What's new

Type 054A FFG News & Discussions

China still uses signal men? That's weird.
In total radio silence scenario, flag signal and light signals ensure no interception of messages from enemy ships, exposing your message or your location (beyond radar detection range).

I am sure US navy do that too, after all it is a basic seamanship training for all navies.

China still uses signal men? That's weird.
I guess you never have any naval experience. Signal are part of basic seamanship , be it officer or men. They will learn it during their courses. All navy will sure practice that but it's just a matter of how often.

German panzer unit in 1944-45 uses flag signal between tank unit as allies had means to intercept their radio communication. You wouldn't want them to know where you are going to concentrate and attack which direction, right?

I guess you never have any naval experience. Signal are part of basic seamanship , be it officer or men. They will learn it during their courses. All navy will sure practice that but it's just a matter of how often.

German panzer unit in 1944-45 uses flag signal between tank unit as allies had means to intercept their radio communication. You wouldn't want them to know where you are going to concentrate and attack which direction, right?

I'm in the Navy. The U.S. got rid of their signalmen rating years ago. We still use pennants but I've never seen a signalman on any ship.

Our quartermasters do still learn to navigate by the stars however.

In total radio silence scenario, flag signal and light signals ensure no interception of messages from enemy ships, exposing your message or your location (beyond radar detection range).

I am sure US navy do that too, after all it is a basic seamanship training for all navies.
Nope. We don't allow so much as a lit cigarette on deck during those times. The notion that signal flags can't be intercepted in the age of high powered optics and surveillance drones is laughable.

I'm in the Navy. The U.S. got rid of their signalmen rating years ago. We still use pennants but I've never seen a signalman on any ship.

Our quartermasters do still learn to navigate by the stars however.

Nope. We don't allow so much as a lit cigarette on deck during those times. The notion that signal flags can't be intercepted in the age of high powered optics and surveillance drones is laughable.
Who would be so stupid to transmit flag signal in the presence of drones (or enemy ships) or within range of a high powered optics (I assumed you meant spy satellites and not ships). Drones will be shot down, as for spy satellites, they are marked and tracked at all times and can be counter-measured.

6d2b0a1cgy1ghr9cnozpsj240q2oi1kz.jpg
6d2b0a1cgy1ghr9cqrep3j24lg32a1l1.jpg

Via @畫龍元芳 from Weibo

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom