What's new

Turkey, Russia work on new plan for Syria

Gaara

Reaction score
Turkey, Russia work on new plan for Syria

With Russian support for President Bashar al-Assad seemingly wavering, Moscow and Turkey get set to map out a plan for ‘political change’ in Syria

Turkish government sources confirmed that Turkey and Russia have agreed to work on a plan for “political change” in Syria, following the Kremlin’s announcement that diplomats of both countries would “soon start working on new ideas” for ending the conflict in Syria. “Now we are doing our homework and Russia is doing theirs,” a high-ranking Turkish official, who asked not to be named, told the Hürriyet Daily News on Dec. 6; they could come to a stage of meeting on the issue “in weeks.”
Both Turkish and Russian officials confirmed that an agreement to start joint work on Syria was decided on by Russian President Vladimir Putin and Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdoğan during Putin’s visit to Istanbul on Dec. 3. According to Turkish sources, there was an agreement behind Putin’s remark that “We share the same views about what is going on in Syria” in the joint press conference with Erdoğan, which could be summarized in one sentence: Political change in Syria is necessary.

This expression is important to show the evolution of Russian policy regarding Syria, as a country which vetoed (together with China) the approval of any United Nations resolution on Syria. Putin had actually signaled a clarification in Istanbul on the state that his Syria policy reached by underlining that Russia “was not an advocate” of the Bashar Al-Assad regime in Syria; the highest-ranking move so far to distance Russia from the Baath regime in Damascus. Putin’s spokesman Dmitry Peskov moved this stance a step forward in a Dec. 5 statement in Ashgabat by saying that the “exit or the continuation of the Assad regime is absolutely not a must.” The statement could be read to mean that the continuation of the Assad regime as the only country in the Middle East and Mediterranean that provides a military base (in Tartus) for Russia is no longer that relevant.

According to Turkish sources, Russian and Turkish parties have also shared the view that the extension of the existing situation in Syria could mean more loss of life in the country and democracy would be the best regime for a “new Syria.”

Ankara and Moscow still do not fully agree on how to handle the political change in Syria. “Russia insists on a Syrian-owned process,” the ranking Turkish source told Daily News, “and we say that the Syrian opposition as it is now already consists of native elements.”

As both sides are doing their part to see whether a more result-oriented effort is possible (including rejected Russian proposals to Assad to secure a new life outside of Syria, in a Latin American country, for example), it appears that a conference next week might play a key role. That is the Friends of the Syrian People conference to be held on Dec. 12 in Rabat, Morocco, which the newly formed Syrian National Coalition is expected to attend for the first time. The Turkish side believes that depending on the structure and stance of the Syrian opposition in Morocco, there may be new steps from Russia that might speed up the process of political change in Syria.

MURAT YETK

The only solution would be is for Turkey to stop hosting and arming terrorists... that would stop the bloodshed in matter of days....

I feel , that best course of action is every country looks after their own affairs , Turkey does not needs war
Syria is good country it can handle its own things privately

I like that plan .. not sure why Turkey has to get involved .. they have good thing going in world why ruine it

I don`t like the idea of arming 100-200 rebels and giving them heavy weapons and bringing in a fake democracy just look how it failed in Libya

The only solution would be is for Turkey to stop hosting and arming terrorists... that would stop the bloodshed in matter of days....

Or even easier, Assad resigns, Which is likely since he already asked for asylum in Latin america... coward.

If we have started to hear these kinds of statements coming from Russia and news about Syrian regime's chemical mass destruction weapons coming from western countries, that means Assad has only 4 weeks left.

Or even easier, Assad resigns, Which is likely since he already asked for asylum in Latin america... coward.

Syrians decide if he leaves or stays... you have no say in this one. which is why Turkey is trying so hard to topple Alasad, and they failed... and they have begged NATO many times to go to war....

If we have started to hear these kinds of statements coming from Russia and news about Syrian regime's chemical mass destruction weapons coming from western countries, that means Assad has only 4 weeks left.
Last year you people said he will be done in weeks... and now we almost in 2013

Syrians decide if he leaves or stays... you have no say in this one. which is why Turkey is trying so hard to topple Alasad, and they failed... and they have begged NATO many times to go to war....

Last year you people said he will be done in weeks... and now we almost in 2013
HAHAHAHAHAHA u should understand the media, u have had nearly 20 month of verbal condamnation but nothing real, now the FSA is on damascus gate pouding the airport, and the fuss abt the chemical weapons, means assad is finished.
The question now is only who will replace him, otherwise u should consider him a dead man moving

No matter what happens in Syria it will be bad.

Scenario 1: Assad manages it to get the country under control
No war at our borders but an enemy more.

Scenario 2: Assad loses, the FSY wins
Instability everywhere: PKK in the North, Islamists everywhere, probably mass-slaughter of Alawites. Probably an Sunni government, closer ties with us.

Pre Arabspring:
Assad was secular, the country had stability, the PKK was almost non-existent in Syria and trade was booming. Turkish influence was growing.
So what Assad was Alawite and does not represent the majority of the population? The way I see it, as a Turk, it was heaven on earth compared to whatever happens next.

HAHAHAHAHAHA u should understand the media, u have had nearly 20 month of verbal condamnation but nothing real, now the FSA is on damascus gate pouding the airport, and the fuss abt the chemical weapons, means assad is finished.
The question now is only who will replace him, otherwise u should consider him a dead man moving
and your sources are what? Aljazeera and Alarabieyh hahahah (I love the grad missile story) anyways..... you have been saying that for years.... PLUS YOU ARE NOT SYRIAN... THIS IS A DUPLICATE ACCOUNT YOU MADE...

Note that the chemical weapons 'fuss', is an excuse to invade your nation. Whether you support the FSA or not, I know you don't support an invasion of your homeland by another nation.

Sir please wait for arab help and our help, it is coming, be patient, have faith.

Turkey work with Israel, dont trust them. trust your arab brothers, they are the best

Bro,the same 'Arabs' are destroying Syria.From where all these salafists pouring in to Syria?the same Arab countries.
Arabs never fail at backstabbing each other.you give them some sectarian cause,they easily cut your head with knife.Syria is bleeding,because of the same Arabs.I'm not generalizing,I'm talking about certain Arab countries and I suppose everyone know who they are.

Before the revolts,Syria's best friends in ME were Iran and Turkey,even then,Arabs didn't care about their 'brothers' in Syria.Now why do you think they will stop sending terror gangs to Syria?

Sir Iran are ok, they are building their own army, not like turkeys, they only know to work with israel.

Iran must support syria and work with arab brothers like you rightly point out

It's very clear you didn't get my point.plz read my post again.

Sir please wait for arab help and our help, it is coming, be patient, have faith.

Turkey work with Israel, dont trust them. trust your arab brothers, they are the best

You mean like your atta turk? who ignore us and our arab friends? turkey is a turkey, work with Israel.

Arab help, you're cracking me up. Arab "brothers" and "the best", there is no such thing as Arab brotherhood and if Arab countries are the best at something then its definiteley not ruling countries or help other people out.

Turkey is Turkey and will do as it wants to, whether its working together with Israel or not. And please don't take Atatürks name in your ****** mouth again.

My statement stays at it is
No matter what happens in Syria it will be bad.

Scenario 1: Assad manages it to get the country under control
No war at our borders but an enemy more.

Scenario 2: Assad loses, the FSY wins
Instability everywhere: PKK in the North, Islamists everywhere, probably mass-slaughter of Alawites. Probably an Sunni government, closer ties with us.

Pre Arabspring:
Assad was secular, the country had stability, the PKK was almost non-existent in Syria and trade was booming. Turkish influence was growing.
So what Assad was Alawite and does not represent the majority of the population? The way I see it, as a Turk, it was heaven on earth compared to whatever happens next.

Back
Top Bottom