What's new

Type 055 DDG News & Discussions

The Kolkata class destroyer was initially designed to face against the Type 052C, since these two ships both belong to the early 2000s. Now the first two Kolkata just barely commissioned, but they already face a large number of the Type 052D.

When the first of the Visakhapatnam class being commissioned, it will also face a large number of the Type 055.

Just one Type-055 cruiser will have more firepower than 3 Kolkata class destroyers - there is no comparison here at all.

Just one Type-055 cruiser will have more firepower than 3 Kolkata class destroyers - there is no comparison here at all.

China right now has the plan to build 8+16 Type 055 in the first batch, then another 24 in the second batch.

its too early to tell the type 55 is not even launched let alone in trails. most likely it will have 2x64 cell vls

The Type 055A got 64+48 VLS units, and the Type 055B will have 64+64 VLS units.

Because each unit of the CCL VLS is huge, even larger than the MK57, let alone the smaller MK41.

The Type 055B will definitely displace over 15,000 tonnes.

China right now has the plan to build 8+16 Type 055 in the first batch, then another 24 in the second batch.
(Official) Source?

054b: 22+5 building
052C: 6
052D: Planned: 12+

I personally would consider 24+24 quite unlikely therefor.

Lets wait and see what happens with the first one. You might well see a pair built, followed by extensive testing.

(Official) Source?

Lets wait and see what happens with the first one. You might well see a pair built, followed by extensive testing.

Being eventually built by 3 shipyards, then you can imagine the quantity of this class of destroyer.

The Arleigh Burke class is only being built by 2 shipyards.

(Official) Source?

I agree, this platform is still untested. So they would probably test them for some quite of time. There is a probability that the 055 will be another 051B, 051C. Or maybe it will be like the 052C. So either this new platform will become a testbed for a newer class or they will test them, and if it's good they will build 3 - 4 ships before rolling out a better ships with more quantities, if newer technologies are available (just like the 052C --> 052D)

I agree, this platform is still untested. So they would probably test them for some quite of time. There is a probability that the 055 will be another 051B, 051C. Or maybe it will be like the 052C. So either this new platform will become a testbed for a newer class or they will test them, and if it's good they will build 3 - 4 ships before rolling out a better ships with more quantities, if newer technologies are available (just like the 052C --> 052D)

The Type 051B/C were outdated since the day they were born, but the Type 055 is just another story.

This is the ultimate reward of China's decades of hard work. At the current stage, the Type 055 is the ultimate goal ship. And its eventual quantity can be as many as the Arleigh Burke class.

Last edited:
Being eventually built by 3 shipyards, then you can imagine the quantity of this class of destroyer.

The Arleigh Burke class is only being built by 2 shipyards.

I agree. With 3 shipyards prepared to build this design, mean that they are serious with the 055 series. But I don't think that it will solely mean for the initial 055 design. Just look at this ship. It's big; much bigger than the 052D. And there are a lot of room for this design to improve. With the current of research drive that they are doing right now; I'm sure that there will some newer technologies available soon.

So let us see. Untested platform (they will test them to see the reliability of the 055 series platform, compared to the existing ones), have a lot of room to improve (because of the size), newer technologies that will available soon. So building too many initial 055 design will be not a wise idea. I can expect that 055A, B, C, D designs will be role out of the design room faster than we will anticipated. So 2 will be enough for now; and later on (soon enough) we can see more ships from the A, B, C, D, E.... platforms in near future.

I agree. With 3 shipyards prepared to build this design, mean that they are serious with the 055 series. But I don't think that it will solely mean for the initial 055 design. Just look at this ship. It's big; much bigger than the 052D. And there are a lot of room for this design to improve. With the current of research drive that they are doing right now; I'm sure that there will some newer technologies available soon.

So let us see. Untested platform (they will test them to see the reliability of the 055 series platform, compared to the existing ones), have a lot of room to improve (because of the size), newer technologies that will available soon. So building too many initial 055 design will be not a wise idea. I can expect that 055A, B, C, D designs will be role out of the design room faster than we will anticipated. So 2 will be enough for now.

The Type 052D is already the test platform, the Type 055 is just a bigger upgrade. The Type 052D is actually more advanced than the Arleigh Burke Flight IIA, but the only shortcoming is the full potential of its radar/weapon systems have been hindered by the smaller tonnage of a CODOG ship.

The Type 055 will unleash all the potential of the advanced radar/weapon systems of the Type 052D.

You cannot compare with the Type 052C. When the Type 052C was available, China had no any experience with those AEGIS destroyers, but now everything is different.

The Type 052D is already the test platform, the Type 055 is just a bigger upgrade. The Type 052D is actually more advanced than the Arleigh Burke Flight IIA, but the only shortcoming is the full potential of its radar/weapon systems has been hindered by the smaller tonnage of a CODOG ship.

The Type 055 will unleash all the potential of the advanced radar/weapon systems of the Type 052D.

You cannot compare with the Type 052C. When the Type 052C was available, China had no any experience with those AEGIS destroyers, but now everything is different.

Your opinion is logical. Ok, let's us see who is right in the future. It doesn't mean that your or I must be right about this. But there are two possibilities that can happen in the future, regarding the 055. Hopefully, you're right, because your opinion is more optimist than mine.

Your point is logical. Ok, let's us see who is right in the future. It doesn't mean that your or I must be right about this. But there are two probability that will happen in near future, regarding the 055. Hopefully, you're right, because your opinion is more optimist than mine.

According to POP3, the Type 055 will become the backbone of the PLAN along with those 50+ nuclear subs in the near future.

The Type 052D is definitely a watered-down test platform for the Type 055, yet China has planned to build 18 ships of this class.

According to POP3, the Type 055 will become the backbone of the PLAN along with those 50+ nuclear subs in the near future.

The Type 052D is definitely a watered-down test platform for the Type 055, yet China has planned to build 18 ships of this class.

He(POP3) still won't disclose what the new medium range air defence missile is. :smokin:

Definitely not HHQ-16C. :lol::rolleyes:

101051t49az9xzfd44mmmp.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom