHD with EM catapults which only carry UCAVs is not a very viable platform.

View attachment 653559
Pop3 says here that the 076 will solve the STOVL problem China faces (since it does not have STOVL fighters like that of the F-35B). That combined with the tender issued for the 076 (including EM catapults) should definitely tell everyone that the 076 indeed does carry manned aircraft. Otherwise, how would the 076 fix the lack of F-35B STOVL aircraft pop3 mentioned? Note Pop3 is the most authoritative source on PLAN development. I don't really know where the notion that the 076 would carry EM catapults only hurl UAVs into the air came from ...

I actually did understand what he meant however every person who says an LHD with EMALS has to have manned fighters is a friend of mine regardless, even if he may think the news about the very existance of the ship are fake.

@Figaro why do you think so many people reject the idea that it will operate manned fighters? Are they just keeping their hopes down so that they wouldn't get disappointed if it doesn't have J-35 may be? Honestly at this point it's just completely puzzling as if all people are saying "the sun does not exist" even when it's shining on their head.

Also the drydock is currently occupied by other ships right? do we have any idea when the dry dock will be available for the 076?

I actually did understand what he meant however every person who says an LHD with EMALS has to have manned fighters is a friend of mine regardless, even if he may think the news about the very existance of the ship are fake.

@Figaro why do you think so many people reject the idea that it will operate manned fighters? Are they just keeping their hopes down so that they wouldn't get disappointed if it doesn't have J-35 may be? Honestly at this point it's just completely puzzling as if all people are saying "the sun does not exist" even when it's shining on their head.

Also the drydock is currently occupied by other ships right? do we have any idea when the dry dock will be available for the 076?
I really don't know why so many people reject this idea even though it is clear from the rumors and the 076 sub-systems tender. The most authoritative source on PLA naval basically said the 076 will feature manned fighters (otherwise how would it solve the problem of not having STOVL fighters as Pop3 mentioned)? The naval tender for the EM catapult on the 076 should be a very good sign that the 076 does indeed exist and will carry manned fighters. Why is this so hard for some people to accept? I am not trying to sound optimistic here, I am only saying from facts.

Btw, I don't think Pop3 said the 076 was under construction yet but he said it will be soon. That would explain why the dry dock is not yet available.

I don't know who are those persons that you meant specifically.

But I even less understand why did you care EVERY one's opinion, esp. if that person ain't somebody.

EVERY one has his own opinion, and opinion is very fluid, from A to Z… moreover each may have his own motive even in saying out some nonsense, and in factual, only opinions of some authoritative individuals do count!

Please care less whatever opinion of EVERY one has about every thing incl whether the 076 LHD will carry manned aircraft or not. My opinion if it goes around 50-60k tonnes with EMALS of course it'll have manned aircraft on board. However, what EVERY one thinks is just irrelevant,for only few have opinions that really carry weight!

No offense to you, just say out in straight!

Last edited:
China’s Type-076 Assault Carrier More Firepower through Stealth UAVs
There is a saying some aircraft carrier are built for defence while others are built for offence as the Type 076.
Source https://www.forbes.com/sites/hisutt...-could-arm-chinas-type-076-assault-carrier/hh
No Chinese carrier is built for defence. All the Chinese carriers, including the 001 are clearly geared towards offence. China is following the US naval doctrine, not the Soviet defensive doctrine.

I don't know who are those persons that you meant specifically.

But I even less understand why did you care EVERY one's opinion, esp. if that person ain't somebody.

EVERY one has his own opinion, and opinion is very fluid, from A to Z… moreover each may have his own motive even in saying out some nonsense, and in factual, only opinions of some authoritative individuals do count!

Please care less whatever opinion of EVERY one has about every thing incl whether the 076 LHD will carry manned aircraft or not. My opinion if it goes around 50-60k tonnes with EMALS of course it'll have manned aircraft on board. However, what EVERY one thinks is just irrelevant,for only few have opinions that really carry weight!

No offense to you, just say out in straight!
But he does have a valid point though. I don't know where this notion of a LHA carrying only UAVs came from ... it doesn't make sense at all. And his poll even shows this, which is quite surprising. I too am perplexed on why some people insist it won't carry manned fighters.

View attachment 653559

He also said 076 is the actual Amphibious assault ship. The main role of VTOL fighter on LHA is providing CAS to the marine. The Scout helicopter, Scout SV and FAC from the 076 will be able to control the UAVs to destroy the targets.

But he does have a valid point though. I don't know where this notion of a LHA carrying only UAVs came from ... it doesn't make sense at all. And his poll even shows this, which is quite surprising. I too am perplexed on why some people insist it won't carry manned fighters.

indeed, note it's not about loving China or being biased towards the PLA or expecting too much from them, it's simply common sense, usually if you would have an opinion and some one else would disagree with that opinion, after 3 or 4 posts you would just move on and let it go, but when you say "the earth is not flat" to some people and they answer with a resounding "the earth is flat I'm telling you" you would start wondering "just wtf is going on".
without any exageration, the idea that a 50k-60k tonne CATOBAR vessel (even if it is made by any country that I have a negative opinion of) wouldn't be able to operate fighters is about as insane as the idea that the earth is flat.

Back
Top Bottom