What's new

Turkish LHD Program | News & Discusions

Just What the Middle East Needs: Turkey’s Getting an Aircraft Carrier

Ankara is about to greatly expand its military reach—and up the ante in the region’s dangerous arms race.
ISTANBUL — Turkey is getting ready to widen the reach of its military considerably by building a multipurpose aircraft carrier with “trans-continental” capabilities.

The 225-meter ship dubbed the Anadolu (or Anatolia), set to enter service in 2021, is designed to take fighter aircraft, attack helicopters, tanks, troops, and landing vessels to areas around the Mediterranean and as far as the Atlantic and the Indian Oceans, officials say. While some analysts say Turkey needs a carrier like this, some regard the project as an expensive expression of prestige and grandeur that far exceeds the country’s limits.

The move is a sign of NATO member Turkey’s determination to become a leading power in the Middle East and beyond, an ambition that has been ruffling feathers. In a region shaken by the Syrian war, a heated row between Turkey and naval superpower Russia over the downing of a fighter jet and an increased naval presence by rival Iran to the southeast have heightened tensions even more.

Just What the Middle East Needs: Turkey’s Getting an Aircraft Carrier - The Daily Beast

This could mean TN is capable to show Presence and Conduct Operations in an Area which have for Spain strategic importance. Or have they sold Juan Carlos I Class to Turkey to Resque Navantia from getting insolvent ?

Eastern Mediterranean going to be busy with LHD from Turkey and 2 x mistral class from Egypt

Will be interesting to watch

The article making negative view of Turkey getting LHD! Like sarcastic "Ah just what we need" roll eyes.
it says, it will push Syria, Iraq and Iran to procure more arms... However, there is not sea border of Turkey with Iraq and Iran, and we all know the reality about Syria... WTF is that?

New naval doctrine is already on its way.

400 tonnes AsuW Patrol Boats
600 tonnes Heavy armed Assault Boats
2300 tonnes Milgem class AsuW corvettes
3000 tonnes I class Multi- purpose frigates
7000 tonnes TF-2000 AAW frigates
1900 tonnes U-214TN submarines
1800 tonnes Milden submarines
28000 tonnes LHD + F-35B
Atmaca anti-ship cruise missiles
Gezgin LACM (1000+km)
Hisar family Surface to Air Naval Missiles
Mizrak-D family anti-boat/ship missiles
Akya Torpedoes
Sub-Atmaca missiles
IDAS sub missiles

Many of them are the flagships of new naval doctrine of TN which is going to be joined into inventory first time and enough to frighten almost all regional naval Powers to make them hide into their caves.

Great ambition for Turkey

What really separates the Turkish Muslim nation from other nations , including Pakistan is the focus on developing stuff
"Locally" and having trust in the own abilities of their own people, engineers and technicians and scientist

Whole F16 is running on Turkish Software , assembly lines all setup in Turkey

Pakistan , also have that same trait but Turkey is always focusing on Local production and they do a remarkable job with the products they manufacture the "design" & planning aspect of Turkish engineers is commendable

The Hisar 0 , Hisar A , superb projects love that missile tech

And same with Engineering Ships of all sizes and shapes - That is Turkey always ambitious

Unlike Many Pakistani folks who always argues , oh why we need a Navy when we can Signal Enemy from the watch tower

When I view the Engineering "Manufacturing Auto/Turk/APC/Tank" samples from Turkey the work looks equal in quality to German engineering. Just the design and look and feel is always German inspired, but rather I must say "ITS TURKISH" quality

Pakistan has some serious catching up to do

Radar
Radar + Firing system , all integrated
Local SAM production Hisar A/0
Local production of Helicopters (All Made in Turkey)
F16 , software for mission control for Jet all Turkish written (Less chance of hack)
The APC (Top notch)
Anti Troop machines (lovely designs)
Robotics used with Machines , excellent
Ship manufacturing , with high quality and systems all made in Turkey / radars etc

Turkey gets it

MODERNIZATION is all aspect of design

a) Planning
b) New ideas
c) Innovation or improvements in old designs
d) Taking risk
e) Spending engineering R&D time on improvements

Its not just plain copy paste ... approach

Last edited:
Eastern Mediterranean going to be busy with LHD from Turkey and 2 x mistral class from Egypt

Will be interesting to watch

No worries for that. By 2020 we hope for better Egypt-Turkey relations, but certainly I don't, since simply all these procurements are preparations for the crisis of future. Cyprus and Eastern Mediterranean...:).

- Egyptian Mistrals are fitted with Russian subsystems.

- Those Mistrals under the hands of the Arabs will be more like a Logistical vessel rather than a "force projection/LPD". Why?
*- No standing amphibious Naval infantry unit exists in Egyptian Navy
- No large scale deployments/task group formations which results with having an incapable logistical fleet if you're talking about adding LPDs and FREMMs to it.
- No experience in combined cooperative naval operations.

- Russia-France relations are cooling down due to their possible rapprochement on the ISIS issue which may eventually lead to cancellation of the contract. But this one is an issue too much complicated to be precise..

These facts do not point out nor claim Egypt is weak. Simply they don't have the naval power to dominate the Eastern Mediterranean. That's their military doctrine. Generally, Arabic nations don't put much importance on Navy. Turkey on the other hand has the capability and a long standing history on the Eastern Mediterranean interests. For example: yesterday or today (I must have seen on TV here), Turkish Coast Guard vessels have raided a tanker on the shores of Libya and seized 13 tons of drugs. I thinks this shows the range of our routine capability for today in Eastern Mediterranean. Imagine 6 years later with an LHD full of F-35Bs and indigenous air defense frigates.

So basically, any procurement in the region may and will put a weight on the race for naval dominance in the region but the Mistral procurement is overly exaggerated and public will see this sooner or later.

These facts do not point out nor claim Egypt is weak. Simply they don't have the naval power to dominate the Eastern Mediterranean. That's their military doctrine. Generally, Arabic nations don't put much importance on Navy. Turkey on the other hand has the capability and a long standing history on the Eastern Mediterranean interests. For example: yesterday or today (I must have seen on TV here), Turkish Coast Guard vessels have raided a tanker on the shores of Libya and seized 13 tons of drugs. I thinks this shows the range of our routine capability for today in Eastern Mediterranean. Imagine 6 years later with an LHD full of F-35Bs and indigenous air defense frigates.

They have weak Economies which can not Support the Luxory having a strong Navy and not to forget they fully Rely on western or Russian made Equipment. None of these Countries have the Infrastructure to Support R&D Programms and an Defence Industry who only can manufacture foreign made Equipment. The West will not give north african Countries the Equipment which they need for domaninating the Region !

Impressive vertical landing, that F35 has more mobility parts in it's rear end than I have :)

Well, I don't know how it'll turn out, but if Egypt agrees to let russians and chinese get to study the Mistral I could imagine problems might arise. On the other hand perhaps it's no longer an issue because arms development has made giant leaps into an age that makes LHP unnecessary.
AQ,LHD,LPD,LHA,LPH etc are important in power projection for ''Sea-nations'',without them,you dont count as a true Naval-power.

Impressive vertical landing, that F35 has more mobility parts in it's rear end than I have :)

Well, I don't know how it'll turn out, but if Egypt agrees to let russians and chinese get to study the Mistral I could imagine problems might arise. On the other hand perhaps it's no longer an issue because arms development has made giant leaps into an age that makes LHP unnecessary.

I mean seriously how old are the members here like 12?

Do you knew what a LHD/LHA is?

It's used for marine expeditionary unit or MEU

More importantly it carrys the aviation combat element (ACE) for MEU
A LPD carrys ground combat element (GCE)
And LST the logistics combat element (LCE)

These 3 components make up the MEU or also known amphibious ready group ARG

And F35B is not a requirement for the above only the USN uses it for fixed wing combat support and with F35B they can do recon, surveillance, SEAD etc Which the harriers can't do essentially freeing up a Nimitz Class

Even RAN did not opt for the USN role as it requires reconfiguration of the LHD and it's very expensive and adds only 4-6 x F35B not enough to justify

You need refueling, rearming, storage and heat resistant flight deck as well as new operating procedure

Mixing rotary and fixed wing on a single unit is no kids play

A lot of people are throwing around words like LHD and F35B together without knowing what they actually mean, I suggest you do some research before hand

Last edited:
I mean seriously how old are the members here like 12?

Do you knew what a LHD/LHA is?

It's used for marine expeditionary unit or MEU

More importantly it carrys the aviation combat element (ACE) for MEU
A LPD carrys ground combat element (GCE)
And LST the logistics combat element (LCE)

These 3 components make up the MEU or also known amphibious ready group ARG

And F35B is not a requirement for the above only the USN uses it for fixed wing combat support and with F35B they can do recon, surveillance, SEAD etc Which the harriers can't do essentially freeing up a Nimitz Class

Even RAN did not opt for the USN role as it requires reconfiguration of the LHD and it's very expensive and adds only 4-6 x F35B not enough to justify

You need refueling, rearming, storage and heat resistant flight deck as well as new operating procedure

Mixing rotary and fixed wing on a single unit is no kids play

A lot of people are throwing around words like LHD and F35B together without knowing what they actually mean, I suggest you do some research before hand
Relax,why so angry?
You could explain without getting frustrated,maybe teach members instead of what you are doing?
Its the first LHD,maybe it will be used as a testbed for future configurations and further LHD development or procurements?

Back
Top Bottom