What's new

Turkey to develop air defence laser system

Kamil_baku

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Turkish companies Aselsan, Roketsan, Ermeksan, and Saver, along with the Informatics and Information Security Research Center (Bilgem) within the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (Tubitak) and Gebze Technical University, have joined forces to turn their laser weapon studies into the development of a laser-based air-defence system.

Under the initiative the high power laser (YGL) project run by Tubitak-Bilgem will be adapted into a ship- and land-based air-defence system employing a 20 kW (4×5 kW) laser source to defend against rockets, missiles, and artillery rounds, the state-owned Anatolia news agency reported on 19 May.

The Air Defense Laser System, consisting of a high-power laser resonator (20-60 kW), high-power laser resistor, target tracking system, command-and-control system, and various other subsystems will engage incoming threats from a range of 3 km.

We’re officially starting the futuristic weapons.
Turkish companies Aselsan, Roketsan, Ermeksan, and Saver, along with the Informatics and Information Security Research Center (Bilgem) within the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (Tubitak) and Gebze Technical University, have joined forces to turn their laser weapon studies into the development of a laser-based air-defence system.

Under the initiative the high power laser (YGL) project run by Tubitak-Bilgem will be adapted into a ship- and land-based air-defence system employing a 20 kW (4×5 kW) laser source to defend against rockets, missiles, and artillery rounds, the state-owned Anatolia news agency reported on 19 May.

The Air Defense Laser System, consisting of a high-power laser resonator (20-60 kW), high-power laser resistor, target tracking system, command-and-control system, and various other subsystems will engage incoming threats from a range of 3 km.
thats great

US Navy already has operational high energy based weapons and some airborne laser weapons are also installed on missile defence aeroplanes

thats great

US Navy already has operational high energy based weapons and some airborne laser weapons are also installed on missile defence aeroplanes
Turkey is the second country after the USA that could develop single born 5kw laser weapon.. neighter China, nor Germany could develop it yet..

Turkey is the second country after the USA that could develop single born 5kw laser weapon.. neighter China, nor Germany could develop it yet..
are they gas or chemical based laers? or is it something confidential?
I can understand its highly sought after commodity with a lot of hope for future
current challenges are weight , volume and energy requirement to generate sustainable and sufficient Laser beam at a distance comparable to conventional weapons to make it cost effective and feasible

But I think railgun technology should come first and that too has Turkish stamp on it in the form of Tufaan. railguns are extremely accurate, devastating and speeds of 7 Mac or 2.5K m/s and more.
where only moving object is the projectile and a solid metal slug can turn into plasma due to high resistance caused by hyper-sonic speeds
railgun technology might come first before lasers replacing the conventional guns run on gun powder based rounds

back to lasers though I didnt meant o deviate. lasers will definitely one day take over the conventional weapons. challenge is to make their platform compact , lighter and efficient

are they gas or chemical based laers? or is it something confidential?
I can understand its highly sought after commodity with a lot of hope for future
current challenges are weight , volume and energy requirement to generate sustainable and sufficient Laser beam at a distance comparable to conventional weapons to make it cost effective and feasible

But I think railgun technology should come first and that too has Turkish stamp on it in the form of Tufaan. railguns are extremely accurate, devastating and speeds of 7 Mac or 2.5K m/s and more.
where only moving object is the projectile and a solid metal slug can turn into plasma due to high resistance caused by hyper-sonic speeds
railgun technology might come first before lasers replacing the conventional guns run on gun powder based rounds

back to lasers though I didnt meant o deviate. lasers will definitely one day take over the conventional weapons. challenge is to make their platform compact , lighter and efficient
more detailed information.

Turkey's Tubitak Bilgem has developed and tested two laser systems that could potentially be deployed by the Turkish Land Forces Command (TLFC).

Both systems use a continuous wave laser and operate in the 1,070 nm (±10 nm) wavelength. A spokesperson declined to confirm the Technology Readiness Level of either of the systems, but did say that "they are at the laboratory testing phase".

The first is called the Armol Vehicle Mounted Laser System (VMLS). It is integrated on an Otokar Cobra 4x4 light armoured vehicle (LAV) that is used in large numbers by the TLFC and other organisations in Turkey.

Mounted in the rear of the Cobra is a 220 kW power source, and on the roof is the stabilised pan tilt high-power laser that is claimed to have a maximum output of up to 5 kW. The stabilised roof-mounted package has a traverse of 180° left and right, and an elevation from -30° to 95°.

In addition to the laser it also includes a thermal camera, daylight camera, laser rangefinder, and a laser illuminator.

Typical roles of the Armol VMLS are said to include dazzling cameras and other optics out to a maximum range of 7.5 km, as well as damaging unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) and improvised explosive devices (IED) at ranges of up to 1 km. It is to have growth potential to include a radar for tracking targets.

The second laser system is the Tumol rifle-mounted mobile laser system that was designed to neutralise UAVs and can be mounted on weapons fitted with a Picatinny rail.

You might have an idea, but you have not designed it yet.. Even germany designed small 1kw, we are talking about 5kw single born laser..

more detailed information.

Turkey's Tubitak Bilgem has developed and tested two laser systems that could potentially be deployed by the Turkish Land Forces Command (TLFC).

Both systems use a continuous wave laser and operate in the 1,070 nm (±10 nm) wavelength. A spokesperson declined to confirm the Technology Readiness Level of either of the systems, but did say that "they are at the laboratory testing phase".

The first is called the Armol Vehicle Mounted Laser System (VMLS). It is integrated on an Otokar Cobra 4x4 light armoured vehicle (LAV) that is used in large numbers by the TLFC and other organisations in Turkey.

Mounted in the rear of the Cobra is a 220 kW power source, and on the roof is the stabilised pan tilt high-power laser that is claimed to have a maximum output of up to 5 kW. The stabilised roof-mounted package has a traverse of 180° left and right, and an elevation from -30° to 95°.

In addition to the laser it also includes a thermal camera, daylight camera, laser rangefinder, and a laser illuminator.

Typical roles of the Armol VMLS are said to include dazzling cameras and other optics out to a maximum range of 7.5 km, as well as damaging unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) and improvised explosive devices (IED) at ranges of up to 1 km. It is to have growth potential to include a radar for tracking targets.

The second laser system is the Tumol rifle-mounted mobile laser system that was designed to neutralise UAVs and can be mounted on weapons fitted with a Picatinny rail.

You might have an idea, but you have not designed it yet.. Even germany designed small 1kw, we are talking about 5kw single born laser..

As of February 2014, the system had successfully targeted mortar and artillery shells in over 100 tests and engaged and destroyed small UAVs.

Not only we designed it, it's being tested and improved.
It should get into operation in the coming years

As of February 2014, the system had successfully targeted mortar and artillery shells in over 100 tests and engaged and destroyed small UAVs.

Not only we designed it, it's being tested and improved.
It should get into operation in the coming years
you dont understand the laser concept... you still can put 5 1kw laser to make 5kw. But there is a limit there...
Once you develop 5kw, you can rich higher levels as lets say if you mix 5x5 or 10x5kw=50.
It is the fact that only US and Turkey could develop 5kw(the reason i mentioned single born) laser weapon yet

you dont understand the laser concept... you still can put 5 1kw laser to make 5kw. But there is a limit there...
Once you develop 5kw, you can rich higher levels as lets say if you mix 5x5 or 10x5kw=50.
It is the fact that only US and Turkey could develop 5kw(the reason i mentioned single born) laser weapon yet
So much no sense,
Drone Dome
https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2018/...to-takeout-drones-up-to-2000-meters-away.html
https://www.uasvision.com/2019/01/02/rafaels-drone-dome-defeated-gatwick-drone/
Even upgraded thor uses 5kw laser
(old one)

i tell you again that you have no idea about Laser weapons..
from the size of lenses i can easily tell that they dont exceed 1kw..
Cause you have more Knowledge than Rafael.
Loled.
Stick to your real achievements, instead of faking new ones.

by the way, I really dont have any knowledge about Lasers, don't really need any to refute your claims tho.

Cause you have more Knowledge than Rafael.
Loled.
Stick to your real achievements, instead of faking new ones.

by the way, I really dont have any knowledge about Lasers, don't really need any to refute your claims tho.
as i mentioned above, then can put 5 1kw to make 5kw weapon, which will be enough for small UAVs. But, once you have 5kw single mode, you can built up way stronger laser weapon.. whats the difference..
as Rafael has optic, thermal camera experience, it will not be hard for Israel to develop it once they pfind the key technology because they are very connected with each other..

as i mentioned above, then can put 5 1kw to make 5kw weapon, which will be enough for small UAVs. But, once you have 5kw single mode, you can built up way stronger laser weapon.. whats the difference..
as Rafael has optic, thermal camera experience, it will not be hard for Israel to develop it once they pfind the key technology because they are very connected with each other..
There's only 1 optic in the full system, and that's being said in the articles I posted.
Atleast read before posting the same no sense in loops.
It feels like you're stuck in recursion

Back
Top Bottom