What's new

Turkish engineers experiment with plasma propulsion (aircraft)

We don't need to brag like certain countries :)

You can see the production in the video if you are interested.

It is not made of paper.

I hope you are referring to Iran - the country that makes a fool of itself by producing gems like Qaher 313 :lol:

Seems fraud otherwise it would have been translated and put on multiple english news websites

Watch the video on post #10, if you are familiar with the fluid dynamics you will understand.

Mate, they are saying Ionized Air = Plasma. Not the plasma we know.

From what i understand there are stripes on the wing. When they activate they ionize the air, flow characteristic above the wing change, hence lifting force of the wing change. By differentiating and controlling the lifting force of the wing in different sections. They have been able to steer the aircraft. Impressive. :)

Dude, Thanks for clarification, but the only plasma that I know is an ionized gas in the low pressure, and mostly(not always) formed by high electric voltage, and current ;) In fabrication of electronic devices, some of techniques, including for etching, and also deposition use plasma. I did not understand what other plasma you thought that I may think about it. :undecided: Anyway, it seems to be an interesting technique, although we need to wait for some technical details to be published later, and understand how they are going to ionize the air and how to control it. I don't know how much plasma, the steering requires, but, if it is not much amount of plasma, I was thinking that they may have an air valve to some cylinder inside the fighter, then expand the cylinder, and then apply a pulse of high voltage, create the plasma, and then inject it close to wings or wherever else which is necessary. But, I think the most probable usage of plasma in this case is what Skulls and Bones has explained here:

Maybe I'm wrong, but a plausible explanation of it can be, if you ionize the air in one wing, there will be a contrast of air density and pressure on both wings, hence it can be steered.

this scenario makes sense as well. now the question is how they are going to make the air close to wings convert to plasma state? I think we need to know the technical details to answer this question. But, I am sure it is not easy to do at all. :-)

Last edited:
but the only plasma that I know is an ionized gas in the low pressure, and mostly(not always) formed by high electric voltage, and current In fabrication of electronic devices, some of techniques, including for etching, and also deposition use plasma. I did not understand what other plasma you thought that I may think about it. A

When some one says Plasma, i only understand this. ;)

Anyway, it sees to be an interesting technique, although we need to wait for some technical details to be published later, and understand how they are going to ionize the air and how to control it. I don't know how much plasma, the steering requires, but, if it is not much amount of plasma, I was thinking that they may have an air valve to some cylinder inside the fighter, then expand the cylinder, and then apply a pulse of high voltage, create the plasma, and then inject it close to wings or wherever else which is necessary.

Hımm... How they are Ionizing air, you saw that stripes on the wing right ? And there was a chirping sound it means that those stripes are resonating at extreme speed. When air flow hits the stripes it gets ionized, hence speed of the flow increase.

lift.jpg

Karman_trefftz.gif

Now the speed of the air above the wing is increased, it means more lift force. Let's say you activated the stripes only in your left wing, left wing will try to move upwards, while your right wing is still in the same positon. That will turn your aircraft to right. And vice versa. I'm not a knowledgeable much in avionics but these guys says, they can control the entire steering with this method.

Dude, Thanks for clarification, but the only plasma that I know is an ionized gas in the low pressure, and mostly(not always) formed by high electric voltage, and current ;) In fabrication of electronic devices, some of techniques, including for etching, and also deposition use plasma. I did not understand what other plasma you thought that I may think about it. :undecided: Anyway, it seems to be an interesting technique, although we need to wait for some technical details to be published later, and understand how they are going to ionize the air and how to control it. I don't know how much plasma, the steering requires, but, if it is not much amount of plasma, I was thinking that they may have an air valve to some cylinder inside the fighter, then expand the cylinder, and then apply a pulse of high voltage, create the plasma, and then inject it close to wings or wherever else which is necessary. But, I think the most probable usage of plasma in this case is what Skulls and Bones has explained here:

:-)
He thought plasma TV :lol:

Thanks for you complete explanation. Actually that plasma is also based on the concept of plasma state of materials ;) so, they are the same thing in their nature. Your explanation is what was I thinking as the scenario number two that Skulls and Bones said it as well. they are making the air in one side of a wing to convert to plasma state, then the aircraft can have a turn due to the difference generated in air pressure.

When some one says Plasma, i only understand this. ;)

Hımm... How they are Ionizing air, you saw that stripes on the wing right ? And there was a chirping sound it means that those stripes are resonating at extreme speed. When air flow hits the stripes it gets ionized, hence speed of the flow increase.

lift.jpg

Karman_trefftz.gif

Now the speed of the air above the wing is increased, it means more lift force. Let's say you activated the stripes only in your left wing, left wing will try to move upwards, while your right wing is still in the same positon. That will turn your aircraft to right. And vice versa. I'm not a knowledgeable much in avionics but these guys says, they can control the entire steering with this method.

He thought plasma TV :lol:

In electronics, one of the most used stuff to simulate electronic circuits is SPICE, but when you usually hear the word spice from ordinary people, they usually mean the spice TV channel, not the electronic simulator. :rofl:
At the beginning, I thought that @Sinan is joking and refers to some other thing which uses the word plasma and I am not getting it. :undecided:

Last edited:
Thanks for you complete explanation. Actually that plasma is also based on the concept of plasma state of materials ;) so, they are the same thing in their nature. Your explanation is what was I thinking as the scenario number two that Skulls and Bones said it as well. they are making the air in one side of a wing to convert to plasma state, then the aircraft can have a turn due to the difference generated in air pressure.

Yeap mate, exactly. and think about all the control elements, rods, servo motors which controls flaps-rudders are gone. More lift force, and less drag force on wings. Meaning extended range, speed, altitude and more payload. This can be very useful in UAVs. Can't wait for 30 August. :)

Yeap mate, exactly. and think about all the control elements, rods, servo motors which controls flaps-rudders are gone. More lift force, and less drag force on wings. Meaning extended range, speed, altitude and more payload. This can be very useful in UAVs. Can't wait for 30 August. :)

Yup, it is a very interesting, and novel technology. I already have tons of questions, like the impact of this method in RCS of the plane(is there any impact?), ... and I am eagerly waiting for them to show it flying, and get my answers when they publish more of the technical details. :)

In electronics, one of the most used stuff to simulate electronic circuits is SPICE, but when you usually hear the word spice from ordinary people, they usually mean the spice TV channel, not the electronic simulator. :rofl:
At the beginning, I thought that @Sinan is joking and refers to some other thing which uses the word plasma and I am not getting it. :undecided:
I'm not sure, you have to ask him.

I explained what i understood of the plasma at #23.

Yup, it is a very interesting, and novel technology. I already have tons of questions, like the impact of this method in RCS of the plane(is there any impact?), ... and I am eagerly waiting for them to show it flying, and get my answers when they publish more of the technical details. :)

Yeah.... like can it scatter radar waves ? I have 0 knowledge on radar waves behavior but think about they are not hitting on stable surface but a resonating surface will it have the abilitiy to scatter them instead of reflecting.... ıt would be really interesting. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol::lol::lol:
he means other applications of plasma. ;)
I explained what i understood of the plasma at #23.
:tup: Thanks buddy. for one second, I thought you may have joking with the word plasma before.
Anyway, guys, let's get back to topic. ;)

Yeah.... like can it scatter radar waves ? I have 0 knowledge on radar waves behavior but think about they are not hitting on stable surface but a resonatning surface will it have the abilitiy to scatter them instead of reflecting.... ıt would be really interesting. :)
Yeah, that's exactly my question number 1. :)
Anyway, I agree that it is really interesting, and also an ultra complex concept to be implemented, and also to be controlled.

Back
Top Bottom